Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacklisted by a Dentist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Every dentist knows that anaesthesia affects people differently. Any time I ever visited a dentist and had work done I always received a WRITTEN instruction as to what I should and shouldn't do afterwards. The complaint should be about not receiving written instructions after an operation as opposed to being blacklisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

hgfj wrote: »
    Every dentist knows that anaesthesia affects people differently. Any time I ever visited a dentist and had work done I always received a WRITTEN instruction as to what I should and shouldn't do afterwards. The complaint should be about not receiving written instructions after an operation as opposed to being blacklisted.

Absolutely no requirement to give written instructions.

Every dentist knows local anaesthetic effects people in the same way, it makes the tissues around the tooth numb.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dav010 wrote: »
    Absolutely no requirement to give written instructions.

Every dentist knows local anaesthetic effects people in the same way, it makes the tissues around the tooth numb.

It's a good policy all the same for major work. TLC and quality customer service!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

fryup wrote: »
    I've just discovered that i've been blacklisted by my local Dentist...why? because back in feb i made a teeny weeny critical comment, that she couldn't accept:rolleyes:

For the past fortnight i've had terrible gum pain and i was trying to make an appointment and the receptionist was trying to fob me off by saying they were too busy...so this morning i called again and the receptionist confessed that the dentist doesn't want me on her books anymore.

So she basically got the receptionist to lie to me during the previous phone calls,

should i make a complaint to the hse or dental board, seems very unprofessional behaviour?

Lol never heard of a dentist blacklist in my life. Move on.

What was the complaint?

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's a good policy all the same for major work. TLC and quality customer service!

A fair point, but verbal instructions are the norm. Is written instructions any better customer service than verbal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

is_that_so wrote: »

Is an extraction under local "major" work?

I would say no. I got a dry socket after an extraction which the dentist blamed on me drinking with a straw. Was it on the written instructions I received not to drink with a straw? No. Nor was I told not to do so.

Anytime I've had issues after dental treatment the dentist concerned (two in different practices) have done follow up work for little or no charge. In one case I'd a root canal and the dentist missed a tiny bit of nerve and the entire procedure had to be redone probably 3 hours of his time and no charge.aIi fully expected to be charged and was dreading the bill.

I'd not be making sarky comments in circstances where my actions caused rework full stop and in the case of the root canal above didn't either as it was a mistake

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Firstly you need to clarify that the receptionist was actually correct in what she was telling you.
    Then you need to decide what your ideal end result is.
    Do you want to re-establish a good working relationship? Or do you want to punish them, stress you both, & relinquish any future working relationship for ever more?

There are 3 sides to this story; yours, theirs,& the truth.
    It can be exhausting & draining constantly having to "turn the other cheek"& "be the bigger person" all under the guise of "being professional". Your comment may have been the final straw. Or maybe the dentist isn't a nice person. Or maybe there's a personality clash. It happens.
    Sure, you can be petty& vindictive- or you can be a mature adult,& address this like a mature adult.

Dianthus wrote: »
    Firstly you need to clarify that the receptionist was actually correct in what she was telling you.
    Then you need to decide what your ideal end result is.
    Do you want to re-establish a good working relationship? Or do you want to punish them, stress you both, & relinquish any future working relationship for ever more?

There are 3 sides to this story; yours, theirs,& the truth.
    It can be exhausting & draining constantly having to "turn the other cheek"& "be the bigger person" all under the guise of "being professional". Your comment may have been the final straw. Or maybe the dentist isn't a nice person. Or maybe there's a personality clash. It happens.
    Sure, you can be petty& vindictive- or you can be a mature adult,& address this like a mature adult.

Personally I don’t see it as vindictive. The op feels aggrieved because he wasn’t given an appointment. That is understandable from his point of view. But better communication on the dentist’s part would have avoided this. The dentist should have instructed the receptionist to say that due to a breakdown in the relationship, the op may be better to seek treatment elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Stheno wrote: »
    Is an extraction under local "major" work?

I would say no. I got a dry socket after an extraction which the dentist blamed on me drinking with a straw. Was it on the written instructions I received not to drink with a straw? No. Nor was I told not to do so.

Anytime I've had issues after dental treatment the dentist concerned (two in different practices) have done follow up work for little or no charge. In one case I'd a root canal and the dentist missed a tiny bit of nerve and the entire procedure had to be redone probably 3 hours of his time and no charge.aIi fully expected to be charged and was dreading the bill.

I'd not be making sarky comments in circumstances where my actions caused rework full stop and in the case of the root canal above didn't either as it was a mistake
    Well my guy gives out sheets to beat the band and I appreciate it. I also get a good lecture to drive the point home. The advantage of written instructions is that a dentist doesn't forget to tell you something.

For an extraction I would say yes as there is a clear list of things you should and should not do in the first day or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Personally I don’t see it as vindictive. The op feels aggrieved because he wasn’t given an appointment. That is understandable from his point of view. But better communication on the dentist’s part would have avoided this. The dentist should have instructed the receptionist to say that due to a breakdown in the relationship, the op may be better to seek treatment elsewhere.

More than that, I would be inclined to say that they should have dealt with the situation directly themselves, & not left that particular awkward conversation to the receptionist to deal with.

Vindictive was probably a bit harsh. But it's certainly OTT to go nuclear& want to complain them to a regulatory body, *before* actually speaking to the dentist in person themselves to clarify exactly what is happening .

Totally agree there's a complete lack of communication on both sides.

• Advertisement

Dianthus wrote: »
    More than that, I would be inclined to say that they should have dealt with the situation directly themselves, & not left that particular awkward conversation to the receptionist to deal with.

Vindictive was probably a bit harsh. But it's certainly OTT to go nuclear& want to complain them to a regulatory body, *before* actually speaking to the dentist in person themselves to clarify exactly what is happening .

Totally agree there's a complete lack of communication on both sides.

Do you make PFO phone calls?

Do you make PFO phone calls?
    Never actually, I prefer to eyeball the person& have a face to face conversation.
    Fortunately it's only ever had to happen twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

HBC08 wrote: »

Dentists have to deal with awkward/unreasonable/dislikable members of the public every day.

yes i know...but...so do lots of other people in other professions > retail, the gaurds, nurses, security etc ..and don't get paid half as much as dentists...and they're all expected to show professional decorum

A fair point, but verbal instructions are the norm. Is written instructions any better customer service than verbal?

of course it is, you're less likely to forget the instructions when its written/printed down

yes i know...but...so do lots of other people in other professions > retail, the gaurds, nurses, security etc ..and don't get paid half as much as dentists...and they're all expected to show professional decorum

of course it is, you're less likely to forget the instructions when its written/printed down

While I understand your unhappiness, I’m not sure your complaint should hinge on your own ability to remember instructions once they are given verbally.

In relation to the other professions, apart from the nurse they are likely to be far more blunt in their request that you go somewhere else.

While I understand your unhappiness, I’m not sure your complaint should hinge on your own ability to remember instructions once they are given verbally.

but does my comment deserve me to be barred?? in all fairness?....seems petty to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

but does my comment deserve me to be barred?? in all fairness?....seems petty to me

If they have a facebook or are on a review site, give them poor feedback

Firstly you need to establish from the dentist themselves that you are in fact barred.
    Then you need to clarify if it solely based on that one innocuous comment, or if there are other issues at play.
    Until then it's all hearsay& assumptions .

You called her professionalism into question , personally I’d have explained the fact that even with written advice dry socket happens. Sometimes we get a bad vibe from patients that they are a pain in the ass and want to move them on. Not saying you are, but maybe that is what she thought. It happens, lots of dentists out there, find one you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I think your dentist failed to use best practice. You hit a nerve with them by commenting on this. They aren't a good dentist so really its in your interest to get a better dentist.

my3cents wrote: »
    I think your dentist failed to use best practice. You hit a nerve with them by commenting on this. They aren't a good dentist so really its in your interest to get a better dentist.

What is best practice? Verbal instructions is all that is required, if the patient is over 16 they are capable of consent and legally assumed to be able to accept and understand verbal instructions.

You have no basis to infer that she is not a good dentist based on the op’s ability to follow those verbal instructions.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^

i was under anesthetic in severe discomfort, i was in no condition to be taking in verbal instructions ....printed instructions would have been much better under the circumstances

i never had issue with her before and was taken aback by the way she responded to me, very defensive

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

^^^^^^^^^^

i was under anesthetic in severe discomfort, i was in no condition to be taking in verbal instructions ....printed instructions would have been much better under the circumstances

What anaesthetic were you given - gas?

^^^^^^^^^^

When you say “under anaesthetic”, do you mean general anaesthetic where you were put to sleep for the procedure?

local ..but it made me very nauseous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

What is best practice? Verbal instructions is all that is required, if the patient is over 16 they are capable of consent and legally assumed to be able to accept and understand verbal instructions.

You have no basis to infer that she is not a good dentist based on the op’s ability to follow those verbal instructions.

I've a preference for in all cases giving written instructions and going through same with the patients.One can be very unlucky to get a dry socket..difficult extractions,lower arch extractions,failing to rinse with warm salt mouthwashes post operatively starting the following day with a lack of cleanliness,smoking.

I'd advise the OP to approach the dental surgeon with an open mind towards resolving the issue,seeking clarification as to whither his/her impression he/she is blacklisted is correct.Everybody can have a bad day and it is always to give one another a bit of slack.

It may be best for both parties to move on if the relationship has truly broken down.

Rather than going down the road of making a complaint to the IDC you can contact the Dental Complaints Resolution Service.

https://dentalcomplaints.ie/for-patients/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dont waste your time making complaints. Patients have the right to go see what ever dentist they like. Dentists have the right to see whatever patients they like. If the dentist has discharged you, and so long as you were not mid treatment, thats that.

Dentists dont discharge patients lightly, its a lot of hassle and time for them. Both parties should consider their role in the breakdown of the relationship and be self critical, and move on their separate ways learning from the experiance. Nobody like rejection but sometimes personalities clash. Why on earth would you want to go back to a dentist who you dont like and who doesn't like you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

i had a tooth extraction and within two days i developed a dry socket which is damn painful...so i went back to get that seen to, she gave it a dressing and she said that i should avoid any hot drinks as this disrupts the healing process..and i just said .."i wish you gave me a list of do's & don't's so i would have known what food and drinks to avoid"... and she snaps "i told you everything you needed to know!" in which i replied ...yes but i was under anesthetic i wasn't quite with it ..she then just ignored me showed me the door and ushered me out, rude?

Maybe try and sue for mental trauma and pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Dont waste your time making complaints. Patients have the right to go see what ever dentist they like. Dentists have the right to see whatever patients they like. If the dentist has discharged you, and so long as you were not mid treatment, thats that.

Dentists dont discharge patients lightly, its a lot of hassle and time for them. Both parties should consider their role in the breakdown of the relationship and be self critical, and move on their separate ways learning from the experiance. Nobody like rejection but sometimes personalities clash.

Why not? It's completely unprofessional to discharge a patient and not tell them. This dentist left a patient in pain while waiting for a non existent appointment to become available.

A formal apology is in order here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

local anaesthsia does not cause drowsiness or inability to follow instructions.

• Advertisement

Why not? It's completely unprofessional to discharge a patient and not tell them. This dentist left a patient in pain while waiting for a non existent appointment to become available.

A formal apology is in order here.

At the end of treatment the patient is automatically discharged. Continuity only exists when a treatment plan is prescribed and is agreed to.

Patients are entitled to move, clinicians are entitled to refuse treatment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement