Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster vs Connacht.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Just watched the last twenty minutes on TV (recording didn't work properly).

From an Ulster point of view -

Henderson still absolutely monstering lads with five to go. But very canny as well. He's Smart Hulk.
    Stat popped up when Billy Burns went to kick the conversion for Coetzee's try - his kicking success rate was 68%. I know Cooney's our primary kicker, but still...
    Speaking of kicking, Marshall back at 13 has added so much to our variety there. Nice high kick for Baloucoune and beautiful prod through in the last quarter alone, put Connacht under serious pressure.
    At the end, Best approached one of the Connacht players, Butler I think, and clearly says "thank you" very emphatically. Just nice to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Henderson still absolutely monstering lads with five to go. But very canny as well. He's Smart Hulk.
    Stat popped up when Billy Burns went to kick the conversion for Coetzee's try - his kicking success rate was 68%. I know Cooney's our primary kicker, but still...
    Speaking of kicking, Marshall back at 13 has added so much to our variety there. Nice high kick for Baloucoune and beautiful prod through in the last quarter alone, put Connacht under serious pressure.
    At the end, Best approached one of the Connacht players, Butler I think, and clearly says "thank you" very emphatically. Just nice to see.

Burns missed 1 kick and his percentage goes massively off skew because he has taken so few kicks.....

Any stats on how many kicks and how many successful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Burns missed 1 kick and his percentage goes massively off skew because he has taken so few kicks.....

He has a 70% success from the tee with 4 penalties and 15 conversions successful.

So what's that? Roughly 4/6 and 15/20?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Good point. Nah, it was just a graphic that popped up. However, he would have been kicking all during the 6N when Cooney was with Ireland.

Think Burns has really come on the second half of this season, but I don't remember ever noticing his goalkicking was an issue.

Edit - see Troyzer has done the unnglamorous work. Not sure those figures are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Cooney is at 70% for conversions

Strangely they have penalties seperate and he is at 83%

Last time I checked they had overall kick percentage....

https://www.pro14rugby.org/statistics/best-guinness-pro14-kickers-2017-2018/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Good point. Nah, it was just a graphic that popped up. However, he would have been kicking all during the 6N when Cooney was with Ireland.

Think Burns has really come on the second half of this season, but I don't remember ever noticing his goalkicking was an issue.

Edit - see Troyzer has done the unnglamorous work. Not sure those figures are great.

That conversion from Burns yesterday was important as it took the sting out of the last minute.

To be honest I'm surprised we don't use Rob Lyttle for kicking when Cooney isn't on the pitch. Lyttle is potentially the best kicker in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭launish116

bilston wrote: »
    To be honest I'm surprised we don't use Rob Lyttle for kicking when Cooney isn't on the pitch. Lyttle is potentially the best kicker in the squad

Has he kicked at all this season? but your right last season his kicking was near perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Cooney is at 70% for conversions

Strangely they have penalties seperate and he is at 83%

Last time I checked they had overall kick percentage....

https://www.pro14rugby.org/statistics/best-guinness-pro14-kickers-2017-2018/

Conversion kick percentage will always be lower, as many will be from out near the touchline and you have no option but to kick it. With penalties the better option for difficult kicks is the kick to touch and lineout option, so kickers don't have to attempt the difficult ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

launish116 wrote: »
    Has he kicked at all this season? but your right last season his kicking was near perfect.

He made 6/7 against Zebre this year. A few difficult ones if I remember correctly. He's probably the most natural kicker in our squad, but you ideally want someone who is more likely to start as your first choice kicker.

He made 6/7 against Zebre this year. A few difficult ones if I remember correctly. He's probably the most natural kicker in our squad, but you ideally want someone who is more likely to start as your first choice kicker.

Does Lyttle start if everyone is fit?

Thinking ahead to next season what is our first choice backline?

I think Lyttle v Gilroy is pretty close.

The rest is a bit clearer.

Not including Faddes for now, but you're probably looking at this backline

Cooney
    Burns
    Stockdale
    McCloskey
    Marshall
    Lyttle/Gilroy
    Addison

Either way that's a pretty tidy backline given the changes that have taken place recently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

bilston wrote: »
    Does Lyttle start if everyone is fit?

Thinking ahead to next season what is our first choice backline?

I think Lyttle v Gilroy is pretty close.

The rest is a bit clearer.

Not including Faddes for now, but you're probably looking at this backline

Cooney
    Burns
    Stockdale
    McCloskey
    Marshall
    Lyttle/Gilroy
    Addison

Either way that's a pretty tidy backline given the changes that have taken place recently!

Don't think Baloucoune can be discounted either. Gilroy has been injured for a while so it'll be interesting to see what sort of form he comes back in, but he was an excellent player beforehand and has put in a lot of good shifts for us. Good problem to have anyway.

I'd love to see Hume get more minutes nest season as well. The 13 jersey is a bit of a problem position with Cave retiring, and Ludik and Marshall consistently being injured, so we could do with him or Moore stepping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

We have Faddes.

damianmcr wrote: »
    We have Faddes.

Until confirmed I'm not including him

Advertisement