Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Oh guys i'm way behind this week on the mileage. Just a bad week in terms of matches, training, other half training, work, housework etc. I started off the week great with two good gym sessions and I ran on Wednesday. I had planned for 8 miles, but cut it short (tired, cranky, hungry), with a plan to do 8 on Thursday. Last night I was at another match (GAA club = my second home) and we were late getting home. Then it was homework, showers etc. By the time I could have gone out it was after 9pm again!!!! I had a bit of a rant, as i'm really fed up with late night running, my options with footpaths and lighting are fairly limited and I can't run in the mornings, as my husband trains at 6am.

Rant over!! I'll be running tonight before sundown, maybe a short one tomorrow and i'll do my LSR as usual this Sunday. Not ideal, as I have a social event tomorrow night, but I'll stay on the dry AGAIN. I'll be twisted on one G&T post-DCM in McGrattans.

Some weeks can be like that, but let's see if you can plan around this in future? Do you know what matches might be on next week? Can you swap any morning / evening training with your OH? I know some people run while kids are playing said matches or training, even if just several laps of the field! Would this be an option for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

Did LSR yesterday 12 miles 10.52 avg. Have 16x2 in the bank. Monday 5, Tues 4. Wed yoga and salsa. Might get a run on Sunday. Can’t seem to manage any fueling strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Oh guys i'm way behind this week on the mileage. Just a bad week in terms of matches, training, other half training, work, housework etc. I started off the week great with two good gym sessions and I ran on Wednesday. I had planned for 8 miles, but cut it short (tired, cranky, hungry), with a plan to do 8 on Thursday. Last night I was at another match (GAA club = my second home) and we were late getting home. Then it was homework, showers etc. By the time I could have gone out it was after 9pm again!!!! I had a bit of a rant, as i'm really fed up with late night running, my options with footpaths and lighting are fairly limited and I can't run in the mornings, as my husband trains at 6am.

Rant over!! I'll be running tonight before sundown, maybe a short one tomorrow and i'll do my LSR as usual this Sunday. Not ideal, as I have a social event tomorrow night, but I'll stay on the dry AGAIN. I'll be twisted on one G&T post-DCM in McGrattans.

Hey Sunday Runner,

You're not alone, I found this week mentally very very tough as well. Just not arsed !! I did the 8 miler on Tuesday at 8pm and honestly every minute was a thought of why the hell am I still running

I ended up swapped the other 2 to the morning time, and although it was tough, was nice to know i didn't have to go out in the dark!

Is there any way you could go at lunch, or start work earlier to get out earlier in the evenings? Agreed that it's hard to go out in the dark, (a) cos it's a bit miserable, and (b) cos the roads that seem okay when it's lit are a different place for a solo female in the dark !!

Good luck with next weeks runs !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

skyblue46 wrote: »
    This is heresy!!! Chocolate is King :D

(I can however strongly recommend the Cookies n Cream version for those with a sweet tooth)

We shall agree to disagree here! Just because chocolate is the more popular choice doesn't mean it's the right choice ;)

I shall never ever understand chocolate drinks at all :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Some weeks can be like that, but let's see if you can plan around this in future? Do you know what matches might be on next week? Can you swap any morning / evening training with your OH? I know some people run while kids are playing said matches or training, even if just several laps of the field! Would this be an option for you?

This works for me. I get 1hr or 1hr 15mins depending on which age-group is training. It's multi-tasking really as i'd have to drop & collect anyhow. If kids are young and you need to be close by then running laps of the pitch is a good idea.

Also, how about lunch time runs? Or i see others doing runmutes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I need to do more races on a Saturday! Will be sitting at home envious at all the Boards people finishing their HM tomorrow while impatiently waiting for Charleville on Sunday. Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend!

For those not racing, enjoy your pain free "easy" LSR

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Thanks everyone. Good to know i'm not alone!

I can't really go for a run while the kids are training/playing matches, as I have another smallie with me. I have three kids.

I'm going to work something out for the coming weeks, as I can't cope with another week like this one - it really is only for a few weeks. Tonight i'll be running before dark and i'll get some nice trails in. Really looking forward to my run this evening.

If you don't see activity on strava, please give me a virtual slap!!

I could take or leave chocolate milk by the way, but it's better than strawberry. The blueberry milk was given out after Braveheart - it was horrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Best of luck to those racing this weekend!

And everyone else, have a good one. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Treviso wrote: »
    I need to do more races on a Saturday! Will be sitting at home envious at all the Boards people finishing their HM tomorrow while impatiently waiting for Charleville on Sunday. Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend!

For those not racing, enjoy your pain free "easy" LSR

I wish there were more half marathons on a Saturday - it's very civilised, I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck to all racing this weekend. Don't forget your homework when you're done ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭py

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Good luck to all racing this weekend. Don't forget your homework when you're done ;)

Foam rolling and stretching for extra credit!

Best of luck to everyone racing the weekend & to all those running their LSR:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Thank God it's Friday! What a long week! I dreaded the PMP session on Wed the way I would dread a race. I am so delighted to have made it to Friday in one piece and I plan on resting and hydrating loads this evening. Not doing my LSR until Sunday and am going to head to the Phoenix Park to hopefully get my mind around some of the roads ahead of next Sunday.

I know this is wrong because 16miles is still such a big deal, but I find myself thinking "sure it's only 16miles, will be grand". I made this mistake the time 16m dropped to 14m (week 7) so am determined not to underestimate the run, just because I know I've gone further before.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Hi I didn’t do my week 11 review...

All runs in?
    Yes

Pace?
    Doing ok
    4 mile easy 12.12
    8 mile easy 12.04
    4 mile easy 11.34
    16 mile LSR 12.39

Satisfied with progress?
    Yes I was last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

[quote="Mr. Guappa I know there are some tapering slightly for Half marathons, which is fine, but for others - is there some general malaise that we are not aware of? These are key weeks and you really do need to be getting in those midweek miles. Let us know if any issues have popped up for you - here to assist as always.[/quote]

I am one of the AWOLs!! I have had a very sore inner left knee. It’s always dodgy after a run - fine during it... but this week there has been sharp pains coming from it morning and evening. I have been doing the whole RICE routine and it’s definitely getting better - not 100% but nothing like it was.

Keen to get back out there tomorrow - it should be a 12 mile LSR... what do you think?

I will be doing the Dublin half next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

On the chocolate/strawberry milk debate can I just have a glass of milk in one hand and a dairy milk in the other? The perfect combo! I seem to have missed out on that runner's love of flavoured milks - make me want to barf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

eabha19 wrote: »
    can I just have a glass of milk in one hand and a dairy milk in the other?

Sure there's a glass and a half of milk already in every bar eabha19 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Sure there's a glass and a half of milk already in every bar eabha19 :pac:

Indeed bananaleaf - sure make mine a cuppa tae and a dairy milk thanks!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I am one of the AWOLs!! I have had a very sore inner left knee. It’s always dodgy after a run - fine during it... but this week there has been sharp pains coming from it morning and evening. I have been doing the whole RICE routine and it’s definitely getting better - not 100% but nothing like it was.

Keen to get back out there tomorrow - it should be a 12 mile LSR... what do you think?

probably not what you want to hear but a visit to the physio is maybe in order. Maybe a IT band issue? they might be able to nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'd tend to agree with Treviso - get yourself to a physio asap. I won't speculate on what it might be as it could be any number of issues, but definitely best to seek advice from the experts. If it does't feel 100% then I'd be very wary of running on it, especially anything like 12 miles.

• Advertisement

eabha19 wrote: »
    Indeed bananaleaf - sure make mine a cuppa tae and a dairy milk thanks!:pac:

Oh now that i can 100% agree on ;) pure bliss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

2nd consecutive weekend 18m long run complete. Sleepy now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

I did the Ratoath half today. Beautiful morning for a course which is fairly flat.
    Delighted with my time, 2.00.22! I've knocked 7 minutes off last years time, so am very happy with that.
    I literally just took it mile by mile, I was very nervous starting out and was afraid of blowing up either injured or just plain exhausted, but I think my splits for each mile were ok, and the last two miles were my fastest. Tired and achy now, looking forward to a nice glass of wine later and then an early night!

Good luck to everyone doing LSR's tomorrow and to those running the Charleville Half and well done on all the LSR's today x

Medics half marathon - My very 1st one :)

Got up early & pottered around for a bit. Then i made my porride & put a zero tab in water & sipped over this. Felt pretty good & positive. So i put the address into my Google maps & thought ah this looks grand, leaving in plenty of time :)
    Well how wrong i was! Please let me add that i have the worst sense of direction EVER. So back to my journey singing along to Elton John till my hears content...following the voice of the lady on my Google maps but she went very quiet & i followed what i thought was the route on the map but nope because of roadworks i completely went onto the wrong road!!! No way of turning back, panic set in, i started shouting at the lady on Google maps, imagine :eek:
    I quickly composed myself & made my way back to the correct road. Thankfully i got to the town with time but my god it was hard to find the GAA club! I parked up & followed the few people walking towards the race. I heard 2 people behind me say sure we'll just follow this girl, the girl being me haha, i said oh god you don't want to follow me i haven't a clue where I'm going:pac: Long story short i got my number & did a warm up :)

With a few mins to go the girl made an announcement about the race, expecting just the usual run of the mill announcement, NOPE, basically she said under no circumstances to wear headphones, you are in the country roads now..they WILL kill you :eek: So no headphones it was! This would be the very 1st time i ever ran with no headphones!!

We walked around to the start & as there were only 180 people racing there was lots of room but i started out near the front!

Miles 1 - 6
    I had heard it was to get easier after mile 6 so i decided to control these miles as much as possible. In my head i was going for maybe 8.10 - 8.20 miles but in fact most were faster but it felt so comfortable. The 1.45 pacers were a good bit ahead of me but i had decided to run my own race. For most of these miles i ran in a group of 3 but i felt like moving off so i did towards mile 6. At this stage 2 blokes ran by me chatting & they were saying what a drag it was & in my head i was like oh i know what that means, I'm a real runner ;)

Miles 7 - 12
    I still felt really strong & was actually enjoying the scenery & all the sounds without my headphones!! The one thing i did not enjoy was the smell of manure, oh god good it was strong :eek: Give me the smell of Dublin anytime haha defo a Dub true & true, except for that one time recently being told i'm actually not a true Dub because I'm a southsider...that person shall remain nameless :D
    There were a lot of bridges & one VERY steep one which was torture going over but fun coming down it! I caught up with the 1.45 pacers & stayed with them for 1 mile but think maybe i should have pushed away sooner!!

Mile 12 to finish

Feck it now was my time so i pushed on, looking at it now i defo think i could have pushed harder. When i knew i was coming up to the finish i actually thought the finish was further away because it was around the corner but it wasn't so i was raging i didn't sprint earlier!! I was absolutely thrilled when i seen the clock, in my head before the run i had the mindset that i had absolutely nothing to prove but lots to gain ;) I knew i would be thrilled with 1.50 or less but to see 1.43 i was over the moon crossing the line!

Really thrilled with my 1st ever half as i felt strong & controlled the whole way around!!

Thankfully all roads lead to Dublin so i managed to find my way home without getting lost :D

Up the Dubs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Got up early & pottered around for a bit. Then i made my porride & put a zero tab in water & sipped over this. Felt pretty good & positive. So i put the address into my Google maps & thought ah this looks grand, leaving in plenty of time :)
    Well how wrong i was! Please let me add that i have the worst sense of direction EVER. So back to my journey singing along to Elton John till my hears content...following the voice of the lady on my Google maps but she went very quiet & i followed what i thought was the route on the map but nope because of roadworks i completely went onto the wrong road!!! No way of turning back, panic set in, i started shouting at the lady on Google maps, imagine :eek:
    I quickly composed myself & made my way back to the correct road. Thankfully i got to the town with time but my god it was hard to find the GAA club! I parked up & followed the few people walking towards the race. I heard 2 people behind me say sure we'll just follow this girl, the girl being me haha, i said oh god you don't want to follow me i haven't a clue where I'm going:pac: Long story short i got my number & did a warm up :)

With a few mins to go the girl made an announcement about the race, expecting just the usual run of the mill announcement, NOPE, basically she said under no circumstances to wear headphones, you are in the country roads now..they WILL kill you :eek: So no headphones it was! This would be the very 1st time i ever ran with no headphones!!

We walked around to the start & as there were only 180 people racing there was lots of room but i started out near the front!

Miles 1 - 6
    I had heard it was to get easier after mile 6 so i decided to control these miles as much as possible. In my head i was going for maybe 8.10 - 8.20 miles but in fact most were faster but it felt so comfortable. The 1.40 pacers were a good bit ahead of me but i had decided to run my own race. For most of these miles i ran in a group of 3 but i felt like moving off so i did towards mile 6. At this stage 2 blokes ran by me chatting & they were saying what a drag it was & in my head i was like oh i know what that means, I'm a real runner ;)

Miles 7 - 12
    I still felt really strong & was actually enjoying the scenery & all the sounds without my headphones!! The one thing i did not enjoy was the smell of manure, oh god good it was strong :eek: Give me the smell of Dublin anytime haha defo a Dub true & true, except for that one time recently being told i'm actually not a true Dub because I'm a southsider...that person shall remain nameless :D
    There were a lot of bridges & one VERY steep one which was torture going over but fun coming down it! I caught up with the 1.40 pacers & stayed with them for 1 mile but think maybe i should have pushed away sooner!!

Mile 12 to finish

Feck it now was my time so i pushed on, looking at it now i defo think i could have pushed harder. When i knew i was coming up to the finish i actually thought the finish was further away because it was around the corner but it wasn't so i was raging i didn't sprint earlier!! I was absolutely thrilled when i seen the clock, in my head before the run i had the mindset that i had absolutely nothing to prove but lots to gain ;) I knew i would be thrilled with 1.50 or less but to see 1.43 i was over the moon crossing the line!

Really thrilled with my 1st ever half as i felt strong & controlled the whole way around!!

Thankfully all roads lead to Dublin so i managed to find my way home without getting lost :D

Great result, Lainey! That is an amazing time. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭py

Miles 1 - 6
    I had heard it was to get easier after mile 6 so i decided to control these miles as much as possible. In my head i was going for maybe 8.10 - 8.20 miles but in fact most were faster but it felt so comfortable. The 1.40 pacers were a good bit ahead of me but i had decided to run my own race. For most of these miles i ran in a group of 3 but i felt like moving off so i did towards mile 6. At this stage 2 blokes ran by me chatting & they were saying what a drag it was & in my head i was like oh i know what that means, I'm a real runner ;)

Miles 7 - 12
    There were a lot of bridges & one VERY steep one which was torture going over but fun coming down it! I caught up with the 1.40 pacers & stayed with them for 1 mile but think maybe i should have pushed away sooner!!

Mile 12 to finish

Fantastic running, well done.

Doc76 wrote: »
    Great result, Lainey! That is an amazing time. Congrats!

Cheers, absolutely chuffed:D

py wrote: »
    Fantastic running, well done.

Thank you, thrilled with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Miles 1 - 6
    I had heard it was to get easier after mile 6 so i decided to control these miles as much as possible. In my head i was going for maybe 8.10 - 8.20 miles but in fact most were faster but it felt so comfortable. The 1.45 pacers were a good bit ahead of me but i had decided to run my own race. For most of these miles i ran in a group of 3 but i felt like moving off so i did towards mile 6. At this stage 2 blokes ran by me chatting & they were saying what a drag it was & in my head i was like oh i know what that means, I'm a real runner ;)

Miles 7 - 12
    There were a lot of bridges & one VERY steep one which was torture going over but fun coming down it! I caught up with the 1.45 pacers & stayed with them for 1 mile but think maybe i should have pushed away sooner!!

Mile 12 to finish

Really impressive time for your first half.

And fair play and congrats to all Dubs. Being from Mayo thats tough to say :o What an exceptional team

• Advertisement

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Really impressive time for your first half.

And fair play and congrats to all Dubs. Being from Mayo thats tough to say :o What an exceptional team

Thanks a mill!

Haha i'm sure it is ;) It sure is great being a Dub today of all days :D

Advertisement