Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi 9 - snapdragon 855 - 449 amazon

Options

Comments

probably the last Xiaomi budget flagship phone. Xiaomi have said that they will be changing their pricing.
    Camera is up with the most expensive phones available (see dxomark)

dxomark ratings - not the be-all-and-end-all but a reasonable indicator.

https://www.dxomark.com/

Huawei Mate 20 Pro

Huawei P20 Pro

Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus

Xiaomi Mi 9

Apple iPhone XS Max

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Has anyone pulled the trigger on this? Very tempted at the price, currently using a Xiaomi Mi A2 - and it's fine... but I'd like a better camera/processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

A friend of mine as the Mi 8 & she loves it, particulary the camera. Based on her recommendation I'd be tempted but doesn't look like it has an sd card slot so would want the 128Gb version I think.

Actually there's the 128Gb version for €458 from an Irish website although is shows as out of stock. Anyone had an dealings with Phones Online as hadn't come across them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Battery seems a little underwhelming at 3300mah.
    Although the Snapdragon 855 chip is said to be energy efficient, so that should help.

Also some dislike miui, although I'm in the other boat.
    If you prefer stock Android then this isn't for you.

As said above 128GB version might be preferable since no SD Card slot.

No 3.5mm headphone jack.

Otherwise a very nice proposition with that Amoled screen , decent camera,
    and 855 Snapdragon chip.
    Oh and also has NFC if that matters to you.

• Advertisement

biebiebie wrote: »
    Battery seems a little underwhelming at 3300mah.
    Although the Snapdragon 855 chip is said to be energy efficient, so that should help.

Also some dislike miui, although I'm in the other boat.
    If you prefer stock Android then this isn't for you.

As said above 128GB version might be preferable since no SD Card slot.

No 3.5mm headphone jack.

Otherwise a very nice proposition with that Amoled screen , decent camera,
    and 855 Snapdragon chip.
    Oh and also has NFC if that matters to you.

I've watched a few videos on the battery - one shows that it's not too far off the S10+, seemingly Xiaomi have great optimisation of the SD chip.

I have a tablet running MIUI and it seems ok, will take a bit of getting used to compared to stock Android, but the specs are really tempting me.
    (Doesn't seem to be available on amazon.es now) :(

Edit again - it was telling me it couldn't ship to US, work VPN... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

I have one a few days now, I put nova on it though as I wasn't a fan of the miui skin. Battery has been very good, it was 100% last night and down to 90% now, the charge speed is amazing though so I wouldn't be to put out if I did have to charge it for 10-15 mins anyway. Would have liked a headphone jack but it comes with an adapter if you really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Looks like the 8/256 transparent but not explorer edition is going on sale for 480 soon

rizzee wrote: »
    Looks like the 8/256 transparent but not explorer edition is going on sale for 480 soon

Is that on Amazon? I pulled the trigger on the 64gb version but it still cost me 460, All my last phones have been 64gb and I never come close to filling them as I use google photos over phone memory so hopefully that will do me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

CSSE09 wrote: »
    I have one a few days now, I put nova on it though as I wasn't a fan of the miui skin. Battery has been very good, it was 100% last night and down to 90% now, the charge speed is amazing though so I wouldn't be to put out if I did have to charge it for 10-15 mins anyway. Would have liked a headphone jack but it comes with an adapter if you really need it.

Did you get yours through Amazon? Is it the global version?

• Advertisement

Sync wrote: »
    Is that on Amazon? I pulled the trigger on the 64gb version but it still cost me 460, All my last phones have been 64gb and I never come close to filling them as I use google photos over phone memory so hopefully that will do me!

Sorry, it's out in approx 3 weeks time, was reading on Gsmarena yesterday I'll try find the link

GBX wrote: »
    Did you get yours through Amazon? Is it the global version?

Yup global version from Amazon Spain, only thing extra you'll need to get is a European plug adapter.

CSSE09 wrote: »
    Yup global version from Amazon Spain, only thing extra you'll need to get is a European plug adapter.

Did shipping take long? Mine says it will be here Tuesday... Does it come with a case or any of that? I may look into a decent wireless charger too

Did shipping take long? Mine says it will be here Tuesday... Does it come with a case or any of that? I may look into a decent wireless charger too

The estimated time amazon gave when ordering was spot on, can't remember how many actual days it was though. It went through a number of amazon hubs, France then to two UK locations before being handed over to an post. It comes with one of those slim silicon type cases, does the job for me I don't think I'll bother swapping it out for now.

Sounds good, that will do until I see a Spigen one or something on Amazon. I'm gonna order the Anker 27W charger too, and possibly pick up the xiaomi 20w wireless pad off aliexpress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭cmac2009

glasso wrote: »
    probably the last Xiaomi budget flagship phone. Xiaomi have said that they will be changing their pricing.
    Camera is up with the most expensive phones available (see dxomark)

What pricing changes have they flagged up? Hope they don't go the way of Samsung/Apple

cmac2009 wrote: »
    What pricing changes have they flagged up? Hope they don't go the way of Samsung/Apple

https://wccftech.com/xiaomi-ceo-mulls-smartphone-price-increase/

basically they have sold phones with next to no margin heretofore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Anyone else pull the trigger the Mi 9? What's the verdict? I've been on the hunt for my next phone a while now and I think I'm down to the Mi 9 and the OnePlus 6T. The Huawei P20 Pro is also on my watchlist but it's much pricier.

That Amazon deal still the best price going around for the Mi 9? I spotted it cheaper on eGlobal but I'm unsure of buying from there.

What's the price difference between Amazon and Eglobal then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

What's the price difference between Amazon and Eglobal then?

Doh, went to check it for you there... I realized it was the SE version that was cheaper. So Amazon Spain still looks to be the best deal.

• Advertisement

And Amazon would be the preferable seller imo.
    So I'd have no hesitation from buying it from them, once you're happy with the phone itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Sono

I’m trying to buy this from amazon Spain, coming in at €464 delivered to ireland, would it be cheaper to use Parcel Motel?

Edit: I see it works out about €10 cheaper using PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Sono

Ordered this anyway form Amazon Spain, thanks OP for the heads up.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Anyone else pull the trigger the Mi 9? What's the verdict? I've been on the hunt for my next phone a while now and I think I'm down to the Mi 9 and the OnePlus 6T. The Huawei P20 Pro is also on my watchlist but it's much pricier.

That Amazon deal still the best price going around for the Mi 9? I spotted it cheaper on eGlobal but I'm unsure of buying from there.

I went for the Mi9 - previous phones being OnePlus3 and Xiaomi Mi A2.

Miui took a few days of getting used to, even now I still swipe up at times trying to find my apps.
    I turned off the buttons and use gestures to get the most out of the big screen, it's really slick after getting used to that.

Phone is super fast, blows the Mi A2 away (which is a budget phone to be fair) - but it feels the same way the OP3 did when it was new. The camera is phenomenal, in good lighting especially it's just fantastic... hard to believe its <€500 for the quality it outputs.

Battery life is good, I wouldn't say it's great - and I also wouldn't say its bad. Charges really fast though which is nice, and I haven't found myself ever needing to charge more than once per day. I normally get 1 1/2 day out of the battery. Fingerprint scanner is good, little finnicky at times so I re-added my prints multiple times and it's smooth since then.

The speakers are ok at best, not very loud - but not something that bothers me as I normally use my headphones (BT, so I haven't used the adapter yet - but BT hasn't dropped on me or given any issues)

One thing that annoyed me was on the spacewalk theme they didn't scrub all of the chinese writing, so on the lockscreen it shows chinese writing with apps, but I just switched themes and it's fine again.

Any other questions on it give me a shout I'll gladly answer.

My main reason for not going OP6T was price & camera reviews

Miui took a few days of getting used to, even now I still swipe up at times trying to find my apps.

Have you tried the Poco launcher?
    Your swipe up for apps will work then.
    Better than the default miui launcher imho.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mi.android.globallauncher

I went for the Mi9 - previous phones being OnePlus3 and Xiaomi Mi A2.

I turned off the buttons and use gestures to get the most out of the big screen, it's really slick after getting used to that.

Phone is super fast, blows the Mi A2 away (which is a budget phone to be fair) - but it feels the same way the OP3 did when it was new. The camera is phenomenal, in good lighting especially it's just fantastic... hard to believe its <€500 for the quality it outputs.

Battery life is good, I wouldn't say it's great - and I also wouldn't say its bad. Charges really fast though which is nice, and I haven't found myself ever needing to charge more than once per day. I normally get 1 1/2 day out of the battery. Fingerprint scanner is good, little finnicky at times so I re-added my prints multiple times and it's smooth since then.

The speakers are ok at best, not very loud - but not something that bothers me as I normally use my headphones (BT, so I haven't used the adapter yet - but BT hasn't dropped on me or given any issues)

One thing that annoyed me was on the spacewalk theme they didn't scrub all of the chinese writing, so on the lockscreen it shows chinese writing with apps, but I just switched themes and it's fine again.

Any other questions on it give me a shout I'll gladly answer.

My main reason for not going OP6T was price & camera reviews

Can you use the in display FP Scanner with a glass protector?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I picked up one of these last week. My first Chinese phone and my first with the MIUI operating system. It's plenty quick at running tasks. Camera is great from what I've seen so far (not tried any low light shots yet) but I've noticed that the images are still being given a HDR processing despite it being disabled in the settings. Tried the Super Slow Motion 960fps and have had mixed results. GCam can be sideloaded on the device but I'm waiting until it's more stable before I try it. Another annoyance is that custom notification sounds are not possible, at least as far as I have tried. Smart unlock doesn't seem to work either. The phone came with a smoke coloured case but I've picked up a Spigen case and a glass screen protector from Amazon in order to protect the phone a little better. Overall, I'm happy with the phone, 64gb storage is a bit small though and if it was available I'd have paid the extra for the 128gb version.

Edit:I forgot to mention that while the EU rom doesn't suffer from the infamous Xiaomi adverts as much as some of the other roms, I still carried out some house cleaning in order to prevent them by following this tutorial and by replacing the Xiaomi apps with their Google equivalents

No idea sorry - not using one.

Have you tried the Poco launcher?
    Your swipe up for apps will work then.
    Better than the default miui launcher imho.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mi.android.globallauncher

I haven't, I'm just about used to it as-is now so I'll stick with it. Absolutely loving the gestures too I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Works fine with the AOLANDER Screen Protector that I picked up from Amazon.

Advertisement