Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    A guy who runs a custom controller company in the US tailored towards competitive players, has his hands on a DS5 and done a full tear down of it on twitter, link below:
    https://twitter.com/HangryBeaver

If anyone is interested

I am! Have to say I'm completely intrigued to find out how this thing feels. Hopefully the effects won't be underused (or indeed overused) in titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Miles Morales loading time is ridiculous, mere seconds.

Even getting into the game is super quick

https://vimeo.com/473968111

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This is gonna drasticly reduce the amount of tea I drink :D Loading GTA used to be great for getting a cup of tae in for a loading screen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

That is crazy quick. This is the real next gen improvement here (if you ignore the cartridge generations)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well lads, my gaming started at about 6 or 7 years old on the Commodore 64. You'd put in a cassette tape and wait 30 minutes to load a game. You'd go eat dinner and pray that the tape didn't jam and you'd have to load it again.

Now here we are, 2 second loading times.

R.I.P loading screen tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Well lads, my gaming started at about 6 or 7 years old on the Commodore 64. You'd put in a cassette tape and wait 30 minutes to load a game. You'd go eat dinner and pray that the tape didn't jam and you'd have to load it again.

Finally someone of my vintage on here.
    I remember being amazed the first time I got a cartridge for the c64, it was Toki which was quickly followed by Terminator 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,941 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I remember being amazed the first time I got a cartridge for the c64, it was Toki which was quickly followed by Terminator 2.

Flimbos quest for the win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Manic Miner on the Speccy 48k. Worth the loading time wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Magicland Dizzy, oh the hours spent on that! And the various loading music.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Spectrum 128k here. So Oh Mummy, Treasure Island or Crazy Golf were the early games I played in that.

On the loading screen tips, did you ever learn anything from them that proved useful? I've actually appreciated them a few times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Magicland Dizzy, oh the hours spent on that! And the various loading music.

Dam I loved the old school games started on the amstrad cpc with a green monitor few of my favourites were Roland in the caves and harrier attack and oh mummy the music. The loading screens as the lines gradually made a picture hoping it wouldn’t eat the cassette :-). Picked up an arcade machine for my old school fix. Can’t wait to open up this ps5 such a leap compared to back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ant Attack on the C64, save the girl from oversized ants chasing you around a maze, great times... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Spectrum 128k here. So Oh Mummy, Treasure Island or Crazy Golf were the early games I played in that.

On the loading screen tips, did you ever learn anything from them that proved useful? I've actually appreciated them a few times

90581c1559c82f39fff98d176dadb39f7c60d76577fa5cad09ad8ed70fa7c4cc_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

CastorTroy wrote: »

I aged years waiting for defender load on my BBC micro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

80's baba here. NES in early 90's kicked it all off for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I started on Atari apparently. I don't remember it, but my Mom tells me that my Uncles tried to teach me how to play video games when I was like 2 or 3.

The console, I actually remember playing is the NES, so the instant loading is going back to my childhood :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Atari 2600 and Desert Falcon here what a game haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

All I had were the cartridges that came with the system, such as Tooth Invaders, and they never struck me as impressive, as they were lesser games than the cassettes (in my mind). I do remember being seriously impressed by the speed of which Granny’s Garden loaded on the floppy disks in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

Tempest audio’s got nothing on the Commodore SID chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

BBC B. Before we got the tape drive, we had to type the fucking code in ourselves out of a book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Centipede on the Atari 2600. What a time. Then the C64 with some circus game on cartridge that Google tells me was called Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O'Fun. The piracy of games on cassette was rampant :) Those loading screens almost seizure inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

ah but the loading times allowed some great loading screen music - especislly Last Ninja and Delta

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

lertsnim wrote: »
    Centipede on the Atari 2600. What a time. Then the C64 with some circus game on cartridge that Google tells me was called Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O'Fun. The piracy of games on cassette was rampant :) Those loading screens almost seizure inducing.

You want a lend of my game....sure, here's a high speed dubbing of it , I put 2 on it for you, game 2 starts at 21:23 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

DrZeuss wrote: »
    You want a lend of my game....sure, here's a high speed dubbing of it , I put 2 on it for you, game 2 starts at 21:23 ;)

What a magical time for gamers.
    when a game had a minigame you could play while loading...that was the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Not sure if posted already but the former Platestation was hit with a cease and desist and is no longer offering custom plates.

https://twitter.com/customizeplates/status/1322256886775844865?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Evilbart wrote: »
    Dam I loved the old school games started on the amstrad cpc with a green monitor few of my favourites were Roland in the caves and harrier attack and oh mummy the music. The loading screens as the lines gradually made a picture hoping it wouldn’t eat the cassette :-). Picked up an arcade machine for my old school fix. Can’t wait to open up this ps5 such a leap compared to back then.

I can remember in CBS primary in the 80s we used go to school around 7 or 8am just to play those games. Be about 5 of us waiting for the gates to be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

thebiglad wrote: »
    You would hope the box including packaging would not be larger than a wheelie bin (95) the other dimensions like a large suitcase size - again, should be hopeful.

PM are not saying no delivery to lockers, they will reject the parcel at their depots so changing to home delivery will not get around that restriction.

Seems very unlikely the PS5s will be hit but really no idea how big of an outer box Amazon is going to put them in.

If only they would just deliver direct to Ireland save time, hassle and money for us all.

Got this email too. I just hope the dimensions given on Amazon are the packaging dimensions and not the actual console dimensions?

Wonder should I use Parcel Wizard or Address Pal? I have accounts with them but haven’t used either yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I’m still worried so last night I took my general waste bin in and placed it under my tv just to make sure I’ve enough room for this console. It just barely fits, but hopefully it’ll get through.

:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Got this email too. I just hope the dimensions given on Amazon are the packaging dimensions and not the actual console dimensions?

Wonder should I use Parcel Wizard or Address Pal? I have accounts with them but haven’t used either yet.

Increase your insurance cover with PM. You're only covered for €100(?) with PW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

It's in Spanish, but - https://www.levelup.com/noticias/597390/Confirman-que-Demon-s-Souls-no-tendra-raytracing-en-PlayStation-5 - Demons Souls does not support Ray Tracing by developer choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement