Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

20Cent wrote: »
    XR will be like 1916.
    All the lads here slagging it will be saying they were in the GPO.

Haha that's brilliant, comparing this absolute ****e to 1916 is comical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Edgware wrote: »
    The public need to fight back against any of these ***** who delay people on the way to work etc. Too much leeway given to them

Why would you fight with a non-violent movement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Why would you fight with a non-violent movement?

You deny people the opportunity to earn their living you ain't going to get a polite response as the clowns on the train this morning discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So we keep wrecking all our ecosystems and cutting down every last forest and continuing to pump all kinds of pollution into our rivers and oceans and it'll just be fine? It wont be fine until we kill off humans ourselves, but I would have thought most of us would want our species to go on for a while.

The house you live in was once an 'ecosystem'. On that basis should you not knock the walls and re-wild it?
    Or is it a case that you have your house and screw anyone who wants to build one?
    Does ER have an I'm alright Jack element to it or are its principles consistent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Turns out the one with the pony tail is a super posh Buddhist teacher who was also involved in the blood spraying on the Treasury Building in London. He left the path of Buddha to become a "full time climate change activist". His living expenses and legal bills clearly being met by 'mooma and papah'.

They really are all like something out of Southpark.

• Advertisement

You deny people the opportunity to earn their living you ain't going to get a polite response as the clowns on the train this morning discovered.

The reaction this morning was understandable and the rebels taking part likely expected it but is that really the society you want? Vigilantes?

I was watching a clip earlier where a crowd had surrounded and attacked a person affiliated with XR who was live-streaming the event, he wasn't blocking their routes to work. The fury in the faces of the mob was quite disturbing. Initially, I wondered was it because this was the 10th day of protests, that the public were sick of it. But then I wondered if many of those people on the tube platform were actually disrupted at any point during the week. I suspect not many. Then I wondered if the mob were actually projecting their own fury with things in the UK right now into the protesters. People are divided and angry and attacking the 'other' is now commonplace. I wondered if that mob just needed a receptacle for their anger and the protesters were, on some unconscious level, made scapegoats.

The reaction this morning was understandable and the rebels taking part likely expected it but is that really the society you want? Vigilantes?

So it's ok for one group to break the law and negatively affect the lives of another group but if said group reacts they are vigilantes. lol.

I was watching a clip earlier where a crowd had surrounded and attacked a person affiliated with XR who was live-streaming the event, he wasn't blocking their routes to work. The fury in the faces of the mob was quite disturbing. Initially, I wondered was it because this was the 10th day of protests, that the public were sick of it. But then I wondered if many of those people on the tube platform were actually disrupted at any point during the week. I suspect not many. Then I wondered if the mob were actually projecting their own fury with things in the UK right now into the protesters. People are divided and angry and attacking the 'other' is now commonplace. I wondered if that mob just needed a receptacle for their anger and the protesters were, on some unconscious level, made scapegoats.

Lot of wondering there dude, so you have don't have a clue as to why the commuters reacted they way they did?
    I can do some guesswork of my own. Trying to make a living been denied by some self righteous pr**k, yeah I think I would be p*ssed off aswell

Lot of wondering there dude, so you have don't have a clue as to why the commuters reacted they way they did?

The first line of my post says I do.

The first line of my post says I do.

Ever hear the expression guilty by association?. You piss people off they ain't going to distinguish between what a particular member of said moment is doing. All tarred with the one brush.
    ER did themselves enormous harm today. Seriously how stupid can you be to target mass public transport? Sure fired way to lose support and alienate the public.

Ever hear the expression guilty by association?. You piss people off they ain't going to distinguish between what a particular member of said moment is doing. All tarred with the one brush.
    ER did themselves enormous harm today. Seriously how stupid can you be to target mass public transport? Sure fired way to lose support and alienate the public.

I don't believe violence in those circumstances is ever justified. I think the people who attacked the protesters are already prone to anger and violence. The mob reaction was scary. I'm not saying anger and frustration is unjustified; the physical attacking of protesters was. What gave me heart was some people trying to calm the situation down, putting themselves in harm's way in the process.

• Advertisement

I don't believe violence in those circumstances is ever justified. I think the people who attacked the protesters are already prone to anger and violence. The mob reaction was scary. I'm not saying anger and frustration is unjustified; the physical attacking of protesters was. What gave me heart was some people trying to calm the situation down, putting themselves in harm's way in the process.
    I switch off when I read the word 'mob'. A derogatory term to suit an agenda.
    Of course no mention in your comment of the protester trying to kick a commuter in the head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The easy option (also the most pointless) is to disrupt the general public as they try to get to or from work.
    If these people had any bottle they would target politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

XR will be like 1916.

Yeah, no.

It will fade into obscurity.

It'll go the way of Occupy, Kony and Y2K bug

XR will be like 1916.

We have officially jumped the shark.......

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Turns out the one with the pony tail is a super posh Buddhist teacher

notsurprisedkirk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

they haven't turned the public as a whole against them, so they have still won. they have turned a subsection of the public against them who were probably not really that committed to listening anyway.either way, their message remains valid. they have achieved their main objective of getting the message out.
    over a thousand arrests says that no leeway was given to them. there is nothing for the public to fight back against here. protests cause disruption and are usually advertized in advance, so there is no excuse not to plan ahead to minimize such disruption. personal responsibility after all.

The fact is a extinction rebellion was created by two anarchists in order to bring down the current political 'system' through a programme of 'civil disobedience'. Both individuals come from fairly comfortable backgrounds.

That they are using climate alarmism to do so is perhaps not surprising. That's not denying climate change btw.

The two are Roger Hallam's and Gail Bradbrook. Hallams various youtube videos and speeches leave little doubt his primary motivation is to forment civil unrest in order to overthrow the existing system of government in the UK and elsewhere

Here Roger Hallam describes on a lecture video what he did after failing as an organic farmer:
    "I decided to come down to London to take out the system because I didn’t like it very much. That’s my plan. And I obviously wanted to study how to do it effectively so that’s why got myself into King’s College."

https://youtu.be/aRLsRqKguW0

The other co-founder of extinction rebellion is
    Gail Bradbrook who identifies as a neo-pagan, and who found her purpose in a trip to Costa Rica to help come up with a solution to societal ills. The trip included the use of various psychedelics drugs. She is quoted as saying:
    “I’d been focused on trying to start civil disobedience since 2010. I’d tried many things and they hadn’t worked. So I went on a retreat and prayed, with some psychedelic medicines. It was really intense and I prayed for what I called the codes for social change and within a month my prayer was answered.”

They've both been largely busted at this point. The police are not going to pussy foot around their organisation of mass civil disobedience and unlawfully preventing people going around their daily business and trying to get to work. They have no mandate from the population at large and are little more than a busted boot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The easy option (also the most pointless) is to disrupt the general public as they try to get to or from work.
    If these people had any bottle they would target politicians.
    Extension Rebellion are staying well clear of the Rich and Powerful . They are going after soft targets i.e. The Working Class .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just to repeat my view

I fully support the Irish XR

The London version that is going after public transport does not have my support

Blockade a motorway or airport instead I would support

Ah stop you wouldn't even support them on your day off. I believe you are depriving a village somewhere of your services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just to repeat my view

The London version that is going after public transport does not have my support

Do buses not use motorways? Do workers not need motorways to get to work? Ditto delivery of goods and services

A shared flight on a full airplane is about as public as transport gets these days. But nothing like fuking up other peoples lives to make a point eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Just to repeat my view

However when they don't get their way here we'll see how their behaviour changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

gozunda wrote: »
    Do buses not use motorways? Do workers not need motorways to get to work? Ditto delivery of goods and services

A shared flight on a full airplane is about as public as transport gets these days. But nothing like fuking up other peoples lives to make a point eh?

A few days ago he was claiming no one wants to ground planes LOL total spoofer . He needs to realise plane trains and automobiles WILL still keep motoring ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It will fade into obscurity. No popular support and it never will have. As thick as Joe public can be sometimes not thick enough to beg governments to tax him more or back a contrived sham of a movement like XR that's begging for more tax and less freedom. XR is nothing more than a feel good cult for bone idle wastrels who either live off their parents money or state handouts. The X factor for a bunch of smellbags. Get a job you bums.

they already got jobs the non-bums.

it is one's personal responsibility to plan around any protests that may disrupt them. if one was denied the opportunity to earn a living, then they also have blame and certainly have no right to be behaving like thugs.

i would suspect it was a mix of.
    1. the angry brigade who have a go at anyone and everyone when something happens they don't like. same type would have a go at staffhad it been some other issue that disrupted the tube, say emergency track works.
    2. people looking to specifically have a fight with extinction rebellion protesters. i suspect probably because they believe them to be of the opposite political view so are there fair game for attack.
    3. people looking to have a go at someone, anyone.
    normal people certainly don't behave like that anyway, in my experience at least.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just to repeat my view

So a person gets a message that a relative has had a serious medical even so they rush to catch a plane to get to them and you think it's a good idea to make them miss their flight and so they arrive on an alternative one a day or more later, but the person dies just before they get there?

Why do you think you and your like minded bleeps should be able to do that to other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The "mob" when they don't subscribe to your world view, "activists" when they do. Why aren't xr hindering people in Mayfair, Notting Hill, Chelsea, Knightsbridge etc? The biggest consumers by far on this planet live in those kind of areas.

it is one's personal responsibility to plan around any protests that may disrupt them. if one was denied the opportunity to earn a living, then they also have blame and certainly have no right to be behaving like thugs.

Not how the world works comrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

111533703" wrote:

Not how the world works comrade.

Your posts make you sound like you've watched too many Clint Eastwood films.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Cut their social welfare. They are supposed to be out looking for jobs not making a nuisance of themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Cut their social welfare. They are supposed to be out looking for jobs not making a nuisance of themselves

The 'men' kicking the protester in the head? Agreed.

Advertisement