Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Interesting developments. No Dan leavy or Michael Bent in the squad. Clarkson getting his chance on the bench.

Do people think his is the strongest team available based on form?

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Hugo Keenan (23)
    14. Jordan Larmour (53)
    13. Garry Ringrose (79)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (52)
    11. Jimmy O’Brien (28)
    10. Johnny Sexton (170) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (138)
    1. Cian Healy (225)
    2. Seán Cronin (189)
    3. Andrew Porter (70)
    4. Scott Fardy (68)
    5. James Ryan (44)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (183)
    7. Will Connors (22)
    8. Caelan Doris (36)

16. Rónan Kelleher (18)
    17. Ed Byrne (61)
    18. Tom Clarkson (4)
    19. Ross Molony (105)
    20. Jack Conan (97)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (98)
    22. Ross Byrne (94)
    23. Josh van der Flier (88)

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/preview/ringrose-returns-sexton-captains-leinster-munster/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Interesting developments. No Dan leavy or Michael Bent in the squad. Clarkson getting his chance on the bench.

15. Hugo Keenan (23)
    14. Jordan Larmour (53)
    13. Garry Ringrose (79)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (52)
    11. Jimmy O’Brien (28)
    9. Luke McGrath (138)
    1. Cian Healy (225)
    2. Seán Cronin (189)
    3. Andrew Porter (70)
    4. Scott Fardy (68)
    5. James Ryan (44)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (183)
    7. Will Connors (22)
    8. Caelan Doris (36)

16. Rónan Kelleher (18)
    17. Ed Byrne (61)
    18. Tom Clarkson (4)
    19. Ross Molony (105)
    20. Jack Conan (97)
    22. Ross Byrne (94)

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/preview/ringrose-returns-sexton-captains-leinster-munster/

6-2 Split on the Bench , potentially risky if an outside back gets a knock early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Next week's team will be dictated by who will be in the Ireland squad for the Wales game. So, Porter will definitely be unavailable next week, so no harm to give Bent a rest.

Not sure Leavy has forced his way into the team at all, but equally it's very likely that at least two of Doris, Connors, VDF and Ruddock will be missing next week so he'll be playing against Scarlets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    6-2 Split on the Bench , potentially risky if an outside back gets a knock early.

Personally think it's a bit of a risk alright, especially as I think Sexton has had to come off in the first half in 3 out of his 5 starters this season, and Ringrose is just back from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

15. Hugo Keenan (23)
    14. Jordan Larmour (53)
    13. Garry Ringrose (79)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (52)
    11. Jimmy O’Brien (28)
    9. Luke McGrath (138)
    1. Cian Healy (225)
    2. Seán Cronin (189)
    3. Andrew Porter (70)
    4. Scott Fardy (68)
    5. James Ryan (44)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (183)
    7. Will Connors (22)
    8. Caelan Doris (36)

16. Rónan Kelleher (18)
    17. Ed Byrne (61)
    18. Tom Clarkson (4)
    19. Ross Molony (105)
    20. Jack Conan (97)
    22. Ross Byrne (94)

JOB ahead of DK and Keliher? Is DK injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Not sure what the story is with Kearney. Hopefully it's just a rest.

JOB is pretty far ahead of Kelleher now though. He's starting Champions Cup games while the latter is a bit part Pro 12 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think its too early for Ringrose. I doubt he'll be 100% and could be quite rusty.
    Interesting to see Connors at 7. I don't think he deserves to be ahead of VDF.
    No Baird also! I was not surprised to see him omitted. Fardy is vastly experienced and Leo is picking the safer choice.
    I think we will lose this one. Our Frontline players haven't looked cohesive together and for some reason I think they have not been very good.
    Big chance for Clarkson though, he certainly will be chuffed to be selected.

Really disappointed for Tommy O'Brien. Got injured at the worst possible time. He started the season extremely well and I think was on the way to breaking into Leinsters strongest 23. He can play anywhere in the centres or back three and look comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Clegg wrote: »
    Really disappointed for Tommy O'Brien. Got injured at the worst possible time. He started the season extremely well and I think was on the way to breaking into Leinsters strongest 23. He can play anywhere in the centres or back three and look comfortable.

Fully agree.

If he didn't have his ankle injury he'd have European minutes and more interpro exposure by now.

He was scheduled to be back around now but there's been no update on him in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

What's the story with Toner? Need solid lineout at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

degsie wrote: »

not selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

degsie wrote: »

On a side note, he's one cap away from trying Gordon D'Arcy's all time caps record and (obviously) two away from being the standalone record.

Such a shame that its another record or moment that will happen without fans much like McFadden and Kearney's final appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dubinusa wrote: »
    No Baird also! I was not surprised to see him omitted.....

Baird was not good last week against Ulster A. He was anonymous in a game where he should have been a real sand-out player. I wonder if he's carrying an injury, but he would be nowhere near selection based on last week's performance, whatever caused it. .

Hopefully the injury picked up by JOB isn't too serious. Very pleased with the performances of Keenan, Henshaw and especially Ryan who is starting to regain his form of a few years ago.

Concerned about the overall performance of the team though. We just looked like we've regressed and we aren't as good as last season. Our set plays are still excellent, but accuracy at the breakdown, discipline and ability to keep pressure on the opposition have all declined.

Clegg wrote: »
    Hopefully the injury picked up by JOB isn't too serious. Very pleased with the performances of Keenan, Henshaw and especially Ryan who is starting to regain his form of a few years ago.

Concerned about the overall performance of the team though. We just looked like we've regressed and we aren't as good as last season. Our set plays are still excellent, but accuracy at the breakdown, discipline and ability to keep pressure on the opposition have all declined.

That was a really tough game in tough conditions.

We definitely could have and should have been better.

But the scrum was good. The lineout was better. The defence was also good.

Larmour ended the short term conversation for him being involved in green at 15 tho. Keenan should be having that Jersey.

Henshaw was absolutely immense i thought.

And it's great to see Ryan play like that again. He is so adept and winning the collisions in attack and defence just that bit better than his peers

2 more thoughts (not sure I'll do a full review. Hard to put myself through watching that again haha)

Ruddock was excellent. CJ is proven at international level. But with Doris at 8, does Ruddock offer more than CJ is at the moment?

Ross Molony is the best lineout forward in Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Our lineout is a huge problem, really not sure what’s going on but it’s often like 7 players who have never met each other at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

stephen_n wrote: »
    Our lineout is a huge problem, really not sure what’s going on but it’s often like 7 players who have never met each other at times.

I think COVID regulations is causing issues for Leinster and probably all teams.
    Standards have dropped across most teams across the leagues.
    Teams can't train with the intensity or close contact that they did.

ongarite wrote: »
    I think COVID regulations is causing issues for Leinster and probably all teams.

I think this has to be part of it.

Leinster for all their lineout woes have the 4th most successful lineout in the league despite it being a bit crap

Probably higher after Munsters showing tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We also have to remember the constant swapping in and out of guys, as Beur alluded to recently. Its going to affect the side in numerous areas. How often has our first choice team played together this year? Have they even gone 2 back to back weeks together? That's got to hurt our cohesion.

My big concerns right now are some of the silly penalties in kickable positions we've become prone to giving away. We should have paid for that today in reality, but were fortunate in that area. And we simply dont seem to be able to work with some refs well, being warmed somewhat regularly to stop shouting at them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Maybe my eyes have deceived me, but anytime I've watched Ryan this season, I thought he was good. Although the discipline seems to be a problem. I reckon they are using him differently now as compared to when he broke in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Maybe my eyes have deceived me, but anytime I've watched Ryan this season, I thought he was good. Although the discipline seems to be a problem. I reckon they are using him differently now as compared to when he broke in.

He was genuinely brilliant last night. You'd hardly think he was on the field judging by the TV coverage but his influence on the game was immense. It must have been soul destroying for Munster to go down the line with two penalties only for Ryan to get up and cleanly take both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

ongarite wrote: »

I’m sure it is having an impact. Though I’m not sure that covers the sense of confusion, where it seems they don’t know the calls. Timing issues, up early or late would be an occurrence I’d associate with lack of practice in training. Pods completely failing to go up seems like something else.

Calls often change depending on what area of the pitch you’re in. These errors often seem to occur in the opposition 22 though. Maybe that’s just a coincidence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

How many lineouts did they mess up last night? I only remember one where the backlifter (VDF?) didn't get Fardy up in the Munster 22 that Sexton caught. Maybe one Munster steal? Was actually impressed by our lineout given the conditions.

Bow down

EsfiI69XIAQph8g?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

How many lineouts did they mess up last night? I only remember one where the backlifter (VDF?) didn't get Fardy up in the Munster 22 that Sexton caught. Maybe one Munster steal? Was actually impressed by our lineout given the conditions.

We technically didn't lose a line out. We are down as 12 from 12. But there were def 2 we messed up and were lucky to retain. For me that's pretty good going all things considered.

molloyjh wrote: »
    We technically didn't lose a line out. We are down as 12 from 12. But there were def 2 we messed up and were lucky to retain. For me that's pretty good going all things considered.

Yep there was one overthrow that Sexton did well to recover (90% sure he was offside for it ha)

And then one that Munster disrupted but we regathered.

Kelleher had a strong performance from touch. Timely showing of throwing ahead of 6N

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Buer wrote: »
    He was genuinely brilliant last night. You'd hardly think he was on the field judging by the TV coverage but his influence on the game was immense. It must have been soul destroying for Munster to go down the line with two penalties only for Ryan to get up and cleanly take both.

You can't underestimate the Toland factor. As well as being largely clueless, he's usually only looking to praise Munster players in these games. Tooland more like!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement