Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what time will you be back at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

week 10- a great end to a great 3 weeks of training..

Was going off plan this week cause of Trim, no problem doing so as I feel I need some all out racing in training block just to know I'm faster than the slow miles!!

Tuesday: 6 miles with some strides*6- avg pace for the session was 10 min miles, no ill effects from the weekends first 20 miler.

Wednesday: moved the Thursday commute of 11 miles to Wednesday. Avg pace 10 min miles- no issue with the run, really enjoying these, they break up the week and I get my mileage in.

Took a few days off, work etc just ran 4 miles on Saturday to keep the legs loose for Trim. Had thought about applying fake than as I was wearing a singlet but thought better of it :D

Sunday: Race day!

I'll be honest I was absolutely buzzing for this race, I like the course and it is well organised and gets a good crowd.

Got there a bit late so very little of a warm up before heading to start line and stalking the sub80 balloons/pacers.

Mile 1- after a sharp left and another soon after we got out of the country roads. It was still a fair bit bunched up but nothing to worry about. The pacers told us their race plan (sound guys, Maurice and AN Other!). One was going straight 8:00 miles and the other was going faster for the first 5 miles but both should finish about 79:30. Someone mentioned that they were probably borderline 80 and would hang on for as long as they could.....this was my exact same plan! The mile itself flew by, a bit pacey at 7:51...no problem, the pacers have got this sorted.

Mile 2- was finding my stride now, a bit of people traffic but no issue. Pacer was very convincing that we were bang on track - the faster split pacer pulled away and I stayed with 8:00 min pacer. Plenty of chat. Wind wasn't really an issue- 7:58- bang on!

Mile 3- I knew when we got to Dunderry at mile 4 it's a hard left again I'd have an idea of how things were going. Mile 3 was just spent easing along with the pacer, steady and in control of myself. 7:49- pacey again.

Mile 4-5: these miles came and went. I had felt good and so decided to catch the "faster" pacer as soon as we left Dunderry. He was only about 50 yards away so it wasn't to far to reach. The climb to mile 5 and the highest point of the course was decent, not too bad but you could see the climb in front of you. Splits: 7:52 and 7:58. Still felt in control,was easing along, the same familiar faces around me, all good. Had a bottle of water from the first water station and took some sips.

Mile 6: was lovely and warmed up now, I'll be honest I felt like the dog's bollox in the singlet now, all the paranoia was gone....I'm racing now! Plenty of guidance from the pacer now, "ease up the rolling hills, we will catch the pace on the other side" felt great hearing this, a nice shot of self belief. Pace was 7:51.

Mile 7: the rolling hills were still rolling, was aware I was pushing it now, pace was 8:03, but once I was beside the pacer then I'm in control. Pacer was asking us to bunch in as the wind was blowing, which was great advice....except I'm 6ft 2 and was giving everyone else some shelter.....d'oh!!! 8:03- no problem I've a buffer banked already.

Mile 8: pacer was chatting away,and I was running away, legs felt tired but nothing to worry about, everything was going nicely, tough but nicely! Split was 7:56!

"Ok guys, you got this, I going to ease off now and let the other pacer catch up with me, you guys head off and you will be fine"

WAIT WHA???? BUT!!!!

That doubt lasted about 5 seconds and I realised I was actually grand and I felt strong!!!

Let's get this done now!!!

Mile 9: 7:42- I'm flying it, legs are strong, pace was good, finish line nearly there. I'VE GOT THIS. I wouldn't say I was enjoying it but the hard work was done in my head! Passing people now.

Mile 10: the only complaint I have about trim is the right turn back into the industrial estate, it feels like it lasts about 3 miles but is only half a mile, if that at all. I'd been caught mentally by this last year....it ain't happening this time. Pace was motoring now, know I had to keep some for that right turn and beyond. GO GO GO!!!! Checked the watch and thought, I need to get faster as I saw the gun time on the scaffolding.....I didn't start on the gun time ye big ejit!!!! Kept going, hi 5 to the DBRC coach...I Shouted at him "sub 80 baby" I don't think he realised the significance!!!

Last mile split was 7:33!

Smashed it: 1:18:51- chip time!!!

A massive confidence booster, massive!!

Onwards and upwards again now.

Went back to the hall for cake....lots of cake, met L after the race...great to finally meet her.

I'm off out for the super bowl tonight... A late night ahead but I don't care cause I'm a sub 80 runner now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant run today F.....must have been all that golf chat in the car that had you late!

C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats Fran. Delighted for you after all that consistent training.
    Great confidence boost for Manchester. Sub 4 you got this!

Who ya on tonight? Mahones or Grappollo?
    Hoping Jimmy does it with the feint Patriots link!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Well done F, really well run with a great increase in pace for the last 2 miles. Agree with J regarding the sub 4 in Manchester, in the bag.

Will stay up for the Superbowl as well tonight but not sure who I want to win. Quite an evenly balanced final

Brilliant run today F.....must have been all that golf chat in the car that had you late!

C

Cheers C- - good to meet you today, it’s a very small world isint it!

Paddy wouldn’t let us talk about Utd....so Golf chat was the only option.

• Advertisement

Congrats Fran. Delighted for you after all that consistent training.
    Great confidence boost for Manchester. Sub 4 you got this!

Who ya on tonight? Mahones or Grappollo?
    Hoping Jimmy does it with the feint Patriots link!

Cheers J
    I really don’t mind, both QB’s are great....so it will hopefully be a shoot out.

Treviso wrote: »
    Well done F, really well run with a great increase in pace for the last 2 miles. Agree with J regarding the sub 4 in Manchester, in the bag.

Will stay up for the Superbowl as well tonight but not sure who I want to win. Quite an evenly balanced final

Thanks T- and congrats to you too.

....maybe the Chiefs cause of what J just wrote!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great racing F. That's another milestone out of the way. Keep them coming :)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great racing F. That's another milestone out of the way. Keep them coming :)

Thanks S- appreciate that. Next stop is Lusk half in 3 weeks, not sure if 1:45 is there but I’ll give it a good rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Super result F! Nice decision to back yourself to push ahead to the faster pacer, then drive it on again for the last 2 miles. A great confidence builder by the sounds of it.

I'm on the Super Bowl buzz too... gonna be wrecked by 3!! Don't really mind who wins, but slightly leaning towards KC... Mahomes is just so great to watch. Plus, don't want the 9ers joining the Pats on 6!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Well done F, super racing. All the other time milestones will follow shortly. You should be getting very excited for the marathon.
    Enjoy the night out, 49ers all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Well done again F. Lovely to chat with you today. Delighted you got your time, so well deserved. You're gonna rock Manchester!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Brilliant racing. Huge congrats on the PB! That has to be a nice confidence booster for Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant racing and PB! Gotta love ticking off those big milestone times, well done!

Week 11-recovery week!

Monday: Super Bowl hangover.......I nearly died!!

Tuesday: still hungover but got a 7 mile GA at 10 min pace run in...legs felt grand after Trim.

Wednesday: 10.5 miles run home from work with 5*800 meters at 7:30 pace. A lovely tough run home, the fast bits made it fly by.

Friday was supposed to be 5 mile recovery but took the evening off...smothering with a head cold which ain't shifting.

Saturday was 7 miles with 8*100meter strides....managed not to get soaked on this one....painted the kitchen....I definetly prefer running.

Sunday: the plan was 14 miles but with the weather the way it was that morning we went to the cinema (saw Jumanji, it’s ****e!) instead and I had intended to run that evening. The weather was fairly crap so only did 6 miles...nothing to worry about as there's still loads of miles to be run.

So a nice low mileage of 31 miles for the week....next (this!) week is 54 miles.

The plan is ticking along nicely....only 8 weeks to go till the race. Still buzzing after Trim and another race is on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Week 11-recovery week!

Monday: Super Bowl hangover.......I nearly died!!

Tuesday: still hungover but got a 7 mile GA at 10 min pace run in...legs felt grand after Trim.

Wednesday: 10.5 miles run home from work with 5*800 meters at 7:30 pace. A lovely tough run home, the fast bits made it fly by.

Friday was supposed to be 5 mile recovery but took the evening off...smothering with a head cold which ain't shifting.

Saturday was 7 miles with 8*100meter strides....managed not to get soaked on this one....painted the kitchen....I definetly prefer running.

Sunday: the plan was 14 miles but with the weather the way it was that morning we went to the cinema (saw Jumanji, it’s ****e!) instead and I had intended to run that evening. The weather was fairly crap so only did 6 miles...nothing to worry about as there's still loads of miles to be run.

So a nice low mileage of 31 miles for the week....next (this!) week is 54 miles.

The plan is ticking along nicely....only 8 weeks to go till the race. Still buzzing after Trim and another race is on the horizon.

Well done on a great week of running F. You have a lovely relaxed but committed attitude to your training.

You mentioned going from 31 miles last week to 54 miles this week. Please don't think I'm criticising :o ,I'm asking more from a learning perspective, but is it risky to jump that many miles in a week?

Can't believe Jumanji is awful. I enjoyed the first one so much!

Thanks L, yeah you’re absolutely right I shouldn’t be doing it, it’s a big increase week to week, but can’t be helped (I lost 8 miles cause of storm Ciara and 5 miles cause of a head cold) and hopefully there’s no risk to the Marathon....in my defence, it’s at varied paces and easy is “easy” pace.

The following week is a race taper week so it’s a cut back week mileage wise.

Week 12: Most miles in a week of the plan so far!

After last week's Storm Ciara I needed to make sure storm Dennis didn't mess this week's plans around so I adjusted the plan and started on Monday rather than Tuesday. This meant I would be running 5 days in a row following last weekend, and that I would be running the 20 mile run Saturday morning.....or so I thought! It's not ideal to run 5 days in a row but as last Sunday was 8 miles less than planned cause of Ciara I felt it wouldn't be too bad on the body.

Monday: Junior athletics club was cancelled cause of the storm so I headed out after work, plan was 7m recovery but only did 6.5m, no real reason why, maybe I knew the beast of a session in around 12 hours was on my mind, any ways I just got to a certain point and decided to turn around and go home! Avg pace was 10:39- a nice recovery pace.

Tuesday: plan was a lactate threshold (it sounds like I know what I am talking about) session of 11 miles with 7m at HM pace-this is a beast of a session. Out nice and early for this one- last time I ran this I was able to do laps of the fields, this time I had to plan a route and was kinda struggling to find one without having to do loops or go back roads.

I'll be honest I really loved this session, and was buzzing when I had it done, cause of work, I dropped one of the cool down miles off at the end so in total it was just 10 miles.

Mile 1: 10:54
    Mile 2: 10:29
    Mile 3: 8:17- was a bit worried when I saw this as I was fighting a little to hold the pace
    Mile 4: 8:13- finding the groove now
    Mile 6: 8:00
    Mile 7: 7:58- now I'm sucking diesel!
    Mile 8: 7:57
    Mile 9: 7:58
    Mile 10: 7:57
    Mile 11: 9:20- always struggle to slow down after these sessions!

As I said I really enjoyed it.

Wednesday: plan was rest but I ran Thursday session early, the plan was 12 miles at GA but I did a 10.5 mile run mute at GA of 10min mile instead. It was a tough run, felt very tired after it. My watch put this into Tuesday for some mad reason, no idea why.

Thursday: rest day.

Friday: was watching the weather all week, I don't mind getting wet out running but if I could avoid the wind and the rain then I was going to do it. Got the all clear from Herself that I could get the 20 miles run on Valentine's Day...I know I know...I'm really pushing it. The girls headed to McD's and I headed out for 20 miles after work.

Made sure I was nicely hydrated Thursday and Friday, got home from work about a hour early, had a small bowl of pasta, took one Maurten gel then and took another with me to take at half way.

My route was going to be home to town and back out again- again I think this a psychological thing, if I got to 10 miles, heading back out on my normal runmute route, I'd have milestones/stages that I can tick off and make the run an easier block of milestones. The 10 mile point was Quinn's pub in Drumcondra, so that's the following stages:

Quinn's to St Patrick's college to Whitehall Garda station to Airport chipper to Omni to Sportslink to Kielys pub to Airside to Swords castle to Applewood community centre to Home......it's bloody madness ain't it!!!!

The other change to this 20 miler was to go faster on the last 10 (thanks T for reminding me to re read the book) so I went at about 10:20 avg pace and the last 10 at about 9:30- a few slippages but happy with the effort and pace. Avg pace for the 20 miles was 10:05. Obviously tired when I was finished, had some food and a couple of glasses of red.

Sunday: 4 mile recovery run, plan was 5m but Herself is in work this morning so that she has the mid term off.

Total miles for the week 51- feeling strong

Next weeks weekly mileage plan is 50 which includes a 8k to 15k race Saturday and a 17 mile long run Sunday. I have Lusk half marathon on Saturday, so I'll plan to do around 30 miles with maybe a 10 mile run Sunday after the race- thoughts?

I do like to have 2 full rest days pre race so I will stick to that plan.

Race plan on Saturday is to have a crack at 1:45- which is 8:00 min miles or better. I'll give it a shot, no pressure....but it's the least I expect :D:D

A few factors that could impact it are mid marathon plan tiredness, weather and apparently there are "rolling hills". Not sure if I should skip the S&C session on Tuesday?

Oh and it's 7 weeks to Manchester!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Fair play F on that 7 mile LT and 20 miler in one week - I remember how difficult that week was.

One thing you could do is swap next week's plan with the one after (even just the weekend parts). I believe you have a 18m w 14m MPR in 2 weeks time, so the HM would be an ideal one to do for that (I did the Charleville HM for it myself).

Treviso wrote: »
    Fair play F on that 7 mile LT and 20 miler in one week - I remember how difficult that week was.

One thing you could do is swap next week's plan with the one after (even just the weekend parts). I believe you have a 18m w 14m MPR in 2 weeks time, so the HM would be an ideal one to do for that (I did the Charleville HM for it myself).

Thanks T- I’ll have a look at that, although that 18/14 mp is a session not to be messed with either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭py

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Not sure if I should skip the S&C session on Tuesday?

Get it done. This is not your target race and your muscles will have time to recover before the race this week. Best of luck.

py wrote: »
    Get it done. This is not your target race and your muscles will have time to recover before the race this week. Best of luck.

Cheers- Life is getting in the way so no S&C tonight- decision made for me!

....It feels like a target race, it’s not THE target race but I still want to get my target on Saturday.

There are certain markers/targets (a poster put theirs in the sub 4 thread post DCM ‘19) that I want personally to tick off to feel a degree of confidence going to Manchester. There’s no guarantee it will happen on the day in Manchester obviously, but Saturdays race is another marker that I’m trying to reach my target in.

Week 13: Race week!

Summary: it's a purple patch I'm in, there's no doubt about it, just need one more performance. I feel very lucky to be surviving these weeks relatively unscathed. I backed myself on Saturday from start to finish, and the legs and mind delivered.

Have been following David Goggins (not everyone's cup of tea!) on Twitter the last while, and a video he put up last week on resilience on long runs really got into my head.

Monday: rest day
    Tuesday: plan was 8miles with 5*600m at 7:15 pace- a very decent session. Had a chance to run this Tuesday evening as I knew I wasn't going to make the S&C session. Hit each 7:15 marker and was very happy how it went.

Wednesday: plan was 12 miles but a runmute was done instead with the usual 10.6 miles. The elevation on this I feel looks after that missing mile or so. I was feeling wrecked after this one, really drained.

Thursday and Friday were rest days (Friday was supposed to have 5 mile recovery run but skipped it). Crazy busy in work Thursday and a day off Friday. Still felt wrecked, felt a head cold coming on, and body was aching. We went up to W5 in Belfast Friday, (well worth a visit but it's currently under refurb works so I'd wait till the summer).
    Girls had a great day, I got to sit/drive for 3 hours so happy days as a race prep strategy. Went to bed at 9:30 both Thursday and Friday hoping to help recovery, felt much better Friday evening. Hydrated really well Thursday and Friday.

A few what's app chats Friday evening, a mate saying nah it's definetly not a pb course tomorrow with those hills.....I'm too stubborn!

Saturday: race day started about 4:30am, rain and wind lashing the Windows woke us both up...."bring armbands" was the sympathetic jibe I got from my wife.

Had a decent breakfast, collected by Eamonn at 8, and got a quality parking spot 20 yards from race "HQ". Got our numbers, did a quick hello to a few heads and got in a small warm up. It was Baltic and blowing a fair wind....."at least it's not raining". Race briefing over we head to start line.

GAME FACE MOFO!

I was gunning for this, I ain't leaving without a pb! Plan was a steady 8min miles for miles 1-10 and then let loose the legs to get home. A small out and back and then two loops of Lusk back roads...the hills are at miles 4 and 10.

Race Report:

Mile 1: found my race pace fairly quick, stayed steady and composed, eased into it lovely. Wind wasn't an issue so far. Pace was 8:03- nice start.

Mile 2: it's a small enough race so found my space fairly quick, out onto the back roads, a few undulations nothing to worry about, feel in control now, happy. Pace was 7:51...eh ok, so do I ease off or stay with it now...lets go with it.

Mile 3: legs are nice and loose now, wind is catching me a bit, nothing major, a cross wind is being blocked by hedges. Pace was 7:50....oh it's on now baby!!!

Mile 4: there's a small turn on this mile and it's then you can see the long climb in front of you, wind is picking up now. I'm ok with it, ease off the pace as I climb, don't force it up the hill, there's a lovely downhill waiting for me at the top. There's a sharp left turn where you go climbing up again, it's a filthy climb and the wind is now completely in my face...."I'm a gritty mofo" now....head down and get to the top. Pace was 8:09....delighted with that...thought I'd lose more...brilliant. Downhill now for 3 miles....love it!

Mile 5: a gorgeous part of the run, lovely open fields.....except when it's windy and cold....bloody hell its blowing in my face in the down hill...hadn't expected that one. Pace was 7:53... Back on plan.

Mile 6: fell in with a similar crowd, no one looked to be in pain yet. I was feeling the acid in the legs "I'm a gritty mofo"...the doubt passes. Pace was 7:49. Took a Maurten gel and a bottle of water at the station.

Mile 7: just repeat what you just did, easy! "If you are dehydrated then just lick your lips and get sh*t done". Started to pass people now, into the second loop now....get it done....But 1:47 again ain't too bad I suppose considering the weather and cold....took those thoughts out to the fields of north county Dublin and shot them!! Pace was 7:52

Mile 8: make the pace count the next two miles before the hills and you've got this. Can't remember looking at my watch much on this mile, just head down and running. Pace was 7:48

Mile 9: can't remember, everything was just smooth, pace was 7:40.

Mile 10: it bloody hurt the second time, kept my eyes up front and looking ahead of my, found a red jersey in front of me about 100 yards and kept looking at him climb and told myself if he's still climbing then keep your sh*t together and climb too. The wind was really up on the second lap. Pace was 8:01....brilliant I've lost nothing even though it felt like I was running around 10 min miles...get this job done now.

Miles 11 & 12 were head down miles again, downhill into a gust, make the most of those spurts where you can. Somewhere around here I got a bit of a fright as I hadn't realised a runner was in behind me for shelter here...I never get sheltered so I upped the pace and see if she wanted to keep up to keep her shelter...she dropped off. Pace for these was 7:51 and 7:41...I knew I had this now.

Mile 13: how much of a pb did I want, just under the 1:45 or a chunk??? I know I'd already done the work for the pb but I wanted more now..was motoring along beside another runner...we had been together for previous 3 miles, she was tall too and wasn't the runner looking for shelter...she pulled off and I did my best to stay with her but she was gone...but that's ok, this is the last mile..a bonus. Pace was 7:35.... My fastest mile split....love it!!

Into the clubhouse car park for the finish...and done...1:43:xx...washed down with a can of coke and a mars bar...love those EOI Race goody bags.

Loved everyone minute of it even the tough 1/2 mile up the hill on the second loop...I went for a pb and got one!!

Just short of a 4 min pb on the 1:47 set in Ratoath in September 2019. Marathon training blocks are getting me some amount of pb's for all those slow easy mile runs....the plans work.

Sunday: a 9 mile recovery run at 10:25 pace- wanted to do this to keep the mileage up week to week.

So that's it now, I've a 5k park run to race in a few weeks but it's all about Manchester in 6 weeks now. A lovely 18 miles with 14 at MP next weekend....but what's my MP now??? Do I stay conservative with a 9:07, or start looking more aggressively?

Plans have already being made for post Manchester...1:40 in Dublin race series half looks like a juicy challenge to get stuck into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I was looking forward to this race report a lot. Just superb, you're really running strong at the moment and long may it last! Congrats on the excellent new PB, so well deserved.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I was looking forward to this race report a lot. Just superb, you're really running strong at the moment and long may it last! Congrats on the excellent new PB, so well deserved.

Thanks very much V

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Superb racing and report. For what it's worth I think you're in a position to think a lot more than 9:07 miles...

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Superb racing and report. For what it's worth I think you're in a position to think a lot more than 9:07 miles...

Thanks S-once bitten, twice shy! I'm probably going to give the 14mp mile run next weekend an aggressive pace and see how it feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's super racing F... great determination and self-belief on show... massive congrats! It's great to see your confidence growing race by race.

FWIW, I ran 1:43 (Clonmel) and 1:44 (Race Series) half's in the build up to DCM (3:47), so if that's anything to go by then you're gonna smash that 4 hour barrier in some style.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Absolutely delighted that the race went so well for you. Great report. Congrats on the PB. I am excited to see how you do in Manchester. You will smash it!

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    That's super racing F... great determination and self-belief on show... massive congrats! It's great to see your confidence growing race by race.

FWIW, I ran 1:43 (Clonmel) and 1:44 (Race Series) half's in the build up to DCM (3:47), so if that's anything to go by then you're gonna smash that 4 hour barrier in some style.

Thanks A, the head is spinning reading that and being put in the same potential bracket as 3:47

Advertisement