Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Mr Guappa - I woke up on Saturday morning with a sore throat. Stayed in bed most of the day and did my LSR this morning, after which I returned to bed. I thought I was going to be able to nip it in the bud but now I fear it is going to get worse before it gets better. I am making the decision not to run tomorrow and depending on how I feel tomorrow, tuesday could be out too.

Considering I would still like to race the HM if I can shift my illness by Wed - what should my plan for Wed, Thurs and Fri be if I don't run Mon and Tues?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

How was week 12 for you?
    Week 12 felt a bit like trudging through, head down, getting on with it without necessarily feeling the love of it right now. Having said that the MP run on Tuesday felt good at the end - was happy that I managed to keep up the pace for the 9 miles although of course I still doubt my ability to do that for 26 miles! The long run, despite being a stepback, felt pretty damn long and I had to drag my sore feet around Tayto Park afterwards when all I wanted to do was sit on a couch and be fed carbs all day!

What did you learn this week?
    16 miles is not noticeably easier than 20 miles!! Hopefully the converse of that is also true and I'll be saying 26 miles is not noticeably harder than 20 miles!!

Congrats on the half marathon racers - great results. There's a bit of a question over my half marathon next week - my friend's mam is dying and I've been asked to sing at the funeral. They seem to want a weekend funeral to accommodate people travelling over and have asked me to keep Saturday free - kind of weird and sad. Will plan for racing and if not I'll do 18 mile LSR on Sunday.

3 weeks til taper is a super exciting thought.

Bananaleaf take care of yourself and hope you're feeling better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    How was week 12 for you?

Midweek runs
    1 -  6.5Km, 6:18/Km,  150avg HR
    2 -  13Km,  6:27/Km,  152avg HR (hills)
    3 -  8Km,  6:30/Km,  154avg HR
    LSR
    19.4Km, 6:34/Km, 136avg HR

Got the runs done but found it odd that my HR data was elevated throughout the midweek runs. Late Wednesday the cold and sore throat (perhaps the same issue Bananaleaf had) kicked in after it worked through everyone else in the household... I thought I escaped it. This explains the elevated HR as it's about 10bpm higher than it usually is. Decided against taking any medication for it and stuck to the diet which is rich in nutrients and was happy to see the HR return to normal today on the LSR.

My 2nd midweek run involved a good bit of climbing compared to what I usually do and I enjoyed it so much I decided that I'd sign up for the Run the Line event which is a few weeks after DCM :pac:

Got physio tomorrow to give the legs a once over before DCHM and also check my feet for any signs of injury. Have had a niggle on the ball of my foot for a short while but I think it's down to my runners being at the end of their useful life (up to 700Km and punishment from a larger individual probably means the support in them is gone). I've another pair on the way but wanted to have a professional check it out anyway. Fairly sure it's the runners though.

The HR data I had was invaluable and it meant I could spot the illness before the full symptoms even kicked in.

Looking forward to the DCHM next week, going to try rest as much as possible this week so I'm as fresh as possible for it. I'm just hoping for more suitable conditions than we had at the FD10 but right now the temperature forecast is showing 19 degrees by midday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Mr Guappa - I woke up on Saturday morning with a sore throat. Stayed in bed most of the day and did my LSR this morning, after which I returned to bed. I thought I was going to be able to nip it in the bud but now I fear it is going to get worse before it gets better. I am making the decision not to run tomorrow and depending on how I feel tomorrow, tuesday could be out too.

Considering I would still like to race the HM if I can shift my illness by Wed - what should my plan for Wed, Thurs and Fri be if I don't run Mon and Tues?

Thanks in advance

Definitely the right decision to take a few days out if you're under the weather. Assuming you're good-to-go by Wednesday I'd say do the 4m easy with strides Wednesday, rest Thursday and 2m easy Friday. But first priority is to get yourself well - nothing to be gained by taking chances at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Definitely the right decision to take a few days out if you're under the weather. Assuming you're good-to-go by Wednesday I'd say do the 4m easy with strides Wednesday, rest Thursday and 2m easy Friday. But first priority is to get yourself well - nothing to be gained by taking chances at this point.

Thank you Mr Guappa, duly noted. First priority is getting better.

• Advertisement

Well what a horrible week for me. Down in Galway during the week with work missed Wednesday night's run. Saturday lrs was not good at all was going grand took gel at 5 mile then bang horrible cramps in stomach Think it was after eating alot of crap when i was in galway. Ive taken the gels before and never an issue.Snapping as I was suppose to do 18 mile. Think now I'll add on an 5 miles on Saturday before the half. Plan on running the half at planned marathon pace.

It's one bad week - look at it as a generous step-back week and move on. As regards this week and the HM... if you want to do the HM as part of an 18 miler, then I'd do the whole thing at LSR pace, as per the alternative plan posted in the preview. 13 miles at PMP would be an absolute monster session - no need to tack on an extra 5 if you're going that route, although I had thought you previously decided to race the HM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Dante

Managed to get my 20k LSR out of the way before the rain started for once which was nice, usually I pick the absolute worst times possible.

Though I suspect I may have went a touch too fast at 5:41/km pace, but the legs feel alright afterwards so its all good.

These were my times this week, in hindsight I definitely went too fast (aiming for 3.55hr target).

Tues - 5km - 6:01/km
    Thurs - 13km - 5:21/km
    Fri - 8km - 5:03/km
    Sun - 20/km - 5:41/km

I always set out with good intentions to stick to a 6:00/km tempo but it never happens :(

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Week 12 good, although I missed the 8 mile run. I had to re juggle the days , unfortunately I did not have enough time to complete the 8. First run and hopefully last one I have missed off the plan

5 mile 12.08 avg per mile
    4 mile 11.52 avg per mile
    12 mile 12.03 avg per mile

What I have learned
    Sleep is so important for this training, felt great after my long run this way despite it only been 5 days after my last LSR. No aches and pain

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Hey Folks,

Hope your week went well! The home stretch now, starting to feel a little nervous!

- How was week 12 for you?
    Found the 8 milers mentally v tough – went out too late after work and in the dark was not in the form for it.

Wed and Thurs done in the morning, felt good.

Sat, started out fine, but struggled with the heat. I wore thick black leggings (idiot) , which were a terrible idea in the heat. Good learning point now, and starting to wonder if shorts, or cropped leggings are best for the main day.

Tues 7.92 Miles @ 11.52 p/m
    Wed 4.1 Miles @ 10.59 p/m
    Thurs 5 miles @ 10.57 p/m
    Sat 11.8 miles @ 11.45 p/m

- What did you learn this week?
    Don’t wear thick long leggings for long runs (d’oh) – heat up too much!-It’s much harder to go out in the dark, so get the runs done early in the day if possible

Wondering about a pace I should aim for, for the HM this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

for Dublin half marathon, anyone know from previous experience where exactly the bike parking will be located. Just looking at site?

"PARKING
    There will be limited parking in Phoenix Park on race day. A bike park will be provided close to the start area, so bring your bike."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

for Dublin half marathon, anyone know from previous experience where exactly the bike parking will be located. Just looking at site?

"PARKING
    There will be limited parking in Phoenix Park on race day. A bike park will be provided close to the start area, so bring your bike."

Yea - It's just past the start line if you check the map, (well that's where it was before for the 10 miler!) So basically between the 2nd and 3rd roundabout. I actually ended up chaining mine to one of the metal things around one of the trees though last time (lots of peeps doing this) as it was very busy trying to get through the crowd ( I was late and panicked, would of been fine if I got there a little earlier!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Brilliant run; huge well done to you!

Maybe you'll leave the earphones at home for DCM ;)

Thanks a mill :)

Yes will give it some serious thought ;)

How was week 12 for you?

Started out ok but my illness seemed to be lingering & making me tired! Did Mon & Tues as planned but just knew i needed some rest so took 2 rest days ahead of my half on Sat.
    Felt better for resting & did a few miles with some strides which all felt good.
    Ran my half Sat morning & had a really great experience(thankfully) Telling anyone in work that will listen,how well it went ;)
    A new week ahead & maybe a difficult one as i am away, but determined to get my training done!

Quite a few lessons learned this week!
    Firstly to listen to my body, maybe i should have rested earlier but the 2 days rest did me the world of good!
    Secondly listen to my mentors more & the experience they have! I knew i went too fast at times on my previous LSR so i have slowed right down to make sure the easy miles are EASY:)
    And finally i think running the half thought me that i defo need more experience to be able to judge these kind of distances. With experience i think i would have known when to push off(should have done it sooner than i did!!) But as i say this will all come with experience & for now i will put the head down, listen to those who have the experience & be under absolutely no false illusions for DCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

Hello all, well done to all the racers over the weekend!!
    last week felt like a good training week anyway..summary below..
    Tuesday 12km (2k easy, 8k fartlek session, 2k easy)
    Wednesday 5km easy pace
    Friday 14km
    Sunday 32km - 6m32s avg/pace. Felt fairly good throughout! 750mls water and 3 gels used!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

How was week 12 for you?
    Worst week to date! Found it very challenging, trying to juggle everything. I did get a 10 mile run in on Friday night and I was delighted to get that under my belt, but it was tough!
    I was going to do my LSR on Sunday after a family party, but the time kept shifting and party didn't start until 4pm! I would have been far better off getting out and getting it over and done with earlier in the day. Hindsight is great though. When I got home last night, I got into my running gear, but it was lashing rain and so dark and I chickened out.
    I'm going to head out late afternoon for a LSR, as I only clocked up 25.5km last week. I'll also do a mid-week Wednesday run, then I have the DCM half this Saturday. Mentors, do we think that is a reasonable plan?

I thought I was cool as a breeze with the marathon, but i'm very nervous. I need to rest more. I need to ignore well intended (but daft) advice. I also need to be more selfish with my own time. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

How was week 12 for you?
    Worst week to date! Found it very challenging, trying to juggle everything. I did get a 10 mile run in on Friday night and I was delighted to get that under my belt, but it was tough!
    I was going to do my LSR on Sunday after a family party, but the time kept shifting and party didn't start until 4pm! I would have been far better off getting out and getting it over and done with earlier in the day. Hindsight is great though. When I got home last night, I got into my running gear, but it was lashing rain and so dark and I chickened out.
    I'm going to head out late afternoon for a LSR, as I only clocked up 25.5km last week. I'll also do a mid-week Wednesday run, then I have the DCM half this Saturday. Mentors, do we think that is a reasonable plan?

I thought I was cool as a breeze with the marathon, but i'm very nervous. I need to rest more. I need to ignore well intended (but daft) advice. I also need to be more selfish with my own time. :-)

What distance are you planning for that LSR today? And remind me, are you planning on racing the half?

Don’t wear thick long leggings for long runs (d’oh) – heat up too much!-It’s much harder to go out in the dark, so get the runs done early in the day if possible

I always wear leggings! I just can't bring myself to wear shorts. I need to decide what to wear, especially if we are doing a race/dress rehearsal this weekend for the main event.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    What distance are you planning for that LSR today? And remind me, are you planning on racing the half?

Hi ReeReeG,

I was thinking of 20km today - i should be able to get that in. Nice and slow.

And i am racing the half - well i'm aiming to do a bit better than my last half! I don't think you could put me in the race category!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭passinginterest

How was Week 12 for you?
    I think the cumulative fatigue set in a bit this week. PMP session was really tough, not helped by route choice, so effort was very high. The 16 mile LSR was fine but the legs were definitely tired. The fact that I ran it a bit faster and included a few more hills probably had an impact too. Hopefully positive though.

1000 mile socks are amazing. I’m usually happy enough with my cheap ones, didn’t think there’d be a big difference, but they really do feel incredible. Fuelling is going well, the High5 Aqua gels are sitting well in my stomach and I’m getting the boost from them, I also like to have something solid, I’ve been eating squares of Dairy Milk but I’ve ordered some little energy bars from Decathlon to try. I’ve also ordered salt tablets. I seem to sweat out a lot of salts, they can be seen and felt on my skin after a long run and I’ve always gotten headaches when I get a bit dehydrated, I’ve suffered from cramps the odd time too. Going to see if taking one of these towards the end of a run helps to keep those levels up.
    I need to keep watching my diet. Didn’t bother logging calories this week and sure enough put a pound back on. Should be dropping steadily at this stage and it’s poor discipline and a sweet tooth doing the damage. Loosing another 5 or 6 pounds before the marathon would make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Hi ReeReeG,

I was thinking of 20km today - i should be able to get that in. Nice and slow.

And i am racing the half - well i'm aiming to do a bit better than my last half! I don't think you could put me in the race category!! :D:D

I think that would be too much this week. You've done a few races this cycle already, would you consider running the HM as an LSR instead? I think at this stage it might be more worthwhile to concentrate on getting the miles in.

You could do a few easy miles before the HM and then run the HM at that same LSR pace.
    In this instance then, I think 20km nice and easy tonight should be ok.

• Advertisement

saffron22 wrote: »
    So finally got back to it this week

26k cycle on tues
    Weds 5.4k treadmill at 6min pace
    Thurs 9k run at 6min pace
    Saturday 21k at 6min pace
    Shin a but sore again today so resting instead of recovery. Think its going to be like this all the way to the marathon so I'll take my rest days when I can

Still happy to be back hopefully I'm good to go for my 32k this weekend coming

I'm assuming the physio was happy for you to resume running?

Based on your HM time, I'd put your DCM target at 4:15 or thereabouts, which is a marathon pace of 6min/km. Your easy training paces can be at least 40 sec/km slower than that.

rizzee wrote: »
    This week check in before I forget:

Monday 7km
    Wednesday 8km
    Thursday 13km
    Today 19km

Today's felt easier than Thursday!!

Really looking forward to Saturday now. I've already said I'd like to do it under 2:15 but I want to be more ambitious and aim for as close to the 2 hour mark if possible. We will see.

Going to study the course now and get a plan in my head this week.

I still haven't taken gels!! My routine of sipping on 500-750ml water with glucose powder is working fine for me. Should I change this? Was going to pick up some lucozade tablets during the week too?

I think sometimes we are not as mentally focussed for the medium length runs, like that 13km you mention. If it's a LSR we know what to expect and are mentally prepared, but sometimes the likes of a 13km can be under-estimated and then we struggle a touch during them.

You'll be closer to 2:00 than 2:15 anyway I'd reckon. I must study the course closer myself, but from what I know keeping things in check for the first 8 miles might be a good plan.

Is the glucose powder that you use Tailwind, or similar? I know many runners who use that during marathons - the main issue as I see it is the need to mix powder as you run, seems needlessly difficult and messy?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

I'm assuming the physio was happy for you to resume running?

Based on your HM time, I'd put your DCM target at 4:15 or thereabouts, which is a marathon pace of 6min/km. Your easy training paces can be at least 40 sec/km slower than that.

Thanks. He was happy enough to resume though said it was treating the condition rather than fixing it. I'm going to keep regular appointments with him until I get through the marathon. After that I may have to call the distance running a day. Its just about getting me to the finish line at this stage. I'll hopefully have a better idea of it all tomorrow morning as it seems to be settling down again this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Great, mini taper followed by the Charleville Half marathon, report already put up. My first competitive half marathon :cool:
    I have a new PB on strava (what do you mean it doesn't count if it's your first one :D)
    Preparation routine is good but that was operating from home before the race, must just replicate that for Dublin. Will need to plot out a bag drop and collection plan as I was using the car yesterday and that won't be an option.
    Got free plastic clips for the race number, will use those over the safety pins.
    My mind is buzzing this morning with the possibilities for DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I also need to be more selfish with my own time. :-)
    This! You definitely need to be more selfish and not feel bad about it for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Treviso wrote: »
    Think I may have been running with you for a few miles as I was with the 1.35 pacer for the first few miles too. Congrats on a great race!
    It would have been great to meet some of the boards crew. I was on the inside right level with the pacer from about just before mile 1 to 4.5 miles.
    Another great race by you too. The training you're putting in is really showing its worth.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    This! You definitely need to be more selfish and not feel bad about it for the next few weeks.

Yes this is also something i need to put into practice. Been getting a few comments about always running etc but i don't care. From now till Oct 27th DCM is my main goal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Here's an article for you to read over about that bolded part above. The important part in the article is
    Trust your training, stick to your plan and accept that others train differently

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/running-your-first-marathon-this-year-enjoy-training-and-ignore-google-1.3985952

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

jackc101 wrote: »
    Great, mini taper followed by the Charleville Half marathon, report already put up. My first competitive half marathon :cool:
    I have a new PB on strava (what do you mean it doesn't count if it's your first one :D)
    Preparation routine is good but that was operating from home before the race, must just replicate that for Dublin. Will need to plot out a bag drop and collection plan as I was using the car yesterday and that won't be an option.
    Got free plastic clips for the race number, will use those over the safety pins.

Plan your breakfast too! If you're going to be relying on a hotel, make sure you know what will be on offer.

jackc101 wrote: »

The bag drop at DCM is super. They will give you a big bag when you collect your number at the expo, and also a sticker with your race number that goes on the bag. Place your things in the bag and leave it in the bag drop area pre-race. The bag drop area is divided according to your race number and is really well organised and easy to find before and after. Dropping and collecting took less than a minute each for me last year.

• Advertisement

Double post!

Advertisement