Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Fair enough if thats what it was given for, right decision, was fairly manic where I was watching it. Was just saying that it also looked like a square ball in the replay

Yeah had to rewatch it myself to confirm it and the refs actions were clear. That's not the point I was trying to argue anyway, more so that the Donegal man made the right decision to try and set up a fisted goal with a lot of bodies in his way for a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Good game, could have gone either way. Seán O'Shea had Brennan as a jockey for about 10 mins of the 2nd half, plenty other talking pts but Lee Keegan had the same approach in the league final.

Annoying from kerry pt of view but plenty else going on before anyone jumps on it. Just an observation.

Not as bad as O’Mahoney on Murphy in 2014. Ridiculous altogether that day. Lasted the whole game. Players get away with it and shouldn’t. Linesmen should have helped today when that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

O Donnell black card seemed incredibly harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

seligehgit wrote: »

Like was said earlier, it smacked of the referee making things even after Kerry getting the black

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

Nice to see the Sunday Game getting a wider perspective tonight with two Kerry men and a Dublin man. I guess some things never change..

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »

I called it as soon as the ref blew. Was sitting beside 2 Donegal lads and said the ref would even it up. He had given strange frees all game to both sides in his pursuit to even things out. He had an absolute shocker for both sides today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Also as I witnessed it a few times in the second half- if you hand off a man in GAA it’s a free.

It’s not rugby so there are no hand offs- refs need to realise this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

mystic86 wrote: »
    Reffing was a joke today at times, Kerry got nothing from him and Donegal got a few very dubious ones. Donegal backs at it off the ball all day.

Open the other eye and things will seem much clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Seadin

Great game of football today with Kerry and Donegal. Two fantastic teams neither derserved to lose. Good entertainment and lovely to see the game played the way it was today in croke park.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think Tyrone will beat Dublin and then in the other group the others will want too finish 2nd as they would meet Tyrone other than Dublin in the semi final (if Tyrone beat Dublin in the final group game)

Kerry will top the group if they win and Mayo beat Donegal. Kerry and Donegal win then its Pts difference for 1st/2nd. Mayo need a win really but a draw might get them through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Think Tyrone will beat Dublin and then in the other group the others will want too finish 2nd as they would meet Tyrone other than Dublin in the semi final (if Tyrone beat Dublin in the final group game)

Kerry will top the group if they win and Mayo beat Donegal. Kerry and Donegal win then its Pts difference for 1st/2nd. Mayo need a win really but a draw might get them through

A draw won’t get mayo through because their points difference is much worse than Donegal’s. They have to win, if they get their injured players back they have a good chance imo.

Trying to finish second to avoid Dublin could backfire and I’d seriously question any side or manager with that mentality. You play what is in front of you, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The Group table means that there can't be any messing about. Pretty safe to assume Kerry will beat Meath; Mayo have to win. Donegal also have to get at least a point.

As for Dublin/Tyrone, can't see either team trying not to win!

might field a different team than intended for the semi final, but that's no guarantee that either will not be flat out. I would expect a pretty intense game.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Mayo have to win and if they do will finish second even if Meath beat Kerry. .

Think you've got that wrong. If those results happen, Mayo will top the group on 4 points and that would leave Kerry and Donegal on 3 points each so would go down to scoring difference between them. Meath would finish bottom with 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

PTH2009 wrote: »

Highly unlikely a draw will get Mayo through even if Meath were to beat Kerry, Kerry would qualify by the head to head game and Donegal top the group on 4 points. Kerry are likely to beat Meath and should win by enough to increase there point differnce by enough if Donegal beat Mayo. Donegal looked very good today unless Mayo really increase there preformance level they should have enough to beat Mayo. Mayo need to win to qualify

Slava Ukrainii

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Also as I witnessed it a few times in the second half- if you hand off a man in GAA it’s a free.

It’s not rugby so there are no hand offs- refs need to realise this

But you are entitled to hand off, if a half forward fields a ball turns and is hit he can hand off, if a half back is taking the ball into midfield snd is checked he can hand off, it a form of creating space to protect yourself. Your claims of MM after today is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Donegal keeper comfortable under the high ball again this weekend .......

dobman88 wrote: »
    Think you've got that wrong. If those results happen, Mayo will top the group on 4 points and that would leave Kerry and Donegal on 3 points each so would go down to scoring difference between them. Meath would finish bottom with 2 points.

Yeah. Corrected that. But Mayo still have to win.

The group one games are on the Saturday so that in itself rules out any mad plan based on what might happen in Omagh!

There could be - but not this year - a scenario in which it might suit a team to lose in order to ensure that their opponent in their last game went into semis rather than a team they would prefer less to meet!

The group one games are on the Saturday so that in itself rules out any mad plan based on what might happen in Omagh!

There could be - but not this year - a scenario in which it might suit a team to lose in order to ensure that their opponent in their last game went into semis rather than a team they would prefer less to meet!

I'm really not a fan of that type of thing. Play your games to win and play whoever is next. This whole thing of trying to finish 2nd or whatever could bite teams so always best to just take it as it comes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Possibly better to play Dublin in the Semi-Final. Only 1 week to prepare to beat you instead of 3.

Might get away with a 12 point beating instead of a 24 point one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I can see Kerry with a higher winning margin over Meath than Donegal could beat Mayo by, put it this way, if Donegal beat Mayo it will be by no more than three or four points, Kerry have +1 point over Donegal already and Kerry are still top of the table despite the draw today.

Dublin will steam roll Tyrone by about 5-10 points, my predictions are Donegal V Dublin, Kerry V Tyrone semis, I wouldn't rule out Mayo since it in Castlebar but the gut says Donegal to prevail. Kerry V Dublin 90% and Kerry to break Dublin hearts and stop the 5 in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Galway last year is a great example of why a team should not ease off once they've qualified from the group with a game to spare. Completely flat against Monaghan, and couldn't lift it a week later in the semi final. Dublin would have beaten them anyway, but they were fairly pathetic in that game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

But you are entitled to hand off, if a half forward fields a ball turns and is hit he can hand off, if a half back is taking the ball into midfield snd is checked he can hand off, it a form of creating space to protect yourself. Your claims of MM after today is laughable.

You are 100% wrong - there is no allowance anywhere in the rules of GAA for any type of hand-off whatsoever.

The following is an agressive foul
    Rule 5.8 To push an opponent with the hand(s).

Any player who commits a hand-off should be blown for a free against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What are people’s thoughts on the super 8s this year and last? Is it something likely to continue forward into the future? I’m not so sure.

I can’t help but feel a Luke warm tempo to the games, similar to a large proportion of games in Munster hurling this year.

The Kerry v Donegal game had an unusual feel to it. While it was a massively entertaining game, just lacked that extra bit of bite that would have been there if it was straight knock out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hard to know what to make of Tyrone, got a win against Roscommon last week by pulling away near the end and again last night, if Cork were more cute in the second half they could have gpt a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

thelad95 wrote: »
    What are people’s thoughts on the super 8s this year and last? Is it something likely to continue forward into the future? I’m not so sure.

I'm watching The Sunday Game and based on the amount of empty seats I'd say it hasn't caught on.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Hard to know what to make of Tyrone, got a win against Roscommon last week by pulling away near the end and again last night, if Cork were more cute in the second half they could have gpt a win.

Got in for last 20 minutes, and Cork were just dying on their feet. Tyrone too have come same route but looked to have a bit more in the tank, and have the capital of a series of wins whereas Cork were coming off the Dublin beating.

I think as well that once Cork lost the lead, they were like a long distance runner headed going down the straight. Impossible to get back up there.

Hard to take much from it. Find this Tyrone team very hard to judge, and probably won't see their full measure until the semi finals/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I can’t help but feel a Luke warm tempo to the games, similar to a large proportion of games in Munster hurling this year.

The Kerry v Donegal game had an unusual feel to it. While it was a massively entertaining game, just lacked that extra bit of bite that would have been there if it was straight knock out.

I don’t like it, it has no intensity and far too likely to turn up dead rubbers most years I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Mixed. In both years the group without Dublin has been competitive and interesting but the Dublin group has been predictable and greatly disadvantages the team who wind up with Dublin as their "neutral" game since they ultimately have to win an away game to progress which applies to no other team.

It's unfortunately difficult to look beyond the Dublin issue at the moment as I don't think there's a competition structure that could make things feel fair, competitive and exciting without changes elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Galway last year is a great example of why a team should not ease off once they've qualified from the group with a game to spare. Completely flat against Monaghan, and couldn't lift it a week later in the semi final. Dublin would have beaten them anyway, but they were fairly pathetic in that game

In fairness Galway named a strong team v Monaghan they just played poorly. They had a very long season after a good league run with more or less the same side. They didn't intentionally ease off

They actually gave Dublin a great game early on. They were well beaten in second half like anyone else would have been tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Whelan doing a good job of showing the Colm Cavanagh unseen work!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement