Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Where is the oldest, still working, lightbulb located, and how old is it? Also, what is the Phoebus Cartel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

New Home wrote: »
    Icons?

(I also owe a question from before, sorry...).

No.

Where is the oldest, still working, lightbulb located, and how old is it? Also, what is the Phoebus Cartel?

Not very precise answers but the bulb is in a US Fire Station (possibly California) is about 120 years old and the cartel set an agreed redundancy for light bulbs because sales were falling due to bulbs lasting too long.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Next question, please, Srameen. :)

As for the hagiographer, my next guess is that if he doesn't paint them, he writes about them (saints, that is).

• Advertisement

As for the hagiographer, my next guess is that if he doesn't paint them, he writes about them (saints, that is).

That's it. A biographer of saints or devour people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

or devour people.

I hope he says grace first, given his line of work.

I really hate autocorrect at times. :D
    IrishZeus wrote: »
    I hope he says grace first, given his line of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

What age do I need to be to contribute to this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hmmm there's a question we can't google the answer to!

63?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

honeybear wrote: »
    What age do I need to be to contribute to this thread?

If you don't believe me read some of the gaga contributions.

feargale wrote: »

There's no wonder its gone quiet round here.

edit - I saw that ninja edit!

Who you calling gaga? :D

Ok, I'll throw in a question, smallpox is one of only two diseases to have been declared eradicated - what is the other?

looksee wrote: »
    Ok, I'll throw in a question, smallpox is one of only two diseases to have been declared eradicated - what is the other?

Malaria, falsely as it transpired

Nope

Honeybear please feel free to join in. There are no age rules, just, of course, provided you are respectful to your elders and mind your manners and wipe your feet before you come in....:D

Polio? But only in certain parts of the world, IIRC.

No, not polio.

Maybe a little lateral thinking on this one would help...

Rickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Scurvy

• Advertisement

No and No.

Maybe a little lateral thinking on this one would help...

Vertigo?

Ok this one seems to have fizzled out. The other eradicated disease is Rinderpest - its not a human disease but it is/was a disease. I'll try and come up with another question, though someone owes one I think?

Sowwy, still thinking... BRB.

Ok this one seems to have fizzled out. The other eradicated disease is Rinderpest - its not a human disease but it is/was a disease. I'll try and come up with another question, though someone owes one I think?

Didn't the WHO claim in the 1960s that malaria was eradicated? Or that the mosquito had been rendered extinct? Is my memory playing tricks with me?

feargale wrote: »
    Didn't tge WHO claim in the 1960s that malaria was eradicated? Or that the mosquito had been rendered extinct? Is my memory playing tricks with me?

If they did they were wrong - we were in Africa in malarial areas at the end of the 60s and it was certainly not eradicated. And there are still plenty of mozzies around, both malarial and otherwise.

Edit, ah, the WHO declared some 23 or so countries malaria free in the 60s and early 70s, but then the chloroquine that was used for malaria protection and cure became ineffective and DDT proved to have more problems than it cured so the whole thing was not pursued. Most people did not use chloroquine when we were there - the locals just didn't because they were not accustomed to using it/ couldn't afford it, and most ex-pats worked on the principle that if you took it regularly there was nothing to treat you with when you got malaria. I was a mozzy buffet but never got malaria, my husband hardly ever got bitten but had one single episode and no more.

If they did they were wrong - we were in Africa in malarial areas at the end of the 60s and it was certainly not eradicated. And there are still plenty of mozzies around, both malarial and otherwise.

Yes obviously they were very wrong, but something tells me they did.

Where's Father Ted parochial house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Where's Father Ted parochial house?

Ennis, Co. Clare!
    Glenquinn house or something its called iirc.

• Advertisement

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Ennis, Co. Clare!
    Glenquinn house or something its called iirc.

Yes, it's in Glenquin, about 22km away from Ennis. Your go, Mrs Doyle. :pac:

Advertisement