Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Got in for last 20 minutes, and Cork were just dying on their feet. Tyrone too have come same route but looked to have a bit more in the tank, and have the capital of a series of wins whereas Cork were coming off the Dublin beating.

I think as well that once Cork lost the lead, they were like a long distance runner headed going down the straight. Impossible to get back up there.

Hard to take much from it. Find this Tyrone team very hard to judge, and probably won't see their full measure until the semi finals/

Tyrone have flattered to deceive for the past two years but were beaten in exactly the same way ; inability tactically or emotionally to recover from a shock goal against them , they may have learnt something from falling behind against Cork but Dublin are a different proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

RMAOK wrote: »
    Like was said earlier, it smacked of the referee making things even after Kerry getting the black

Completely, that was no card, it might be an amateur sport but with bûll**** amateur beyond awful officiating like that, trying to ‘even it up’ it just detracts from the overall enjoyment for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Not really championship related but doesn't Anthony Cunningham look very like this guy from the Godfather:
    27vigoda-obit-2-articleLarge-v2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Downlinz wrote: »
    Mixed. In both years the group without Dublin has been competitive and interesting but the Dublin group has been predictable and greatly disadvantages the team who wind up with Dublin as their "neutral" game since they ultimately have to win an away game to progress which applies to no other team.

It's unfortunately difficult to look beyond the Dublin issue at the moment as I don't think there's a competition structure that could make things feel fair, competitive and exciting without changes elsewhere.

Straight knockout. Seeded on league results for the first round and random draw thereafter.

Play provincials as the pre season games rather than the fbd league etc.

Problem solved.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Robson99 wrote: »
    First game was as bad. Cillian Connor was constantly at it

Cillian Connor is he worst ive ever seen for trying to get men sent off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

corny wrote: »
    Whelan doing a good job of showing the Colm Cavanagh unseen work!

Also highlighting the amount of steps being taking by players
    Mayo players
    He must be getting worried again

I’m fairly sure I’ve seen this raised about another team at some stage on here a lot
    Obviously not on the Sunday Game though ......

Nice balanced panel tonight anyway
    2 Dubs and 2 Yerras
    Fitzmaurice auditioning for the part of Father Stone
    I’d say he got it
    Zzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

km79 wrote: »
    Fitzmaurice auditioning for the part of Father Stone
    I’d say he got it
    Zzzzzzzzzzz

he might stay...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Not really championship related but doesn't Anthony Cunningham look very like this guy from the Godfather:
    27vigoda-obit-2-articleLarge-v2.jpg

anyone believe in reincarnation ...:eek:

killed at a filling station in 1955 , ten years later reborn in ballinasloe both heavily betrayed by the people that made them :rolleyes:

if cunningham is not called tessio at roscommon training sessions it sparks a huge lack of effort in the camp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Fann Linn wrote: »
    When Mayo knock fcuk outta them tomorrow he'll be even more depressed.

I enjoyed the match today despite losing. Losing to another county of similar resources and tradition to ourselves is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm not like the Dubs who balled their eyes out in 2009 or 2010. You lot never took losing well and bring that grudge with you as bad winners thereafter.

I'm a club man first and foremost and see that as important to spread our sporting culture, the GAA. It's one of the things that makes us irish very unique. It's heart breaking seeing the current situation unfold. The intercounty scene is the best advert to get kids to join clubs and play the GAA but unfortunately that's gone to ****. Unless Dublin are split or removed from the county competition on the basis there a province I can't see any hope the situation will improve.

The section of the Dubs who think this situation is good or want Dublin to become even more dominant are not true gaels.The founders of the GAA would be turning in their graves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

km79 wrote: »
    Also highlighting the amount of steps being taking by players Fitzmaurice auditioning for the part of Father Stone
    I’d say he got it
    Zzzzzzzzzzz

:)

• Advertisement

Why is there not a Donegal or Tyrone panelist on the Sunday game ?? two kerry propagandists instead commenting on a Kerry v Donegal game RTE not even trying to have some impartiality. Spillane and Cooper must be sick they didn't get there speak in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

thelad95 wrote: »
    What are people’s thoughts on the super 8s this year and last? Is it something likely to continue forward into the future? I’m not so sure.

I can’t help but feel a Luke warm tempo to the games, similar to a large proportion of games in Munster hurling this year.

The Kerry v Donegal game had an unusual feel to it. While it was a massively entertaining game, just lacked that extra bit of bite that would have been there if it was straight knock out.

I expect it to be scrapped after it's 3 year trial period. A group stage for the last eight was never a good idea and will nearly always leave you with dead rubbers. To freshen up the qualifiers maybe HQ should introduce group stage in that?

I agree on Donegal v Kerry game and while it was the match of the weekend it was still missing that knock out element to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Why is there not a Donegal or Trone panelist on the Sunday game ?? two kerry propagandists instead commenting on a Kerry v Donegal game RTE not even trying to have some impartiality. Spillane must be sick he didn't get his speak.

Because they aren’t from Kerry or Dublin....RTÉ falling over themselves to get a Dublin game match at any stage of the season and then we have to listen to the nostalgia sh**e.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Because they aren’t from Kerry or Dublin....RTÉ falling over themselves to get a Dublin game match at any stage of the season and then we have to listen to the nostalgia sh**e.

have you not listened to colm cavanagh from tyrone the inventor of the the word ".shide" :rolleyes: , he is complete nonsense and after a full career of playing gaelic football still dosnt know the rules of the gaa

struggles to name players of teams out side of division 1 also , so answer is he is crap ,

donegal's martin mchugh is working with RTE for years but is impossible to listen to at times , seems to talk a lot more sense on BBC for some reason :confused:

have you not listened to colm cavanagh from tyrone likes the word ".shide" a lot :rolleyes: , he is complete nonsense and after a full career of playing gaelic football still dosnt know the rules of the game

struggles to name players of teams out side of division 1 also , so answer is he is crap ,

donegal's martin mchugh is working with RTE for years but is impossible to listen to at times , seems to talk a lot more sense on BBC for some reason :confused:

There is other counties. Tonight was especially telling, two analysts from one county that was playing and none from the other teams that were playing. Fitzmaurice in the examiner has been especially vitriolic in his articles against other teams. Rte should not be giving him a profile for more of his nonsense.

Where are the Roscommon / Galway / Cork / Tyrone etc analysts.

There is other counties. Tonight was especially telling, two analysts from one county that was playing and none from the other teams that were playing. Fitzmaurice in the examiner has been especially vitriolic in his articles against other teams. Rte should not be giving him a profile for more of his nonsense.

true agree with most of this , tyrone is represented badly by cavanagh , cake from roscommon or someone like joyce from galway should be on , they tried paddy kelly from cork and that ended badly , they never replaced tony davis if you ask me

delighted to see oisin mcconville on rte but is a far better pundit then co commentator they are trying in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I enjoyed the match today despite losing. Losing to another county of similar resources and tradition to ourselves is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm not like the Dubs who balled their eyes out in 2009 or 2010. You lot never took losing well and bring that grudge with you as bad winners thereafter.

I'm a club man first and foremost and see that as important to spread our sporting culture, the GAA. It's one of the things that makes us irish very unique. It's heart breaking seeing the current situation unfold. The intercounty scene is the best advert to get kids to join clubs and play the GAA but unfortunately that's gone to ****. Unless Dublin are split or removed from the county competition on the basis there a province I can't see any hope the situation will improve.

The section of the Dubs who think this situation is good or want Dublin to become even more dominant are not true gaels. The founders of the GAA would be turning in their graves.

Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

true agree with most of this , tyrone is represented badly by cavanagh , cake from roscommon or someone like joyce from galway should be on , they tried paddy kelly from cork and that ended badly , they never replaced tony davis if you ask me

delighted to see oisin mcconville on rte but is a far better pundit then co commentator they are trying in fairness

Oisin McConville is about the only one I can listen to.

PressRun wrote: »

he is top drawer , and an excellent man to talk , but is wasted in the box, bbc coverage of the ulster championship was brilliant

there commentator was top class , mchugh wasnt allowed talk all day about something that had nothing to do with the game ,and marty clarke and oisin mc were the best pundits of the 3 stations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭munster87

munster87 wrote: »
    Croke Park and Mayo needing the win, I think they win by 5+. The other game in that group is hard to call. I’d say only a couple of points in it either way. How the teams deal with Murphy/Clifford will be the difference.
    Dublin by 15+ against Roscommon, I’d like to see Cork win the other game, great to see them coming back to form, but I think Tyrone by 2 or 3.

Fairly close all round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Definitely way to many Kerry pundits on the SG
    They are also clogging up most articles in newspapers

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

When Eamonn O'Hara or Shane Curran or someone from a weaker county appear on the Sunday Game, the reaction is 'Why is he on the panel, what has he won?'

Impossible to please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Surprised we haven't seen Mike Meehan on more often. He was very good previously.

I'd definitely tune in to see himself, McConville and Tomas O Se analyse a game. Preferably with anyone other than Des Cahill chairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

doc_17 wrote: »

have you not listened to colm cavanagh from tyrone the inventor of the the word ".shide" :rolleyes: , he is complete nonsense and after a full career of playing gaelic football still dosnt know the rules of the gaa

You mean Sean Cavanagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

When Eamonn O'Hara or Shane Curran or someone from a weaker county appear on the Sunday Game, the reaction is 'Why is he on the panel, what has he won?'

Impossible to please everyone.

O Hara should never have been let back on it after his hatchet job on Kevin Walsh- it was classless and embarrassing.

Curran was a bit of a clown to be honest- almost like a cartoon character at first and then he tried to reinvent himself but it was just hilariously fake.

Cian ward seems to be a good pundit, Michael quirke is good but there is really a lack of top quality guys. Most of them just engage in statements of fact as opposed to analysing why something happened and the tactical moves, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Dara O Cinnede definitely should be presenting the SG

• Registered Users Posts: 18,261 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Cake Curran is surely the man to get for any Rossie game?
    Ray Silke would be good for RTE (Not sure if he is contracted to TG4 though?)

There should be more variation of panelists when for the fellas from competing teams.
    They do it for soccer matches why not the GAA?
    Every county has a fella that loves talking they should be brought out when thier team is playing to give insight perspective.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

PressRun wrote: »

Jayus he is awful mumbles his way through.
    He really exaggerates the ulster thing of the pursed lip, and being afraid to open thier mouth to let the words out

I enjoy Tomas O'Se and Whelo they make good analysts in fairness.
    Brolly is a bit pantomime and Whelo cuts an exasperated figure beside him at times.

For the other counties when they are playing games each county should nominate two fellas, they think would make good analysts, able to talk knows players tactics etc - with a playing history.
    Then RTE would have an analyst pool to dip into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Cake Curran is surely the man to get for any Rossie game?
    Ray Silke would be good for RTE (Not sure if he is contracted to TG4 though?)

There should be more variation of panelists when for the fellas from competing teams.
    They do it for soccer matches why not the GAA?
    Every county has a fella that loves talking they should be brought out when thier team is playing to give insight perspective.

Jesus Way Wilke would be awful. He would put you to sleep listening to him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement