Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Surely they would sell at least that a day? 134 people is nothing in a busy city location?

That's to cover the rent, then there's wages and a whole other assortment of charges that have to be dealt with.

Chopped never seemed particularly busy, at least not to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If it's that much to rent a kiosk, how much would would one of the retail units cost? Crazy.

Retail rents in Galway are higher than Edinburgh, Manchester or Birmingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Not to mention Council rates which is nothing short of exorbitant for this area.
    This is what is killing business and driving up retail prices imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FoodLover2020

eyresquare wrote: »
    Shake Dog opening soon on Prospect Hill, across from the council. The spot has been empty a good few years . The last thing that was there was a Londis nearly 10 years ago I think.

50% OFF not sure how long for

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

50% OFF not sure how long for

probably until it closes in 2/3 months time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

gammygils wrote: »
    Not to mention Council rates which is nothing short of exorbitant for this area.
    This is what is killing business and driving up retail prices imo

Which services do you think the council should not provide, in order to lower rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Which services do you think the council should not provide, in order to lower rates?

I'd be more inclined to ask, are the services they do provide value for money?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is about local businesses opening or closing.
    That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Is the Fisherman Restaurant in Salthill closed, I passed yesterday and looks to be empty of furniture etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Is the Fisherman Restaurant in Salthill closed, I passed yesterday and looks to be empty of furniture etc.

The Fisherman closed probably over a year ago. It was replaced by the Full Duck Salthill, which now appears to be closed too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The Fisherman closed probably over a year ago. It was replaced by the Full Duck Salthill, which now appears to be closed too.

It's for sale: https://touch.daft.ie/commercial-property-for-sale/the-promenade-salthill-co-galway/1468229

They picked a bad day for taking photos, looks like the end of the world out the window.

Would have done no harm to clean the kitchen floor as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Psychlops

pjohnson wrote: »
    It makes you wonder how some of the shops in there are lasting at all.

Treasure Chest springs to mind, was in there in December & the prices on clothing nearly outdid Brown Thomas!

Cara Pharmacy in Edward Square have a sign up saying they're closing on 31 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cara Pharmacy in Edward Square have a sign up saying they're closing on 31 January.

That the the old HMV shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Subway Westside permanently closed since Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

pjohnson wrote: »
    That the the old HMV shop?

Yep. Staff were given notice last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yep. Staff were given notice last weekend.

Dragons Den my hole :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Is that the one beside Dominos, thought i saw it open over the christmas.

Seperatly, there were lights on inside the old Happy Days newsagent in Galways Shopping centre this evening, and someone going in and out. Not sure if this means anything.

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Dragons Den my hole :)

It leaves an interesting low prescription cost gap in town , with O'Beirnes having moved to Salthill.

Anyone know who the next best value one is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It leaves an interesting low prescription cost gap in town , with O'Beirnes having moved to Salthill.

Anyone know who the next best value one is?

I heard that the one near Aldi Westside is good but I haven't tried it.
    You can ask a taxi to pick up a prescription in O'Beirnes, ads 7 euro or so but still is worth it if you're making a big saving on the drugs and dont have a car.

I drive by that way sometimes at lunch and normally go to subway when I do. I called there twice recently to find it closed. Second time there was signs up saying closed for renovations? Is it definitely permanently closed? That part of town is really lacking places to get lunch as it is without subway closing down.

I drive by that way sometimes at lunch and normally go to subway when I do. I called there twice recently to find it closed. Second time there was signs up saying closed for renovations? Is it definitely permanently closed? That part of town is really lacking places to get lunch as it is without subway closing down.

Subway is being done up should be open again in the next few weeks, from a friend that works there

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Subway is being done up should be open again in the next few weeks, from a friend that works there

That’s good to hear, was a handy one to pop into for parking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I asked them on their FB page if it was permanent and was told it was.
    ME: We noticed you were closed today? Will you be reopening or are you shut permanently?
    THEM: Unfortunately Subway Westside is closed. Next closest Subway is located within Londis 24hr Newcastle Rd - just opposite the Hospital

Hope you guys are right and it reopens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I heard that the one near Aldi Westside is good but I haven't tried it.
    You can ask a taxi to pick up a prescription in O'Beirnes, ads 7 euro or so but still is worth it if you're making a big saving on the drugs and dont have a car.

Some of my family use this chemist all the time, its far more reasonable for all items than their local chemist. They encourage bulk buying for more savings, ie buying the 6 months on your prescription at the same time.
    Last time I was there, my whole prescription cost just a euro more that local chemist did per month.

That said, I believe the new chemist on the prom has the same community pharmacy ethos as O'Beirnes.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Bredabe wrote: »
    Some of my family use this chemist all the time, its far more reasonable for all items than their local chemist. They encourage bulk buying for more savings, ie buying the 6 months on your prescription at the same time.
    Last time I was there, my whole prescription cost just a euro more that local chemist did per month.

That said, I believe the new chemist on the prom has the same community pharmacy ethos as O'Beirnes.

The pharmacy on the prom is the same as O'Beirnes. It's the same owner, staff etc, they've just moved premises. I have to say their service is excellent, we've had them ring later in the day and say "actually x med can interact with y , so be careful etc". They are genuinely very helpful.

Interesting about the one near Aldi, thanks for sharing that.

Sad to hear it wont be reopening feel sorry for the guys working there hope they get allocated work in the other shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

The pharmacy on the prom is the same as O'Beirnes. It's the same owner, staff etc, they've just moved premises. I have to say their service is excellent, we've had them ring later in the day and say "actually x med can interact with y , so be careful etc". They are genuinely very helpful.

Interesting about the one near Aldi, thanks for sharing that.

O'Beirnes really are excellent. Not as handy out in Salthill but worth going out for the much cheaper prices and the great staff. If you have a prescription for a few months and buy a few at the same time then you get even more savings, it adds up a lot over a year.

Advertisement