Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sodastream

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Converts regular disposable carbonated drink bottles like Coke and 7-Up etc into bottles which can be used in the Sodastream?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EarlSTL

Thanks! I don’t leave the adapter in the machine. I just attach it to the soda bottle and then attach/remove the soda bottle from the machine as if like a normal sodastream bottle. :)

I wanted to post the link from ebay here but Boards wouldn’t let me yet as am new to the group. I bought only one but the seller I bought it from gave me a 2nd piece for free! I think he just 3D prints them. I like it because i could use smaller soda bottles if I just want to carbonate single serve quantities.

• Advertisement

Sorry I can’t post links yet as am new to the group. Here’s a screencap so maybe you can just search in eBay UK. I just realized that it’s a bit expensive for a small piece of plastic. But it works! And the guy was nice enough to send me 2 though I just ordered 1. :)

I have a very noob question and not sure if this has been asked or discussed. Do all these carbonators have a relief valve that releases excess CO2 once you’ve pumped-in enough gas and the pressure inside the bottle is already too high? Something like a safety feature. I like my drink extra fizzy but am just too afraid to pump too much that the bottle might not be able to take the pressure.

I use Happy Frizz Mio and I noticed that with a single pump, there is a continuous hissing sound and after 3-4 good pumps, there is a loud, sudden hiss as if releasing the pressure. I guess that’s the relief valve doing its job?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭wassie

Yes - spot on. You wont be able to over-pressurise a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hi all,

I've the AJ edge tank working away for a while now. I have 3 cylinders, 2 old valve and 1 new; all good so far.

On the last refill, one of the old valve cylinders filled fine, but now won't release any gas when put into sodastream machine. Machine working fine with the other 2. Any ideas on how to get it going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I noticed that my soda stream bottles have a best before date. It terrifies me a little every time filling them, how much should i pay attention to this? Is there much risk of them blowing up when filling from the big bottles like from AJ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I think you'll find your big bottle is past its date also, hence why its been re-purposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Vince1974

AJ Edge gets mentioned a good bit here. I found a website (https://www.ajedgefiresafety.ie/) but it doesn't work. Do they sell food grade CO2?

Thanks,

Vincent

Yes I believe so, that's where I get my refills. They'll ask you whether it's for home brew or sodastream and fill accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Yes, either give them a ring or drop out

Their main business is fire safety; from what I understand they up/re-cycle used for extinguishers by filling with CO2 and selling to home-brewers and us sodastream nyerds.

You won't find anything about it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah just park up outside and get someones attention and ask about sodastream they will sort you out. They cant really advertise it too publicly as theres always an unlikely but small possibility sodastream legal might come calling.

Have a good look at the valve, i had a weird issue a while back that after filling one of my bottles had a small but steady leak, after a close inspection some how a tiny bit of rubber had fallen into the valve, a little of of maneuvering and i got it out but i can now see how something might get stuck and lock it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

anyone know of any decent sugar free syrups for the SS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Total Control

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement pressure release valve (vent bleed). I've somehow misplaced mine and would rather not buy a whole new adapter for the sake of one screw if possible.

From my rough measurements it seems to be an ~6.5mm thread but I can't confirm that from any sources online.

Post edited by Total Control on

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Anyone out there got some advice / guidance re the refill process when using the normal Sodastream canister valve that has the anti-refill valve type.

my current process is to very gently slowly open the tank valve until you can just hear the gas. Then I leave it for number of seconds, then try to open it further.

When I open it first I can hear the canister starting to fill, but then the noise stops after 5-10 seconds and I don’t think anything more is going in, even when I open up the tank valve further.

I am not getting more than an extra 200g of gas into the cylinder, whereas I should be getting an extra 500g.

I am using a cold tank from outside and frozen sodastream cylinders from the freezer.

Any tips to get this improvement in refill volume? I did buy a couple of new valves online but I didn’t fit them yet and tbh they look exactly the same type as the ones on the canister already so perhaps I bought the wrong ones 😪

Also, is it possible to try and refill, then release the gas using release valve, disconnect from tank, then reconnect and try to continue the refill process again. Or do you need to completely empty the cylinder before attempting to start the refill process again.

Thanks all.

Why don't you try fitting your new valves and test them out first? Only takes a couple of minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think it should be a warm tank and cold refill cylinders.

Thanks. Haven’t managed to get them off yet but will do as soon as I get access to a vice or large enough pipe wrench.

Thanks - will try that re the warm CO2 tank and frozen cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I keep my red tank in the shed so definitely not warm at this time of year. Always fill from frozen sodastream bottles. I open a tiny bit until i hear the hiss and extremely slowly open to full over the course of about 10 seconds. You can definitely hear it filling and see the ice on bottle melting as it fills. I have had one where it locked on me , just refroze it and tried again and was grand. The sound only dies down after 20-30 seconds i'd say normally.

Tbh i'm so terrified of the sodastream bottle blowing up i cannot wait for it to stop! As I also store logs in my shed I hold a big one in front of the bottle with one hand when filling , in my head its offering some protection. All good fun!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

My cannisters only fill to about 1080mls, empty they are about 775mls so I get around 300mls into them each fill, they are frozen and have the non anti-fill valve (ie, old style)

I wish I kept a note of each fill, as I've no idea how much is left in the donor tank.

Does anyone here bypass this step completely and link the large tank to the sodastream directly?

Funny one - was at a friend’s house over Christmas, saw he had a Sodastream and told him that I would fill any empty canisters that he had.

He proceeded to tell me that he had about 30 empty canisters!!!! He told me that he just buys a new one each time - expensive for water!!

I took a few - all different valve types and filled them - my fills ranged from 950g to 1250, so all working well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's worth noting that Sodastream is an Israeli brand so for some people, refilling rather than using the Sodastream system may be preferable. For people purchasing a new system, there are other brands available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Thanks for that.

Anyone know if anywhere to refill in the north east?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭tandcapply

Bought this 5L Canister with W21.8-14 written on it's outlet from A J edge:

Any idea what adapter is needed, have the Valve below on the sodastream blue canister

Will one of these work for it to attach to the Co2 5L?

Or am I better off getting one of these:

Have no problem waiting for China deliveries as have a full cylinder at present

Post edited by tandcapply on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The first one definitely works, AFAIK people from a while back in the thread bought and used it, never seen the second option but looks like it works too so it's personal preference. I have a similar setup linked below and like it https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/sodastream-cylinder-refill-adapter-p520.html

Advertisement