Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

wilser wrote: »
    Had a hire car in America during the summer and there was a little orange triangle on both side mirrors, which would light up if there was anything in your blind spot.
    Never seen these before but I thought they where brilliant. Especially as they overtake on both sides over there.

According to my friend who has a Qashqai from that era, they have that, which would make it super idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

theintern wrote: »
    According to my friend who has a Qashqai from that era, they have that, which would make it super idiotic.

I hired one in Denmark that had it, beeped too but you could turn it off.
    Had a lane assist beep while it was at it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

wilser wrote: »
    Had a hire car in America during the summer and there was a little orange triangle on both side mirrors, which would light up if there was anything in your blind spot.
    Never seen these before but I thought they where brilliant. Especially as they overtake on both sides over there.

I had a few qashqai's while renting that had something similar.
    More usefull than many other "aids" they try to get into cars that will only give bad drivers a false sense of security.

inforfun wrote: »
    I had a few qashqai's while renting that had something similar.
    More usefull than many other "aids" they try to get into cars that will only give bad drivers a false sense of security.

I would prefer it if they just fitted convex mirrors as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

They are fat all use when people don't actually look at them though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I don't really like them. They take away from the car. But from a safety point of view I can see where you're coming from :D.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

^^^^^
    jesus christ, was that filmed in this universe ?

its like driving in hell

i was getting flashbacks from DOOM3 looking at this

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Plenty of room in front of you also, a bit OTT in your reaction to be honest and uneccesarily agressive.

For me I was keeping a safe distance from the car in front and the van sought to take advantage of that .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

boardz wrote: »
    For me I was keeping a safe distance from the car in front and the van sought to take advantage of that .

You are perfectly entitled to drive how you want, however, there was plenty of space in front of you to pull in safety for people who are looking to make faster progress. He didnt cause you to emergency brake or make any other dangerous evasive manoeuvre.

Its typical and happens every day on busy roads around the country. I do it myself. Certainly not worthy of a dash cam video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭kirving

Entering another cars braking distance is horrendously poor driving.

You're either A) relying on the car behind then to intentionally slow down to maintain a safe gap to you, or B) forcing them to accept a shorter braking distance than they previously had, for the duration of time you're pulling away.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Why lads do silly stuff like that Caddy with the sponsorship emblazoned all over it I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Entering another cars braking distance is horrendously poor driving.

You're either A) relying on the car behind then to intentionally slow down to maintain a safe gap to you, or B) forcing them to accept a shorter braking distance than they previously had, for the duration of time you're pulling away.

No offence Kevin, but drive any major motorway or link road in the country and traffic doesnt allow anything but shorter braking zones. Drive on the continent or the uk and its worse.

There was at least 20m between the van and the dash cam driver, thats a very safe and reasonable distance to leave to be honest when merging into a slower lane.

No offence Kevin, but drive any major motorway or link road in the country and traffic doesnt allow anything but shorter braking zones. Drive on the continent or the uk and its worse.

There was at least 20m between the van and the dash cam driver, thats a very safe and reasonable distance to leave to be honest when merging into a slower lane.

I disagree, you can drive defensively and maintain a safe gap most of the time. In the UK, France and Germany, I agree it's worse. I've seen multiple serious accidents on German motorways too though, and I've not done much time over there if that says much.

In February outside Munich I was basically in the same position as the camera car here, but in their leftmost overtaking lane. Van did the same thing about 3 cars ahead of me, cut braking distance and blocked the view for the cars behind. I backed off to maintain the gap, but honestly only because the BMW sat nav showed very heavy traffic coming up. (Late for the airport and was constantly aware of it).

10 seconds later, I had to emergency stop from 140kph to 0. I missed the car in front by about 3 metres, who in turn missed the car ahead by even less. Next car had hit the van who had just cut him off, and another few piled up in front.

The video thumbnail shows the frame where the van crossed in front. Way less than 20M, the Fisheye lens also makes object at the centre appear smaller than they are. Even if it was, 20M is 0.75 of a second or so at 100kph.

The van also crossed from the middle lane and into the camera car lane in basically one manoeuvre. Nothing illegal, but IMO impatient driving nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Some people it seems are too sensitive on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

McCrack wrote: »
    Some people it seems are too sensitive on the road

Ah you're all too sensitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

You are perfectly entitled to drive how you want, however, there was plenty of space in front of you to pull in safety for people who are looking to make faster progress. He didnt cause you to emergency brake or make any other dangerous evasive manoeuvre.

Its typical and happens every day on busy roads around the country. I do it myself. Certainly not worthy of a dash cam video.

Struggling a bit with this comment. A long straight motorway, everybody making safe progress and he pulls a move which did actually cause me to brake and indeed himself to brake hard. Poor driving no matter what way you look at it and disappointing that you admit that you do it all the time.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Seasoft wrote: »
    Did the car driver even attempt to meet and talk with the cyclist?
    Yeah, can't figure out why he wouldn't to be honest.

IMO the cyclist was going too fast, and had his hands on the drop bars rather than covering the brake as he should do in traffic - but the driver couldn't know that I guess.

I think the cyclist was happy enough to get away from it too. Even a 50:50 liability split (which would be unfair on the car driver given the circumstance) would see the cyclist out of pocket.

This should be called motorist knocks down cyclist.

From a cyclist who drives, ...this is 100% the fault of motorist. It is his/her responsibility to ensure there is nothing coming from the left.

To say that the cyclist is going too fast is nonsense.

If I was that cyclists I'd have gone nuts.

If there were 2 lanes of traffic on the left and the car turning collided with a car coming up on the inside, then you'll be saying the car turing is at fault. The exact same principle applies.

micar wrote: »

It's not a public video so the name doesn't matter a whole lot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I know many people don't like confrontation but the cyclist should have had a word with the driver. Something similar happened to me before, I was in the drops too but had my hands near the brakes so managed to slow to about 10 km/h before impact no harm done.
    The woman got out and was very apologetic and almost in tears. So she knew she was wrong and I was sure she would be more careful in the future. In that video we have no idea if the driver realised they were in the wrong.
    BTW since then I always filter on the right hand side when possible, in my case I was also in a bike lane and I've actually given up on them unless I am moving very slow. The bike lanes in Irish cities are far more dangerous than taking up a good defensive position on the road and only suitable if you are moving < 20 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

tedpan wrote: »
    It's not a public video so the name doesn't matter a whole lot..

It actually does. The title atributes blame on the cyclist which is clearly incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Can't stand this guy tbh :)

If he could shut up for a minute that would be great.

Video title is fair. The cyclist was going quite a lot faster than the car at the time of the collision.

Car driver was in the wrong yes, but the cyclist moreso. He put himself in a position where he was always going to lose if anyone else made a tiny mistake. No lights in the rain, too fast in traffic, and hands nowhere near the brakes.
    From a cyclist who drives, ...this is 100% the fault of motorist. It is his/her responsibility to ensure there is nothing coming from the left.

In heavy traffic, it is your responsibility to reduce your speed appropriately to be able to react in time. The car drivers movement was deliberate and IMO to be expected for an area with parking and a gap in traffic, but certainly faster than they should have been in that situation.

It is impossible for the car driver too see to the left and right of the bonnet without a camera system, and this needs to be accounted for by others road users.

But what your saying is that the crossing car is by definition at fault, which is ridiculous. Am I at fault if a motorbike hits me at 200kph when I pull out of a side road? Obviously not.

As a driver, I'm not entitled to drive too fast for the conditions and smash the nose of any car that is pulling out from between other cars in traffic and edges centimetre by centimetre into my lane.
    To say that the cyclist is going too fast is nonsense.

Rather than dismiss a key point that you don't want to discuss as nonsense, please explain why. Hands on the drop bars in traffic like that is beyond stupid - no arguing that one.

It's the equivalent of using cruise control in traffic outside a school, planting your two feet flat on the floor of the car, and denying all responsibility when a child runs in front of the car.

The cyclist doesn't brake whatsoever as far as I can see. Just because he can fit to the left of cars, does not mean that he can go at 50kph, ignore the environment and claim "right of way".
    If I was that cyclists I'd have gone nuts.

Wouldn't get anywhere except the doors being locked and Gards being called.
    If there were 2 lanes of traffic on the left and the car turning collided with a car coming up on the inside, then you'll be saying the car turing is at fault. The exact same principle applies.

Now you're just completely making up things that I haven't said to suit your point.

Anyway, I would actually apportion some blame to the BMW driver. If you're going to let someone go, you should be checking your left hand mirror for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

^^^

Cyclist to blame despite having the right of way, should have been more visible despite being in the middle of the day... same old same old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Unfollowed for a day or two :)

Advertisement