Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else enjoy being single?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's mostly a one-way street to be fair, T.

Its baffling. :confused:
    I've had quite a few negative experiences, in relationships and with men in general, yet I still wouldn't write all men off because of the behaviour of a few.

I've been cheated on (more than once), lied to, disrespected, assaulted (granted, that didn't happen in Ireland) and spoken to like I'm some sort of sexual commodity (my most recent online dating experience) yet I still wouldn't tar all men with the one brush because of it.

The negative, bitter, resentful attitude here is something to behold.
    If its that blatant online, I can only imagine the signals these men are giving to women IRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Augeo wrote: »
    There's bucketloads of seriously unattractive people in relationships.

Yeah, but there's the difference between knowing that and working with what you have, compared to someone who is unattractive waiting for that person who is completely out of his/her league, when they would be very happy with someone of their own status/level. Then they go and write it off as "I'm happy being single, loads of time for me!" You see this quite a bit.

They just don't want to admit it to themselves.

I think both men and women are guilty of this, women probably more so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

dd973 wrote: »
    Couply people have always given me the impression that they'd be married or hooked up with someone else if they weren't with their current partner, there's loads of these types especially among the baby boomer generation, married at 22, divorced at 45, hook up again, stepkids, split up again, meet someone else then end up back with the person they married at 22.

It's as if being in marriages/relationships is inbuilt into their personality and DNA whilst with other people, myself included, I could quite conceivably be single for 300 years and this soulmate never turns up no matter how many pubs or public places you walk into, statistically there probably is 'someone for everybody' but that's no use if they're living in Chile or New Zealand and you're never going to meet them!

I'm definitely a couply person, not that I could just swap my partner out for another willy nilly or that I'd rather be in a bad relationship than be single, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...not that I could just swap my partner out for another willy...

FNAAAARGGH!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

dd973 wrote: »
    Couply people have always given me the impression that they'd be married or hooked up with someone else if they weren't with their current partner, there's loads of these types especially among the baby boomer generation, married at 22, divorced at 45, hook up again, stepkids, split up again, meet someone else then end up back with the person they married at 22.

Where in Ireland was this commonplace? Ahascragh?

They were too busy in most of Ireland going to Novenas to be part of the baby boomer generation...

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's mostly a one-way street to be fair, T.

Not in my experience. Tiny handful of both on both sides is all really ever see - but a lot of that "butt hurt" from them. But I admit I have never kept stats on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Not in my experience. Tiny handful of both on both sides is all really ever see - but a lot of that "butt hurt" from them. But I admit I have never kept stats on it.
    Here though it's definitely one-way. Women do not start posting on threads about how awful men are. Now we certainly do defend ourselves but provocation and defence are different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

When I broke up with my vile and contemptible ex-wife I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed the single life. It was like taking off a pair of shoes that were two sizes too small - that freedom. In the pub most Friday and Saturday nights, sinking the pints, up to me conkers in clunge most weekends. My ideal relationship started around 2.30am in the morning, and finished the next morning by 11.30 at the latest. I suppose it helps that I'm relatively attractive for my age, and extremely outgoing almost to the point of arrogance. Chicks tend to like me.

I think I'm looking for something a bit more permanent at this stage. My preference is for birds in their mid to late 30's, maybe 41 to 42 max. But that's a dangerous game to be playing, as the biological alarm clock is very loud in most of them. I'm 54 and the thoughts of becoming a father again fill me with horror - 2 of the bastards is more than enough. Might get the snip just to be sure.

By god, I think we have our new Aongus Von B!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

By god, I think we have our new Aongus Von B!

That's like comparing Geordie Shore to Made in Chelsea.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Use of the term "Patriarchy"

Classic!

Even the courts overwhelmingly side with the woman, the system is still mysogonist :rolleyes:

Feminists loose even when they win

Would ya not even give her some credit for making a lot of sense in that post. The point about judges is that being mostly middle-aged and older, they lived in the time of the civil service marriage ban and whatnot so some may still hold old-fashioned views about the family.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

No they're not fighting it but I guess that's because it's a men's rights issue (and yes I know feminists now claim to fight for any gender equality but we all know that's not true).

But you're in a relationship or marriage as far as I know? Which makes your posts kinda strange. I mean yes there are certainly awful inequalities against men in family law (And elsewhere) but it seems to be very personal for you

Depends. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. A person's own perspective isn't always the one everyone has.

You most certainly have not.
    When have I been disrespectful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

As a related aside I find that word clunge to be gruesome sounding. I don't get out much so I read it on boards for the first time, and I hope it is not commonly used. C*nt is a much nicer word, frankly. Clunge. Ughhhh. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Zorya wrote: »
    As a related aside I find that word clunge to be gruesome sounding. I don't get out much so I read it on boards for the first time, and I hope it is not commonly used. C*nt is a much nicer word, frankly. Clunge. Ughhhh. :(

I wouldn't say it's used too much irl even by the people who use it here, you look A LOT more insane going into little x rated Walter Mitty spiels when you've to look people in the eye...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not sure I ever thought I'd see someone describing c*nt as a nice word.
    The other one originated largely from the inbetweeners I think and anyone using it in real life probably isn't that different (in personality or succes with the ladies) than Jay.

Not sure I ever thought I'd see someone describing c*nt as a nice word.
    The other one originated largely from the inbetweeners I think and anyone using it in real life probably isn't that different (in personality or succes with the ladies) than Jay.

Can't link on this excuse for a phone but somewhere online there is a very long and interesting essay on the word c*nt, that looks at possible etymologies. Including for example the Gaelic cuan, meaning harbour. And many other lovely trails. The word is very old and ripe for rehabilitation. Anyways back to the enjoyment etc.

That's like comparing Geordie Shore to Made in Chelsea.

It’s more the WUM-practiced story-self-praise aspect I’m talking about. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Inbetweeners Jay legacy stuff. I'm not even sure it existed before inbetweeners. I'd imagine anyway using it not as some, fairly dated by now, Jay joking reference is an absolute retard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRSF0eUIq6Q

C*nt is an insult.

"Look dear, I got a Brazilian"...."Oh my, your c*nt looks bloody marvellous".

"doctor, there's something wrong with my c*nt"

doesn't really work, won't really work in any context.

If you're interested Matthew Hunt wrote about it. Maybe because of a lifetime of rhyming slags. It's just me, I don't mind it.

Clunge and Johnny’s tale in general reminds me of:

6-AB7-D99-A-7471-4-E6-D-894-A-723855-DFB777.jpg

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Recently started seeing someone but early days and he's the other side of the country for a couple of weeks so it's great because it's like easing myself back into it.

Last LTR ended about 5 years ago and afterwards I loved been single, was a bat like a bat out of hell and in hindsight it should have ended a lot sooner.

Nothing for a while, then lots of dating all sorts - as in anyone who asked really, my type or not, purely cos it was fun & different, even if I knew it was unlikely to go anywhere, then FWB for a while which was fun too, then back to casual dating.....

Somewhere along the way the novelty wore off and I decided that I would prefer to be single and not seeing anyone unless there was a chance it might go somewhere rather than dating just for fun.

Who knows what happens next but it's nice to be really physically attracted to someone again and attracted to their personality too - rare to find both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

44F single my entire life. It just never happened for me. Would like to have a relationship so I could actually KNOW whether I'd prefer being single or coupled up. I think it's hard to tell when you haven't experienced both sides.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    44F single my entire life. It just never happened for me. Would like to have a relationship so I could actually KNOW whether I'd prefer being single or coupled up. I think it's hard to tell when you haven't experienced both sides.

32. I'm happy enough in my own company but I wouldn't say I'm committed to being single at all. Just making the best of it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Completely different for a man to choose to be single than a woman.
    A man can arse around until his fourties then settle for any woman once she is capable of conceiving.
    Women on the other hand miss the boat after 35 childbirth is dangerous and the woman is actually referred to as a geriatric mother.

Clunge and Johnny’s tale in general reminds me of:

6-AB7-D99-A-7471-4-E6-D-894-A-723855-DFB777.jpg

:pac:

I'll have to look that up, ODB, I rarely watch telly so I haven't a clue who that is. Oh dear. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A man can arse around until his fourties then settle for any woman once she is capable of conceiving.
    Women on the other hand miss the boat after 35 childbirth is dangerous and the woman is actually referred to as a geriatric mother.

Would you mind taking your weird anti-women soapbox somewhere else please? I was hoping the thread wouldn't turn into a sh*tshow.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Would you mind taking your weird anti-women soapbox somewhere else please? I was hoping the thread wouldn't turn into a sh*tshow.

Sorry I'm not anti woman at all.
    I'm pointing out biological differences where I feel women get the short end of the stick.
    Trying to balance career etc and having children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You’re a charmer Charles. A charmer.

Actually we men have to worry about a decrease in sperm quality as we age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I'm willing to wager Charlie isn't a day over 20. Brings to mind the empty posturing of a frustrated undergraduate.

I think you're crediting him with to high a level of education. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Sorry I'm not anti woman at all.
    I'm pointing out biological differences where I feel women get the short end of the stick.
    Trying to balance career etc and having children

Some women didn't 'miss the boat' just because we're trying to climb the corporate ladder. Some of us just failed to attract a mate (any mate) during the most productively fertile years of our life. It happens.

• Advertisement

You’re a charmer Charles. A charmer.

Actually we men have to worry about a decrease in sperm quality as we age.

Mrs ingles had our last child at 36.
    On her file was stamped geriatric mother.
    Needless to say she wasn't happy

Advertisement