Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,011 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's not Australia that has the plans, it's Australia's richest man, Andrew Forrest ,and he likely has the money to do it. I don't know if it was his proposal, or another, but a recent application to wreck 16² km of fragile eco-system by covering it with solar panels was rejected on envirnmental grounds thankfully.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why is the proposal to invest say €10k in a rooftop PV array coupled with a 10 kwh battery considered ridiculous, while investing between €30k to €50k in a EV for personal use is considered a worthwhile investment? If a PV array reduces my consumption by 50%, that is good, isn't it? If I can charge my EV even moderately, that is good, isn't it?

It is like the argument about cars vs public transport, in particular rail based PT.

From a personal POV, cars make a huge personal benefit because the car is instantly available and convenient, PT is not universally available, and PT is less convenient (mostly). However, cars in urban areas cause pollution and congestion, and require parking spaces (often on the pavement).

Most people would agree with PT for everyone else, but would be in favour of a car for them, and a motorway providing rapid access to the local town/city (providing its construction does not impinge on them).

Why EV and not roof PV in a land with a poor solar resource? Because an EV car running on electricity directly results in usually a few thousand litres of hydrocarbon fuels not being burnt each year. The electricity consumed from the grid for a home already has a very high renewable mix in it. Targetted investment in the grid and generating/storage capacity can effect greater impact on the amount of hydrocarbons burnt to produce electricity than can ever be achieved by support PV on dispersed rooftops. It is also more socially equitable as the poor generally don't have sprawling rooftops of their from which a few photons of energy can be harvested.

Once again you have displayed no understanding for this topic but are one of the most vocal contributors to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Fair enough. My efficientcy figure was off. But my point still stands - people harping on about EVs being 90% efficient as if they are the best thing since sliced bread. They are not. The efficiency is the product of all the efficiencies and inefficiencies in the whole energy chain from the primary energy source to the tyre of your car. From the very beginning to end, you're probably looking at 25-30%.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

My last hydrocarbon powered car did 4.8l/100km. Before pandemic I would do 20,000km per year. That meant burning 960 litres of hydrocarbon fuel. My EVs are powered from renewable electricity so no hydrocarbons burnt. Loses on charging depend on whether you are charging on DC or AC and how far your electricity has been sent from the point of generation and how often it has been stepped up and down. Your guess on 25 to 30% is a pessemistic guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It depends what problem you are trying to solve.

the first thing this would do is drive up the fixed cost which would most effect small users. 10k is 500 euros a year over 20 years. That needs to be paid for somewhere.

it would not make much impact on our capacity requirement (the problem we have at the moment) though it would make some difference because of the battery if it was charged and discharged at appropriate times.

it would be cheaper as someone said to build a giant PV farm in the midlands say and distribute the power from there through the existing grid.

One of the less evident reasons which makes what you describe difficult is that on peak generation days you wouldn’t have enough distribution capacity in residential areas to export the 4kW of generation from hundreds of houses so it could be used in industry. (This problem wouldn’t arise for the giant PV farm in the midlands because it would be connected directly to transmission.)

Your comparison re public and private transport is very apt. Power generation seems to work best in an urban area when done on a large scale and shared, rather being done on a one-by-one basis.

i think there might be a strong case for what you propose in relation to batteries as the costs go down. I just don’t think it extends to solar panels.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Fair enough. What you say makes sense.

I am looking at my own situation and perhaps over generalising it. I have a SSE facing roof unobstructed that could take perhaps 4 kw of PV panels, and ideally angled. I could also install a 10 kw battery, and associated control stuff which is more than enough for 24 hrs consumption. No EV. With that, I could reduce my electricity consumption, by 25% say, and if there was a favourable feed-in tariff, reduce the cost by 50% by charging off peak, and replacing peak consumption. It would also render me a significant immunity to power outages. At €10 k, it could be a worthwhile investment.

However, it probably does not translate to very many installations.

EV take up is very much a sub-optimal solution compared to widespread PT, particularly rail based PT, and in particular Metro and Dart. Current infrastructure is inadequate for the few EVs in use, and is totally inadequate for the targeted deployment of EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭josip

True, but most people probably wouldn't "empty the EV tank" every day. So during the it's not inconceivable that PV would meet EV and household needs. Unfortunately it's the winter that we need to dimension for.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"True, but most people probably wouldn't "empty the EV tank" every day. So during the it's not inconceivable that PV would meet EV and household needs. Unfortunately it's the winter that we need to dimension for."

Most EV's charge overnight anyway, when demand is at it's lowest and often wind is plentiful.

I've read a report for the UK, that if every car in the UK converts to EV, but charges overnight, no new power plants would be needed. It would just increase night time use and flatten the curve between peak and off peak hours. Many in the power generation industry see EV's as a solution to some of their issues, rather then a problem.

Where there might be an impact is daytime charging at fast chargers on Motorways for long trips. That may have an impact on required generation and also local network capacity. Though placing solar panels over the charger locations and also installing battery storage like Tesla powerwalls which can charge off the solar panels and cheaper overnight electricity can help with some of these issues.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It doesn't need to be a Tesla powerwall, any battery storage system that makes sense.

Actually I mis-spoke in saying the powerwall, for an application at a supercharger site, they are more likely to use the Tesla Megapacks, which are their utility scale storage solution. Of course Tesla don't pay those prices for their own products at their own Supercharger sites.

Other charging companies like Ionity would like go with different battery suppliers.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-prefab-supercharger-images/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

no that's not the case. Basically Eirgrid has to tender for new capacity by having an auction. Anyone can bid in the auction. In the case of ESB they won an auction to provide extra gas peakers in Dublin are and then pulled out (thence termination fees charged against them).

Eddie O'Connor threw a right dig at both ESB and Eirgrid in his interview in The Business Post yesterday. Basically saying that they weren't capable of doing proper capacity planning and should have seen this issue coming years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The number of places where 2000 or 3000 hectares of land could be blanketed in PV panels is tiny. Like I said, there would be pushback, look at pylons or turbines but they still allow for other land uses. Like I also said, there may be a couple of areas of cut away bog which has been depleted and has limited ecological potential. Whatever the theoretical benefits of grid scale solar, it is unlikely to happen in reality.

Apart from that, solar is a limited resource in this country and we have natural advantages in certain types of agriculture, where possible producing other things are likely to be a better us of any land than harvesting solar energy. Economically, there is also much more potential to add value, support jobs and export than with solar panels so it is unlikely to be a favourable land use.

I was saying rooftop solar could be done at scale and even collected and stored locally in large battery(s) for later deployment when needed. This gives scale in installation and with battery which is almost certainly to be more efficient than small batteries in every individual house (which is what you were arguing against).

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Your claim that your EVs are powered by renewable electricty is not strictly correct in a technical sense. It doesn't matter if you pay your electricity bill to a supplier who only trades in renewable electricity - the reality is that your electricity and what portion of it is renewable or fossil, is depended on the input mix of generators connected to the grid at any one time.

Don't fall for the marketing hype and greenwash. It is pure nonsense.

Also, how far the electricity has travelled and how many losses it has suffered is not really something that should be looked at from the point of view of a generator in X location and an end user in Y location and z losses over so many kilometers. Generators feed into the grid at a multitude of locations and there are a multitude of distributed demands using that power. So the only useful measure is an overall efficiency that applies to the entire grid. That is what counts.

I often hear this thing of "oh our electricity comes from Ardnacrusha, or Tarbert, or Great Island. Its not like that. It doesn't come from there per se. It comes from the grid, so really the elctricity comes from everywhere that is electrically connected to the grid. Your bill might say that you used 100 kWhrs of green electricity from wind farms, but that is marketing bullshit. Your electricity comes from a mix of those windfarms, gas, coal and turf stations, and nuclear stations in the UK and Europe via interconnections.

An interesting thing is, the electrons in the wiring in your house that carry the useful charge under voltage to do work, were probably never inside the actual generating station. They are probably confined to the distribution network very close to your house, and are just mobilised locally by the voltages propagating through the grid over long distances.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

How are you able to speak so authoratatively as to the source of the Electricity I store in my EV here on the German grid when topping up connected to a High Power Charger which is clearly stickered as being supplied from renewable sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭gjim

It's nothing as low as that. I don't have the figures for Ireland (which should be less because of smaller distances) but in the US, the average transmission and distribution losses are about 5% (https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=105&t=3) so from wind turbine output to rubber on the road you're still taking about 80%+ efficiency. Which still beat the "tank to rubber" efficiency of an ICE vehicle by double at least and that's not even a fair comparison - petrol/diesel needs to pumped out of the ground, refined, transported, retailed, etc. - all of which consume energy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A wee roof top turbine on every home in Leitrim only would displace a single turbine on a wind farm.

Bigger turbines are more efficient and there's more wind higher up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭gjim

I'm arguing rooftop solar is a prohibitively expensive way of displacing CO2 emissions. I want energy to be decarbonised as quickly as possible. If you think it would be quicker to find 2000 hectares of suitable roof space in Ireland than it would to find 2000 hectares of bog on an Island with 1.2 million hectares of it, I don't know what to say.

Given there are 2m houses in the country and 100k commercial buildings, to distribute 2000 hectares would require 10 square meters of PV on the roof of EVERY SINGLE building in the country. That's not a realistic proposition at all.

And even if you did this, you'd be crippling the country for decades with wholesale electricity prices 4 to 7 times higher than would be achieved by putting all the PV panels in a few concentrated locations. It would be a terrible strategic decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Whole lot of them tottering away would put a bit of control back with the householder, Eirgrid paying for ads on the radio when they have a Monopoly, no wonder the prices are rising

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It was pretty tone deaf, to put it at the most basic. All I hear these days is how the state will assist those on SW and those in fuel poverty and f**k everyone else, while they increase carbon taxes on already rapidly increasing energy costs. The wrath of the 'squeezed middle' awaits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I've seen solar farms and to my eye they are visually more acceptable in rural areas than the gigantic industrial wind machines that are currently in vogue. Solar would be quieter, can be installed at lower levels and not create massive eyesores that dominate the skyline during daytime and the night skies in the dark. And yes, we are flanked by the bloody things.

• Advertisement

Tell me about it, work claimed Covid wage assist for a few weeks last year now tax has gone loopy, if I do overtime I'm working for nothing,

I would imagine that most installations would be quite small akin to what you see in the UK where there the biggest current operational PV farm is on order of 72MW (in Wales).

Stratkraft spent €10m buying 5 developments which all had completed the planning process and will deliver up to 275MW of solar generation

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/norways-statkraft-pays-10m-to-acquire-solar-farms-as-it-expands-irish-footprint-39518512.html

One of the five projects newly acquired from Lightsource - Blundelstown Solar Farm in Meath - was also selected for State support in that auction, placing it on a path for accelerated delivery.

The other four projects would need to proceed without State support, but are likely to feature in Statkraft bids in future auctions.

The other solar projects are in Monatooreen, Co Cork; Loughteague, Co Laois; Harristown, Co Meath; and Ballymacadam, Co Tipperary.

Given the capital costs of €150m to get these up and running it's not really surprising we are seeing more and more cases of Irish firms getting a scheme through planning and then selling it to a bigger entity as basically shovel-ready.

Radio ads driving prices up? lol, yeah no, sorry. I think you need to look at the chart below showing the global price of natural gas over the last 12 months. This is not an Irish issue, its global

Two of the larger PV schemes are underway (in Meath and Wexford), between them they'll use 650 acres of land and generate 282MWp

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/160m-secured-for-650ac-of-solar-farms-in-wexford-and-meath-634983

• Registered Users Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭josip

I suspect (living) bog would be the most difficult type of land on which to get solar planning in Ireland.

Be far easier to get it installed on prime farmland in the Golden Vale.

My power comes from hydroelectric Station in Ballyshannon, the 400 or so windturbines and the little hydro station in Crolly, not a gas bottle needed so why should I be paying for something I don't use, regionalise the grid, we've been renewable for decades ,charge the areas that are the actual consumers or maybe ease back on changing the vehicle fleet every 2 services

regionalise the grid

Thats the exact opposite of what is happening, for a multitude of reasons

Eirgrid needs to be broken up and the areas with surplus power could attract more industry with cheaper power,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Nope I never said anything about finding 2000 hectares of suitable roof space, you introduced that figure. I did mention depleted bogland as a potential location for large scale solar, you seem to be running with that presumably because you accept that such a large area is unlikely to be available elsewhere, as I said. Not sure why you are going backto comparing to standard domestic installations when that is again not what I talked again.

Advertisement