Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sodastream

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭mfield

RobAMerc wrote: »
    If you are willing to wait, mine should be arriving shortly and I can confirm its compatible both ends - my last one didnt

Hi, I’m looking at setting this up and was curious if that valve worked for you or am I better off purchasing one from co2-adapter.de?

Also, I’m going buy a Soda Stream in the next few days. Is there any particular model that is best to get?

Any help would be great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

mfield wrote: »
    Hi, I’m looking at setting this up and was curious if that valve worked for you or am I better off purchasing one from co2-adapter.de?

Also, I’m going buy a Soda Stream in the next few days. Is there any particular model that is best to get?

Any help would be great. :)

I got the "One Touch" plug in model which lets you press one of three buttons for the amount of gasing you want. It was a bit more than the manual one but I'm glad I did. If you're planning to use it a lot for carbonated water for example I think the convenience Vs having to manually pump the gas is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

54and56 wrote: »
    I got the "One Touch" plug in model which lets you press one of three buttons for the amount of gasing you want. It was a bit more than the manual one but I'm glad I did. If you're planning to use it a lot for carbonated water for example I think the convenience Vs having to manually pump the gas is worth it.

Jesus that's some coin for that.

I got my yoke for £29.99. I'll take a couple of pumps of the button over that anyday.

That being said, a year without gas is getting tiresome. Hopefully that bit doesn't arrive into Harvey Norman and buys 11 next time again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help. I have the tank from AJ in Bray. I got the adaptor from Amazon and I put the empty side stream bottle (newer kind) in the freezer. However when I connect everything together and slowly release the valve then nothing happens. When I release the soda stream bottle a little bit of gas escapes but that’s about it.

Not sure what to do next.

crazyderk wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can help. I have the tank from AJ in Bray. I got the adaptor from Amazon and I put the empty side stream bottle (newer kind) in the freezer. However when I connect everything together and slowly release the valve then nothing happens. When I release the soda stream bottle a little bit of gas escapes but that’s about it.

Watch from 5:13 onwards for a good explanation of the problem you're experiencing.

The closing action he's referring to with the newer Sodastream canisters is what happens when you open the donor (AJ Edge) canister valve too quick. A high volume of CO2 rushes out and pushes the Sodastream valve closed. You need to fiddle around to find the right amount of release from the donor valve which pushes open the Sodastream valve enough to keep it open to fill but not so much that it forces it past the "open" range and forces it closed.

If I read it correctly the old narrow Sodastream valves only have a single open and closed function so the pressure from the donation canister can only open the Sodastream valve. At its max it stays open whereas the new valves have a sweet spot for staying open and if too much pressure comes from the donor canister they push past the open range and effectively close requiring you to start again.

Took me a bit of time to figure out how much pressure to initially apply but basically start slow and when you hear gas being transferred stop opening the donor valve any further and just let it complete it's fill.

Hope the above makes some sense to you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hi all,

As was posted above it sounds like you've got one of the newer canisters designed to stop people from filling themselves.

If you cant get it working id suggest trying the lucky dip and going for a trade in to see if you can get lucky and pick up one of the old styles. I was similar to you and the canister i got with my system was a newer style however i ordered a 2nd online while i was waiting for AJ to restock which luckily ended up being old style and then traded the new style one in at Harvey Norman and got lucky again with another old style.

Watch from 5:13 onwards for a good explanation of the problem you're experiencing.

The closing action he's referring to with the newer Sodastream canisters is what happens when you open the donor (AJ Edge) canister valve too quick. A high volume of CO2 rushes out and pushes the Sodastream valve closed. You need to fiddle around to find the right amount of release from the donor valve which pushes open the Sodastream valve enough to keep it open to fill but not so much that it forces it past the "open" range and forces it closed.

If I read it correctly the old narrow Sodastream valves only have a single open and closed function so the pressure from the donation canister can only open the Sodastream valve. At its max it stays open whereas the new valves have a sweet spot for staying open and if too much pressure comes from the donor canister they push past the open range and effectively close requiring you to start again.

Took me a bit of time to figure out how much pressure to initially apply but basically start slow and when you hear gas being transferred stop opening the donor valve any further and just let it complete it's fill.

Hope the above makes some sense to you!!

I’ve watched that video a few times, I’ve started super slow and never hear the gas starting to fill or hear any kind of a click of the valve shutting like in the video

One other question, do the tanks from AJ have a dip in them or should I turn it upside down?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Former Coach

Thanks Wassie, I haven't done anything worthy of speacial mention. I found and enefitted from this thread so just happy to contribute my experience.

These type of threads along with "Bargain" threads like YouTube Premium for less then $2 a month and forums where others with expertise (DIY, Bike Maintenance, Android Devices etc) share their knowledge and help other posters out have been a massive help to me over the years and the thing I enjoy most about Boards.

As it happens I ran out of CO2 yesterday so popped out to AJ Edge today for a refill and they couldn't have been better to deal with. Took the empty cylinder, refilled it with CO2 and gave it back to me within 3-4 minutes. €10 for the next 6 months worth of carbonated water. Happy days.
    What size is the cylinder 54&56?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭wassie

One other question, do the tanks from AJ have a dip in them or should I turn it upside down?

Easy enough to test - you will soon know.

The one I bought recently did - but I did make a point of asking also.

Also, I bought a replacement valve for my new sodastream canister rather than taking a punt to try and score an older type.

https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/sodastream-valve-p533.html

I bought it when I purchased my adapter so i could combine postage. But may work out more expensive when you include postage on its own.

• Advertisement

Mine has one and I forgot to ask when picking it up, my impression when i was on the phone to them was they are selling so many at the moment that they are keeping around 5-10 always ready and they prep and dip them without being asked which you previously needed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

is there an easy way to tell if your cannisters are old or new style?

is there an easy way to tell if your cannisters are old or new style?

I found this image that's useful here. From what ive personally seen each one has slightly different variations you can get but that doesn't change the function, if you have just a small pin like on the left its the old style and if theres any kind of flat cap like the right its a newer one.

Z50e.JPG

Not necessarily by default so it's worth asking them when buying.

If you aren't getting any sort of fill, regardless of whether your Sodastream canister is the older or newer type, you may not have a dip tube in the AJ Edge donor canister so you need to invert it and then open the valve to start the fill.

It's doable but a bit of a pain hence the benefit of having a dip tube which allows you to fill with the donor canister standing upright.

wassie wrote: »
    Also, I bought a replacement valve for my new sodastream canister rather than taking a punt to try and score an older type.

https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/sodastream-valve-p533.html

Have you fitted the replacement valve yet Wassie? How easy is it to remove and replace the supplied valve on the sodastream canister?

I've one new style canister and whilst I do manage the fiddly refill process with it I'd prefer if it had an older style valve so might buy one if it's not too tricky a process.

Have you fitted the replacement valve yet Wassie? How easy is it to remove and replace the supplied valve on the sodastream canister?

I've one new style canister and whilst I do manage the fiddly refill process with it I'd prefer if it had an older style valve so might buy one if it's not too tricky a process.

I watched a vid on how to replace them and the only serious equipment i think you need that not everyone might have is a vice, other than that it looks pretty simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭wassie

No I haven't yet but was inspired by the post & pics from this time last year by ...Ghost... that suggested it is easy enough by hand with a wrench/spanner.

Will post back when I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I still haven't gotten myself out to AJ.
    But one quick question, when getting your 2nd (or later) cool from AJ do they generally just refill the tank you have or swap you for a new full one?
    Or. Of you do/don't get a dip first tone round are you stuck/sorted for the long run.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I still haven't gotten myself out to AJ.
    But one quick question, when getting your 2nd (or later) cool from AJ do they generally just refill the tank you have or swap you for a new full one?
    Or. Of you do/don't get a dip first tone round are you stuck/sorted for the long run.

They just refill what you have, if its not dipped and you need a refill id assume they can add a dip tube for a cost before refilling.

VinLieger wrote: »
    They just refill what you have, if its not dipped and you need a refill id assume they can add a dip tube for a cost before refilling.

That's what I got them to do. My canister didn't come with a dip tube so I asked them to add one when I got my first refill. Don't think they charged anything for it.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    I found this image that's useful here. From what ive personally seen each one has slightly different variations you can get but that doesn't change the function, if you have just a small pin like on the left its the old style and if theres any kind of flat cap like the right its a newer one.

thanks!

turns out I have 2 of the "new" style - are the replacement ole ones easy to come by?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Does anyone know of an equivalent to AJ in Cork which sells CO2 canisters with dipped tubes? Interested in doing this myself, but getting to Bray is a bit of a stretch.....!

Schorpio wrote: »
    Does anyone know of an equivalent to AJ in Cork which sells CO2 canisters with dipped tubes? Interested in doing this myself, but getting to Bray is a bit of a stretch.....!

I'll ask in the homebrew community

turns out I have 2 of the "new" style - are the replacement ole ones easy to come by?

Its a lucky dip when you trade them in unfortunately, the other option is to buy the replacement valves as posted previously in the thread and swap them out. Ive not done it myself but from what ive seen it doesn't look too difficult.

Schorpio wrote: »

I got an answer for you!

Munster CO2, in Lotabeg/Mayfield.

They do much of the same services as AJ edge, but the prices are not quite as good for refills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I got an answer for you!

Munster CO2, in Lotabeg/Mayfield.

They do much of the same services as AJ edge, but the prices are not quite as good for refills.

Fantastic - thanks. Really appreciate it! I'll get in touch with them, see how I get on.

My neighbor had an old style soda stream canister and the refill worked a treat. It seems I just can't find the sweet spot on the new cannisters. I ordered the old style adapter from c02 supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TeaIsCrack

Has anyone had success refilling cannisters with the Protection Valve? I've tried doing mine ridiculously slowly and can't get it to work...

• Advertisement

My neighbor had an old style soda stream canister and the refill worked a treat. It seems I just can't find the sweet spot on the new cannisters. I ordered the old style adapter from c02 supermarket.

could you stick a link in for this please?

Advertisement