Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon 4K Fire Stick back down to £34.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Idbatterim wrote: »
    are these better than a chromecast? they are currently £30 for non 4k one, is that good? thanks

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Amazon-Fire-TV-Stick-2nd-Generation-With-Alexa-Voice-Remote-2019-Model/153613884312?hash=item23c419db98:g:B9YAAOSwopVci44S

just came across that, can use parcel motel. It says US plug though, is that a problem? Surely I can just get an adapter?

Go back a few posts, similar adds on ebay, free post anyway?,adds were taken down a few days later, alot adds lately on ebay like this,
    last month brought a andriod box ,turns out hi jacked account being used, got refund through paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Idbatterim wrote: »
    are these better than a chromecast? they are currently £30 for non 4k one, is that good? thanks

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Amazon-Fire-TV-Stick-2nd-Generation-With-Alexa-Voice-Remote-2019-Model/153613884312?hash=item23c419db98:g:B9YAAOSwopVci44S

just came across that, can use parcel motel. It says US plug though, is that a problem? Surely I can just get an adapter?

Personally I'd just spend the extra tenner and get one from Amazon, the customer support they offer, god forbid something should go wrong is worth it and then some.

Are they better than a chrome cast? That depends what you want to do with it I suppose, think of them as little mini android boxes that you can install many apks onto (Netflix, Plex, IPTV etc) but also have access to Amazon libraries their movies and shows too.

Have never really tried out casting functionality of them, (from a phone etc) but that's more because I've never needed to as I can have YouTube, Netflix and etc direcly on the stick itself.

In my personal opinion, the Chromecast is a great little device, but these are 10 X times better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Just a warning for folks.

I bought a firestick for 15GBP on ebay two days ago. Similar to the link posted above. Got a message the next day from ebay that it was a fraudulent listing and the transaction was cancelled. Got a refund after phoning Paypal.

Anyway, turns out Amazon don't ship the firestick to Ireland. Why not? Do people just use parcel motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭bren2001

I bought a firestick for 15GBP on ebay two days ago. Similar to the link posted above. Got a message the next day from ebay that it was a fraudulent listing and the transaction was cancelled. Got a refund after phoning Paypal.

Anyway, turns out Amazon don't ship the firestick to Ireland. Why not? Do people just use parcel motel?

The battery in it.

Yeah, just use PM or equivalent.

bren2001 wrote: »
    The battery in it.

Yeah, just use PM or equivalent.

I don't think it's because of the batteries, I'd guess it's more to do with licensing.

Surely Amazon send more items to Ireland than just firesticks that have batteries with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Jellyonaplate

Shops like curry’s and Harvey norman pay to be sole sellers in Ireland, use any parcel forwarding company like parcel wizard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

I don’t think you can buy the Firestick 4K in Ireland. They had them in Argos here initially but they were withdrawn very early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Is there a battery in the fire shtick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gussieg

Don't think so, just the batteries supplied for the remote but they re packaged separately. Yes it must be something to do with licensing or tax or it's not worth their while. Bear in mind the Irish market is relatively small for them.

Cerco wrote: »
    I don’t think you can buy the Firestick 4K in Ireland. They had them in Argos here initially but they were withdrawn very early on.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-with-alexa-voice-remote-10188019-pdt.html

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Akula

Anybody get the new RTÉ player working on these? Wasn’t in the store last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bromley52

Akula wrote: »
    Anybody get the new RTÉ player working on these? Wasn’t in the store last time I looked.

Yep Side load the May/Jun version of the app. You will also need to install the Mouse toggle app to use it. Use an android app (apps2fire) on your phone to install them.

Where can I get the apk?

I have it working on Nvidia shield so was hoping that version would work but can’t find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Haz17

bromley52 wrote: »
    Yep Side load the May/Jun version of the app. You will also need to install the Mouse toggle app to use it. Use an android app (apps2fire) on your phone to install them.

Which mouse toggle app would you recommend?

Haz17 wrote: »
    Which mouse toggle app would you recommend?

I forgot, I followed these steps to install the mouse app.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Akula wrote: »
    Where can I get the apk?

I have it working on Nvidia shield so was hoping that version would work but can’t find it.

use Downloader - some good youtube videos on how to use

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    use Downloader - some good youtube videos on how to use

I’m familiar with downloaded. But I still need a url for apk though no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Lads haven’t a clue of all this stuff ... looking for a device that will broadcast a good range of channels and will still work good with mediocre broadband.... would the fire stick be good for this or is there better? Can u upload Mobdro on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

you would need broadband speed of 10mbps to be able to access Firestick 4k services including Mobdro

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

LillySV wrote: »
    Lads haven’t a clue of all this stuff ... looking for a device that will broadcast a good range of channels and will still work good with mediocre broadband.... would the fire stick be good for this or is there better? Can u upload Mobdro on this?

It's handy enough to be honest. Follow the steps online to "modify" the firestick the way you want. You can then use legal apps such as TV Player (bbc1, bbc2, ch4, ch5), BBC Iplayer, ITV Hub and others to watch TV free, assuming you're in the right region to be able to watch them. Mobdro not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Can I play my portable harddrive off of this?

Capajoma wrote: »

I'm guessing you could through something like Plex, someone with more Tecno know how than me might be better positioned to answer though.

**Paging the high horse brigade**:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Capajoma wrote: »

Yes, it supports usb storage using an OTG usb cable but it also needs to get power over the same usb so I'd say you'd probably be better with something different like a Xiaomi Mibox or similar. As already said you can plug the drive into your pc and share the content to it using Plex, Emby or Kodi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Folks Express Vpn seems to be the one to get iplayer working & use us netflix as well is it?

I have torguard on samsung but Iplayer doesnt work with it,even the browser. so that means it wouldnt work on my Fire stick either.(keeps detecting i am not in uk)

So is that a thumbs up for Express vpn before i get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Folks Express Vpn seems to be the one to get iplayer working & use us netflix as well is it?

I have torguard on samsung but Iplayer doesnt work with it,even the browser. so that means it wouldnt work on my Fire stick either.(keeps detecting i am not in uk)

So is that a thumbs up for Express vpn before i get it.

+1 for expressvpn. No issues with iplayer. Not sure re us netflix

Getflix is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

tonc76 wrote: »
    +1 for expressvpn. No issues with iplayer. Not sure re us netflix

Thanks

No one really uses us netflix nowdays only now & again.

• Advertisement

Thanks

No one really uses us netflix nowdays only now & again.

If you are not using Netflix what do you use?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement