Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

Controlling the few plants that can so easily cause an accident in your garden will have negligible effect on biodiversity.
    tromtipp wrote: »
    Or 105, depending on your genes and your luck. Biodiversity supports human health as well as planetary health.
    I don't think you got the point I was making about average life-spans.
    The huge number of people who made it to the grand old age of "died in childbirth" would also be safe from hogweed.

All I'm saying is that it's silly to base your actions on nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Gardens are important for biodiversity, and concern for that isn't based on nostalgia. Removing every minor risk from the world is impossible. Herbicides can be useful for persistent deep rooted weeds like bindweed or ground elder, but using them on something like hogweed with a single taproot is overkill.

Life expectancy at birth was lower in the past mainly because so many died in infancy - once you made it to adulthood you were likely to live into your 70s, despite the risks in childbirth, battle, and infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

Gardens are important for biodiversity, and concern for that isn't based on nostalgia. Removing every minor risk from the world is impossible. Herbicides can be useful for persistent deep rooted weeds like bindweed or ground elder, but using them on something like hogweed with a single taproot is overkill.
    Biodiversity is extremely important, and to suggest for a single second that
    this would make any appreciable difference is disingenuous.
    Life expectancy at birth was lower in the past mainly because so many died in infancy - once you made it to adulthood you were likely to live into your 70s, despite the risks in childbirth, battle, and infection.

Differences made by a gradual improvements in standards. What was an acceptable and/or unavoidable risk at the time is something totally different to now. People put up with things because they had no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bill Hook

Plenty of hogweed here and it gets strimmed along with everything else. Wear a long sleeved shirt, trousers, gloves and the face protection thing and exercise a bit more caution around hogweed than other vegetation and you should be OK. Had an experience with bad burns from fig tree sap a few years ago in France but they cleared up and left no permanent damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My daughter was strimming wearing a long-sleeved high neck shirt and a face mask and some of the sap managed to get to her neck between the shirt collar and the mask, she ended up needing medication and it took weeks for the scars to fade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

Hello all. Do any of you know what this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Sitric wrote: »
    Hello all. Do any of you know what this is?

Looks like Rocket that has gone to seed

MacDanger wrote: »
    Looks like Rocket that has gone to seed

Thanks very much, I had never seen it before. Petals remind me of moth wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Would anyone know what this tree is please?
    I think it might be a sweet chestnut, but the leaves are a bit soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Hickory/Wingnut family if anyone wants to look them up.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

No not a Sweet Chestnut. Looks a lot like a Caucasian Wingnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Hi, yes I looked it up.
    It’s a caucasion wing nut. It is beautiful at the moment with the very long catkins.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Sitric wrote: »
    Thanks very much, I had never seen it before. Petals remind me of moth wings.
    Never thought of that and I have them in my garden for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hi all,
    pretty new to gardening, and have a few questions if thats OK? Over the last few years I planted some appletrees, but as I was away a lot, they did not get the attention they needed. Now some of them have a good crop of apples already formed, while others ( the majority) nothing, even the ones that had flowers earlier on. Not much I can do this year, I suppose, but for next year, some advice would be appreciated.
    And one more thing, I also have some cherry bushs which have deleloped a wart like growth on its leaves, as can be seen in the pic. Some advice please on what it is, and how to treat it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Welcome jmreire. :)

First of all, those are not cherry leaves. Second, those are galls, they can be caused by a lot of different things, from insects to viruses, how you treat them depends on the cause.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gall

I'm afraid I can't help you with your apple trees, but if you post some pictures someone else might be able to.

That looks more like a current bush, and the red blisters are quite common, I think they are caused by aphids but they are not particularly harmful to the bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Macker

Got this in the post ,it lost its label

My first thought would be Heuchera - Coral Bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Macker

looksee wrote: »
    My first thought would be Heuchera - Coral Bells.

could be but as Ive no flowers yet and there seems to be lots of varieties its hard to tell but thanks

There is one that sounds like a dessert, it might be that :D I'll see if I can find it.

Edit - I had no idea how many heucheras have edible sounding names! I have no idea tbh, though they are one plant that you would identify more readily from the leaves than from the flowers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

looksee wrote: »
    Several teasels have introduced themselves onto a very inhospitable bank of no soil beyond sandy shale, and in complete shade from the house. I am waiting with some eagerness to be sure that's what they are (I'm pretty sure, the leaves are exactly right and they do the water-pool thing which is very intriguing) and I will add them to the fairly blank area on the bio map.

Teasel is going strong in the garden. It must be 6feet high at this stage and has a good few flower heads waiting to bloom. It's an impressive yoke :)

My ones in the bank have suddenly shot up over 6 ft with lots of flower heads but a sparser amount of leaves. Another group up the garden in much better soil are lush with masses of leaves and about the same amount of flowers as the others. That lot are probably taller, must measure them. Also a Verbascum/Mullein has introduced itself in a quite unsuitable bank and is going well, while it hasn't started to go up yet, it has huge furry leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Teasel is going strong in the garden. It must be 6feet high at this stage and has a good few flower heads waiting to bloom. It's an impressive yoke :)

Leave as many as you can over the winter as its great to see them with Goldfinches feeding on the seed heads.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Hi, I planted a little bee friendly area, seems to be a hit, I've never seen so many bees. Some of the seeds were random, can anyone identify these two?
    Is the first a type of corn flower?

Cornflower, lavender, candytuft. Very pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Hi,

Wondering can anyone help me ID this , I have a few in my front garden. Some appear to be doing well, others not so well even though they're in the same spot. Not particular fast growing by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Any ideas what this is?

Greater bird's-foot trefoil, Lotus pedunculatus http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=292&Wildflower=Bird%27s-foot-trefoil,%20Greater

It won't do the other plants any harm, and it will support local wildlife - let it die back in the winter and it should return next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Can anyone tell me what this is? It’s taking over the whole garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looks like Cleavers (stickyback we always called it) growing over a fushsia

Advertisement