Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭adunis

Just stick roof bars on ,use a bar mount cycle carrier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi,

Just been reading comments and starting to be come a tad worried, can any 58Kwh owners answer these, I have a deposit on a Family id3 58kwh, 204bhp

1) the VW info screen, is it accurate for journey planned regarding EV charge points ? does it give the status (in use/offline) of these points at all ? Perhaps I'm reading too many things about USA road trips, I know its a small country here.

2) Does 2 passengers make much of a dent in the range ?

Im based in Galway, so no Ionity near by, charge point at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭fits

Don’t worry. You’ll have heaps of range. We haven’t gone anywhere near the limits of ours yet.

im not posting as much these days as we are just happy with the car and no issues at all

@fits thanks, few posts on here about people opting for the 77 for peace of mind. Starting to get worried again about the reliability/queues at ESB/Circle K/Work charge points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

TEST DROVE THE ID 3 1ST PLUS TDAY AND A SIMILAR 2021 ID3: it had sun roof and smaller tyres

Coming from a Leaf, nice car, with 1.9% in the PCP so waiting to see what colours are available ex Dublin, the test car was white.

Also assuming the PCP comes through😀

Three questions,

where do you source the USB Type C cables for the phones as there is no 12v socket in the front

What home charge point did you do for?

what is the max AC capacity with the supplied, not granny, cable.

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

Can buy cables anywhere that sells phone stuff, Tesco etc. Not expensive, VW may throw in one or two if you ask. Can also buy cheap adapters so your present cables will work.

Charge point depends upon your needs, most do the same thing unless you want app solar etc.

11kW on 3 phase or 7kW on single phase (Ensure you get correct cable, some of the 1st only get 3.6kW on single phase if using supplied cable.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

I wouldn’t either. I had a saris bones and wasn’t comfortable with how it sat on the id3 or how the spoiler took the weight. And the saris is a way better rack than that.

i got the tow bar done and use a Thule hang down which I’m very happy with. The vw rack is lovely but very expensive.

I only have the 58kw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Comer1

Took the car out for the first time tonight in the dark and the screens seemed to be full brightness, is there no auto dim on these screens for night driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

2) Does 2 passengers make much of a dent in the range ?

No, to that question anyway. If you are driving to the range of the car the overwhelming factors to range are speed and road conditions (wet=bad). Having a passenger wont come into it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

where do you source the USB Type C cables for the phones as there is no 12v socket in the front

The 1st edition cars had a cable supplied. Not sure if it comes with new cars now or not but its a standard cable anyway so you can buy it anywhere (Tesco, phone shop etc).

There seems to be for me anyway, make sure you have it set to Auto in your interior light settings and then it seems to dim to your preferred level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

did 350 odd kms in my ID3 yesterday - Mostly M way. One thing is I got nowhere near the 378 kms I was promised from the 100% charge when I set out.

By the time I got to my destination 165 kms away I had 150kms range left - 2 hrs charge on 22kwh topped me up for the return

all in all the journey was fine. Not at all as quick as I would have done in an ICE car, but way cheaper and NO WAY in anyway as inconvenient as I expected it to be. However, my plans were loose and I was able to leave it in the car park at the charge point for most of my stay. Truth is thats probably 1 of 3 long journeys I see me making till the end of the year so I wont be missing the ICE car ( and I can rent one or use one of my other ones ) for that journey. I have 4 cars, my wife has the ID3 - its the one I take every time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Any one avail of the SSE offer

https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/sse-airtricity.html

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Will hopefully do so soon when my Energia deal ends. Need to check into the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Comer1

I don't seem to have an option to select auto on my car. Seems like a safety issue if the screens are at full brightness at night? I tap on Interior lighting to get the lower screen, sorry for the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I think those who opted for the 77, me included, tend to have a regular enough long journey that they undertake so the 77 makes more sense. I regularly enough travel from Athlone to the North Coast, 330km journey, and wanted the comfort knowing I will probably do that non-stop in the winter, I have about 25% charge left in the summer months.

Realistically most of my driving is short journeys so the the 58kw would cover this easily. The fact that you have a home charger is the vital thing so not relying on public charge points. If Dublin would be a journey you make then you are well served on this route with the Galway Plaza, Ballinasloe, Athlone Kilmartins and M6 Circle K. I had no charger for the first 4-6weeks and didn't have any problems getting a charge.

I think it is still a thing that people get a bit hung up on and unless you are doing daily long journeys then it shouldn't be a problem, what are you daily, weekly, monthly journeys?

I had a friend recently who I mentioned that we changed to an electric vehicle and there first comment was that it must take us so long going North having to stop 2 or 3 times!!! I did explain that it is an easy no stop journey that cost <€6 to go north and €0 to return as the chargers are free over the border 😁

Yes you are right, could have sworn there was an Auto setting.

Try going into settings, then screen. Play around there and see if it improves. Mine definitely seems to dim to a comfortable level at night..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I got one as well with my ID.4, got some from Amazon as well

Gotta say the VW cable is actually really good, much better connector than the "premium" cables I got from Amazon

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Regarding point one, the satnav will plan charging stops as long as the car is in online mode.

As yet, it doesn't check status, however with the We Charge app added to the car now then you should be able to see the status there

It's worth noting that since fast chargers aren't exactly plentiful, you'll quickly figure out the chargers along routes you normally take and which ones are good and bad

As a general rule the 58kWh has plenty of battery and unless you're doing a lot of driving as part of your commute you won't need more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Has everyone gotten their 2.3 updates? I saw an update flash up a few weeks ago but was going on a long journey so dismissed it, and now it hasn't come back since. I know it's supposed to check every 7 days, but nothing yet. Maybe the roll-out is still limited? I'm not one of the First Mover cars, got one of the first post-1st Max cars.

@THE ALM Thanks, wow north coast, yup thats a journey ! Myself the worst would be Galway - Limerick, and back or perhaps stay in Limerick and bit and back. But I was recently thinking would driving to Dublin be an issue, after using 'a better router planner' (webpage) is gives small ish charge times at ionity etc. I suppose I won't know till I try and figure its limitations based on my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

I do Dublin to Galway regularly. No issues doing that on a single charge. The route is well serviced with fast chargers as well so multiple options to stop for a quick charge on way up and down.

Anybody watch the video by "Battery Life" on YouTube? I haven't had the chance yet but he is apparently reporting 9% battery degradation after 1 year.

That sounds off to me. Not even a Leaf would be that bad.

I hope not, like the guy, but I don't take much of what he says too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I was moaning about the drop in my range for quite a while now. From my charging history I can estimate that I probably have 52kWh left.

I'd say there was some error in his measurements, even for high mileage.

I've never 100% trust those degredation measurements, there's too many factors at play IMO to make it an accurate measurement

On the plus side, if 9% is the real figure then we'll all be getting replacement batteries in two year time

I'd take battery lifes assessment with a pinch of salt, + it's getting colder now + did he take it out same conditions, temp road etc ? I haven't seen the video yet.

There are apps to monitor the Kwh in the id3.

I would hope battery life to be amazing, my BMW i3 94 Ah is showing absolutely no noticeable loss in range after 4 years 7 months and almost 130,000 kms. Amazing considering it's got a pretty small battery, only 28.5 usable.

The Patara is on the way and I hope my car is on it, it's due Wednesday so might have it next week if lucky if not it will be the last week in September That will make it 6 months since I put the order in last week of April. Disgusted getting it that late in the year.

• Advertisement

Mad_Lad, your dealer should be able to tell you definitively at this stage if your car is on or not.

Advertisement