Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

zell12 wrote: »
    Saw two massive Sports Direct trucks on Headford Rd earlier

I wonder if they have been able to remove all the Debenhams stock from the unit yet, the picket has not been there for a while not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I wonder if they have been able to remove all the Debenhams stock from the unit yet, the picket has not been there for a while not.

They have as the shop fit of SD/Heaton's is well underway. Fixtures and wall poles in as well as some graphics in place.

Those were removed following an agreement with the unions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Dunnes Knocknacarra are getting a make over they have started with new frozen lanes
    IdL9Dn0.jpg

DLWMZ4X.jpg

m17 wrote: »
    Dunnes Knocknacarra are getting a make over they have started with new frozen lanes
    IdL9Dn0.jpg

DLWMZ4X.jpg

No harm, it's an awful shop to shop in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

What makes it awful? My only complaint, same in Harvey Norman next door, is these buildings are built like a Faraday Cage so there isn't a hope your phone will work in the shop. Only other complaint was the moronic setup in the carpark but they've largely addressed that. At the roundabout in front if you head towards Aviva there's another ramp down behind Petstop that will take you down directly.

What makes it awful? My only complaint, same in Harvey Norman next door, is these buildings are built like a Faraday Cage so there isn't a hope your phone will work in the shop. Only other complaint was the moronic setup in the carpark but they've largely addressed that. At the roundabout in front if you head towards Aviva there's another ramp down behind Petstop that will take you down directly.
    The absolutely non sensical layout of the grocery. Sequential links make no sense whatsoever. You go from ambient to fresh back to ambient. Flows all wrong. It isn't a patch on Briarhill.

The absolutely non sensical layout of the grocery. Sequential links make no sense whatsoever. You go from ambient to fresh back to ambient. Flows all wrong. It isn't a patch on Briarhill.

Give them a chance, this remake will take up to eight months, and they are going for the BriarHill look, with a branded Deli, Sheridans cheese etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Ceannt Station development gets go ahead
    i0IOrc7.jpg

Give them a chance, this remake will take up to eight months, and they are going for the BriarHill look, with a branded Deli, Sheridans cheese etc.

How do you mean give them a chance? I find it an awful shop to shop in now, for the above reasons. A refurbishment can only help this I'd hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What angle is that image supposed to from?

How do you mean give them a chance? I find it an awful shop to shop in now, for the above reasons. A refurbishment can only help this I'd hope.

Maybe it's because i go there more often, but i've always found it easier to find stuff in Knocknacarra that Briarhill or Terryland or westside, well at least before this week when they started to more everything around...

Maybe it's because i go there more often, but i've always found it easier to find stuff in Knocknacarra that Briarhill or Terryland or westside, well at least before this week when they started to more everything around...

Suppose its what we are used to. I just find Westside and Knocknacarra to be the same.

Flows all wrong.

Shop flows are often intentionally awkward to make you walk past other products that you didn't come in to buy. That's why milk and bread are generally at either ends of the back of a shop.

Shop flows are often intentionally awkward to make you walk past other products that you didn't come in to buy. That's why milk and bread are generally at either ends of the back of a shop.

I've many years of previous experience in the industry. Lots of it spent on sequential links/layouts etc. That really isn't the way things are done. Why would ever have a milk fridge next to a bakery, it wouldn't make sense. Its not done in some conspiratorial fashion.

I'm not going to derail this thread on it though, feel free to pm if you want to (please don't as I really do not have the time :) ).

Not conspiratorial, just good business to take the customer on the longest possible path through the shop and drop the music tempo while you're at it so they take their time.

Aldi/Lidl are like a lobster pot, once you're through the double automatic doors there's no going back until you exit around through the narrow tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I noticed that signage for the chilled foods was nowhere near the chiller, so I think it's still a work in progress and it will flow more naturally once that has been completed.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Pizza Max in Salthill having the finishing touches added to it.
    Assuming they are aiming for opening over or for the bank holiday.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Bredabe wrote: »
    Pizza Max in Salthill having the finishing touches added to it.
    Assuming they are aiming for opening over or for the bank holiday.

Any connection to the Pizza M crew who are leaving Joyce's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

westgolf wrote: »
    Any connection to the Pizza M crew who are leaving Joyce's ?

I hadn't heard that yet. The by the slice could be very good, but their coffee, bread, and sandwiches didn't entice me back. However, my daughter will be devastated as she often ruins her dinner getting a slice there.

Any idea are they removing the evens? More likely Pat will get the deli staff to take over and serve up pre-made pizzas to save a few quid.

• Advertisement

I hadn't heard that yet. The by the slice could be very good, but their coffee, bread, and sandwiches didn't entice me back. However, my daughter will be devastated as she often ruins her dinner getting a slice there.

Any idea are they removing the evens? More likely Pat will get the deli staff to take over and serve up pre-made pizzas to save a few quid.

They pulled out of Athenry at the beginning of the first lockdown. Pat reopened the pizza counter a few months later with Joyces staff and added donuts there too. It does huge trade now. The only connection with the previous crowd is they still supply the dough for the pizza & bread. The rest is all joyces.

They dropped the price slightly and the staff have been given free reign in terms of the pizza toppings so even something like a Hawaiian type is fantastic with shredded ham, fresh pineapple and so.much.mozzarella

This is during the week though. Weekends are staffed by college kids so the quality drops but midweek theres a Brazilian (or Italian, not sure) lady there who does really class stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 22 daniel_h

They pulled out of Athenry at the beginning of the first lockdown. Pat reopened the pizza counter a few months later with Joyces staff and added donuts there too. It does huge trade now. The only connection with the previous crowd is they still supply the dough for the pizza & bread. The rest is all joyces.

They dropped the price slightly and the staff have been given free reign in terms of the pizza toppings so even something like a Hawaiian type is fantastic with shredded ham, fresh pineapple and so.much.mozzarella

This is during the week though. Weekends are staffed by college kids so the quality drops but midweek theres a Brazilian (or Italian, not sure) lady there who does really class stuff

I had noticed they were closed for a while alright but since they are back I have not noticed a difference in the pizza at all... Same dough and same oven I guess. The lady you are referring to is very helpful and nice alright.

The one in Headford has been closed for a long, long time and left idle.

I think when it was under the original operators the offerings weren't particularly great and they were more pricey.

Its possible that the reason the others are left idle since they pulled out is just down to staffing. I know he is hemorrhaging staff in Athenry at the moment due to poor pay & conditions. He's lost over 35 years of experience (7 staff) in the Deli counter/kitchen over the last few months.

On another note, a new cafe opened in Athenry, Lotso Coffee, on the main street across from Mortgage Options. Looked like they were still doing work on the place when I got my coffee today.

Another thread mentioned a new bakery up near the Arch too so I'll have to sample that tomorrow, life is so hard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Green light for Blackrock coffee truck

An Bord Pleanála has given the go ahead for the return of the a popular truck selling snacks and hot drinks at Blackrock by the Salthill Promenade.

McHugh Property Holding Ltd appealed to the board for the retention of their modified vehicle selling beverages and snacks at next to the derelict cottage at Blackrock after the city council refused to allow it to stay.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Galway City Council has confirmed that William Street West and the Small Crane in Galway City will be closed to traffic from next week to allow for outdoor dining.

But while the Small Crane and William Street West will be closed in the evenings to vehicles, Dominick Street Lower and Upper is not included in the pedestrianisation plans.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just noticed Electronic Partners Ireland have opened on Eyre Square where Prestige used to be. Surprised they got away with the tacky signage plastered above Matt O'Flaherty's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,952 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just noticed Electronic Partners Ireland have opened on Eyre Square where Prestige used to be. Surprised they got away with the tacky signage plastered above Matt O'Flaherty's.

They moved from Eglinton Street a couple of months back.

Happy to see Alain allowed to continue. Been looking forward to sampling their wares.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,814 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moved from Eglinton Street.

Supermacs Plaza ain't known for it's good taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

How do you know planning permission was obtained. Such a sign is contrary to the Galway City Development Plan

Advertisement