Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

bri007 wrote: »
    Some run we are on now... hopefully new people get on board and we continue this rise :)

Wonder what’s the reasoning behind this bull run

I'm not sure what's driving Bitcoin. With BSV, some are hedging/speculating on the possibility that CSW is satoshi (on the basis of the court docs he just filed).

If that clown is satoshi (and the evidence is there that he's not), I'd walk away from crypto for good!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Holy ****

Trash I bought recently is up 86% in one hour. Dash has just soared over 100 euros. Very bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I'm not sure what's driving Bitcoin. With BSV, some are hedging/speculating on the possibility that CSW is satoshi (on the basis of the court docs he just filed).

If that clown is satoshi (and the evidence is there that he's not), I'd walk away from crypto for good!

https://coingeek.com/why-we-think-craig-wright-is-satoshi-and-why-that-matters/

Why we think Craig Wright is Satoshi and why that matters

https://coingeek.com/what-is-the-tulip-trust

A lot there.

I hadn't heard about this mined million before...so he has (potentially) near 20 Billion $ when you include the original million coins never moved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

BSV market cap and 24 hour volume are now equal.

I don't know how people are buying into the scam so blindly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Bob24 wrote: »
    Btw, is anyone on the thread buying at the moment?

My view would be to try not to FOMO and stay on the sideline until some sort of correction/consolidation takes place and the dust settles; anyone thinks differently?

Still waiting for the <$5k loads of people were anticipating...probably never see it again now after all this haha, but yeah definitely better to not impulsively dive in during little spikes like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

BSV market cap and 24 hour volume are now equal.

I don't know how people are buying into the scam so blindly.

They’re betting there will be a greater fool to sell it to at a higher price I guess. It won’t end well but whoever was there early and smart enough to cash in their gains will be happy.

FFVII wrote: »
    https://coingeek.com/why-we-think-craig-wright-is-satoshi-and-why-that-matters/

Why we think Craig Wright is Satoshi and why that matters

https://coingeek.com/what-is-the-tulip-trust

A lot there.

I hadn't heard about this mined million before...so he has (potentially) near 20 Billion $ when you include the original million coins never moved?

I am not very familiar with the matter, but just a note that the site you linked seems to only cover BSV and has an “how to buy BSV” link on its header. So I wouldn’t take it as an impartial source - they have clearly picked a side. Doesn’t mean what they are publishing is wrong, but I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Some coins are popping, going up 30%, 40% or 50%. Recently Dash, Zcash, Aelf, Golum, causes people to second guess other coins. So far gains are sticking for now, pretty cool. Incredible how fast the market can react, and this is with low public interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

$10k BTC will be a big milestone. Media attention will flow from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Bob24 wrote: »
    The Ledger is purely for storage though

technically, you are not actually storing the crypto on the Ledger

I've heard Coinbase is notorious for going down during big market moves, whether its just a ploy or they just get overloaded, who knows

I'm using Kraken and have yet to have an issue with them during the big moves in the market and the funding/withdrawal functions are very easy to use

• Advertisement

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    $10k BTC will be a big milestone. Media attention will flow from there.

It was already on CNBC yesterday

Technically nobody stores crypto anywhere, it stays on the chain.

Always better to have your own keys however. It takes 10 minutes to set up and get used to having a wallet yet millions of BTC are still kept on exchanges. Not for me.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    technically, you are not actually storing the crypto on the Ledger

Yes, at the end of the day what matters is your seed-phrase (i.e. keys) and the device itself is disposable. So if the seed phase is treated appropriately it is definitely safer than an exchange, but this there is an educational part for people to understand how critical the seed phrase is.

This is why I always give a word of caution when people suggest Ledger/Trezor as a solution to beginners who don’t have a clear understanding of how it works, and without explaining.

I suspect there are loads of people who have a hardware wallet with their seed phase written on a piece of paper at home and feel safe, without realising their are not handling their keys in a secure way at all.

It would be interesting to know how many bitcoins have been lost/stolen due to personal keys mismanagement v.s. how many have been lost/stolen due to exchange hacks. But the first aspect tends to be overlooked as by nature it is difficult to measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,926 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Lol - the pass phrase written on the piece of paper at home is the safe bit. I think it unlikely there has been a single instance of someone having their home burgled a piece of paper being found with a pass phrase on it and them loosing crypto as a result.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Lol - the pass phrase written on the piece of paper at home is the safe bit. I think it unlikely there has been a single instance of someone having their home burgled a piece of paper being found with a pass phrase on it and them loosing crypto as a result.

You never know what a geeky burglar or (more likely) an ill-intended person aware of what you are holding can do.

But probably the more likely issue, there are numerous reports of people losing coins because of fire damage/water damage/degradation/misplacement of the piece of paper their keys were written on. These things just happen. And 10-20% of bitcoins are lost forever due to keys mismanagement (which is possibly more than coins lost due to exchange hacks)
    This of course doesn’t mean self storage isn’t safer than exchanges (it is safer when done right) but it shows that many people don’t do it right, hence the educational bit I was saying is required before telling people to go for a hardware wallet.

the hardware wallets are a bit to get the head round
    I've had to give my missus a crash course on what to do if something ever happened to me and she needed to get access to the wallet/exchanges etc

I've spoken to a few people and none of them have shared that info...its a risk not worth taking

the hardware wallets are a bit to get the head round
    I've had to give my missus a crash course on what to do if something ever happened to me and she needed to get access to the wallet/exchanges etc

I've spoken to a few people and none of them have shared that info...its a risk not worth taking

This was something I was only thinking about recently myself, so grim!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/3/18209586/cryptocurrency-quadrigacx-loses-190-million-founder-died-password

Same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 65,126 ✭✭✭✭unkel

This is also something that has been on my mind of late. Need to get this sorted.

Getting close to the point when 24 hour markers will start to go red after the madness, will be interesting to see if this all holds

• Advertisement

it is a grim thought, but it was herself who brought it up first

but when I sat down and realised all the barriers that are there to get into these exchanges with 2Fa, passwords, usernames, etc, it suddenly dawned on me that she wouldnt have a clue

forget about the passwords, etc, she hadnt even got the names of the sites that the exchanges are being used

I have a mate who has a stock/crypto portfolio exceeding half mil and he only has the details...he does a lot of international travel and I said to him about bringing up with the wife and he looks as if to say :rolleyes:

I have a mate who has a stock/crypto portfolio exceeding half mil and he only has the details...he does a lot of international travel and I said to him about bringing up with the wife and he looks as if to say :rolleyes:

Whatever is on crypto exchanges or with a stock broker should be less of a problem - I presume she just needs to know it exists and if the worst was to happen she would be able to gain access to it with some paperwork/legalities.

But self stored keys are another story. My recommendation is to arrange for someone (wife/etc) to have the capability to retrieve the keys shall something happen, with some type of 2FA (physical access to something the person will only get if something happens, combined to a piece of information only they know and which is less sensitive than the whole key).

That could be a seed phrase with an extension word, and then storing the seed phrase without the extension word with a solicitor and instructions this needs to be provided to the wife only in case of death of the husband (of course concealing the seed phrase and without really telling the solicitor what it is they have custody of). And then giving the wife the extension word with instruction on how to use it with a seed phrase, and telling her it has been arranged for the rest of the information to come to her shall something happen.

Or there might be better ways, but this is what comes to mind for now.

Anyway - glad I apparently got a few people to think about keys management - that was the goal of my previous posts :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Wasn't there a story about a big crypto exchange or investment company that only one guy had the password for their account and he died.

Tell missus where wallet is
    Tell her where keys are
    Show her how to transfer to an exchange with her own account

She runs off into the sunset

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Crypto bros pretending they have wives and girlfriends :pac:

Wasn't there a story about a big crypto exchange or investment company that only one guy had the password for their account and he died.

QuadrigaCX - $190 mm worth (at the time) permanently gone

Tell missus where wallet is
    Tell her where keys are
    Show her how to transfer to an exchange with her own account

She runs off into the sunset

She'd probably pick up my USB drive thinking it was the Ledger
    They look very similar

She'd probably pick up my USB drive thinking it was the Ledger
    They look very similar

Speaking of USB's, they are a handy offline way of keeping a single word document with your keys on it.

I bought 3 on wish for €1, going to do it shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Speaking of USB's, they are a handy offline way of keeping a single word document with your keys on it.

I bought 3 on wish for €1, going to do it shortly.

Definitely wouldn't be trusting something like that bought off Wish with such information, if you're going to do that then just spend the extra few quid to get some from a shop here. Even then I hope that's not the only way you'd try to have access to the seeds, obviously it's very unlikely but imagine if all 3 failed

• Advertisement

Arrival wrote: »
    Definitely wouldn't be trusting something like that bought off Wish with such information, if you're going to do that then just spend the extra few quid to get some from a shop here. Even then I hope that's not the only way you'd try to have access to the seeds, obviously it's very unlikely but imagine if all 3 failed

It's plan C, they likely won't fail but good to know there's multiple offline digital backups of the keys.

Know them off by heart anyway !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement