Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead bodies left on trolleys in corridors.

Options

Comments

Yurt! wrote: »
    Perhaps this is a bit Kim Jong Un of me to suggest, but maybe Health Ministers should be visiting HSE facilities unannounced periodically and catching management on the hop.

This isn't an endorsement of Putin, but his regular filleting of hapless bureaucrats around provincial Russia make for entertaining viewing:

On an aside, Putin did considerably improve air safety in Russia, by these types of tactics. It has meant a lot of jobless pilots, with some of those going to work in poorer African countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The article says a new mortuary building has been approved.

This makes the present situation ok so? That's some grasping there. When Frank visited Ireland mobile morgues were set up in case of being needed with the expectation of the demographics making their way to see him. There is zero excuse for what has happened and the defence of same is pathetic tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This makes the present situation ok so? That's some grasping there. When Frank visited Ireland mobile morgues were set up in case of being needed with the expectation of the demographics making their way to see him. There is zero excuse for what has happened and the defence of same is pathetic tbh.

Why do people assume that any sort of statement of fact is a "defence".

Guy:Incognito didn't defend anything in his post, merely added a point of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Amirani wrote: »
    Apologies if I came across as aggressive. I'm not sure why you'd accuse me of "defending" the system when I criticise your suggestion though.

I agree that maximising our use of preventative medicine is the best approach for us to take. This is a cornerstone of the Slaintecare proposals, and will form a large part of the expansion of primary and community based care. However, overscreening is a very real problem, and this should not be equated to preventative care.

We're talking about goss mismanagement of dead bodies here,why are you keen to go off on tangents? In the U.S I've heard of doctors being struck off for the mismanagement of cadavers.
    Also if you're hse staff how about you get off boards and do your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

So, if I made a proposal that we should replace radiotherapy and chemotherapy with herbal remedies for cancer patients you wouldn't "shoot down" that suggestion? Overscreening is no different to this, just a nonsense suggestion with no evidence base that's not going to do anything to help people.

Whats wrong with screening people? You dont have to do it every year for 4 million people. You dont have to give em a full class 1 medical. You could even do it by post if somebody designed a appropriate kit.

But this is neither here nor there. This is about a case of disgusting incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I text in to the Pat Kenny today, to suggest they hire a refrigerated container as temporary storage.
    The HSE guy dismissed it for "Hygiene reasons".
    Couldn't be much worse than having cadavers dripping in a corridor, I'd have thought.
    I got the impression he was content to allow the status quo continue as a usefull means of forcing more funds from Govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You’re the one who is calling people who disagree with you ‘clowns’.

Yes i would call people who think that leaving rotting corpses around a hospital on trollies is ok, clowns.

Infact id call them a hell of a lot worse.

smurgen wrote: »
    We're talking about goss mismanagement of dead bodies here,why are you keen to go off on tangents? In the U.S I've heard of doctors being struck off for the mismanagement of cadavers.
    Also if you're hse staff how about you get off boards and do your job?

I don't work for the HSE, I'm not sure why you'd just assume that.

kona wrote: »
    Yes i would call people who think that leaving rotting corpses around a hospital on trollies is ok, clowns.

Who was it that said that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

irish public: hey government, fix the health service

irish gov: ok but we'll have to take on the unions and cut a load of managers and admins

irish public: the nurses are on strike - hey government, give them what they want!

repeat.
    Politicians every 4 years: the previous government got it wrong! I'm going to change everything to put it right! Vote for me!!!

Grad healthcare workers: hmm another HSE scandal, Australia for a few years looks tempting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It’s okay. Varadkar is dining with Bono and George Clooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Fantastic.
    Genuinely third-world level.

Biggest mistake we could make here is to funnel more money into the health service. Rip it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

All our doctors and nurses are useless? Why don't you tell them that next time you or one of your family is receiving treatment.

I never said all. And yeah I have told them how bad they were when I was abandoned in a corner in A&E when I needed urgent treatment.

The rot is the whole way through the health service, including the "virtuous" frontline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You can be pretty sure that neither knew what was going on, they don’t inspect these hospitals personally.

It’s 100% down to hospital management and the HSE.

That’s their standard answer for everything. We know nothing. I’m going to start calling them Jon Snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

mad muffin wrote: »
    That’s their standard answer for everything. We know nothing. I’m going to start calling them Jon Snow.

Actually John Snow would have been a great person to call in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Snow

How heartbreaking for the families of the deceased to know their loved ones were denied the dignity of privacy in death.

Heartbreaking for the pathologists involved who are moved to make this public, it must be hard to be denied the means to do your work to an appropriate standard knowing it adversely impacts the families involved. Families I'm sure they're called on to explain the inexplicable to. I don't envy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I text in to the Pat Kenny today, to suggest they hire a refrigerated container as temporary storage.
    The HSE guy dismissed it for "Hygiene reasons".
    Couldn't be much worse than having cadavers dripping in a corridor, I'd have thought.
    I got the impression he was content to allow the status quo continue as a usefull means of forcing more funds from Govt.

You have hit the nail on the head.
    An immediate response is necessary.
    We have this piece of kit in stock already.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/emergency-services-invest-125k-in-mobile-morgue-system-880938.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

irish public: hey government, fix the health service

irish gov: ok but we'll have to take on the unions and cut a load of managers and admins

irish public: the nurses are on strike - hey government, give them what they want!

repeat.

Exactly. This isn’t a financing matter but a lack of effective senior management. Unfortunately it won’t be resolved as long as the unions stand in the way of significant reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I could never follow the love for Leo.
    He had his little following and then he came out in 2015 and ever since then he seems to be loved by many more.
    I know the HSE is going to take years to fix but I don't think Leo and Simon will do much to get the ball rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I could never follow the love for Leo and wasn't really liked by a lot.
    He had his little following and then he came out in 2015 and ever since then he seems to be loved by many more.
    I know the HSE is going to take years to fix but I don't think Leo and Simon will do much to get the ball rolling.

They are not the right people for the job. I did have hope at one stage but they obviousy lack the skillset to implement the reforms it needs. Lack of accountability, incompetence and poor performance has become a rot and trickles down from the Minister of Health to the HSE span of control.

I see another story today about a young guy who resented himself as suicidal and discharged as not meeting the criteria for being subject to an emergency admission.

Its a story as equally disgusting. The problems in the HSE are far and wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't think you'd get this situation happening in the private hospitals. But then people would get fired...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I don't think you'd get this situation happening in the private hospitals. But then people would get fired...

Probably less people dying in private hospitals, and those that do probably aren't left more than 2 or 3 days until the funeral takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I could never follow the love for Leo.

Because you dare not question this half Irish half Indian Homosexual otherwise you are a typical racist homophic bigot for not thinking he is Ireland's answer to Barack Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

Whole thread filled with comments from people who have absolutely no clue how a hospital works and want to treat it like a business, morons :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

If this happened is a zoo, a kennel or a stable then world war three would have broken out by now.

This has been affecting peoples lives for decades and needs to be stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If this was reported to be happening in a less well off country you can be sure the Irish people would be the first to send financial help.

How in the name of God it is happening in Ireland in this day and age is beyond me.

The fu*king country is booming, we were at 16% unemployment at the start of 2012, we're now at 5.4% after dropping steadily for 6 years.

What the f*uck are the government doing with our income tax besides pouring it into a hole in the middle of Dublin to construct the world's most expensive and badly located hospital?

I just googled and they're sending over a record 800 million Euro a year to overseas aid this year, and have vouched to increase it by 115 million Euro a year for the next 10 years.

These lads and lassies would want a good fuc*king slap of reality fairly sharply.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

KilOit wrote: »
    Whole thread filled with comments from people who have absolutely no clue how a hospital works and want to treat it like a business, morons :rolleyes:

OK so tell us morons how it is that dead people end up on trolleys in an Irish hospital these days.

OK so tell us morons how it is that dead people end up on trolleys in an Irish hospital these days.

By dying...

The issue isn't that they're dead, or that they're on trolleys, the issue is the terrible mortuary in Waterford that has resulted in bodies being left in poorly refrigerated conditions. This is what has been criticised in the letter from the consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Admittedly I have no insider information on how a hospital "works" nor do I claim to be an expert on same, but I'm pretty certain how it's not supposed to work.

Coffins having to be kept closed due to body's decomposition from deaths that occured in a hospital in a supposedly first world country surely must not be the norm, please tell me I know that much about them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I have an idea how one particular hospital works having visited it recently with an elderly friend.

We entered the new facility in Kenmare, no receptionist was working at the new reception. There was a photocopied piece of A4 that directed us where to sit and wait.

After a short time the surgeon came out of his office and collected any letters of appointment he had not already collected.

I spoke to him afterwards and asked about the lack of receptionist and secretary, he told me it's been that way for years. He does the whole lot on his own.

I'm not even making this up, when we went back a couple of weeks later for the surgical procedure it was the exact same situation. He operated on my friend and when leaving him out collected the other appointment letters.

I spoke to him again afterwards when dropping back a gift and he told me there was a brand new hospital ward upstairs with state of the art equipment none of which had been used because they had no staff.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement