Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Stadia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Hoping for good news today but won't be surprised if it's more old games coming later this year/early next year. It's taking awhile to get going but I do think that by this time next year it will be much more appealing to more people. I've had it since launch but only lately am I getting any kind of use of the platform. Hopefully we get some good announcements today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,267 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was only when I heard it mentioned in the Ubisoft Forward that I remembered Stadia even exists.

Ha. I hadn't used mine for about 3 months. F1 20 got me back into it. And the fact that I now have much better broadband in my house. Went from having speeds of 15 - 20 mbs to almost 80 mbs. Not getting any buffering or lag at all now. Runs like a dream. And the added perk of being able to play on my Samsung phone is why I was interested in Stadia in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

While not dead, I'd honestly presumed Google had quietly let this die. Very surprised of any news TBH.

I've always been half tempted but the bandwidth usage - while understandable - has always remained too eye watering to consider. There's an unlimited quota on my package but one would wonder how quickly ISPs might reconsider if gaming streaming became at all commonplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Pro Tier is worth dipping to check out at least. There's a decent collection of games you get right off the bat and you can currently get two months for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Flicked through that stadia release video, nothing of interest to me. Very little about the golf game coming out and zero on Madden 2021 which is due to be released next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I only care about Orcs Must Die 3 news. :o

It's out now! :)

The Connect pretty much went as i thought it would. The game sale is a nice touch, tempted by one or 2. But other than that it's still a case of waiting for more new games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

any idea if one can use mobile credit to pay the monthly subscription? cheers

Not sure. Usually that depends on the carrier you're with. I'm on billpay so can't check.Sorry!

• Advertisement

Some great deals up on the store at the moment. AC: Odyssey for €35 is calling out to me in particular. Its €23 if you're a pro member. So even if you signed up beforehand and cancelled immediately, you can save an extra €2.
    Red Dead 2 is down to €48 and a good few other games reduced too. Bye bye cash.

There's also this handy website that's tracking prices and sales too.
    You can see all the sale items and if they've been lower than that in the past too :)

https://stadiadb.app/

Google has just introduced the ability to play Stadia games on your phone using mobile data. It will use up roughly 2.7gb per hour which is a good bit less than the basic settings when playing through wifi. They must be reducing picture quality to save data given the screen is smaller on phones and won't be noticed as much.
    This will be very handy for me when I head home on weekends where my family home doesn't have broadband but phone reception is good enough usually for this kinda service. Usually stable at 20mbs download.
    If you want to enable this feature, open the app,click your account and go to "Experiments".

So you won't be using Stadia or xCloud on your iPhone or iPad.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/apple-wont-let-stadia-or-xcloud-into-ios-citing-app-store-guidelines/

Personally, I see that as disgraceful behaviour from Apple. Android phones now have the capability to play high end games and Apples don't, because they wouldn't be getting their cut.

These games have been pre-approved by a ratings board that existed long before the App Store was just an itch in Steve Jobs balls.
    It's just Apple being what they are best at! Cúnts!
    Fúck them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

I see Madden 2021 won't be released on Stadia the same day as other consoles (25th August). Not sure what's causing this - bought stadia for F12020 and Madden basically. Looking like a "Winter 2020" release.

franglan wrote: »
    I see Madden 2021 won't be released on Stadia the same day as other consoles (25th August). Not sure what's causing this - bought stadia for F12020 and Madden basically. Looking like a "Winter 2020" release.

Devs have to do a lot of work to make it compatible with Stadia.

Anyone tried the new Bomberman R Battle Royale game on Stadia? 64 player Bomberman looks like great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

EmmaGray wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Does stadia make sense or better get one of the new consoles?

How long is a piece of string?! Really depends on your own needs/uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hey guys,

It's still early days for stadia and it hasn't been setting things a light so far. Best to put your money on another console.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Depends on what you're looking for.
    I tend to not have as much time to sit in front of the TV at home to play games. The ability to be able to play big games on my phone, laptop or tablet without having to have the latest and best piece of kit is huge for me.
    I also like not having to be in another subscription plan for something. There is a subscription option available but it's not necessary in my opinion.

I've had my Xbox One sitting under the TV for the last few years doing nothing.
    Wouldn't dream of starting a big open world game on it because I'd have little to no time to play it. Meanwhile I've put about 20 hours in the last few weeks into Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Stadia, split between 10 hours at work on office PC, about 3 or 4 hours on Samsung phone and the rest on my big screen tv in living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

So I cancelled my subscription. I just wasn't using it enough. The games library was small and expensive. I have a Playstation so I signed up for Playstation Now while it's on offer. Has many of the same games included. Sure, I won't exactly be playing COD or Destiny on PN Now but for me it's the better option.

I think Stadia proved that this would work if end-users have the speed. It will be interesting to see where Sony and Microsoft go with this.

I cancelled my subscription months ago but only because the games included with it didn't interest me. Having a blast playing the games i bought on the platform though still. The fact you don't need to be subscribed to use the service is one of the biggest advantages to me.

I wonder will many newcomers tryout Stadia now given that Immortals is getting an exclusive playable demo that requires no signup to Stadia Pro, just a Gmail account.

Stadia itself is free anyway now.
    You just need to sign in with Gmail and buy a game!
    They even offer you €10 off your first purchase, so they are literally paying you to start using the service.
    The Pro offering has 26 games to claim and use now for €9.99 per month, if you want to sign up, but there's no requirement.

They just need to market it 75 times better than they do right now :D

I hope that demo does bring new users by, because it deserves to be a contender in my mind :)

For anyone interested, there's a free 3 month Pro subscription code available to anyone who uses revolut banking app. Just go to the rewards section in the revolut app and in the search bar type Stadia.
    You can be a new or existing customer, doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭wassie

Great stuff - thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

For anyone interested, there's a free 3 month Pro subscription code available to anyone who uses revolut banking app. Just go to the rewards section in the revolut app and in the search bar type Stadia.
    You can be a new or existing customer, doesn't matter.

Thanks for that. Now I don't feel like I have to complete Red Dead Redemption 2 during my free months trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Now I don't feel like I have to complete Red Dead Redemption 2 during my free months trial.

Red dead isn't a pro game so if you have bought it it's yours you can play it at 1080p with out a stadia subscription.
    Not all games are available as part of the Pro subscription, a select few similar to PlayStation plus

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/YUX3trjOJgc

This new Stadia ad explains everything pretty clearly. Pity it wasn't around 11 months ago.

Advertisement