Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoneleigh and Longstone Naas

Options
  • 24-04-2019 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I’ve noticed Castle Farm has a great thread going here and thought it might be good to start one for Stoneleigh and Longstone.
    Anyone who’s been in either estate could share their views on them or anyone who’s already bought them could maybe let us know how they’re getting on with the process.

I’m currently looking at Stoneleigh but holding off as Longstone may be a slightly better location for me. I’ve been to Stoneleigh and love the style of the houses. Way ahead on some of the other new builds I’ve seen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

Have bought in Stoneleigh. Couldn't be happier with the build quality and the builders themselves. Very quiet estate and walking distance to town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Anyone view the Longstone House at the weekend? If so what are yer thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

Anyone view the Longstone House at the weekend? If so what are yer thoughts?

A good friend of mine did and was impressed. The house was finished very well and the estate looked beautiful (a sunny day always helps). All the rooms were of a decent size. The only negatives were that many of the bathrooms/ensuites lacked a window and that the kitchen in some the houses was a bit dark.

Overwhelmingly positive though. Very nice looking houses of a high standard and with the new air to water heat pumps too.

NedNew2 wrote: »
    A good friend of mine did and was impressed. The house was finished very well and the estate looked beautiful (a sunny day always helps). All the rooms were of a decent size. The only negatives were that many of the bathrooms/ensuites lacked a window and that the kitchen in some the houses was a bit dark.

Overwhelmingly positive though. Very nice looking houses of a high standard and with the new air to water heat pumps too.

I never noticed the kitchen being dark. However there were so many people it was was difficult to spend that much time in that part of the houses. Think a second viewing may be needed.

You're right about the weather though. We sat in the south facing garden for a while. It was nice In fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Badoo

hmcd wrote: »
    I’ve noticed Castle Farm has a great thread going here and thought it might be good to start one for Stoneleigh and Longstone.
    Anyone who’s been in either estate could share their views on them or anyone who’s already bought them could maybe let us know how they’re getting on with the process.

I’m currently looking at Stoneleigh but holding off as Longstone may be a slightly better location for me. I’ve been to Stoneleigh and love the style of the houses. Way ahead on some of the other new builds I’ve seen.

We have put down a booking deposit for Longstone. We've been viewing a lot of houses in the naas area over the last year and Longstone felt right as soon as we walked in. Like everything there are a few compromises. The Master rooms aren't as big as those in other houses we have viewed but the offset is there are 4 decent sized bedrooms - 3 that comfortably fit a double bed with one box room...which again isn't a bad size.

The kitchen is large enough to have a living space so it's nice to have that space and a sitting room in addition to that as well. Also the finish to the kitchen just seems to be a level above what we have seen elsewhere too. They really considered how a kitchen will be used and have added things like a quartz worktop which adds to the quality. The kitchen units have lots of storage space given that they have built the cupboards right up to the ceiling, rather than leaving a gap, so it really adds to the storage space. We also would have preferred a utility room downstairs but again, if they had of done that the kitchen wouldn't be as impressive as it is.

I also liked that it's a little out of the town... so it feels quiet. Overall I think Ballymore will finish the estate really well also judging by the other builds they have done in the area.

Has anyone else purchased in Longstone? Or are there things that you have noticed that maybe we haven't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 CreepOfTheWeek

Badoo wrote: »
    We have put down a booking deposit for Longstone. We've been viewing a lot of houses in the naas area over the last year and Longstone felt right as soon as we walked in. Like everything there are a few compromises. The Master rooms aren't as big as those in other houses we have viewed but the offset is there are 4 decent sized bedrooms - 3 that comfortably fit a double bed with one box room...which again isn't a bad size.

The kitchen is large enough to have a living space so it's nice to have that space and a sitting room in addition to that as well. Also the finish to the kitchen just seems to be a level above what we have seen elsewhere too. They really considered how a kitchen will be used and have added things like a quartz worktop which adds to the quality. The kitchen units have lots of storage space given that they have built the cupboards right up to the ceiling, rather than leaving a gap, so it really adds to the storage space. We also would have preferred a utility room downstairs but again, if they had of done that the kitchen wouldn't be as impressive as it is.

I also liked that it's a little out of the town... so it feels quiet. Overall I think Ballymore will finish the estate really well also judging by the other builds they have done in the area.

Has anyone else purchased in Longstone? Or are there things that you have noticed that maybe we haven't?
    Hey Badoo,

We are the same put a booking deposit for a 4 bed semi in Longstone a few weeks ago. Similar to yourself we love the property, location and the quality of the goods put into the house.

One thing I have noticed and have been advised to take up with the site manager is when viewing the show houses in all three (3 bed, 4 bed semi & 4 bed detached) all of the doors for the en suites open in to the bathroom. The doors are actually taken off when viewing but going by the fixtures all the doors open in and to rectify this would mean taking out the entire door frame. While it isn't an issue in the 4 bed detached it is in the semi as the door will hit off the glass divide for the shower which doesn't make sense to me. I would think it better for the door to open out into the bedroom itself. I am not sure if this is just an error made in the showhouses or if it will be the case across all the houses built. Our house is not due to be ready until Oct/Nov so I intend on saying it shortly before it is built meaning it can be done the way I would like and not having to create a huge job if we waited until the snag.

It might be something to be aware of.

Best of luck though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The houses looking out onto the course are towering over the row of houses in front, I would definitely be buying the higher up houses. Also I'd be trying to keep away from the road as road nice there will be significant. The doors in the ensuite will open in so you may need to mention it to them. A simple door stopper inside should solve it. Apart from that they're lovely houses. Finish seems really good and very handy to be able to nip in for 18 holes when it suits.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yes, we've bought one of the houses that back onto the golf course, sort of halfway in the estate so I am happy with the location we chose, as the showhouses are really overlooked by the houses behind them and also I found the high wall quite imposing.

Even with a door stopper I feel it would be a tight squeeze you would have to walk completely into the ensuite to even close the door. I will be requesting that they fix ours to open into the room, there is plenty of space for it to do so. It's just something to mention for people who may have a similar opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Badoo

Yes actually noticed the door issue too - definitely a problem with the glass door for the shower. I think we might put that idea to them as well. Let me know if you get a response ;)

We don't want to be too cheeky by asking too much but we were also thinking of asking them to put a proper shower head in the main bathroom as its just a rinse hose at the moment. It would be so much more practical for guests/family. Just not sure if it's acceptable to ask for those kinds of things or not?

We went for one of the houses backing onto the golf course too - they were snapped up so quickly. It's worth it for the privacy...and lovely to look out the windows and see greenery!!

Yes, we've bought one of the houses that back onto the golf course, sort of halfway in the estate so I am happy with the location we chose, as the showhouses are really overlooked by the houses behind them and also I found the high wall quite imposing.

Even with a door stopper I feel it would be a tight squeeze you would have to walk completely into the ensuite to even close the door. I will be requesting that they fix ours to open into the room, there is plenty of space for it to do so. It's just something to mention for people who may have a similar opinion.

Did you speak with them on the door turning towards the shower? If so how did ya get on?

• Advertisement

Not yet, we are due to sign contracts in the next few days and I wanted to wait until we had that done before marching down about the door! I will update once we have said it - as I mentioned previously our house is not due to be ready until November time so I can't imagine it will cause many issues given that the house has not been built yet - it would be a much bigger job if we waited until it was in situ or before moving in as the entire door frame will have to be altered. So hopefully I will be able to update soon, but if anyone has a house that will be ready sooner or if your house is already somewhat constructed and you want it changed, I would definitely say it sooner rather than later. By all accounts, the site manager is lovely and very accommodating - we were told to just show up during the day at the site and ask to speak to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Badoo wrote: »

We've just signed the contracts 1 week ago for one of the 4 bed houses looking back on the golf course. I ventured out for a walk on the course to see how far along it's coming last weekend, and it's nearly done (windows/doors in, insulation done, and exterior wall going up).

Haven't noticed the issue with the ensuite door, although i'm hoping they've planned for it. There is always the snagger in case it is an issue.

The only other issue we've had, and it had nothing to do with the house, it was finding a primary school for our daughter who is starting in September. We finally got her a place in Rathmore, which is 6 minutes away from Longstone and towards Blessington so traffic will be minimal or non existent.

The house should be ready at the beginning of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Louised86

We’ve just booked in for one of the 3-bed semi’s. we have been very impressed by what we saw in this development. One thing that I just wondered, because Castlethorn Developments do this, is will there be a management company that we have to pay fees to or will it just be a normal residents association that’s in place?

Louised86 wrote: »
    We’ve just booked in for one of the 3-bed semi’s. we have been very impressed by what we saw in this development. One thing that I just wondered, because Castlethorn Developments do this, is will there be a management company that we have to pay fees to or will it just be a normal residents association that’s in place?

Residents association after a couple of years. Ballymore will look after things until then.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I wouldn't be too concerned about asking to hang a door differently
    They should accommodate you after all
    When we bought new in Naas 23yrs ago, we had the downstairs door that accessed from hall to living room moved no issues before it was built and some other small requests
    If they have patio doors, and they are sliding type I would recommend paying the extra for French doors
    Its best to get all these things done early and before and the way you want as its your house at the end of the day
    The builders shouldn't mind

ps you can never have enough sockets, especially doubles with switches
    If none at the top of the stairs on landing ask for one, one of the most overlooked places for a socket

Can you use the Help to Buy scheme for Longstone?

Yep. Have a look on the Longstone website

Hi all, wondering what were your considerations about the timber frame houses here and if you sought professional advice about it (vs brick built). My partner’s Dad has advised us not to buy here due to them being timber framed and I’m worried now. Are current building methods/regulations such that the risks are very low (with fire being the highest risk)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Hi all, wondering what were your considerations about the timber frame houses here and if you sought professional advice about it (vs brick built). My partner’s Dad has advised us not to buy here due to them being timber framed and I’m worried now. Are current building methods/regulations such that the risks are very low (with fire being the highest risk)

This is a complicated question without an easy Yes/No answer, as so much of building regulations is to do with securing safety of persons rather than longevity of the building. You will not get absolutes. The aim of building regulations is to provide a high level of safety for occupants but balancing being unaffordable or guarding against unrealistic risks.

Any fire significant enough to affect a building's structure is going to have caused serious damage, whatever the nature of the structure. Buildings made of timber can be built well and they can be built poorly - same goes for buildings made of concrete or brick. A properly built timber framed building is as safe as a properly built concrete block house. A concrete block house can be built without firestopping features the same as a timber framed house can.

Likelihood of a fire starting is the same in either type of building, no matter what the house is made of. Modern new houses are fitted with smoke detection in most rooms. This gives you, your family, and your guests an early notification of fire and the best chance of escaping. Everything else (structural, fire spread, etc) is secondary.

Did he give you advice where to buy?

• Advertisement

Thank you for your answer, I didn't realise that about the firestopping in a brick house.
    Prenderb wrote: »
    This is a complicated question without an easy Yes/No answer, as so much of building regulations is to do with securing safety of persons rather than longevity of the building. You will not get absolutes. The aim of building regulations is to provide a high level of safety for occupants but balancing being unaffordable or guarding against unrealistic risks.

Any fire significant enough to affect a building's structure is going to have caused serious damage, whatever the nature of the structure. Buildings made of timber can be built well and they can be built poorly - same goes for buildings made of concrete or brick. A properly built timber framed building is as safe as a properly built concrete block house. A concrete block house can be built without firestopping features the same as a timber framed house can.

Likelihood of a fire starting is the same in either type of building, no matter what the house is made of. Modern new houses are fitted with smoke detection in most rooms. This gives you, your family, and your guests an early notification of fire and the best chance of escaping. Everything else (structural, fire spread, etc) is secondary.

No, we had taken them to see Longstone and he loved it too until he learned they were timber frame and then was very concerned about it. I hadn't even considered timber vs brick until he brought it up. I think he was maybe thinking of the issues in the timber frames built in the boom and the issues they were subject to but from all I can read online the timber is treated to prevent rot/moisture/fire (to an extent) so they seem quite safe and good. Even if there's a burst pipe it seems not to be a big issue, but it just planted a seed of doubt in my mind.
    Did he give you advice where to buy?

Obviously concrete built is better built but the timber frame houses will be warmer and you'll struggle to find any housing project hot using timber frame.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No, we had taken them to see Longstone and he loved it too until he learned they were timber frame and then was very concerned about it. I hadn't even considered timber vs brick until he brought it up. I think he was maybe thinking of the issues in the timber frames built in the boom and the issues they were subject to but from all I can read online the timber is treated to prevent rot/moisture/fire (to an extent) so they seem quite safe and good. Even if there's a burst pipe it seems not to be a big issue, but it just planted a seed of doubt in my mind.

We did a bit of research on this before buying in Longstone. Our current house is concrete, our previous house was timber. The timber house was much warmer.
    The timber is treated for all the things you mention. It's not something we believe is to be of that much concern

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ejmk

You can but not towards the deposit. We have bought one of the 3 bed semis and had to pay the full cash deposit as they only accept the HTB at the close.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

ejmk wrote: »
    You can but not towards the deposit. We have bought one of the 3 bed semis and had to pay the full cash deposit as they only accept the HTB at the close.

We used it to go towards the deposit in Stoneleigh

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ejmk

simons104 wrote: »
    We used it to go towards the deposit in Stoneleigh

For Longstone they’ll accept it as part of the overall 10% at the end but they set the deposit on the house at €20k and wouldn’t accept HTB towards it... our solicitor contested it but didn’t get far. Delighted you got to use it as that’s what it’s there for!

ejmk wrote: »
    For Longstone they’ll accept it as part of the overall 10% at the end but they set the deposit on the house at €20k and wouldn’t accept HTB towards it... our solicitor contested it but didn’t get far. Delighted you got to use it as that’s what it’s there for!

Was the same for me in Stoneleigh.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Our solicitor received the contracts the very last day (today 2 weeks ago) before the builders and tradesmen were to start their two weeks holidays. I didn't expect to get the contracts so soon, haven't arranged an engineer/surveyor to come out to do their checks for us before we sign contracts - can I ask who you used to do this, can you recommend someone? Also, was there pressure on you to sign the contracts quickly?

• Advertisement

If you have questions for the builder/site foreman, do you have to show up on site to ask or do any of you guys have their phone number please? Thank you

Advertisement