Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Has Kevin ‘Rory Gallagher’ Walsh resigned yet?

Horrific manager doing untold damage to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Has Kevin ‘Rory Gallagher’ Walsh resigned yet?

Horrific manager doing untold damage to Galway.

I couldn't agree more, they are awful under his management. They've better players than that. The same can be said of McGeeney, he seems to get away with it too

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

I think its time the players took some of the criticism instead of KW

• Registered Users Posts: 67,214 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think its time the players took some for the criticism instead of KW

Looked for all the world like a split in the camp in Galway...half of them didn't seem all that bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i think the problem here is not the players starting but the ones on the bench or not on the panel at all , surly it has to be time for a change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

risteard7 wrote: »
    I know, but I think we really should if we've any ambition to progress

given your recent record against us you have every right to be confident , i am expecting a huge backlash from ye after the dublin game to be honest

given your recent record against us you have every right to be confident , i am expecting a huge backlash from ye after the dublin game to be honest

I think the Clare Footballers are doing great things though. I just hope not tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Slattsy wrote: »
    Let's be honest, the AI is a better place with Mayo in it.

Galway supporters won't even support their team, pathetic again from them. Probably because the hurlers were playing. Oh wait.

That's a seriously tough group though, very hard to know who'll get out. I'd probably fancy Donegal and Mayo at the moment. Kerry could be caught cold.
    Meath will beat Mayo, Galway are shocking. Armagh should have beat Mayo & they are poor
    dobman88 wrote: »
    Meath will beat Mayo

Have to get over Clare first who will be no push overs.

Hope they have more up their sleeves than the 4 point plan they had to beat Dublin 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Nonsense. This is down to a shambolic playing set up that is squandering the talent of some absolutely fantastic footballers. It is entirely at the managers door.

We had it for 3 years with rory gallagher and it was nothing short of a disgrace what he was allowed to do with us. Get Walsh out and get a pragmatic positive manager in and you will 100% reap rewards very quickly.

Meath have had one bad game all year and that was against the greatest team to ever play the game. If we do get over Clare we have Mayo in Croke park & Kerry in Navan. Mayo are definitely beatable. The atmosphere for Kerry would be electric

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Olpiy

What is the capacity of Navan at the moment??

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Hope they have more up their sleeves than the 4 point plan they had to beat Dublin 😉

When is the last time mayo actually beat Meath? Genuine question?

Olpiy wrote: »
    What is the capacity of Navan at the moment??

Not much! About 12k without health & Safety 20,000 of they opened the grass banks behind the goals

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not much! About 12k without health & Safety 20,000 of they opened the grass banks behind the goals

Could there be a controversy over whether Meath get to play a game at home? I'm sure it would help if you could come up with a memorable hashtag to rally around:P

Could there be a controversy over whether Meath get to play a game at home? I'm sure it would help if you could come up with a memorable hashtag to rally around:P

After the whole Newbridge debacle, I dont think the GAA would even try 😌

• Registered Users Posts: 15,077 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In The Championship ?

Probably the 1951 All Ireland Final

They did not reach a final until 1989 so they should not have had the chance to beat them before then (Mayo lost to Meath in 1988 at least)

Meath won in 1996 and again in 2009, they are the only years I recall them meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dublin vs Mayo All Ireland final with Mayo ending the 5 in a row dream

Semis
    Tyrone (grp winners, will beat Dublin in the Grp stage ) vs Mayo (Grp Runners up)

Donegal (grp winners) vs Dublin (Grp runners up)

Cork, Roscommon, Kerry and who wins tomorrow too lose out

In The Championship ?

Probably the 1951 All Ireland Final

They did not reach a final until 1989 so they should not have had the chance to beat them before then (Mayo lost to Meath in 1988 at least)

Meath won in 1996 and again in 2009, they are the only years I recall them meeting.

Why do o think we played them again after 09?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,902 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Same as. We'll travel and watch the matches anyway. What else wud you be at?

Sure you might as well now that Kerry are in the super 8`s.
    With the awful shortage of young lads coming through you could be in Div 4 in a couple number of years. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

risteard7 wrote:

Meath are a bogey team of sorts for Mayo. Mayo and Meath have played 7 times in the championship with Meath losing once and that was 70 years in 1951. The famous win of course for Meath was in 1996 final. Meath in modern times beat Mayo in 2009 quarter final where Mayo were strong favourites . And in 1988 All Ireland semi final Meath won where a young Liam McHale played full forward v Mick Lyons and it was a great tussle.

Another famous game was in 1967 All Ireland semi final. Mayo were strong favourites in the semi final. As Mayo in mid 60s were seen as second best team in the country with great battles with Galway three in a row team. In 1967 Mayo defeated great Galway team by 11 points in Connacht semi final and the feeling was Mayo were the team to beat to win Sam. In a great game Meath beat Mayo in All Ireland semi final by 6 points with scoreline Meath 3 - 14 Mayo 1- 14.

Meath have an excellent record v Connacht teams in the championship. Roscommon have never beaten Meath in the championship with 4 Meath victories in 4 Meath v Roscommon games. Since Mayo victory over Meath in 1951 , in the following 68 years Meath have only lost to Connacht team 3 times to Galway in 1964 , 1966 and 2001.

Meaths record v Connacht since Mayo last win
    v Mayo 4 wins 1 draw ( 1996 ) for Meath 1967 , 1988, 1996 , 2009
    v Roscommon 4 wins for Meath 1952 , 1991, 2006 and 2009
    v Sligo 1 win for Meath 2017
    v Leitrm 1 win for Meath 2005
    v Galway 3 wins for Galway 1964 1966 2001 and 3 wins for Meath 1970 2007 2011

So since Mayos last win v Meath in 1951 , Meath have played Connacht teams in the championship 13 times with 1 draw, 3 loses and 9 Meath victories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

The odds are stacked against Meath winning on Sunday.

1 There has been 72 provicial losing finalist in the backdoor. 26 of them have won their next qualifier game. There has been 46 losers.
    2 leinster and Connacht have the worst record with only 4 leinster teams have lost leinster final and won their next game and only 5 Connacht teams have lost the Connacht final and won their next games in the qualifiers.
    3 Leinster has 22% winning ratio after losing leinster finals in 4th round qualifiers. Connacht has 28% winning ratio after losing Connacht finals in 4th round qualifiers.
    4 The 4 teams that lost leinster final and won their next game were kildare in 2009 , Wexford in 2008 , laois in 2005 and Dublin in 2001.
    5 kildare the last team to lose leinster final and win their next qualifier beat div 4 Wicklow.
    6 Last year 3 of the provience finalist losers lost their next qualifier.
    7 The year beforehand in 2017 3 of the provience finalist lost their next qualifier.
    8 In the last 4 years 11 of the 16 teams that lost their provicial final lost their next game in qualifiers.
    9 In 2010 all 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2011 3 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2012 3 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2013 2 of the 4 provicial finalist loser lost their next qualifier game
    In 2014 1 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2015 3 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2016 2 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2017 3 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2018 3 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game.

So the odds are stacked against Meath. However there is some positive stats for Meath. In last 3 games between Meath and Clare in last 2 years, Meath have won by 12 points in Ennis 2 years , by 14 points last year and 5 points this year in Ennis. And Meath have a brillant record v Clare. In league and championship Clare have only beaten Meath one time.

Hopefully this is a good sign for Meath in that the last two times Meath won 4th round qualifier to reach last 8 was in Portlaoise. Meath beat limerick in 2009 in Portlaoise in 4th round qualifiers and Meath defeated Galway in 2007 in Portlaoise in 4th round qualifiers. Will it be third time in a row for Meath in Portlaoise to reach last 8. Fingers crossed.

Clare are good proper football team who play good attacking football. They have a shrewd manager and strong in the centre with the brilliant Gary Brennan and I think O Connor and excellent Turbridy upfront. They have stayed in div 2 for last few seasons and played well v kerry in first half ..They are going for second time to reach last 8 in last few years.

In the three games Meath beat Clare , I felt Meaths pace was a factor. I think Clare lacked pace and Meaths players like Cillian Sullivan James McEntee Graham Reilly and particularly Bryan McMahon caused problems. McMahons father is from Clare. If these players Sullivan Reilly and McMahon play well and use their pace this will be massive positive for Meath.

It must also be said in last two seasons Meath have been in this position and responded well..In 2017 and 2018 Meath suffered demoralising defeats in leinster to kildare in 2017 and longford in 2018. Meath responded afterwards with best performances of the years eg Donegal in 2017 and Tyrone in 2018. Meath played Sligo in 2017 before Donegal game but that along with victory Galway in 2017 , Donegal game was Meaths best performance of 2017.

And McEntee has done this at minor also. In 2012 under McEntee Meaths minor lost demoralising leinster final to Dublin. Meath afterwards defeated a highly fancied Tyrone in quater finals and highly fancied Mayo in semi final. To show how good that Tyrone team was players from that team won under 21 All Ireland title. 5 of the starting 15 for Meath on Sunday was part of that sucessful Meath minor team which is the only leinster team to reach All Ireland final outside Dubs in last 16 years.

So can McEntee Meath team again for 4th time in a row produce an old fashioned gaa backlash after bad defeat or will Clare continue the great work they have done under Collins over last few years. Time will tell. .

Sonny678 wrote: »
    The odds are stacked against Meath winning on Sunday.

1 There has been 72 provicial losing finalist in the backdoor. 26 of them have won their next qualifier game. There has been 46 losers.
    2 leinster and Connacht have the worst record with only 4 leinster teams have lost leinster final and won their next game and only 5 Connacht teams have lost the Connacht final and won their next games in the qualifiers.
    3 Leinster has 22% winning ratio after losing leinster finals in 4th round qualifiers. Connacht has 28% winning ratio after losing Connacht finals in 4th round qualifiers.
    4 The 4 teams that lost leinster final and won their next game were kildare in 2009 , Wexford in 2008 , laois in 2005 and Dublin in 2001.
    5 kildare the last team to lose leinster final and win their next qualifier beat div 4 Wicklow.
    6 Last year 3 of the provience finalist losers lost their next qualifier.
    7 The year beforehand in 2017 3 of the provience finalist lost their next qualifier.
    8 In the last 4 years 11 of the 16 teams that lost their provicial final lost their next game in qualifiers.
    9 In 2010 all 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2011 3 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2012 3 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2013 2 of the 4 provicial finalist loser lost their next qualifier game
    In 2014 1 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2015 3 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2016 2 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2017 3 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game
    In 2018 3 of the 4 provicial finalist losers lost their next qualifier game.

So the odds are stacked against Meath. However there is some positive stats for Meath. In last 3 games between Meath and Clare in last 2 years, Meath have won by 12 points in Ennis 2 years , by 14 points last year and 5 points this year in Ennis. And Meath have a brillant record v Clare. In league and championship Clare have only beaten Meath one time.

Hopefully this is a good sign for Meath in that the last two times Meath won 4th round qualifier to reach last 8 was in Portlaoise. Meath beat limerick in 2009 in Portlaoise in 4th round qualifiers and Meath defeated Galway in 2007 in Portlaoise in 4th round qualifiers. Will it be third time in a row for Meath in Portlaoise to reach last 8. Fingers crossed.

Clare are good proper football team who play good attacking football. They have a shrewd manager and strong in the centre with the brilliant Gary Brennan and I think O Connor and excellent Turbridy upfront. They have stayed in div 2 for last few seasons and played well v kerry in first half ..They are going for second time to reach last 8 in last few years.

In the three games Meath beat Clare , I felt Meaths pace was a factor. I think Clare lacked pace and Meaths players like Cillian Sullivan James McEntee Graham Reilly and particularly Bryan McMahon caused problems. McMahons father is from Clare. If these players Sullivan Reilly and McMahon play well and use their pace this will be massive positive for Meath.

It must also be said in last two seasons Meath have been in this position and responded well..In 2017 and 2018 Meath suffered demoralising defeats in leinster to kildare in 2017 and longford in 2018. Meath responded afterwards with best performances of the years eg Donegal in 2017 and Tyrone in 2018. Meath played Sligo in 2017 before Donegal game but that along with victory Galway in 2017 , Donegal game was Meaths best performance of 2017.

And McEntee has done this at minor also. In 2012 under McEntee Meaths minor lost demoralising leinster final to Dublin. Meath afterwards defeated a highly fancied Tyrone in quater finals and highly fancied Mayo in semi final. To show how good that Tyrone team was players from that team won under 21 All Ireland title. 5 of the starting 15 for Meath on Sunday was part of that sucessful Meath minor team which is the only leinster team to reach All Ireland final outside Dubs in last 16 years.

So can McEntee Meath team again for 4th time in a row produce an old fashioned gaa backlash after bad defeat or will Clare continue the great work they have done under Collins over last few years. Time will tell. .

Wow Sonny, thanks for all that. Great posts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

I'm sorry here anyone who thinks meath will beat mayo in that group are delusional stats or no stats. They mustered four points in the leinster final. Mayo would beat them. Kerry will beat them and donegal will beat them.

Anyway meath have to negotiate Clare first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

C__MC wrote: »
    I'm sorry here anyone who thinks meath will beat mayo in that group are delusional stats or no stats. They mustered four points in the leinster final. Mayo would beat them.

Well the same guy thinks Mayo were lucky to beat Armagh so he clearly doesn't have a firm grip on reality:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I'm sorry here anyone who thinks meath will beat mayo in that group are delusional stats or no stats. They mustered four points in the leinster final. Mayo would beat them. Kerry will beat them and donegal will beat them.

Meath would be as good as Armagh if not better who could easily have turned Mayo over. Dublin are on a different level to everyone at the moment.

I would expect Mayo to beat Meath but far from the foregone conclusion you make it out to be and of course Meath face a tricky match this afternoon.

Have to disagree, that Dublin game was a freak & they are an incredible team. Why all the hype for Mayo? I guarantee you Meath will beat Mayo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

risteard7 wrote:
    Have to disagree, that Dublin game was a freak & they are an incredible team. Why all the hype for Mayo? I guarantee you Meath will beat Mayo

I'd worry about Clare first :D

Well the same guy thinks Mayo were lucky to beat Armagh so he clearly doesn't have a firm grip on reality:p

So are we comparing Armagh & Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭enricoh

I must have been watching a different mayo armagh game to you. They barely scraped past armagh last week

• Advertisement

The only sides Meath have lost to this year are Donegal & Dublin. If anything I think Tyrone are the biggest dangers yo Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement