Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

Chlorine killed my uncle there, so in his honour, I'll say Chlorine.

YES!! well done. discovered by Karl sheal (spelled wrong) weaponised by Fritz haber and then introduced into the water supply after, which saved thousands or maybe millions of lives killing pathogens!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Beasty wrote: »
    So I guess they were either assassinated, overthrown or died of stagefright when being sworn in. That points towards Latin America or Africa for me, but who and where are the basic facts I'm struggling with:pac:
    Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Yep, you have all the facts there bar the name.

I won't be online much over the next few days, you can have it Beasty.

It was Pedro Lascuráin
    On 19 February 1913, General Victoriano Huerta overthrew Madero. Lascuráin was one of the people who convinced Madero to resign the presidency while he was being held prisoner in the National Palace and claimed that his life was in danger if he refused.

Under the 1857 Constitution of Mexico, the vice-president, the attorney general, the foreign secretary, and the interior secretary stood in line to the presidency. As well as Madero, Huerta had ousted Vice-President José María Pino Suárez and Attorney General Adolfo Valles Baca.[3] To give the coup d'état some appearance of legality, he had Lascuráin, as foreign secretary, assume the presidency, who would then appoint him as his interior secretary, making Huerta next in line to the presidency, and then resign.

The presidency thus passed to Huerta. As a consequence, Lascuráin was president for less than an hour; sources quote figures ranging from 15 to 56 minutes.[4] To date, Lascuráin's presidency is the shortest in history, even briefer than that of Venezuelan politician Diosdado Cabello in 2002.

Huerta called a late-night special session of Congress, and under the guns of his troops, the legislators endorsed his assumption of power. A few days later, Huerta had Madero and Pino Suárez killed. The coup and the events surrounding it became known as La decena trágica ("the tragic ten [days]").

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Wonder if he got a Presidential pension for life? Nice work if you can get it. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Who was the first person to vote in an election from space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Who was the first person to vote in an election from space?

A guy called Wolf (can't recall his first name) from Mir

• Advertisement

A guy called Wolf (can't recall his first name) from Mir

Correct - David Wolf in 1997.

New Zealand was the 1st country to allow women to vote/ grant suffrage.

what was the last to do so?

rusty cole wrote: »

Saudi Arabia.

Although technically, there is still one country where women cannot vote. Name it? :)

rusty cole wrote: »

You're supposed to ask a question when you've got a previous one right. :)

That was probably Saudai Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No harm in a few stray questions, keeps the momentum going :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

OldGoat wrote: »
    Wonder if he got a Presidential pension for life? Nice work if you can get it. :)

Well if the pension were linked to time served it would probably afford him a bag of taytos per annum.

P.S. Is it taytos or taytoes?

Ok I see,

funnily enough I thought it was Switzerland. which is funny because you could legally die there with assistance before you could vote if you were female.
    I'd read that in at least two books before and found it very strange.

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia.

Although technically, there is still one country where women cannot vote. Name it? :)

Vatican. No technical about it.

A follow on. Who is reputed, although sometimes disputed, to have been the shortest serving monarch?

feargale wrote: »
    Vatican. No technical about it.

Correcto

Of anywhere?

A follow on. Who is reputed, although sometimes disputed, to have been the shortest serving monarch?

I doubt it's Lady Jane Grey. She got a few days.
    Louis XVI's son?
    The Hapsburg fella who succeeded Franz Josef and tried to set himself up as king of Hungary after WWI and the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian Empire?

Louis XVI's son. Name and regnal number clinches the deal.

Louis XVI's son. Name and regnal number clinches the deal.

Louis XVII

I would have thought he lived quite a while after his father's execution!

Louis XVII

I would have thought he lived quite a while after his father's execution!

My apologies. You were so near I misdirected. He married Louis XVI's daughter - his cousin.

• Advertisement

My apologies. You were so near I misdirected. He married Louis XVI's daughter - his cousin.

We seem to be at cross purposes.

Louis XVI was executed 21st January 1793.

Wikipedia:"Louis XVII (27 March 1785 – 8 June 1795), born Louis-Charles, was the younger son of King Louis XVI of France and Queen Marie Antoinette.

There were surely shorter reigns e.g. the aforesaid Lady Jane Grey.

We seem to be at cross purposes.

Louis XVI was executed 21st January 1793.

Wikipedia:"Louis XVII (27 March 1785 – 8 June 1795), born Louis-Charles, was the younger son of King Louis XVI of France and Queen Marie Antoinette.

There were surely shorter reigns e.g. the aforesaid Lady Jane Grey.

We are. This person reigned for minutes and married the daughter of Louis XVI.

We are. This person reigned for minutes and married the daughter of Louis XVI.

Ok. I have it.

Louis Antoine of France, Duke of Angoulême (6 August 1775 – 3 June 1844) was the eldest son of Charles X of France and the last Dauphin of France from 1824 to 1830. He was technically King of France and Navarre for less than 20 minutes[1] before he himself abdicated, due to his father's abdication during the July Revolution in 1830. He never reigned over the country, but after his father's death in 1836, he was the legitimist pretender as Louis XIX.

Thanks.

Phew! That's it. Well done.

Phew! That's it. Well done.

Now I'm not sure if I have played myself out of the obligation to post a question, or if I'm in the same position as Australia's women footballers last night who were deemed winners despite the Brazilian opposition having been erroneously denied a penalty.

Shocking lack of imagination from the French, calling all their kings Louis. Anyway, its an answer (we all knew it was cogged ;) ) so you're up feargale!

looksee wrote: »
    Shocking lack of imagination from the French, calling all their kings Louis. Anyway, its an answer (we all knew it was cogged ;) ) so you're up feargale!
    Heinrich LXXII, Prince Reuss of Lobenstein and Ebersdorf beats them hands down though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Heinrich LXXII, Prince Reuss of Lobenstein and Ebersdorf beats them hands down though.

I was just about to say that!

:pac::pac::pac:

Quick one.

Who wrote Moby Dick?

Herman Melville

I'm trying to think of one. Later. Go ahead somebody.

• Advertisement

Herman Melville

I'm trying to think of one. Later. Go ahead somebody.

That was answered on 4th April!!!

:confused:

Advertisement