Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

inforfun wrote: »
    45fde1ba57dbc7fc9818df425b539ddf.png

I am not guessing anymore since my last failure on that. :D

https://www.motorcheck.ie/free-car-check/?vrm=12D50124

Looks to be this. I'd be onto the Garda about it. Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Barney224 wrote: »
    I had to watch that a few times to see the wreck!

I can't see anything. Where is it? :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Barney224 wrote: »
    I had to watch that a few times to see the wreck!

Definitely needs Thug Life music added to the clip as it drives past..

About 6 seconds in ..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

6 seconds, the oncoming car with no front lights on.. er, no front lights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

5a34bdbf34b960d9c18f3361581ef433.png

Judging by the steam coming out, it won't be getting to far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

inforfun wrote: »
    5a34bdbf34b960d9c18f3361581ef433.png

I think this was the same car that's mentioned in this report from the Meath Chronicle - https://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/10/16/4180992-car-that-hit-ditch-turned-over-before-landing-on-wheels-and-drove-on-for-a-mile/
    Gardaí at Navan are appealing for witnesses to a road traffic collision which occurred on Monday evening (14th October).

The silver Nissan Micra car flipped over at least once before landing on its wheels and continuing on for at least another mile.

At around 6.30pm the car collided with a ditch on the Slane/Navan Road at Blackcastle. The vehicle flipped over but landed back on its wheels and then continued to drive for approximately one mile before coming to a stop on the Inner Relief Road at Abbeylands near the junction at Reilly's shop.

The two occupants were removed to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda, but their injuries were not life threatening.

The Gardai point out that there would have been a lot of traffic in the area at the time and anyone who has dashcam footage should contact Navan Garda Station on 046-9079930.

According to the gardai, the vehicle was badly damaged and would have been very noticible on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

Melted wrote: »
    Actually that last clip with the bike it was 50/50 for blame what he was doing at that junction was stupid, espcially with the sun on his back.

No clue how you worked the math there, overtaking a turning car or pulling out into another lane? Sun or not, it was the car driver's responsibility to be sure it was safe to enter the lane, guessing is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

bladespin wrote: »
    No clue how you worked the math there, overtaking a turning car or pulling out into another lane? Sun or not, it was the car driver's responsibility to be sure it was safe to enter the lane, guessing is not acceptable.

Because no matter who is responsible in the eyes of the law, the biker still has a responsibility to himself to not put himself into positions where his life is solely in the hands of someone else. No point being right and being dead.

If he stayed back, just in case, then nothing would have occurred. Going for the overtake there was an easily foreseeable risk.

• Advertisement

Because no matter who is responsible in the eyes of the law, the biker still has a responsibility to himself to not put himself into positions where his life is solely in the hands of someone else. No point being right and being dead.

If he stayed back, just in case, then nothing would have occurred. Going for the overtake there was an easily foreseeable risk.

Totally agree, better off aggrieved than dead, BUT I don't see how you could attribute blame to the rider especially 50/50.

I don't think it should be a flat 50:50 either for what it's worth, but I also can see how a driver never expected him to be there:

Hidden behind the car the entire approach
    Sun behind rider
    Overtaking at traffic island/ped crossing (allowed?)
    Overtaking at hatched area (allowed?)
    Overtaking opposite junction (I know this isn't allowed by RoTR)

It's not on the biker at all. The car driver should have waited. They had one thing on their mind and that was the golf turning off the main road and said f**k it im pulling out trying to get in front of the van coming from their left. Not paying attention to traffic still approaching from the right. Far from 50/50. Yes the biker is responsible for his own well being but they have a duty not to put other road users at risk as well. On a bike your less protected of course but had he have waited he could have well ended up far closer to being in the side of the car drivers door either.

I don't think it should be a flat 50:50 either for what it's worth, but I also can see how a driver never expected him to be there:

Hidden behind the car the entire approach
    Sun behind rider
    Overtaking at traffic island/ped crossing (allowed?)
    Overtaking at hatched area (allowed?)
    Overtaking opposite junction (I know this isn't allowed by RoTR)

So you're basically saying she pulled out despite not knowing what was coming behind the turning car?

Filtering would be allowed, it's a bit grey for sure and I wouldn't do it either, that said I've had plenty of pull-outs without any of the supposed mitigation you list, though TBH they're just excuses, she pulled out without looking/seeing it was clear and safe to proceed.

Roundy fun in a big red car with all the lights on:

Of course the car driver was wrong, but what the biker did was about as far from defensive driving as you can get.

Yeah ride defensively. But again drivers in their bubbles - literally and figuratively - need to wake up and open their eyes too and not drive offensively or ignorant of other road users when they dont have the right of way. Again, not on the biker. No point in trying to make out it was.

Anyway here's a video

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

GBX wrote:
    Anyway here's a video

2 weeks old!

tedpan wrote: »
    2 weeks old!

Still a video :pac: .. I hadn't seen it posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Totally agree, better off aggrieved than dead, BUT I don't see how you could attribute blame to the rider especially 50/50.

The biker still has a responisbility to himself an other road users, he needs to have a safe following distance and not overtake at a juntion escpecially when he could not see the car pulling out ahead, 50/50 blame just because hes on a bike and more vulnerable does not make him right and without blame. both road users performed a dangerous manover which could have ended badly, which thank god it did not.

Its clearly instructed NOT to do this for during your lessons there was a lad killed doing something like that on the training route.

I'll get criticised for this, and rightly so. Should have left more room and paid more attention in front.

I was looking in my right mirror waiting for the White Merc to pass. He had been sitting just off my right blindpost while I was indicating right in order to give more space to the joining cars.

While looking behind me, the Mazda in the middle lane brakes (which I never see), and then comes off the brakes.

Merc passed me and I think he braking hard so that he can take the space he knows I'm leaving in the left lane. I can't see the Mazda ahead.
    I flash which I shouldn't have done, for not letting me move over and braking when I finally did.

I then realise he's braking much harder than expected so I move into the empty right lane. No idea what the biker is at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'll get criticised for this, and rightly so. Should have left more room and paid more attention in front.

I was looking in my right mirror waiting for the White Merc to pass. He had been sitting just off my right blindpost while I was indicating right in order to give more space to the joining cars.

While looking behind me, the Mazda in the middle lane brakes, and then comes off the brakes.

Merc passed me and I think he braking hard so that he can take the space he knows I'm leaving in the left lane. I can't see the Mazda ahead.
    I flash which I shouldn't have done, for not letting me move over and braking when I finally did.

I then realise he's braking much harder than expected so I move into the empty right lane. No idea what the biker is at.

No criticism here - biker is an idiot, middle lane almost dead stop, looking to be the front of a pile up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

While looking behind me, the Mazda in the middle lane brakes (which I never see), and then comes off the brakes.

You did enoiugh to not hit the car in front. Don't sweat it.

fritzelly wrote: »
    No criticism here - biker is an idiot, middle lane almost dead stop, looking to be the front of a pile up

Looked like a break down or a brake check, not sure which.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Looked like a break down or a brake check, not sure which.

He's in rain mode :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

GBX wrote: »
    Yeah ride defensively. But again drivers in their bubbles - literally and figuratively - need to wake up and open their eyes too and not drive offensively or ignorant of other road users when they dont have the right of way. Again, not on the biker. No point in trying to make out it was.

Anyway here's a video

13:00 and 14:09 are two of the worst I've ever seen and thats saying something on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

Came across this the other night....seemed like it had only happened interior full of dust from the airbags I presume. I stopped and opened the door to check car was empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Did you call the guards? It doesn't look like emergency services had made it given the car is still in the middle of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

zubair wrote: »
    Did you call the guards? It doesn't look like emergency services had made it given the car is still in the middle of the road.

My guess would be a drunk driver that did a legger!

Advertisement