Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

How it'll look, the impact of them on waves for surfing, generally NIMBYism, general entitlement and the usual "we support this project but we don't think this is the right place for it". The usual stuff that pervades absolutely anything that goes anywhere near the planning system here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do offshore developments even need planning ? Is it basically ministerial or department approval ? ( I know the cable the cables will need to come ashore somewhere .. and there'll be some level of building required , but I assume that'll be stand alone ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Its a grey area with a huge amount of questions and uncertainty around it. This has been highlighted multiple times over the last 3 years by potential developers of this type of power generation. So the govt committed to providing a legislative basis and planning framework for them to follow to develop off-shore facilities.

As with everything though, not enough resources are being put into it so its ages away yet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Linked into an device with an app that can kill the immersion when the price goes up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Power outage in Donegal tonight, is this the start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

No. There is no red alert and not even an amber alert. Most likely a local distribution fault.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are 2 million homes in Ireland (or thereabouts). If each home invested €10 k in a PV array of say 4 kw, and a 10 kw battery, that would be an investment of €20 billion. Now even if that figure was doubled, it is still a low level of investment in electricity generation. Now some homes perhaps have no possibility of PV installations, but all could have a battery installation. Overall, the average of all homes could be in line with these figures.

What would it give us?

Most homes could halve their demand from the grid and perhaps more than half, and if smart metres were controlling this, the home batteries could feed the grid in high demand/low generation periods. Payback for such a system would be, perhaps, 10 years but with Gov grants perhaps that could be halved. Would that go a long way to solving the domestic electricity supply? A million batteries spread all over the grid would remove much of the need for pylons strung all over the landscape.

What am I missing?

47% of the population are three paychecks or less away from poverty and you want them to find 10,000 to invest in a PV array and batteries in a Country unfavourably situated w.r.t. solar resource.

Can you rein in your flights of fancy please.

Even the nutters in Extinction Rebellion/Insulate Britain aren't that far removed from reality in that they are just protesting for improved home insulation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, as a nation we are providing every home with gigabyte broadband at the nations cost. That is of a similar level of investment.

As for your 47%, well we start with the 53%, and subsidise the 47% as required - they will reduce their energy costs by installing the system I am suggesting anyway, so will benefit.

Insulation is a separate issue, and also requires addressing at Gov level which it is (and is subject to grants).

Is it better for the ESB or Eirgrid to invest in a huge grid level battery rather than individual house holders to invest in their own battery giving the same level of security and spread of supply?

• Advertisement

You are away with the fairies. Stop planning how you will dictate to other people to spend money they haven't got and leave it to professionals. This is a country which is running budget deficits and can't afford the national broadband scheme either. I'm disengaging. You are only annoying me.

Its almost always better for the investment to go in where there is scale.

Another way to think of it is in terms of sewerage. Whats better, a single treatment plant taking waste from 2500 homes, or 2500 homes with their own onsite treatment?

Don't get me wrong, I think solar can and does work in Ireland so long as the orientation is correct however I don't think its wise for the govt to put grants for this as the amount of homes that can get real tangible benefits are maybe 20% of the housing stock (orientation and pitch of roof). Feed in tariffs, absolutely, grants for installation, not so much.

Insulation and heating source is one they should go after with a vengeance though. If they only tried bringing apartments up to a B1, they would save astronomical amounts in the long term nevermind the rest of the housing stock.

We had or chance in the Tiger years, it won't happen again, people can't afford it and the energy companies would never take the hit,

Large parts of the country are powered by hydro or wind power yet are being fleeced by the energy companies to pay for gas that is of no use to them, regionalise the grids and charge accordingly

Your case about sewerage plants could be considered the other way. Is it better to have 1,000,000 homes on a sewerage system in Rings End, or perhaps those same homes on 20 smaller distributed sewerage plants spread across the service areas? The Rings End plant routinely pollutes Dublin Bay, which is a disaster. It would be better to have smaller plants that work rather than one huge plant that does not.

I think our history on sewerage treatment has not been good in any way. We are still dumping raw sewerage into the sea, and still routinely have boil notices and water treatment problems. We also have plenty of septic tanks that are never maintained and cause pollution of the water table. Nothing is done about that.

We could invest at scale on nuclear generation, but that will never happen. Investing at scale is not necessarily better, particularly with electricity. Distribution can be difficult and expensive.

If just the 20% of homes that would benefit from solar actually invested in it, that would go a long way to help with the grid.

Local battery storage would also help. My house consumes, on average, about 7 or 8 kWhrs per day, so a 10 kw battery would give me more than 24 hrs coverage, and with a smart meter and a good favourable variable feed in tariff, I could save money and help the grid even out demand. Add sufficient solar, and it is winning all the way. Now repeat that for the 20% that would be able to benefit from solar, and the benefit to the grid would be huge.

You are confusing scale with over capacity/bad design in your analogy, but I get your point however 1 million homes over 20 plants is still at scale.

Agree nuke is never going to happen here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭gjim

The problem with domestic rooftop PV is its cost. LCOE is can be up to 7 times that per KWh of grid-scale PV according to Lazards - https://www.lazard.com/perspective/levelized-cost-of-energy-levelized-cost-of-storage-and-levelized-cost-of-hydrogen/ - that's a worst case scenario but even for best-case you're looking at 3 to 4 times the cost to generate the same KWh from a panel on a domestic house compared to from a grid-scale installation. The imperative should be to increase renewable electricity generation as fast as possible and given that capital is a finite resource and has a cost, so I think the priority should be on developing grid scale solar first given the much greater bang-per-buck.

I accept that large scale PV is more efficient, but grid scale is wholesale whereas domestic is retail. Efficiency is in the wallet, as my internal engineer tells me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The problem with large scale solar is that it requires a lot of space. If they are on the ground, it takes land from other uses and land is also a finite resource. Ground solar farms haveto take account of the opportunity cost for that land, and in this country land is generally better put to other uses. Roof space is generally unused and that is where we should be targeting for solar.

There is the potential for large scale solar on roofs, be they domestic or otherwise. The back of my house faces south, most of the houses in the estate have half the roof facing south (half of those it's the back half of the roof, the other half it's the front). There is the potential for a good area of south facing PV panels across the houses with the correct orientation. The house owners may not directly use the energy generated, it might be a case of just rentingsome roof space from them. There would obviously be a lot coordination involved (and associated costs) but it would be a better approach than covering fields in panels.

There's loads of land in Ireland - there's no way you can justify spending 4 to 7 times as much money for the same generation capacity on the basis that land on a domestic roof is "free". Grid-scale solar PV - like many other forms of generation - is sited on cheap under-utilised land.

Domestic rooftop solar is like a lot of green energy ideas which just don't really work out - like biofuels, green hydrogen (for now), burning wood for "carbon free" electricity, etc. There's no reason for Ireland to repeat policy mistakes like the German one where initial focus was on encouraging domestic PV - they've since rowed back.

If you're going to spend a billion euro on solar then I'd rather you add 1GW capacity to the grid using grid-scale than 150MW using domestic scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The fact that electricity supply is no longer a national service in this country, it is a commercial enterprise. The supply companies are not interested in us being able to save on costs and generate some of our own requirement - they just want to charge us more for using less of their energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,010 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

A few items from papers in recent times. BNM planning renewable energy business park in midlands

The semi-State company said that the so-called energy park will be developed on more than 7,400 acres of its landbank in counties Meath, Offaly and Westmeath.

It is expected to potentially co-locate over 200 megawatts (MW) of electricity, generated by renewable sources such as wind, solar and green hydrogen production, beside companies that will be based in the business park, close to Junction 3 of the M6 motorway at Rochfortbridge, Co Westmeath. Bord na Móna expects to lodge a planning application for the development in the next 18 to 24 months and will begin consultation with local communities this week.

Energia granted foreshore licences

Power supplier Energia is poised to begin work on two €2 billion offshore wind projects while French giant EDF yesterday pledged to boost investment in the Republic.

The Department of Housing and Local Government has granted Energia foreshore licences giving it the exclusive right to survey areas of the Irish and Celtic seas for two offshore wind farms that will produce 800 mega watts (MW) each. Energia plans one farm in the south Irish Sea and another in the north Celtic Sea, requiring a total investment of around €4 billion, or €2 billion each, according to its managing director of renewables, Peter Baillie.

Good article on challenges faced by Irish grid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

They need foreshore licences at a minimum. The Maritime Area Planning Bill has been trudging its way slowly through the Dáil.

The Oireachtas is due to begin debating the Maritime Area Planning Bill, meant to modernise the nearly 90-year-old offshore licensing regime, during this Dáil term.

Among other things, that will create the new Marine Area Regulatory Authority, which will be responsible for granting licences and offshore planning. However, that will take up to a year after the legislation is enacted, and possibly a further six months before it can process licence applications.

A wee wind turbine beside every rural house would solve a lot of issues but Eirgrid would have kittens at the thought

That is what I think would be worth doing.

However, the change to two EVs rather fogs the numbers.

Can you estimate how much power went to the EVs? Did the PV reduce the utility bills by enough to justify the cost of the PV installation? What do you reckon the pay back will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Roofs doesn't automatically mean domestic scale, enough roofs would mean much bigger scale and less cost than individual homeowners installing PV themselves.

There really isn't that much land available for solar on that scale. It would have to be unproductive yet fairly flat, right orientation, etc. You also need the grid infrastructure and that is less likely to be in the locations where the land is less suitablefor agriculture. Apart from cut away bogs, particularly wherethere was a power station, I doubt you'd find somewhere suitable for 1GW of solar. There would no doubt be huge pushback from the local community too, likely more so than we currently see against pylons.

A 7 year payback is not bad.

Replacing the battery would not be horrendous cost.

I agree with the need for grid scale generation, but micro generation with 2 hr battery backup would make the grid more robust for those with it, for those without it..

However, a lot of small steps will contribute to the carbon problem. But I do agree that there is an element of carbon washing.

Anyone think that the Electric Ireland CEO's comment that those who can't afford the price hike should contact SVP should be sacked ?

No because that would just be a stupid over reaction

• Advertisement

You're really trying to argue that there's more scope for panels on rooftops than there is on unused land? Roofs are - not surprisingly - located where people want to live or work not where solar installations make more sense.

1GW of PV capacity would require about 2000 or 3000 hectares of land. Such an installation wouldn't even cover 3% of the Bog of Allen - and the the Bog of Allen itself represents only 8% of the bogland in Ireland. That's before you even look at marginal non-bog land. The availability of land for PV is a non-issue - much more so than wind turbine locations.

Globally capacity growth in utility scale is 2 to 3 times that of rooftop - while in the past it represented the biggest share of PV installation - and the countries where rooftop has been embraced in a big way (Australia) are facing serious problems because the only way to make it attractive to individuals and businesses is to offer guaranteed feed-in tariffs. This has made grid-operations a nightmare. Because of the large rooftop solar capacity, wholesale electricity prices in Australia experience massive swings from negative prices to over 1k per MWh which is paradoxically killing investment in grid-scale renewables.

On the other hand, utility-scale solar is so cheap it can and does compete with other forms of generation without support which is why it's in a massive growth cycle globally. No need for Ireland to either buck the global trend or repeat the mistakes made by other countries in the past.

No discussion of the merits of different generation technologies can ignore LCOE - https://www.lazard.com/perspective/levelized-cost-of-energy-levelized-cost-of-storage-and-levelized-cost-of-hydrogen/ - and for me this is what kills the case for making rooftop solar a key part of de-carbonization. I like the idea of rooftop solar (combined with batteries and/or EVs - a bit like CorrectHorseBatteryStaple's set-up which is almost idea) and think it deserves SOME government support but grid-scale is where the real growth will happen and where the real contribution to de-carbonization will occur.

Advertisement