Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacklisted by a Dentist

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe try and sue for mental trauma and pain?
    I hope that you're taking the piss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Dav010 wrote: »
    At the end of treatment the patient is automatically discharged. Continuity only exists when a treatment plan is prescribed and is agreed to.

Patients are entitled to move, clinicians are entitled to refuse treatment.

The op wasnt refused they were ignored. Dentist is a coward and poor one at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

declan2693 wrote: »
    The op wasnt refused they were ignored. Dentist is a coward and poor one at that.

the patient was not given preference by reception staff over other patients in the hope they would go elsewhere, this was to spare the patients feelings, as people often get indignant, feel upset and start internet threads and the likes when they feel rejected. I would see it as trying to spare the patients feelings.

Dentists are generally not cowardly being very used to dealing with scared, angry and people in pain and doing a difficult job while under stress. The dentist has seen literally hundreds of other people in the mean time, and they merely made a decision based on the difficult interaction that it was best for the OP not to be seen again. Decision made, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

the patient was not given preference by reception staff over other patients in the hope they would go elsewhere, this was to spare the patients feelings, as people often get indignant, feel upset and start internet threads and the likes when they feel rejected. I would see it as trying to spare the patients feelings.

Dentists are generally not cowardly being very used to dealing with scared, angry and people in pain and doing a difficult job while under stress. The dentist has seen literally hundreds of other people in the mean time, and they merely made a decision based on the difficult interaction that it was best for the OP not to be seen again. Decision made, move on.

Nonsense. The way the practice behaved is not a professional way to interact with patients. "Not given preference..." :rolleyes:

The dentist was happy to leave this guy waiting in pain in the false hope of an appointment. If he was never going to get one he should've been told straight out first time that was the case.

Unprofessional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Nonsense. The way the practice behaved is not a professional way to interact with patients. "Not given preference..." :rolleyes:

The dentist was happy to leave this guy waiting in pain in the false hope of an appointment. If he was never going to get one he should've been told straight out first time that was the case.

Unprofessional

There are loads of dentists around. Loads of chain clinics open like mcdonalds every day of the week, the patient only waits if they want to. The receptionist should have said outright there were no more appointments I agree. But as I said probably done to avoid embarrassment for the patient. The receptionist is not a "professional," but maybe was being too kind.

Remember in this, the dentist and staff are very used to dealing with people, however the OP is not used to dealing with dentists and their staff. More than likely the fault lies squarely on the OP, and the version of events given is the one that suits the OP's narrative here. People like to beat "professionals" over the head with this notion that because they are professionals they have to put up with whatever nonsense patients decide to come up with because they dont believe or trust their professional opinion in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Why did you drink through a straw when told not to? You must've been gumming for a pint? I'm trying to extract the truth here as you havnt been filling in the gaps...to get to the root of the story.
    I'm not saying what you said is false but an amalgam of what they said versus what you remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There are loads of dentists around. Loads of chain clinics open like mcdonalds every day of the week, the patient only waits if they want to. The receptionist should have said outright there were no more appointments I agree. But as I said probably done to avoid embarrassment for the patient. The receptionist is not a "professional," but maybe was being too kind.

Remember in this, the dentist and staff are very used to dealing with people, however the OP is not used to dealing with dentists and their staff. More than likely the fault lies squarely on the OP, and the version of events given is the one that suits the OP's narrative here. People like to beat "professionals" over the head with this notion that because they are professionals they have to put up with whatever nonsense patients decide to come up with because they dont believe or trust their professional opinion in the first place.

I personally cannot see the kindness in leading someone to believe that an appointment to treat their pain will come when it is their intention to never give them one. You'd think that if they were used to dealing with people they would understand that lying to people would eventually cause an issue. That's why they should have told him to go elsewhere in the first call.

It was the dentist that put their member of staff in that awkward position. The dentist should have dealt with the patient and be basically up front and honest with them.

In this case the dentist decided to hide behind the receptionist. The failure to communicate properly is entirely the dentist's issue. Didn't communicate properly to ensure the patient understood the instructions to avoid dry socket, didn't communicate properly when this issue was highlighted and didn't communicate properly when the dentist decided that the OP wasn't too be treated by the practice again.

So yes a formal apology is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

You should apologise to the dentist for your outburst and see if she'll agree to have you back then.

outburst? give me a break it was a passing comment done in a civil manner
    Wesser wrote: »
    local anaesthsia does not cause drowsiness or inability to follow instructions.

well it did in my case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

Your reluctance to consider an apology (irrespective of blame) to move on from this matter says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,686 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Stick a tenner in a card.
    Everyone loves to get a tenner in a card!

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    Your reluctance to consider an apology (irrespective of blame) to move on from this matter says it all really

but why should i apologise if i did nothing wrong? thats just ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Barred from seeing 2 dentists. Says all it needs to about you really. Fair play to the dentist for not seeing you. Too many people think they can do and say what they want if they're paying for a service, your inability to follow simply instructions landed you were you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fryup wrote: »
    i had a tooth extraction and within two days i developed a dry socket which is damn painful...so i went back to get that seen to, she gave it a dressing and she said that i should avoid any hot drinks as this disrupts the healing process..and i just said .."i wish you gave me a list of do's & don't's so i would have known what food and drinks to avoid"... and she snaps "i told you everything you needed to know!" in which i replied ...yes but i was under anesthetic i wasn't quite with it ..she then just ignored me showed me the door and ushered me out, rude?

The dentist who I attend gives you a list of do’s and don’ts following whatever procedure. A laminated hard copy rather then just ‘mentioned’ while he is treating you and is yours to take home. In addition he invites in whomever is accompanying you in my case the girlfriend and will just briefly outline the procedure he has carried out, that list etc and what should be expected after in terms of care, pain, medication and everything.

When you are under sedation it’s very possible in the aftermath to forget things, instructions etc so to have a hard copy and a loved one in the loop is a good thing, doesn’t take huge effort really and to be honest as much as I’m bigging up my guy it’s fairly obvious that the dentist mentioned above in the context discussed is quite a ways away from the desired standard. Making a formal complaint would be appropriate based on what I’m reading.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Strumms wrote: »
    The dentist who I attend gives you a list of do’s and don’ts following whatever procedure. A laminated hard copy rather then just ‘mentioned’ while he is treating you and is yours to take home. In addition he invites in whomever is accompanying you in my case the girlfriend and will just briefly outline the procedure he has carried out, that list etc and what should be expected after in terms of care, pain, medication and everything.

When you are under sedation it’s very possible in the aftermath to forget things, instructions etc so to have a hard copy and a loved one in the loop is a good thing, doesn’t take huge effort really and to be honest as much as I’m bigging up my guy it’s fairly obvious that the dentist mentioned above in the context discussed is quite a ways away from the desired standard. Making a formal complaint would be appropriate based on what I’m reading.

He wasn't sedated, it was local.

I've had a lot of work done, all under local. Never have I been drowsy or forgot my post procedure dos and donts.

Make an appointment with a new dentist, get on with your life.
    Why would you want to go to someone who doesn't want you there.

While I agree with the sentiment, leaving a patient in pain for a fortnight is not exactly ethical??

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

There does seem to be a lot more to it and we are only getting your side.

If you want to be seen again, you will do the adult thing and go in and try to resolve the issue with the Dentist.

Otherwise, travel the 20 miles and see someone else.

The arrogance of some in the professional classes in Ireland is astonishing. We've some good examples of how it should be done on here and the OPs case isn't one of them.

I have an excellent dentist and he gives you a sheet of dos and don'ts after an extraction and also to ring immediately if there is pain, infection etc. This is what should be expected.

I've had a lot of work done, all under local. Never have I been drowsy or forgot my post procedure dos and donts.

well good for you, but thats your experience ..not mine

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

This thread is just going around in circles though.

All you want here is for people to tell you that the dentist was in the wrong.

Whatever you do though, the dentist still does not have to see you.

The adult thing would be to go in, Meet with the dentist and resolve this.

He wasn't sedated, it was local.

That’s great, no problem. I was sedated on the other hand but DID forget and was glad I had that reference sheet, a simple bit of A4 paper which saved any potential damage.

Not being sedated ? I’d still issue that instruction document, people might have a medical issue which can impact memory, elderly whereby they might just not remember , a dentistry phobia which the stress of the visit in its entirety would cause them not to remember ‘everything’.

It’s an A4 sheet of paper and it would have been the professional thing to do to issue each patient with one.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^

exactly, standard practice i would have thought for a standard procedure

The arrogance of some in the professional classes in Ireland is astonishing. We've some good examples of how it should be done on here and the OPs case isn't one of them.

I have an excellent dentist and he gives you a sheet of dos and don'ts after an extraction and also to ring immediately if there is pain, infection etc. This is what should be expected.

Correct. Thats good, responsible dental ‘care’ right there. The ‘ohhh you forgot what I told you, so fûck you’ attitude is not going to win many people over, it’s just not good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    This thread is just going around in circles though.

All you want here is for people to tell you that the dentist was in the wrong.

Whatever you do though, the dentist still does not have to see you.

The adult thing would be to go in, Meet with the dentist and resolve this.

Hundred percent agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Correct. Thats good, responsible dental ‘care’ right there. The ‘ohhh you forgot what I told you, so fûck you’ attitude is not going to win many people over, it’s just not good service.

Have we now got to the point that we have such little faith in ourselves to comprehend and remember simple instructions, that we expect someone to write them down for us, so that we don’t forget? There is a reason for people to have reached a certain age to be capable of consent, the assumption is that at the age, you have the mental competency to understand, consider and then make a decision. While I don’t think the dentist handled the situation well, I’d be embarrassed as an adult if I thought I needed simple instructions to be written down for me. Maybe that’s the way society is gone now.

The risks and after effects of sedation are very different from those of local anaesthetic, your mental condition is effected afterwards to the point where you are unable to say, drive a car. It would be a requirement due to this altered state that post-op instructions be given in written form. Most procedures are however done with LA so mental acuity would not be effected. Outside of health board clinics, most dentists see patients who are over 16 and as such, verbal instructions are standard, and all that is required. The reason for this, most adults can understand and follow the verbal instructions and don’t need them written down.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well its good standard practice for one thing

and as Strumms perfectly said above...
    I’d still issue that instruction document, people might have a medical issue which can impact memory, elderly whereby they might just not remember , a dentistry phobia which the stress of the visit in its entirety would cause them not to remember ‘everything’.

Have we now got to the point that we have such little faith in ourselves to comprehend and remember simple instructions, that we expect someone to write them down for us, so that we don’t forget? There is a reason for people to have reached a certain age to be capable of consent, the assumption is that at the age, you have the mental competency to understand, consider and then make a decision. While I don’t think the dentist handled the situation well, I’d be embarrassed as an adult if I thought I needed simple instructions to be written down for me. Maybe that’s the way society is gone now.

The risks and after effects of sedation are very different from those of local anaesthetic, your mental condition is effected afterwards to the point where you are unable to say, drive a car. It would be a requirement due to this altered state that post-op instructions be given in written form. Most procedures are however done with LA so mental acuity would not be effected. Outside of health board clinics, most dentists see patients who are over 16 and as such, verbal instructions are standard, and all that is required. The reason for this, most adults can understand and follow the verbal instructions and don’t need them written down.

Understanding at the time of being issued...fine...Remembering ALL of the care guidelines...? I was issued with about 12 of them, issued straight after the procedure, hardcopy, laminated to take home, simple and professional, covering ALL avenues. The dentist DID go over them and I pretty much remembered it all but to have that reference was great and I referred to it twice. Professional.

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well its good standard practice for one thing

and as Strumms perfectly said above...

I think most patients have a dental phobia.

I also suspect most dentists would take extra measures with patients with mental conditions or reduced capacity to understand/follow instructions. I’m sorry, I haven’t read the whole thread, did you post that you have a condition that reduces your ability to follow simple instructions? If you have, then certainly the dentist should have given written instructions to you/your family/carer.

Something really doesn’t add up with your opening post. Dentists deal with nervous and difficult patients every day of the week, and they don’t move them on just because of one mild comment made while they are in pain, if they did, they would be losing huge volumes of patients. I suspect your comment either wasn’t as innocuous as you say, or this wasn’t the first time.

Understanding at the time of being issued...fine...Remembering ALL of the care guidelines...? I was issued with about 12 of them, issued straight after the procedure, hardcopy, laminated to take home, simple and professional, covering ALL avenues. The dentist DID go over them and I pretty much remembered it all but to have that reference was great and I referred to it twice. Professional.

I suspect most would not need to memorise them, don’t smoke, don’t drink alcohol, chew on the other side, keep it clean etc etc, you need these written down after being told verbally, for you to follow? Crikey.

Again, when sedation is used as in your case, your mental state is altered so you may not remember the post op conversation. But with local anaesthetic.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Dav010 wrote:
    Again, when sedation is used as in your case, your mental state is altered so you may not remember the post op conversation. But with local anaesthetic.......

If you have a look at the posts you'll see the other dentist in the practise has already kicked the OP out. It wasn't a one off incident.

• Advertisement

I suspect your comment either wasn’t as innocuous as you say, or this wasn’t the first time.

hand on heart no bs

it was innocuous and it was the first and only time

*and yes i didn't remember all the details of what she said after the extraction, people do forget
    RossieMan wrote: »
    If you have a look at the posts you'll see the other dentist in the practise has already kicked the OP out. It wasn't a one off incident.

if you read the post correctly...the first/main dentist has prevented me from seeing the other dentist..i had no interaction with the other dentist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement