Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Irish Gigs (Rumoured & Confirmed events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Duffy98

"David Gray final show in Dublin".. And im doing one in Cork and having a press conference you couldnt make it up at this stage how is he a major act anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,212 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Eod100 wrote: »
    I get that argument, now that it's confirmed too. Just got sense people were going to be disappointed anyways. Think promoter going vot specific set of acts so people probably looking in wrong place if they thought different acts.

Yeah people were going to be disappointed. The problems with hyping anything up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Zardoz

There seems to be a serious dearth of big name acts touring at the moment.
    There is literally nothing of note happening in the 3 Arena in the foreseeable future compared to previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

julyjane wrote: »
    any white smoke from Cork yet?

White ladder more like..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Zardoz wrote: »
    There seems to be a serious dearth of big name acts touring at the moment.
    There is literally nothing of note happening in the 3 Arena in the foreseeable future compared to previous years.

The big difference in the 3 Arena is that post renovation, MCD have decided to put in bands that wont fill out, in the knowledge that they can close off sections. Use of the 3 Arena is well up on previous years but there are a lot of bands going in there that wouldnt have in previous years. Hootie, Counting Crows etc

On the Cork thing. Cork is only going to get mainstream crowd pleasers. Bands that are pretty much guaranteed to get a crowd. Any gig in Cork is going to depend on getting a decent proportion of the 'event hounds' in the city. Why is a promoter going to risk a loss by taking a marginal act to a city with an urban population of 125,000. To put it in context, that urban population is smaller than Aberdeen, Dundee, Chelmsford. You wont see too many curveballs playing in those regional cities.

Playing a gig in Ireland isnt on the agenda of plenty of bands, playing outside of Dublin or Belfast is going to be even further down the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,997 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ozzy and priest take 3

Now scheduled for Nov 5th 2020

All original tickets remain valid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ozzy and priest take 3

Now scheduled for Nov 5th 2020

All original tickets remain valid

You get the feeling that Ozzy is hoping that Credit Union rules will apply and that if he dies before this tour that his ticket refund debt dies with him.

Alter Bridge teasing an announcement of a tour on their socials

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Imagine being a David Gray fan and living in Cork and you booked tickets and accommodation for Dublin. I'd be raging

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Imagine being a David Gray fan

FTFY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

Duffy98 wrote: »

Not teasing anything! The tour begins tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    White ladder more like..

I really like White ladder, I played it over and over back in the day, I don't know where the CD is gone so I downloaded it a few weeks ago and listened to it start to finish in the car on a long drive and really enjoyed it and remembered nearly every word but me I just associate that kind of music with driving, I wouldn't have much interest in going to a concert and listening to it personally.

The big difference in the 3 Arena is that post renovation, MCD have decided to put in bands that wont fill out, in the knowledge that they can close off sections. Use of the 3 Arena is well up on previous years but there are a lot of bands going in there that wouldnt have in previous years. Hootie, Counting Crows etc

That is true ,they are putting alot of bands in there that don't really belong in a venue of that size .

Apart from that reason though ,there is very little happening there in the next year .

Its the same acts touring that have been touring for the last few years .

Regarding Cork ,the metropolitan population is 410,000, that is quite large but I see what you are saying.
    Aiken was definitely punching above his weight with the Marquee in the early years ,the lineups in the first few years were fantastic.

In latter years his bookings have been very weak .

The event centre has been further delayed due to objections to Bord Pleanala.
    I dont think it will ever be built to be honest ,BAM are using it as a trojan horse to build apartments .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

It's because it's the final independent park gig so they've to create a bit of fake hype if MCD just announced it on their socials it wouldnt be talked about or known as much by the average person so theyve to make a big deal out of it to boost ticket sales , it's worked because everyones talking about it , all the slots have been filled cause there only allowed 5 gigs for the year is the agreement they have with the residents they must not have hit their financial targets if they went all safe this year , hopefully malahide gets a decent act or they announce a slane or rds gig

That's not the case - MCD said today they have eight concerts booked for Independent Park next summer. We have five announced now and three more will be announced in the coming weeks, they said.

2 concerts for 2020 for me so far

Jan- slipknot
    June- hella mega tour

Most of my favourite acts have played here over the last few years but hoping they will be more announced and I'll have some more for 2020. Had a great few years

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

aj89 wrote: »
    Not teasing anything! The tour begins tomorrow.

It's an American tour for January and February they teased/announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

On the Cork thing. Cork is only going to get mainstream crowd pleasers. Bands that are pretty much guaranteed to get a crowd. Any gig in Cork is going to depend on getting a decent proportion of the 'event hounds' in the city. Why is a promoter going to risk a loss by taking a marginal act to a city with an urban population of 125,000. To put it in context, that urban population is smaller than Aberdeen, Dundee, Chelmsford. You wont see too many curveballs playing in those regional cities.

Not to dismiss your point because I think it still stands in this instance, but Corks continuous urban population is about 205,000. The 125k figure you have was the official boundary from 1965 which has recently been changed.

either ACDC are hiding away and going too make a massive announcement before Xmas or rehersals are not going as planned and a tour may not happen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

David Gray? Sigh :rolleyes: The 90's called and wants it mediocre act back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

rob316 wrote: »
    David Gray? Sigh :rolleyes: The 90's called and wants it mediocre act back.

I don't think David Gray is necessarily a bad option. It was a huge album and it had a lot of fans.

Just a bizarre decision when you've already sold three gigs in Dublin only a few months previously. MCD essentially cannibalising their own sales. Your hardcore fan base will likely already have tickets. Your casual fan will likely prefer the 3Arena unless this gig is physically more convenient.

Strange strange decision.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    either ACDC are hiding away and going too make a massive announcement before Xmas or rehersals are not going as planned and a tour may not happen
    Yeah its gone very quiet hasnt it? I reckon theyll tour alright way way too much money on the line to not, and with all the rumours of them visiting venues for future gigs i think itll happen , Slane is usually announced before christmas isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

"David Gray final show in Dublin".. And im doing one in Cork and having a press conference you couldnt make it up at this stage how is he a major act anyway?

And he played in Cork in July, that's the most ridiculous part of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Maybe AC/DC don't have anything planned to announce this year, and could be 2020 before we hear anything from them, if they've anything planned at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭fafy

BadTurtle wrote: »
    And he played in Cork in July, that's the most ridiculous part of all.

Ridiculous maybe, but its a different tour, playing the whole album. I won’t be there, but i can understand it, and it will sell quite well i would think.

Its somewhat remotely akin to U2, doing the Joshua Tree tour in 2017, 18months after doing the I & E tour in 2015, same band, different tour and different material being played, and another 16 months later doing the E & I tour in 2018.

EJGvN8hWwAA1E-1?format=jpg&name=small

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Maybe AC/DC don't have anything planned to announce this year, and could be 2020 before we hear anything from them, if they've anything planned at all..

possible but they would miss out on the xmas market but that could be a good move

Remember they took the piss a bit for the 2015 Aviva gig and announced it on the 12th Dec 2014 and went on sale a week before xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

fafy wrote: »
    Ridiculous maybe, but its a different tour, playing the whole album. I won’t be there, but i can understand it, and it will sell quite well i would think.

Its somewhat remotely akin to U2, doing the Joshua Tree tour in 2017, 18months after doing the I & E tour in 2015, same band, different tour and different material being played, and another 16 months later doing the E & I tour in 2018.

Well, it is and it isnt. U2 are one of the biggest live bands in the world, with a huge and varied catalogue of hits. They could play 10 different setlists and punters would be happy.
    David Gray is...not. He has white ladder and a few other songs people might know. If you're going to David Gray, you're expecting to hear most of the White Ladder songs, not something from 2007 when he was invisible.

And my main point was, he just played Cork less than 4 months ago and there was a week of hype about this press conference like it was Ed Sheeran or some other mega star. It's just totally cynical in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Well, it is and it isnt. U2 are one of the biggest live bands in the world, with a huge and varied catalogue of hits. They could play 10 different setlists and punters would be happy.
    David Gray is...not. He has white ladder and a few other songs people might know. If you're going to David Gray, you're expecting to hear most of the White Ladder songs, not something from 2007 when he was invisible.

And my main point was, he just played Cork less than 4 months ago and there was a week of hype about this press conference like it was Ed Sheeran or some other mega star. It's just totally cynical in so many ways.

Agreed. The whole "MAJOR concert announcement with artist in attendance" was seriously over the top, considering he played The Marquee a few months back and the Opera House only 2 years ago.... as well as having 3 nights already lined up for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,212 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cage the Elephant touring in the summer. Would love a Marquee gig for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭fafy

Hence- “remotely”.
    I totally agree on the hype, its ramming it down peoples throats- for a relatively small act. Due to market saturation with 3 gigs at 3Arena. Milking the **** out of it. But, there is likely to be a market for those songs many people know.
    Cynical - yes, but will it sell- yes. Thats the way things are going.

Thats 5 gigs for Independant Park so far, with more to come, and Aikens have not even got out of the starting blocks, with announcements. They will probably bring Lionel Ritchie, Christy Moore and more of the same old repeat acts to the Marquee.

Advertisement