Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

cnocbui wrote: »
    My Seiko Ti Samurai, on the other hand, weighs 110.9g. That is about the limit I would ever want hanging off my wrist. I don't know how anyone could put up with more.

I just weighed my stainless Samurai for interest. 170g sized for my 7.5in wrist. Fair difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Just wait for our Equinox watch ;) - I'd say it would be close if not breaking 200g on a tungsten bracelet...

Holy cow. I want a solid Iridium watch now, just for the one-upmanship.

'Oh, this - well I had a tonne of gold bars lying around not doing much, you know what they're like, so I swapped them for this.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

'Oh, this - well I had a tonne of gold bars lying around not doing much, you know what they're like, so I swapped them for this.'

Platinium Royal Oak Offshore - "Hold my beer"

dakar wrote: »
    I just weighed my stainless Samurai for interest. 170g sized for my 7.5in wrist. Fair difference.

That is a bit more. I have a seemingly incurable titanium habit. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 65,212 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fitz II wrote: »
    Platinium Royal Oak Offshore - "Hold my beer"

I think we have a winner, 432g :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wibbs still wants his depleted uranium watch (I think even my suppliers in Shenzhen will have a hard time getting their hands on that material :D ).

unkel wrote: »
    I think we have a winner, 432g :D

I believe platinum is slightly less dense than Iridium, which even pips tungsten.

Osmium pips them all.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Wibbs still wants his depleted uranium watch (I think even my suppliers in Shenzhen will have a hard time getting their hands on that material :D ).

Iraq?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Osmium pips them all.

One of the few things that I remember clearly from Mr. Barrett's science class in school was that if my book was made of osmium then it would have weighed as much as a television set*.

*We're talking a mid 90's tv too, none of this flat screenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Precious metal APs are ridiculously heavy, mine was roughly 200g on a rubber strap, and that felt very heavy on the wrist. With the bracelet its closer to 330g, which is pretty much the same as having a can of coke strapped to your wrist.

• Advertisement

Time wrote: »
    Precious metal APs are ridiculously heavy, mine was roughly 200g on a rubber strap, and that felt very heavy on the wrist. With the bracelet its closer to 330g, which is pretty much the same as having a can of coke strapped to your wrist.

My gold daytona on bracelet hits 210g and feel hefty but reassuringly solid. The all gold Royal Oak offshore in yellow gold (nicknamed "the brick") is 334g and a platinum daytona is 283g. The heaviest I know is the Platinium ROO but I am sure there are more heavy watches out there.

Weight if the metal is not precious is just extra mass, its only worth is it in precious metal for the feeling of the lump of gold or platinium. You can say what you want about the validity of that, but that is a rabbit hole that ends with you wearing a smart watch. Have to say I am appreciating precious metal more and more these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭banie01

At those weights, I'd be buying bullion and sticking a Casio on top :P

That kind of watch offers a serious bit of immediately movable bullion to some folk I'd hazard?

I think my wife's Pearlmaster has 50g of 18k gold so it'd fetch at least that from scrap gold value :P

http://coinapps.com/gold/gram/calculator/ - says around $2000 just from 18k 50g gold itself.

300g of 18k gold would be worth around $12,500 just from scrap value...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cienciano wrote: »

Some of the other oversize stuff like Graham and the likes probably carries a bit of heft too...
    But that Invicta!
    That's monstrously big!

What's a "flame fusion" crystal? Doesn't that mean glass? :pac:

Ingot-watch.jpg

Oh, this old thing? I found it the bottom of a drawer. Forgot i had it - haven't worn it in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Cienciano wrote: »

What normal person has wrists that a 51mm watch wouldn’t look ridiculous on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Time wrote: »
    What normal person has wrists that a 51mm watch wouldn’t look ridiculous on?

Mmmm... 52.4mm of G-shock goodness*...

547350.JPEG

*only 104g, mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He's upped the production values anyway. And on a Seiko. :eek: Ah here. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well produced Vid alright, but a bit too much cringe. Cant figure out if its parody or not. Whisky, cigars, neck scarf and the immortal line "if you know my channel you know the watchs I have got, but at the moment this is my favourite"....eek

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fitz II wrote: »
    Well produced Vid alright, but a bit too much cringe. Cant figure out if its parody or not. Whisky, cigars, neck scarf and the immortal line "if you know my channel you know the watchs I have got, but at the moment this is my favourite"....eek

christ thats awful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s partial parody. Trying to appeal to a wider audience. He picks it up occasionally, admires it, thinking, Jesus, for 600 quid it’s a high quality watch.....then straps 15k on his wrist.

Just like you Fitz .....with a seiko in the back of the watchbox.........

I remember someone posting recently about a tuning fork/Accutron service guy in Bulgaria if memory serves?

Mine is still gaining @2mins per hour on the wrist and it's driving me nuts.
    US service guy is happy to look at it, but shipping to the US currently is a nightmare.

So I'm looking for recommendations for an EU based service guy?
    There is a company in the UK, and also oddly enough a guy in Thailand that seems to get a lot of love over on WUS.
    Would love any steer at all because I'm currently adjusting the time 3 times a day when I wear my astronaut :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Who's the guy in the UK? The Electric watches chap used to do pretty much all early battery stuff, but latterly seems to only do the later ESA tuning fork stuff like Omega f300's and Longines Ultronic. Which is a pity as he gets great reviews and I've sent my Longines to him twice and got great results and at a very good price.

The problem with Accutrons can be the modern batteries and their voltages. That sounds like it could be the case with your Astronaut. Here's an adaptor that should fix it. IIRC there is a fix that involves some change in the movement itself, but that adaptor link is worth trying first.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

The problem with Accutrons can be the modern batteries and their voltages. That sounds like it could be the case with your Astronaut. Here's an adaptor that should fix it. IIRC there is a fix that involves some change in the movement itself, but that adaptor link is worth trying first.

http://www.watchrepairs.co.uk/
    Are the UK based company I got a steer towards, along with the electric watch company and a bit of Google Fu brings up these guys http://www.williammansell.co.uk/about-us/

I'll have to look for an alternative supplier for the modded battery as the small battery company aren't shipping out of the UK currently. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

banie01 wrote: »
    http://www.watchrepairs.co.uk/
    Are the UK based company I got a steer towards, along with the electric watch company and a bit of Google Fu brings up these guys http://www.williammansell.co.uk/about-us/

I'll have to look for an alternative supplier for the modded battery as the small battery company aren't shipping out of the UK currently. :(
    Hope it all works out ok for you now banie. Your PM box is full btw, wasn't able to get back to your message - you're very welcome.

If CONUS is the best option, we use DHL Express for the christmas/birthday boxes and it's always less than 3 days to Toronto/Minnesota/Florida. Not cheap but worth it for the peace of mind. Flies through customs, ours are invariably food contents with a gift declaration which I'm sure is a red flag. Forget about An Post/USPS it's a joke.

• Advertisement

Thanks David :)
    The perfect size was in the box you sent on, and I will likely never need to buy a spring bar ever again.
    Your generosity is much appreciated.

I managed to sort the battery delivery out, completely forgot about addresspal! :D

Advertisement