Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'm sure Murphy is more professional than "backing his son" if not earned. He'd destroy his career if allocations of nepotism even seemed to stack up.

There is nothing to suggest that J.Murphy is better offensively than Flannery and he is certainly worse defensively. Murphy may be a better goal kicker but Ulster have two 9s who take those duties. In any case, Ulster need a better 10 if they have ambitions to achieve anything nest season.

I'd say Murphy's best chance to make it at senior level would be at scrum half like his brother. I don't know if he has the pass for it but he has two good players in Cooney and Doak who he could learn from and style his game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Supposedly in talks with Aidan Morgan, IQ at Hurricanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Jaysus ulster switch on ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Scarlets 9 should get YC for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Good BP win in the end although a few nervous moments. Probably still need to pick up something from final 2 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Important win yesterday, but yes we need another win to secure top 8, but it may be top 7 that is needed for Europe, so we need more than that.

On the game itself, there is definitely something to be said about Izzy at 6 and that was another good performance from Stockdale. He is looking really sharpland reinvigorated under Murphy.

If Izzy can add a little more weight and keep his mobility, he could be a very good 6. Was worried about his carrying and hard yards. He can take a lot away from that game though, he was held up 3 times? which says more about his ability to get into position than not scoring! Could of been a very different scoreline.

The performances have been a little rough, though fair play to Murphy he's experimenting and taking chances!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Anyone seen him play? That would be an interesting signing. Pretty young.

No been looking for clips, All Blacks u20, 3rd choice @ Hurricanes.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,220 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Didn't know he was IQ.

Decent young prospect, not very big but powerful enough and fast for a 10.

Hes an NPC winner with wellington in 2022 and they're starting 10 in 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

Was fighting it out with Brett Cameron last season (from memory) for starting Canes shirt. He's been 2nd fiddle this year primarily due to Ruben Love whos a 10/15 player being in great form and Cameron starting. He's started once or twice this season and played decently enough.

Ironically his kicking wasn't the best usually (but seems to have improved) - Canes had Jordie B kicking last season but the 10 normally this season. Not an issue for us with our kicking 9s.

Would be a solid signing for a young pup who could turn out special with the confidence & backing behind him. He also has no realistic shot with NZ so could be tempted away.

If any of our domestic 10s are at a similar level I'd take them, but he's certainly a fun option to have

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

2 years for Richie Murphy.

Pretty pleased - let's move forward. Hopefully there might be some more announcements coming re: the coaching team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Happy for Ulster and Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

He was really pretty good at 6. Given every other province has a Beloved Son at 6 (Baird, Ahern, Prendergast), he should enjoy that article and get on with playing and never worry again about what any article/ commentator/ journo says about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I've definitely come around on this appointment.

Even if he is not a success as a coach in terms of winning games, there is a very high likelihood that our squad will be better especially 25 and under, and in academy in two years.

He would know so much about who is good in all 4 provinces in the 16-19 range. He would know who to take a chance on that washed out of another academy. I also can only imagine he knows a ton about talent ID and how to run an academy. Super interested in what this year and coming years academy intakes look like as well. Getting a little hyped about this honestly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It'd be easier get behind a team that's developing something with young, local players getting consistent gametime in a recognisably shaped team, even if they're not immediately successful, than the side from the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Yep - i have been more engaged with following the team since Murphy has taken over for the reasons stated above

Absolutely agree, and I think McFarland tried to exploit this earlier in the season to keep fans onside.

After a super-conservative previous season, he gave debut caps to Crothers, McNabney, Lorcan McLoughlin, Ben Carson, Joe Hopes. He knew that the best way to make disgruntled Ulster fans gruntled again (short of coaching us to some actual good performances), was to kid us on that he was evolving the team, and put out young players we are excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't think Murphy should be given too broad a role unless there are other significant appointments. If he is to be head coach, his focus should be coaching the senior team. If he is also going to be overseeing the academy, recruitment, etc. then he should be DOR with a coach under him. Like at Leinster, Murphy could be in the Cullen role with someone else (Payne?) doing the day to day coaching a la Neinaber/Lancaster.

In truth, I think Murphy's strengths are better suited to coaching and his focus should be on preparing the team for games. Has his role/title been announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

He's been announced as Head Coach.

I agree that his focus should be on coaching and improving the skillset of the senior team, but the knowledge and background he'll bring with him on development pathways across all four provinces will probably benefit Ulster.

It is a separate job though managing the academy piece, and they'll likely need someone separate there, unless Bryn Cunningham is continuing in his role.

I can't imagine Jared Payne would have been overly interested in a role under Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

And apart from Crothers (who in fairness has probably had to work on his size over the last year or so) none have been seen since.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭ljsulster

Richie Murphy plays a youngster “ It’s great to see him playing the young ones, well done Richie”

Dan McFarland plays a youngster “ Rubbish coach he’s only playing them to bluff the fans”

Wise up folks

We already have an academy manager

We already have an academy manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Well tbf they were in different scenarios entirely.

McFarland was in his sixth season, and results weren't going the right way.

Murphy was in a short, effective trial period where he knew if the results were awful he wouldn't get the job on a full time basis, so if he's picking young players in that window it's fair to deduce that it's a committed strategy of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A lot of McFarland's selections, young players included seemed a bit tail-on-the-donkey from the outside.

I'd be hard pressed to name a first-choice Ulster pack.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There was no rhyme nor reason to McFarland's selections. Players came in and out of the team somewhat arbitrarily. Players disappeared from the squad without any obvious cause.

Sheridan for example, came in and did very well, looked every bit up to this level, but then just disappeared entirely for a long period while we had to endure players with less potential togging out. Marcus Rea, disappeared for an extended period. Izuchukwu disappeared for an extended period.

Advertisement