Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

The Lantern in Ballybane has closed

Where did you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Redo91 wrote: »
    The Lantern in Ballybane has closed

Where did you see this?
    Closed since last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Former waterfront bar now has two new frontages as if it has been divided into units. Single door entrances into both so more like offices or similar than retail. Creamery cafe recently expanded into part of the same premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

westgolf wrote: »
    Former waterfront bar now has two new frontages as if it has been divided into units. Single door entrances into both so more like offices or similar than retail. Creamery cafe recently expanded into part of the same premises.

O'Beirne's pharmacy from Henry St is rebranding and going into one of them.

A medical practice from an old house in The Crescent is going into the other.

Source: Being told (in detail) by one of the staff from the pharmacy, and Mr OBumble getting a text from the medical practice (he's a patient) saying they moving there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Carraig Donn opened today in Corbett court. Really brightens the entrance up. Seemed busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

Weavers of Ireland has opened where the Townhouse & Bazaar used to be. Joined with Aran Sweater Market.

AF1QipOGVTOZMebeyyEL9X9d0gN4mcVHi4osV88zf4Qk=s1024

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Weavers of Ireland has opened where the Townhouse & Bazaar used to be. Joined with Aran Sweater Market.

AF1QipOGVTOZMebeyyEL9X9d0gN4mcVHi4osV88zf4Qk=s1024

Probably would not be allowed to throw a rug over that Galvanised electrical junction box? Looks like they have the flood protection barrier system installed on the doorways. Hopefully will work so will not have to re-close/re-open any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Great to see the unit occupied again. It looks great. Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

i went in there and was surprised how small the shop floor is. i remember it being a lot bigger when it was the place to be on a sunny afternoon.

They must be around for 20 years or so, my mother has been buying Rituals products for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Griffins bakery gone and deacys on high st. Such a shame

paconnors wrote: »

Is Griffin's sold? Didn't know deacys was closing.... Shame, no surprise I suppose.

Both places looked as normal today. I'll check them both out on my way to work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

How do you know? Was there a sign in window?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Thought I passed griffins today and all was as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Deaceys was open on Saturday.

Might be good to delete post until a link is provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The rumor...rumor as far as I can see is that the 29th of September was Griffin's last day. If so, it's a terrible loss for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The OP specifically say
    "It is not for hearsay ("someone told me X or Y is about to close") but for your own personal observations"
    to avoid rumors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I was in Griffin's on Saturday afternoon and the staff told me that Sunday would be their last day trading. I haven't passed it today, so don't know if it's still open.

Griffins and Deacys High St are both closed. Signs up on both doors today, I've taken pics and will post here when I get a chance.

Griffins says voluntary liquidation .

• Advertisement

It was on the market for 1.6 million. I'm guessing it was snapped up fast given its location.

The sale vacant possession or with the bakery as a tenant,purchasers choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

biko wrote: »
    How do you know? Was there a sign in window?

Seen it on Facebook

Pics.

491906.jpg

491907.jpg
    The Griffins liquidation thing is interesting indeed: they had signs up looking for new staff a week ago.

The rumour on FB was that Deacy is retiring- nay well be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Griffins refer to the "past few very challenging years"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

This whole thread at times is kind of strange.

These businesses are not inanimate. They involve peoples' families, careers and lives, sometime spanning generations. At times, the public speculation as to motivation for closing is a little tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

zell12 wrote: »
    Griffins refer to the "past few very challenging years"
    A business that didn't change with the times really, tried to rely on their older clientele. The shop itself was poorly laid out from a service point of view,nobody knew how to queue or where to pay which just led to people standing around while staff served whoever was loudest/most obvious.

?Cee?view wrote: »

These businesses are not inanimate. They involve peoples' families, careers and lives, sometime spanning generations. At times, the public speculation as to motivation for closing is a little tasteless.

While I agree with you on speculation, which is not allowed in the thread, these are facts as illustrated by bumbles pics

Candle shop in Eyre square centre closed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It was on the market for 1.6 million. I'm guessing it was snapped up fast given its location.
    September 5 2019 2:30 AM
    https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/a-slice-of-old-galways-cuisine-for-1-6m-38468653.html

The Previous Sale was an inter-family sale during Celtic Tiger years - was covered on the RTE TV Show: "At your Service" a few years back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

?Cee?view wrote: »

Discussing what the staff have said, what is posted on the door of the place and what the owner himself said in the Tribune a few weeks ago....

On the Facebook page for Galway News it was stated Jimmy was retiring. That's where it got confusing. I don't recall him saying he was retiring but it was being reported and repeated by people. He had also said they might close down which based on the fact they were selling as investment property with existing tenants or just straight sale suggested they would have continued the bakery at the discretion of the new owner.

Whatever the situation is, I'd love if they setup the Bakery somewhere else because it sounds like they were entertaining the idea of continuing if the new owner was willing to allow it.

Advertisement