Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi 9 - snapdragon 855 - 449 amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Sono

Nforce wrote: »
    Works fine with the AOLANDER Screen Protector that I picked up from Amazon.

Good to hear that’s what I bought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Sync wrote: »
    I haven't, I'm just about used to it as-is now so I'll stick with it. Absolutely loving the gestures too I must say.

Yeah gestures will work with other launchers too.
    The Poco launcher is almost the same. But just a little more user friendly imho. Plus it gets updated regularly on the play store.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

biebiebie wrote: »
    Yeah gestures will work with other launchers too.
    The Poco launcher is almost the same. But just a little more user friendly imho. Plus it gets updated regularly on the play store.

I'll give this a try over the weekend, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭enryb12

How is everyone getting on with this that made the purchase? It's currently 448.99 on Amazon Spain and very tempted to pull the trigger.

I was looking at S10 and p30 pro like alot of people but just can't justify the price of them.

My main concern would the software and how smooth it runs. Coming from OP3t.

Cheers folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

No regrets here, very happy with the phone.

• Advertisement

Looking for some opinions from Mi 9 owners please :)

What's the battery like in reality on your phone?

To me it's one of the cons of the phone, on paper at least. And that would put me off getting this phone.

I mean 3,300mAh sounds a little meagre by today's standards (4000mAh Xiaomi standards).

I presume for more light daily usage (browsing, WhatsApp, YouTube etc) it lasts a day?

In particular I'd be keen to hear from any gamers about the battery.
    Does anyone go hard in their phone during a day's usage and have to recharge before the days is up?
    E.g. playing games like PUBG

I've had phones before where battery was similar on paper i.e. underwhelming.
    With light usage it would last a day. But push it hard and it would show it's shortcoming.

Does anyone use the wireless charging?

BTW I do realise this isn't pitched as a gaming phone. But that Snapdragon 855 is perfect for it!
    And otherwise I really like the look of the Mi 9.

Some other shortcoming I'd like to hear opinions on please.
    * No headphone jack... For music lovers is this a pain?
    * "Only" 64GB on the €449 model and no SD slot to expand (I would have preferred 128GB base model)

Don't get me wrong, no phone is perfect. But I do like to hear about the reality of the cons from real life every day owners, and not just 24 hour reviewers.

I've had the phone just over a month now, so I'll try to answer some of the below...
    Looking for some opinions from Mi 9 owners please :)

What's the battery like in reality on your phone?
    It's pretty good, lasts the full day easily. I play a few games in the evening on it, and no issues. Generally I seem to get ~5 hours of screen on time

To me it's one of the cons of the phone, on paper at least. And that would put me off getting this phone.
    It charges pretty fast also when needed, I do plan to eventually get the 27w wired charger... but the one that comes with it does me fine.

I mean 3,300mAh sounds a little meagre by today's standards (4000mAh Xiaomi standards).
    I don't know enough to really break this down, but seemingly the management applied by Xiaomi is excellent.

I presume for more light daily usage (browsing, WhatsApp, YouTube etc) it lasts a day?
    Easily, and longer... if I wasn't gaming I would easily get 1 1/2 days out of it.

In particular I'd be keen to hear from any gamers about the battery.
    Does anyone go hard in their phone during a day's usage and have to recharge before the days is up?
    E.g. playing games like PUBG
    Don't play PUBG so I'm useless on this one for you.

I've had phones before where battery was similar on paper i.e. underwhelming.
    With light usage it would last a day. But push it hard and it would show it's shortcoming.

Does anyone use the wireless charging?
    I have the wireless charger, it's pretty cool - but I use the wired one more

BTW I do realise this isn't pitched as a gaming phone. But that Snapdragon 855 is perfect for it!
    And otherwise I really like the look of the Mi 9.

Some other shortcoming I'd like to hear opinions on please.
    * No headphone jack... For music lovers is this a pain?
    I have a set of BT bose, so wasn't an issue for me.
    * "Only" 64GB on the €449 model and no SD slot to expand (I would have preferred 128GB base model)
    I use google one for all my photos so they don't take up storage on me
    Don't get me wrong, no phone is perfect. But I do like to hear about the reality of the cons from real life every day owners, and not just 24 hour reviewers.

You didn't mention the camera, so maybe you don't mind... but that was what drew me (along with the 449 price tag) - and it really is an amazing piece of kit for the money.

Cheers Sync.
    I believe that SD 855 is very power efficient so that should help matters. For example the 855 Samsung S10 is supposed to be superior to Exynos.

Yes the camera does matter. It seems to be well reviewed. So photos are of good quality then?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭enryb12

You didn't mention the camera, so maybe you don't mind... but that was what drew me (along with the 449 price tag) - and it really is an amazing piece of kit for the money.

Is the Wide Angle Camera good? I was unsure of some samples I seen and if it looked "stretched".

Also, where did you order from? Just wondering about the charger being an EU plug and having to get a converter. Thanks!

I presume if ordered from Amazon Spain it'll be 2 pin?
    I bought a converter from Argos for my "German" Moto. Use it with my Redmi too. Absolutely no problems other than being slightly more bulky. Perfect when on holidays in Europe though!

• Advertisement

Wide angle camera is pretty good, but the closer you are to the object the more stretched it is - and I'm not a huge fan of using it. The other cameras are just excellent though, getting some really great results with it. I ordered from Amazon spain. MI Uk are selling it now too, but it's £499... vs €449 on amazon.

It's 2 pin yes, but worth getting an adapter and using the one that comes with it - as it's a quick charger.

you can get an adapter in one of the discount shops like dealz for 1.50

One more thing has come to mind, the speaker on the phone is just about ok. My old OP3 had a better sound imo, doesn't bother me as I generally use my headphones but that definitely feels like a weak area.

€455 for 128GB. Tempting!

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-9-6gb-128gb-dual-sim-sim-free-unlocked-piano-black.html

64GB with Amazon aftersales.
    Or 128GB from Eglobal Central.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Honorbuy EU would be worth checking out. Better reviews than eglobal.

€455 for 128GB. Tempting!

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-9-6gb-128gb-dual-sim-sim-free-unlocked-piano-black.html

64GB with Amazon aftersales.
    Or 128GB from Eglobal Central.

Thoughts?

I've ordered a few things from eglobal - no issues. some people have experienced a delay if no stock. but the mi 9 has been out a bit now so stock should be ok I imagine.

given no sd card the 128gb is a good deal if you think that you'd need it.

but yes for quicker delivery honorbuy (few days delivery) have 128gb for just over 450 delivered at the moment

https://www.honorbuy.com/1622-xiaomi-mi-9-6gb-128gb-smartphone-english-and-chinese-version-blue.html?search_query=mi+9+128gb&results=757

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Blue 64gb version on Amazon Spain €390 plus €8 delivery

purple €5 extra its fulfilled by Amazon ES so no worries with refunds etc

https://www.amazon.es/eiAmz-Smartphone-Pantalla-Completa-Angular/dp/B07RKMSYXV?f_new=true&tag=kimovil0a-21

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That's very tempting. Was considering a pixel 3a as my oneplus 2 is getting slow as hell but that blows the pixel out of the water spec and feature wise. Surely this would be a no brainer over the pixel?

Do the xiaomis run stock Android?

No they don't run stock, they use MiUi which is a good deal different to stock.
    If you like plenty of options and being able to configure these then you may well like it, otherwise you may not.

The alternative is to unlock it and install a different ROM. Like AOSP
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-9-custom-aosp-gsi-in-display-fingerprint-scanner/amp/[/url

No they don't run stock(*), they use MiUi which is a good deal different to stock.
    If you like plenty of options and being able to configure these then you may well like it, otherwise you may not.

The alternative is to unlock it and install a different ROM. Like AOSP
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-9-custom-aosp-gsi-in-display-fingerprint-scanner/amp/[/url

* Unless you buy the Xiaomi A2 Android One phone (or older A1). A3 won't be too far off either

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cheers, I read a review saying there's a lot of ads in MiUI but I decided to order the phone anyway. Those specs/features for that price is too good to turn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Mickeroo wrote:
    Cheers, I read a review saying there's a lot of ads in MiUI but I decided to order the phone anyway. Those specs/features for that price is too good to turn down.

I'd imagine the ads can be turned off in preferences. I've got a redmi note 5 and have them all turned off.

I'd imagine the ads can be turned off in preferences. I've got a redmi note 5 and have them all turned off.

Yeah someone posted a tutorial to do just that earlier in this thread it seems, so it will be the first thing I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Can someone link me to a blue 64gb version of this that works here. Bout 10 different versions dont know what's what. Snapdragon??? Buying now. Cheers

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Can someone link me to a blue 64gb version of this that works here. Bout 10 different versions dont know what's what. Snapdragon??? Buying now. Cheers

it's the amazon spain link a few post up in the page.

the €390 price is gone . back to €449

For anyone thinking of buying the Mi 9.

For €449 you can now get a free Xiaomi wireless high speed 20W charging set (pad and 2 pin charger) worth €39.99!

https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-Mi-Smartphone-Qualcomm-española/dp/B07S2DWNM4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=mi+9&qid=1558675373&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

This is the item that is bundled free...
    https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-High-Speed-Wireless-Charger/dp/B07RMZ5KJ1/ref=bdl_pop_ttl_B07RMZ5KJ1

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

For anyone thinking of buying the Mi 9.

For €449 you can now get a free Xiaomi wireless high speed 20W charging set (pad and 2 pin charger) worth €39.99!

https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-Mi-Smartphone-Qualcomm-española/dp/B07S2DWNM4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=mi+9&qid=1558675373&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

This is the item that is bundled free...
    https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-High-Speed-Wireless-Charger/dp/B07RMZ5KJ1/ref=bdl_pop_ttl_B07RMZ5KJ1

Good price... But That two pin charger would drive me nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Good price... But That two pin charger would drive me nuts

Its only a USB c charger. Grab an Anker UK/Ireland one instead or install high amp USB twin sockets in the rooms where you want to charge so you can lose the plug and only need cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

6GB/64GB version for €342.99 using code NEUABONNIEREN delivered in Germany.
    https://www.tecobuy.de/de_DE/xiaomi-mi-9-6gb-64gb-dual-sim-ohne-sim-lock-klavier-schwarz.html
    Use mailboxde.com to get it delivered for around €14.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

In terms of a screen protector any recommendations?

Is the tempered glass screen protector a bit OTT? Or would the film screen protector be fine to prevent scratches

https://www.ultimateshield.co.uk/collections/mi-9

Bought the below case as a bit of a disaster with phones. :rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Rugged-Armor-Designed-Xiaomi/dp/B07NMPVP6W

Advertisement