Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sodastream

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Raoul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Got a gift of a sodastream Duo but it’s the pink quick connect bottles only.

Found a few adapters to make the blue bottles work but can’t get them shipped to Ireland. I’ve already got a few of the blue bottles so need some way to make them work with the DUO connection.

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭wassie

Not familiar with those bottles - Whats the adapter you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

I was out in AJ Edge this morning getting a refill. I was speaking with one of the guys there and he was saying the price of CO2 is going through the roof.

Got my 5KG refill for €10 but he said it'll probably be the last at that price if supply chain issues aren't sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

Has anyone got a link for the AJ Edge place in Bray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

If you're looking for a website it's not that sort of place!!!

Here's a link to it on Google Maps - https://g.page/ajedgefiresafety?share

You just rock up and ask them for what you want.

Phone ahead and get a price first and see what time they go for lunch. They don't work through their lunch so you could be waiting if you turn up at the wrong time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

Thanks both.

Looks like they don't do weekends or evenings so not worth my while as I don't live locally to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Well, that escalated quickly!

Tallaght have now gone up to €20 per bottle (price doubled over the year) and €50 for three. Argos don't have the replacement cylinder listed. Harvey Norman website mentions €21.95, so that's probably the best option, unless you happen to be local to Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

was looking to pull the trigger on a Sodastream or an Aarke but the gas seems like it’s now hard to get. Are there 2 types of canisters? One disposable and one refillable. Is this correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Just got a 5KG refill in AJ in Bray for 15 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Finally got round to getting one of the 5KG cylinders from AJ Edge. Very friendly service, cost €55 for the filled cylinder. Is a lot bigger than i was expecting, going to get a lot of refills out of it!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hungry4k

Can I just hook this up to my machine from the big tank without any soda stream canisters?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That's the idea if you have space for it. The tanks you get from AJ Edge are about a metre tall at a guess. I keep mine in the shed.

The place that changes the heads on the sodastream canisters is out of stock however i filled my canister with absolutely no problems by gradually opening the fire extinguisher tap.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 fluffykre

Hi folks did my first refill today. I picked up a 10kg cylinder and using the german co2 adapter.

I refilled 4 sodastreams bottles and they all maxed out at a weight around a 1kg. Some had more co2 then others before refilling. I froze the soda stream bottles for 10 hours. I am getting around 232 grams per refill

Anyone have stats to compare max fill amounts?

Does it help to let the large cylinder sit upside down for some time before refilling?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Raoul

From memory I think I was getting about 1.170 kg. That was with the empty soda stream canisters in the freezer and the big canister at room temperature.

I can't remember what the weight is when they are empty.

I don't think I would be bothered with trying to have the large canister inverted. Presume you got the dip tube (I think that's what it is called) in the large canister?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I havent measured mine in a while but a new cannister is meant to contain around 410g, my best fill ever was 418g. If they werent fully empty that might explain the difference though, a fully empty cannister should be close to 750kg. Also if your tank has a dip tube then there's no need to invert it.

Just got my cannister refilled down in Bray today, took a little under 2 years to get through it for around 50 quid initially and 15 for the refill which is incredible value for money considering the pricing sodastream charge

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

From my brief experience, it seems the bottles need to be empty to get the best refill results. Empty bottles weigh 750 grams. For my first refill, one bottle weighed 760 grams and the other weighed 860 grams. The 760 grams refilled to 1370 grams = 610 grams of gas. The 860 gram bottle only refilled to 1030 = 170 fill, but in total there's 290 grams left in the bottle. Both bottles were in the freezer for two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

With Argos shutting down, it looks like Harvey Norman is the only mainstream option for refills, which is a bit of a pain.

If there’s anyone in south Dublin interested in offering an off-market refill service, please shout.

• Advertisement

Get to Bray if you can they are still happily selling the big cans for 50, the savings are a no brainer imo even if it took several years to get through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭theintern

Unfortunately they only open during the week, which I found out while passing at a weekend recently.

Any other suppliers in the midlands/west selling big bottles? Hard to tell from online listings of certain companies, there usually isn't much detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

Thinking about getting a sodastream or aarke. I don't really want to be refilling myself, for now at least. How difficult is it to buy cannisters these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EarlSTL

@Krusty_Clown Hi. Just wanted to confirm, when you get a CO2 cylinder from AJ Edge Bray, do they actually give you the fire extinguisher with the actual release lever or they replace that with a proper head valve? Is it possible if you could share a photo of one you got from them please? Thanks!

Hi! Is that the cylinder that you got from AJ Edge Bray? Just wanted to confirm that they actually give you a tank with a proper head valve like that for better flow control and they replace the actual release lever on the firw extinguisher? The reason I am asking is that I saw one selling a 2kg fire extinguisher for cheap but I I think it still has the lever on and not with the head valve. Am worried that with just the lever, refilling might be quite troublesome. Thanks.

Yeah that's the cylinder I got from AJ Edge, lever removed with the head valve replacing it.

That is awesome! Glad I found this thread. Very helpful! Super thanks! :)

Got this adapter off of Ebay and it works! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yep, exact same setup as Confused11811. That adapter you purchased, will it still take the Sodastream PET bottles, or would you have to remove it to use the normal sodastream plastic bottles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭wassie

Seen a few of those on Amazon also. Great idea, going to get one myself. Thanks for the heads up @EarlSTL

Advertisement