Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    A few Irish videos making appearances in this week's edition.

Interesting commute to Leopardstown for the guy at 3:00

GBX wrote: »
    Merc was up to speed to merge which is normally not the case. But he should have yield to traffic on this right.
    Zip merging, traffic on lane one should leave a gap big enough to merge into, but these short merges are a nightmare for all as they force the merging car to get to a matching speed of the lane one traffic in a very short distance.
    The merging car didn't speed up enough and the can car wasn't giving him any space - not until he realised he would crash if he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I don't know whether this is a poor merge on the Merc drivers part, poor road design or poor driving on my part. Regardless, he seemed blissfully unaware.

If you'd eased up a little to allow him merge, it wouldn't have got so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sgsdfsdfsd

Can you post dash cam where people are identifiable? e.g. stupid cyclist or stupid drivers where face clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

its a public video in a public place, post away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

salonfire wrote: »

if the merc guy had put his foot down and closed up on the flatbed, as he should have, there would be no issue. It's his responsibility not the camcar driver

Isambard wrote: »
    if the merc guy had put his foot down and closed up on the flatbed, as he should have, there would be no issue. It's his responsibility not the camcar driver
    It is the responsibility of both drivers to ensure a safe merge, the merging driver must get up to speed and the driver on lane one must leave sufficient space to merge safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

salonfire wrote: »

I hadn't actually realised it was a merging lane until we got quite close. I had thought it was its own lane. I'm not that much of a dick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

Cyclists with cans of Guinness

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Cyclists with cans of Guinness

My cousin was caught drinking cans on his bicycle in the UK. Was fined and was banned from driving for two years. I wonder what will happen here..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

tedpan wrote: »
    My cousin was caught drinking cans on his bicycle in the UK. Was fined and was banned from driving for two years. I wonder what will happen here..

That punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Friend of mine in Holland got his license suspended for 6 months after being caught drunk on his bicycle.
    Dont assume nothing will happen with your license just because you are on a bicycle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

That punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime.

I thought it was harsh too at first, although when I thought about it, he was probably all over the road. If someone hit and killed him, they'd have that on their conscience for him being drunk on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

3 Short Clips from the last while, nothing overly exciting :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Not embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Link doesnt exist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    Tour de France arrives in front of me before I stop.
    Gives me the finger when I beep.
    Forces an oncoming van to brake for him as he tries to pass a bus on the outside.

Outside a bus moving off while in oncoming traffic was stupid, but why did you beep?

Outside a bus moving off while in oncoming traffic was stupid, but why did you beep?

Maybe because a beer belly and lycra don't mix?

Idiotic cyclist who deserves to be pulled up and fined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

fritzelly wrote: »
    Maybe because a beer belly and lycra don't mix?

Idiotic cyclist who deserves to be pulled up and fined.

Why are the cars out in the middle of the lane when there is faster moving traffic coming through? Very inconsiderate :(

tuxy wrote: »
    Why are the cars out in the middle of the lane when there is faster moving traffic coming through? Very inconsiderate :(

No idea what you are talking about

• Advertisement

No idea what you are talking about

In that video cars are taking up lane positions that prevents faster moving traffic from filtering safely.

In that video cars are taking up lane positions that prevents faster moving traffic from filtering safely.

Where does it say in the rules of the road that you have to leave sufficient space between yourself and cars in an adjacent lane to allow filtering?
    You filter when safe to do so and can be done

(don't think he was giving the finger to the beep but to the car you are referring to)

Where does it say in the rules of the road that you have to leave sufficient space between yourself and cars in an adjacent lane to allow filtering?
    You filter when safe to do so and can be done

(don't think he was giving the finger to the beep but to the car you are referring to)

Think you're being baited there as some motorists complain cyclists should move over to let faster traffic through...

Still though, my question was genuine even if it may come across troll-ish. I spend time both driving and cycling and get random beeps and middle fingers the odd time, but only on the bike, and I always wondered was it just a dislike of cyclists.

It doesn't have to be in the rules of the road, most cyclist will actually move left for cars on faster section of roads even though legally they do not have to.
    It just takes some consideration for other road users. The person who posted that video was driving right of the middle of the lane blocking anyone who wanted to safely filter. There was no benefit to taking that lane position.

Still though, my question was genuine even if it may come across troll-ish. I spend time both driving and cycling and get random beeps and middle fingers the odd time, but only on the bike, and I always wondered was it just a dislike of cyclists.

Because Ireland thinks a painted line a cycle lane makes (look at most other EU countries - tho drivers tend to be more considerated in mainland Europe) which just invokes disdain from both sides
    It just takes some consideration for other road users. The person who posted that video was driving right of the middle of the lane blocking anyone who wanted to safely filter. There was no benefit to taking that lane position.

That's just baloney expecting every car to line up perfectly for cyclists to pass thru. Was taught in lessons to always stay left in single lane roads and maintain centralish position in dual+ lanes

The person who posted that video was driving right of the middle of the lane blocking anyone who wanted to safely filter. There was no benefit to taking that lane position.

On that stretch the left lane is for turning left only, cam car is in right hand lane for straight ahead/right turn.

Yes but is he driving right of the middle of that lane or is his car wider than the bus ahead?

Yes but is he driving right of the middle of that lane or is his car wider than the bus ahead?

Looks dead center to me, but camera perspective and all. Even if he was more left the cyclist would still be in the wrong to filter to the right

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

The person who posted that video was driving right of the middle of the lane blocking anyone who wanted to safely filter. There was no benefit to taking that lane position.

You obviously don't know that road. Left lane is left only.
    On that stretch the left lane is for turning left only, cam car is in right hand lane for straight ahead/right turn.

Exactly.

It's the dash cam. I was exactly centered. As another poster said, that's how I was taught. Not to go along dual lanes on the very left (or right).

Looks dead center to me, but camera perspective and all.

Yep.

Someone asked why I beeped. I was slowing to a stop in the traffic and the bike appeared out of nowhere. It's reasonable to expect that I can stop when I intend to do so without something appearing right in front of me like that. Fine if bikes do that when vehicles are stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    the bike appeared out of nowhere. It's reasonable to expect that I can stop when I intend to do so without something appearing right in front of me like that. Fine if bikes do that when vehicles are stopped.

He didn't "appear out of nowhere", nor did He just "appear right in front of you like that".

Beeping was a dick move.

Advertisement