Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider suicide selfish?

Options
  • 22-03-2019 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Bit of a heavy topic on a Friday..would you consider suicide a selfish decision?
    I know this is a very sensitive subject and a complex one,but the country's attention has been turned to it once again in what has been a terrible week for people going missing/being found dead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

No, because it isn't.

Surely no action in and of itself is selfish or non-selfish - but the reasons for doing it are?

As such I see absolutely no reason to think suicide itself is selfish. At all. However if I knew the reasons _why_ any given individual does it then perhaps that is a discussion that could be had. But I would simply say I have yet to hear any reasons for it so far that I considered the person doing it to have been selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Whocare

Very but it depends on the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Nope, it isn't. Next question.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

This question pops up every so often. generally from someone who has no idea about mental health, depression & anxiety, etc.

No it's not selfish. Now let's move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Mixed opinions on it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's just tragic. That's the only proper word I can think of for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's not selfish.

The more threads on this the better so that hopefully more folk learn that.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭patmahe

No, I don't believe it is.

I think most who do it feel worthless and like the world is better off without them. Of course this is not true but if your mind is constantly telling you something, its a hard thing to keep fighting it.

If anyone reading this is in a bad place, please get help today, talk or text any number below.

The Samaritans
    The Samaritans
    www.samaritans.ie
    Tel: 116 123

Text: 087 2 60 90 90

Email: jo@samaritans.ie

Aware (Depression & Bi-Polar Disorder)
    www.aware.ie
    Tel: 1800 80 48 48

Email: supportmail@aware.ie

Pieta House (Suicide & Self-harm)
    National Suicide Helpline (Pieta House) 1800 247 247

www.pieta.ie
    Tel: 01 623 5606

Turn2Me.org (Online one to one or group counselling)
    Grow (Mental Health support and Recovery)
    www.grow.ie
    Tel: 1890 474 474

Bodywhys (Eating Disorders Associations of Ireland)
    www.bodywhys.ie
    1890 200 444

Irish Advocacy Network (Peer advocacy in mental health)
    www.irishadvocacynetwork.com
    Tel: 01 872 8684

IACP (Counselling & Psychotherapy)
    www.iacp.ie
    Tel: 01 230 3536

Irish Council for Psychotherapy (Counselling & Psychotherapy)
    www.psychotherapycouncil.ie
    Tel: 01 905 8698

Shine (Supporting people effected by mental ill health)
    www.shine.ie

Childline
    www.childline.ie

1800 66 66 66 24hr a day

One to one chat – 10am-4am

Text BULLY or TALK or HELP to 50101 from 10am to 4am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

depends on the motivation. mostly not but can it be in some circumstances? yes probably.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

No. Suicide is usually the culmination of years of mental anguish.

The only exceptions would be cases like Alan Hawe. He committed suicide to escape the consequences of his actions. Hence, his suicide was a selfish act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Well,.if you think your family wouldn't be able to cope without you and then you massacre them before taking your own life!? Then that's selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well,.if you think your family wouldn't be able to cope without you and then you massacre them before taking your own life!? Then that's selfish.

Well that's a little different than most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

patmahe wrote: »
    No, I don't believe it is.

I think most who do it feel worthless and like the world is better off without them. Of course this is not true but if your mind is constantly telling you something, its a hard thing to keep fighting it.

If anyone reading this is in a bad place, please get help today, talk or text any number below.

The Samaritans
    The Samaritans
    www.samaritans.ie
    Tel: 116 123

Text: 087 2 60 90 90

Email: jo@samaritans.ie

Aware (Depression & Bi-Polar Disorder)
    www.aware.ie
    Tel: 1800 80 48 48

Email: supportmail@aware.ie

Pieta House (Suicide & Self-harm)
    National Suicide Helpline (Pieta House) 1800 247 247

www.pieta.ie
    Tel: 01 623 5606

Turn2Me.org (Online one to one or group counselling)
    Grow (Mental Health support and Recovery)
    www.grow.ie
    Tel: 1890 474 474

Bodywhys (Eating Disorders Associations of Ireland)
    www.bodywhys.ie
    1890 200 444

Irish Advocacy Network (Peer advocacy in mental health)
    www.irishadvocacynetwork.com
    Tel: 01 872 8684

IACP (Counselling & Psychotherapy)
    www.iacp.ie
    Tel: 01 230 3536

Irish Council for Psychotherapy (Counselling & Psychotherapy)
    www.psychotherapycouncil.ie
    Tel: 01 905 8698

Shine (Supporting people effected by mental ill health)
    www.shine.ie

Childline
    www.childline.ie

1800 66 66 66 24hr a day

One to one chat – 10am-4am

Text BULLY or TALK or HELP to 50101 from 10am to 4am

No its not. also quoting this incase someone missed the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

There's a big difference between both those scenarios.

Big difference and quite a leap between someone taking their own life, and someone murdering their whole family with axes and hacksaws and then taking their own life.

Not one person would defend or condone the latter scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

In my late teens I was always saying that suicide is the most selfish thing ever done. That the person who finds you will be scarred forever. That your friends and family will be heartbroken.

But then I was the suicidal one and I saw how very wrong I was. Suicidal person feels like a burden, like everyone would be better off without them. Sure, the family and friends will cry for a bit, but eventually they will see that life is much better without them constantly letting everyone down. In the end they see it as the most selfless act and also as an escape from the unbelievable and never ending paid they are in.

It's a horrible place to be in and I urge everyone who's going through this to seek help. Pieta House does an excellent job, the Samaritans, talk to your friends or a family member, start chat with a stranger, tell us here on Boards. You are not alone in this and it's ok not to be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

It's the worst thing ever. We live in a suicide hot spot and I swear to God every time you hear someone is dead round here it is automatic to presume first that they committed suicide. I could reel off names, neighbours, school children, old farmers, not one lane around here has not had a suicide on it, it's unspeakably sad. A very good friend committed suicide last year. Driving this morning past the church where their funeral took place just makes me wish to Christ there had been any other way in the whole wide world for them to deal with things. I wish people would put on strong shoes and head off to walk around the whole world without stopping rather than kill themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Whatever about whether it’s selfish or not I don’t believe the motivation of the person carrying it out is selfish.

You can argue back and forth over the act itself until the cows come home.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Where you leave behind young kids, I think it's really difficult on the children and the questions/grief it leaves for them.
    Generally, I believe in voluntary euthanasia/right to take your own life. I think this is a social issue that needs airing, discussing and legislation for allowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What's your take on it OP.?

I have heard of every kind of suicide. But there are some odd suicides that could be considered selfish. I know of youngsters who swore they would commit suicide if someone left them, a constant drip drip threat to their partners. And I know of a few cases where people did actually commit suicide when the other broke up with them. So, to be honest, I think it is simply not possible to say that NO suicide is selfish. Just like any other human act it has multiple and complex facets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I think it is selfish but I don't believe the person committing suicide would view it as such at all.

It's very easy for me to say why doesn't a suicidal person see the impact such an act has on those left behind, why don't they seek additional help etc. but clearly they don't view it that way or they wouldn't go ahead with it or so I hope.

I believe a person committing suicide sees it (incorrectly) as the only option for them. I believe that they cannot see any other possible alternative. I think you have to believe that sometimes (even if you deep down question that believe somewhat), otherwise you would never manage to grieve and would be consumed with anger.

The individual experiences and impact that suicide has on people means you'll never get agreement on it. It's such an emotive topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,210 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In most cases they aren't in the odd case when somebody does it to get back of somebody it may be selfish depending on the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Depends how it's done as well. I think jumping in front of a train for example is selfish, in terms of the driver you are potentially traumatising and the commuters you are inconveniencing. If it's done quietly without affecting others then I wouldn't regard it as selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

KM792 wrote: »
    I know this is a very sensitive subject and a complex one

And yet here you are, asking an insensitive and over-simplified question about it. :)

A very ill person might misguidedly and irrationally - but utterly sincerely - believe that their death would be the best all-round outcome for everyone. I came very close to killing myself last year, and that's how I felt. If anything, I felt that not having done it years ago was selfish and... cowardly... that I had been chickening out of something that had seemed, for a very long time, like an inevitability. I'm all good now, and if I had taken my own life back then, it would have been (and I say this with the benefit of hindsight and much better mental health) a mistake, to put it mildly. Not a selfish mistake though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

From my perspective I consider suicide the ultimate expression of selfishness, because ultimately it’s entirely about oneself and how one feels about their own circumstances.

Would I pass negative judgment on someone who had chosen to take their own life? No, because I don’t see the point, they’re never going to know of my condemnation of their actions and I don’t speak ill of the dead - they’re dead, so there’s no point.

At least if a person is still alive, there’s a chance they can be reached to prevent them from feeling like taking their own life or not is the only choice they have left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Yes, It's selfish. The fawning tributes on social media anytime someone commits this crime is nauseating. It should be held in the same regard as murder or rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Yes, It's selfish. The fawning tributes on social media anytime someone commits this crime is nauseating. It should be held in the same regard as murder or rape.

It's not a crime, but if it was, what sort of punishment would you advocate?

• Advertisement

It's not a crime, but if it was, what sort of punishment would you advocate?

:) Great dark humour. You'll go far.

Advertisement