Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Compliments of Adam McKendry on Twitter:

Dan McFarland confirms that Sam Carter and Marcell Coetzee are still undergoing their graduated return to play protocols ahead of Sunday's game away to Connacht.

Sean Reidy (shoulder) and Adam McBurney (hamstring) are out.

And...

Connacht will be resting Bundee Aki, although, up front, they will be bolstered by the return of Gavin Thornbury and Quinn Roux

Coetzee to the Bulls apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Coetzee to the Bulls apparently...

Yea saw that the Bulls just announced a signing and posted his picture with the face covered, and twitter did it's thing and found the original photo. Seems to be confirmed then. Really wanted to keep him for the remainder of his contract but I hope we got a decent amount of cash rather than just saving on not paying his contract. There's been rumours for a while so I've kind of accepted it already, but I'll probably be furious in a years time when our forwards are carrying the ball for a combined for a total of 9 meters lost.

Huge loss for us and we've no one ready to step up. If Leinster could just send Deegan and Josh Murphy down with a nice red bow, that should cheer up my christmas.

Yea saw that the Bulls just announced a signing and posted his picture with the face covered, and twitter did it's thing and found the original photo. Seems to be confirmed then. Really wanted to keep him for the remainder of his contract but I hope we got a decent amount of cash rather than just saving on not paying his contract. There's been rumours for a while so I've kind of accepted it already, but I'll probably be furious in a years time when our forwards are carrying the ball for a combined for a total of 9 meters lost.

Huge loss for us and we've no one ready to step up. If Leinster could just send Deegan and Josh Murphy down with a nice red bow, that should cheer up my christmas.

Not sure this loss can really be appreciated! Appreciate finances may be a pushing factor, but a downwards trajectory in form/wins could have the same affect.

We may as well not have a backrow without Coetzee.

Ulster would need to pull a rabbit out of the hat and quite frankly not sure anything is gonna even slightly compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's probably less to do with money if Coetzee is returning to SA and not to another European club or Japan.
    The Bulls lost a host of top internationals in the last off-season, I'm not sure they could compete with Ulster or another club.

It's no consolation to Ulster but I hope it's a positive sign for SA going forward as the Pro14 needs them to be competitive.

It's probably less to do with money if Coetzee is returning to SA and not to another European club or Japan.
    The Bulls lost a host of top internationals in the last off-season, I'm not sure they could compete with Ulster or another club.

Billionaire Patrice Motsepe has a controlling stake in Bulls now! Even more concerning now their in our league! Potential backrow of Botha, Coetzee & Veruelem

If I was Edinburgh, I’d be concerned Viliame Mata out of contract.

launish116 wrote: »
    Billionaire Patrice Motsepe has a controlling stake in Bulls now! Even more concerning now their in our league! Potential backrow of Botha, Coetzee & Veruelem

I see. Again from a Pro14/16 perspective, if a South African side were happy to spend money like Racing or Montpellier then that's great.

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sure we’ll sign some other Leinster reject and all will be well again. :rolleyes:

I didn't realise Coetzee was under contract until 2022. If he sees out the contract he'll be 31 when he leaves. Considering his injury history, that might be good business to let him walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

Genuinely gutted Coetzee is leaving. Arguably our most important player or one where the gulf in class is so apparent.

Interesting times ahead

I didn't realise Coetzee was under contract until 2022. If he sees out the contract he'll be 31 when he leaves. Considering his injury history, that might be good business to let him walk.

Wouldn’t of resigned him if that was a concern! They knew what they signed!

Think finances have left a situation were they’ve had an offer they literally can’t refuse!

The ripple this could have for 2 seasons going forward could be huge though. Really can’t see how they will salvage this...we’re pretty toothless when he’s not playing.

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wouldn’t of resigned him if that was a concern! They knew what they signed!

Think finances have left a situation were they’ve had an offer they literally can’t refuse!

The ripple this could have for 2 seasons going forward could be huge though. Really can’t see how they will salvage this...we’re pretty toothless when he’s not playing.

It is hard to take any notion of Ulster being serious about competing for trophies when they get rid of their best and most important player. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

If he sees out his contract with us then I'm happy enough, as I never expected him to resign a second time. If we hold on to him for the remainder of his contract then that gives McCann room to develop and gives the team time to convince a few Leinster players to move on to bigger and better things.

awec wrote: »
    It is hard to take any notion of Ulster being serious about competing for trophies when they get rid of their best and most important player. .

Couldn’t agree more.

Almost need to sign two backrows now.

If he sees out his contract with us then I'm happy enough, as I never expected him to resign a second time. If we hold on to him for the remainder of his contract then that gives McCann room to develop and gives the team time to convince a few Leinster players to move on to bigger and better things.

Really leaving us short in the development of McCann, Allison, Rea Jnr. They literally need to be fast tracked and given exposure whilst he’s here now.

If they’re not hitting the ground running next season we’re in even worse shape than we thought now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I log in once today and I see this news!!

Maybe sour grapes on my part but talk about poor form from the Bulls marketing team.

Anyway...crap news, but as I've said all along, if we can't afford to keep him then we can't afford to keep him and we just move on. The financial sustainability of the province is more important than keeping Marcel.

We can't replace him, it probably means we will end up with another Leinster back rower, personally I'd rather see McCann fast tracked, but I wouldn't say no to someone like Max Deegan either. But IMO unless we sign Billy Vunipola then we are downgrading.

Merry fecking Christmas...

Just to say, while I say we move on...I think this sets the development of the side back a year. Forget about winning trophies next year. The 2021 Pro 14 and Rainbow Cup should be targeted now, maybe even the Challenge Cup...we might as well flog the crap out of Coetzee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Couldn’t agree more.

Almost need to sign two backrows now.

Would we be allowed to play those 2 backrows at the same time.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,138 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

New pro16 biggest rivalry...

Ulster v bulls

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    New pro16 biggest rivalry...

Ulster v bulls

Their back row....Botha, Coetzee, Vermeulen

Ours...Rea, Murphy, Timoney

Might miss that game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

*Peep show that wasnt very Christmassy gif*

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Perhaps Deegan might move for more game time to see the season out?

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Perhaps Deegan might move for more game time to see the season out?

Deegan’s out with an ACL injury.

Next season though, something might give with Conan, Doris, Deegan all on the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Deegan’s out with an ACL injury.

Next season though, something might give with Conan, Doris, Deegan all on the books.

I guess Conan so. Just for a loan mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Bad news for Ulster. Coetzee is by far.... the best 8 on the island. Not even close. I reckon Deegan would be a good shout to move up north.
    Watching Coetzee at full flight is incredible. Awful bit of xmass news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I'm sure Marcel would have liked to announce it first. The bulls announcement certainly makes it a little more awkward for him with the fans

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I'm sure Marcel would have liked to announce it first. The bulls announcement certainly makes it a little more awkward for him with the fans

It will be interesting to hear Ulster's response.

Dan is bound to be asked about it tomorrow before or after the Connacht match...which will be fun to watch as he can be quite prickly in his interviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Bad news for Ulster. Coetzee is by far.... the best 8 on the island. Not even close. I reckon Deegan would be a good shout to move up north.
    Watching Coetzee at full flight is incredible. Awful bit of xmass news.

Next season the four provinces could have Doris, Boyle, Coombes and Deegan and first choice 8s, very exciting times

• Advertisement

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Next season the four provinces could have Doris, Boyle, Coombes and Deegan and first choice 8s, very exciting times

Nice grenade to throw into the Ulster thread on the eve of a Connacht Ulster Derby match.

Advertisement