Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They hold a Monopoly on power distribution, their lines carry the power, they are greedy and the brass plate energy companies are greedy, we are sleepwalking into a massive recession

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

your power comes from the same pool as the rest of the country, but if you want to play that game, we can cancel the national broadband scheme, look for Donegal to give back the LPT they took form other counties, hold off any MICA payments, etc.

you are part of an island you can't pick and choose when you want to be local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Unless you have a dedicated grid connected to 100% renewables, the electrons are a mix of renewable and fossil fuel as per the grid mix at the time of plugging in.

It's a she, so you think charities and the state should pay for her botoxed

Links don't work anymore , site is getting annoying

• Advertisement

So you'll be grand with us snipping the cables South of Bundoran,

That is a long way removed from claiming that renewable electricity is marketing chicanery, hype and greenwashing which is what the other poster claimed.

Charities by their very nature should pay where people can not.

Cath Falls is only 45MW. I’ll be quite alright with that. And the wind isn’t to much,. So yes.

but you know do the cables go into the north and back the other dude

If you'd like to show off some faux outrage, may I suggest AH or CA or perhaps Talk to Joe

• Advertisement

Well is it false advertising if a company claims they are selling you 100% green electricity when in effect you are getting whatever the grid can provide on the day.

It doesn’t sit right with me tbh.

In effect you are buying green credits not 100% green electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭gjim

My position has been clear from the start of this tiresome exchange. Your opening claim was that rooftop solar made more sense because there was an issue with land availability.

I'm sorry this is simply not true.

There's absolutely no lack of land in Ireland for solar. Even a fraction of a single per-cent of Ireland's bogs could provide enough land to meet all reasonable requirements for solar capacity. And that there is is no way in hell that your rooftop suggestion could come anywhere close to providing even a tiny fraction of that.

Secondly rooftop solar is not an alternative to grid-scale because of cost - it's 4 to 7 times as expensive.

I'm not sure how I can put it to you more clearly. You know you can just admit to yourself that the idea that rooftop PV is a better alternative to grid-scale PV isn't a very good one and leave it and we'll say no more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I didn't say anything you claim I said. You are basically arguing with yourself while quoting me.

No outrage ,just think people are blindly walking into another recession, with huge chunks of wages being eaten up by electricity, housing and heating bills it doesn't leave much for consumer spending, no money in circulation jobs won't be long drying up,

Again, and not trying to shut you down, I think you should look at the CA forum.

You are posting the above in a thread about Energy Infrastructure i.e. power generation, power sources, power infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭gjim

Really? These are your words:

"The problem with large scale solar is that it requires a lot of space. If they are on the ground, it takes land from other uses and land is also a finite resource. "

"Roof space is generally unused and that is where we should be targeting for solar."

"There really isn't that much land available for solar on that scale."

"I was saying rooftop solar could be done at scale"

"There is the potential for large scale solar on roofs, be they domestic or otherwise."

"I was saying rooftop solar could be done at scale and even collected and stored locally in large battery(s) for later deployment when needed. This gives scale in installation and with battery which is almost certainly to be more efficient than small batteries in every individual house (which is what you were arguing against)."

"Whatever the theoretical benefits of grid scale solar, it is unlikely to happen in reality."

If or when there's a crash this entire thread becomes a fantasy, Being all insular and thinking that what's happening in CA won't effect everything on this threads wish list,

Honestly no idea what you are talking about mate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

And nowhere in there did I say anything about 2000 hectares of suitable roof space, 1GW of PV capacity or any of there other things which you are arguing over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Because I know how the grid works.

Unless the high power charger is not connected to the grid and is fully and solely fed by a standalone renewable energy source or microgrid (and I highly doubt it is) then whatever claim that sticker is making is pure and utter bullshit from a technical point of view. If the charger is connected to the grid, then it is supplying energy from the grid, which is generated by the entire combination of generators connected to the grid.

The sticker really just means that the company selling you the kWhrs is buying their units on the wholesale trade market from renewable suppliers/generators. It is purely a marketing spoof. It has no relevance to the technical workings of how the electricity is produced, distributed and used.

At the end of the day nomatter who you pay for electricity and what they claim, you are getting the exact same electricity from the same mix of sources feeding into the grid at any given time. The reality is you might be getting (for example's sake) 60% fossil, 10% wind, 2% solar and 18% nuclear nomatter whether you buy your kWhr units from evil Putin's Gazprom Russian henchmen, or from some bunnies and butterflies Greenwash brigade like the crowd with the sticker on the charger.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Again, no it doesn't. Your power comes from the grid. And the power on the grid is supplied by every single electrical generator connected to the grid at any given point in time, including Ballyshannon and Crolly amongst many hundreds of other generators including nuclear stations in the UK.

This whole "my power comes from such and such" is a myth and is a totally incorrect interpretation from a technical point of view. Your power comes from the grid. End of story.

@CreadanLady It is not a marketing spoof as it is proritizing and encouraging the production of electricity from renewable sources to the disadvantage of those who produce electricity from fossil fuels.

If you feel that Ionity are lying then why don't you complain to ASAI forcing them to change their Advertising material. I've done it in the past for companies advertsing their petrol as greener and more efficient than that sold by others in the Irish market.

Creedan lady is 100% correct.

you can’t be getting 100% green electricity as your connection is the national grid.

the national grid is NOT 100% powered by renewable electricity.

So it is false advertising.

They are not lying as such. Things like that are saying that the elecricity supplied is from 100% renewable sources. Well, it is an it isn't. There are two ways to look at it.....

1. From point of view of electricity markets and trading. Then yes, it is a correct claim. They buy their units from generators or wholesalers on the basis of a rate for reneweable electricity. Then the claim is fine, as long as you interpret it correctly and understand it for what it is.
    2. From a technical point of view looking at the physics of how electricity works - then the claim is of no substance whatsoever. As I have pointed out before, the energy on the grid is from the mix of generators connected at any given time, nomatter if they are coal, wind, solar etc and that mix is what comes out of your plug nomatter what a sticker or the back of your bill might say.

What happens is you have ordinary Johns and Mary who, not being technically minded, see that marketing material and get confused and they fail to realise that 1) and 2) are not the same thing and do not make the distinction I have made above. Though most likely, they are blissfully unaware of the distinction. They read that sticker and think that the electricity coming out of the plug socket came exclusively from a wind turbine on a nearby hill or solar panel on the petrol station roof, and that it didn't come at least in part from a gas, coal, turf or nuclear powered generator.

And the energy retailers are homing in on the fact that ordinary Johns and Marys don't really understand that and they use that to sell their product to those people who might be more succeptible to greewash.

How can that poster be 100% correct when the grid is around 50% renewable already. These claims are not greenwashing. Nobody donating to World Wildlife Fund expects that their donation is going to help fluffy Pandas and baby Seals. They'd understand that it is going to all their endeavours including some hard to like endangered species with monstrous faces who bathe in their own faeces all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

BBC report on the support crew needed for offshore wind in the North Sea; crew of 88 and a not very cheap looking vessel.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-58761725

So 176 employed full time directly. Plus you'll have all the shore-based support for a ship like that.

There are more overheads for offshore wind than I'd considered.

How many people does it take to run a Gas Power Station?

[Update] I've found 30 onsite day staff mentioned for a typical CCGT plant regardless of whether it's 300MW or 900MW. That may be only operational staff and repair crews are extra.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ryan was on radio saying there will be one job per megawatt, so he is expecting a large job creation in the West.

Would that be a high additional cost for off-shore wind?

ok. So if the grid is 50% renewable all the time (which it’s not) than how can the electrons you put into your car be 100% renewable?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we move on from renewables.

Energy in the form of electrons entering ones home cannot remember where they came from. This 100% renewables is marketing BS, in the same vein as '70% of electrons surveyed thought that they came from a wind turbine'.

Advertisement