Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sadly we'll never get too see Edge vs KO or Sami now. Edge's WWE Return was acceptable but a lot of bad luck associated with it.

Injuries and the pandemic took away a lot from it

The Rumble entrance will always be a great moment and actually getting to see him Wrestle in person in Cardiff was amazing (saw him at a Inside the ropes event in Dublin before)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

He was fantastic. Of all the big wrestling names he had on Kurt has been the by far the best. I found Flair, Hogan and Taker pretty underwhelming.

I think it’s because he really connected with Joe due to his combat sports history.

I’m not sure whether having Tony Hinchcliffe there is a plus or a minus. I’m not a huge fan but I think I’d nearly prefer a separate pod by Tony Hinchcliffe really going into the proper ins and out at a level familiar to pure wrestling fans. Joe is just too much a layman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its also clear Rogan does no research at all into his guests. They didnt even bring up the Foxcatcher thing did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

No. Really surprising given Angle was actually wearing a David Schulez T-Shirt.

lol. Ridiculous considering Angle was supposed to go see David and train there the week he was killed and he was the first member of the Dave Schultz Wrestling Club. Even left him a voicemail the day he was killed.

• Advertisement

Attitude era angle!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,344 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If you take money out of it how WWE actually deals with Brian Pillman Jr over the next year might actually give AEW talent a better idea of how the Fed will treat them if the go over there.

Not how Cody with his history or Jade who just looks like a mega star are.

Logan Paul is boxing now ?

First I've heard of it or care tbh

Hope he gets battered

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Haha yeah.

Does come off as a very smug fellow alright.

He went 8 rounds with Mayweather a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,344 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To be fair nearly everyone goes 8 rounds with Mayweather these days as cream in the millions for those exhibation fights.

And Mayweather came out and said the fight was bs lol. He said if it was a 'real fight' it would have ended with a knockout in round 1.

I do find it funny because we've all met people in life who think wrestling is sh*te because it's fake. But the same sort would have watched Mayweather and Logan and thought it was real.

Found out that Chris Masters is only 40. It just boggles my mind that he is that young.

His WWE run was 2005 to 2007 (he got signed at 20 in 2003 - and put in developmental) and it was during his tv run he was doing the whole Master Lock Challenge bit. He got let go in 2007.

While he returned to WWE in 2009 to 2011 (Apparently Orton got him his job back) he was essentially a jobber. So his career took a downward turn at 24 and he was done and dusted in WWE by 28.

He was clearly juiced off his chops at the wrong time (2006/7) with the Benoit thing. Failed multiple drug tests etc. They were never going to push a known/caught steroid user when he came back. Which he clearly was going by how much size he lost when he came back off the juice.

Thats it really. His steroid usage was so blatant when he went off the gas. He could never keep any of his gains to look half-alright in comparison.

Interestingly enough I remember hearing Lex Luger describe his 90s WWF look as him being "steamlined" (off the gas) But he managed to look great. But I guess Luger working out for years has to be taken into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I remember HHH making fun of him in a promo after he lost some roid shape.

Looking back, HHH seemed to like burying him.

Pot calling the kettle black. Sure even Trips went fat once when he famously went off them in 2004 if i recall correctly.

But that's the messed up thing about Masters, so he was on steroids, big deal as they all were pre-Benoit murders. Even some were still on them post Benoit. But I guess his use was visually blatant so he became the butt end of jokes both off and in that case on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭Riddle101

And of course if anyone else ever joked about it HHH and HBK would get upset and probably find ways to bury you even deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Did someone here say Tony Khan was rumoured to be buying Lucha Underground? Just Marty the Moth appeared on RoH this week and they mentioned he was in Lucha Underground so I was trying to think if they mentioned it before since the likes of Lucha Bros, AR Fox and Swerve were all prominent there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Probably mentioned before, but was talking to someone about The Exorcist and other movies that were banned and while looking up what films had been banned, I saw Wrestlemania 2000 on the list.

I remember I lived in Dublin at the time and picked up the VHS of the event so either the shop I bought from ignored the ban or it wasn't enforced. Pretty sure I saw it in HMV and Virgin/Zavvi as well at the time.

Watched Bret vs Razor at Royal Rumble 93. Good match. Man I miss old school wrestling, the modern style is too convoluted. Nothing is left for room to breath.

You watch Bret vs Razor and its:

• Bret punches razor into the corner. Razor whips, beat down, razor whips again and cut off (rule of 3)
    • Bret goes into his shine. No 100 moves a minute like today.
    • Razor whips Bret into the turnbuckle and Bret takes it on his ribs. Boom, off to the heal heat.
    • Razor lays the beat down.
    • Razor keeps bret alive.
    • Few hope spots.
    • Bret makes the comeback and hits moveset.
    • Few falese'ies.
    • They work for a bit.
    • Finish.

Better than most jank today.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah it’s good match and it made me realise how deceptively tall Scott hall was. I never say him a a big guy but he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’ve didn’t know it was banned. Bizarre reasoning given I know the VHS tape of other events was available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Shoot interviews are so ubiquitous now that I actually think there's a gap in the market for long-form interviews which are completely in character.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nah. They’d just get shát on.

I agree that shoot interviews are completely done to death now, but kayfabe one’s just don’t work anymore.

Ariel Helwani has the perfect combo with his interviews that he has done

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Reading about the perpetrators of the Greysteel Massacre in Derry thirty years ago.

Does this chap remind you of anyone?

Could Kenny Omega be this generations Sting in terms of not going too WWE in there prime ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

World Cup 2034 all but confirmed for Saudi Arabia. Looks like it’s not just WWE with a taste for that sweet sweet blood money. Can’t wait to see the mental gymnastics from the holier than thou wrestling /footy fans to justify going/supporting it whilst keeping their moral high ground over WWE events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Personally I don't think so. Kenny will never be on the same level of a star as Sting because Sting was so popular because people connected with him emotionally. People just watch Kenny for spectacle. People don't 'care' about him in the way the people 'cared' about Sting. As Kenny slows down he might be able to find that way to connect but it's too late for him to ever reach Sting levels.

Advertisement