Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭muddle84

naughto wrote: »
    Dont no about that I'd prefer walsh to be still there rather than Joyce.joyce will get them right if giving time and will be a threat to us more so than the rossies

Why do you think Joyce will get them right? He doesn't have a big track record that I'm aware of.

Either way if he doesn't win connacht and progress this year I don't think he will be around much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Dont no about that I'd prefer walsh to be still there rather than Joyce.joyce will get them right if giving time and will be a threat to us more so than the rossies

Kevin Walsh had a knack of beating Mayo in the Connacht championship, did it Sligo and Galway on a number of occasions. If Galway play Mayo in the Connacht final this summer I can't see Galway winning and that will mostly based on Joyce who will likely set the tribesmen up poorly especially in defence.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Another good win. I really like how composed this squad has become. New lads in and the older guys just never seem to panic.
    Think I heard on the podcast that Horan has blooded/used more players than any other manager, or something like that.
    He's going to have a headache come championship.

Ruane has gone up to another level, really strong, commanding and can score. Invaluable really.
    Would worry about the number of goals down the middle we give up.
    Hennelly kickouts are top notch now. Maybe with Clarke gone he has settled more.

Need to get up to Div 1 though, you'd really expect us to have too much in 70 mins for Clare.

Watching Rossies and Galway over the last few weeks I can't see they have improved at all, but could easily be saving themselves for championship time. Walsh is a top baller for Galway, take him out of that team and they will struggle. Joyce been advised to stop spitting into his paws for covid reasons! :D

I see Cian O'neill with Cork! That main gets around!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭HBC08

yop wrote: »
    Another good win. I really like how composed this squad has become. New lads in and the older guys just never seem to panic.
    Think I heard on the podcast that Horan has blooded/used more players than any other manager, or something like that.
    He's going to have a headache come championship.

Ruane has gone up to another level, really strong, commanding and can score. Invaluable really.
    Would worry about the number of goals down the middle we give up.
    Hennelly kickouts are top notch now. Maybe with Clarke gone he has settled more.

Need to get up to Div 1 though, you'd really expect us to have too much in 70 mins for Clare.

Watching Rossies and Galway over the last few weeks I can't see they have improved at all, but could easily be saving themselves for championship time. Walsh is a top baller for Galway, take him out of that team and they will struggle. Joyce been advised to stop spitting into his paws for covid reasons! :D

I see Cian O'neill with Cork! That main gets around!

Re Robbies kickouts,they were very good in the first two games but not great yesterday I thought.
    Horan is doing a great job blooding players but it's glaring that we don't have any full backs (never mind cover for the fullback line)
    We have no cover at mf either.
    Our defence is getting carved open for goal chances way too often against mediocre teams,we simply have to tighten up.I have full confidence in Horan though and think we will sort out the concession of goal chances come championship.

Game to be played in Ennis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

HBC08 wrote: »
    Game to be played in Ennis.

That’s better for us than McHale park !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭MfMan

Kevin Walsh had a knack of beating Mayo in the Connacht championship, did it Sligo and Galway on a number of occasions. If Galway play Mayo in the Connacht final this summer I can't see Galway winning and that will mostly based on Joyce who will likely set the tribesmen up poorly especially in defence.

Stark reality is that there's little difference between Walsh and Joyce as managers. KW rightfully gets credit for getting Galway better organised during his tenure, but it mustn't obscure the fact that he presided over some disasters in Croke Park and scarcely showed much ambition with his teams there. Joyce left himself as hostage to fortune when he targeted winning the AI straight away. He knows himself he was never going to do that, but should know that this team are a 5-year project at least (seems Galway are in year 15 of a 5-year project!), until a lot more of the better, younger players come through. I don't know if he's the man for that. It's neither man's fault that the county have been producing sub-par players for many years, exacerbated by the fact that the local championship is in general terribly mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

What's the thoughts of yer new alternate jersey lads? Must say I really like it. Think its the best alternate I've seen in years tbh. So much so, I'm considering buying one. Doesnt6say much for the O Neills design team but think it looked very well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

dobman88 wrote: »
    What's the thoughts of yer new alternate jersey lads? Must say I really like it. Think its the best alternate I've seen in years tbh. So much so, I'm considering buying one. Doesnt6say much for the O Neills design team but think it looked very well

With all due respect to the 6 year old who designed it, I think its horrendous. Its the type of jersey I would only expect O'Neills to make

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Squatman

muddle84 wrote: »
    Why do you think Joyce will get them right? He doesn't have a big track record that I'm aware of.

Either way if he doesn't win connacht and progress this year I don't think he will be around much longer.

Agreed, with a lot of the players having left the panel, i think joyce is facing a revolt. Playing as poorly as they do is a sure sign of contempt in the camp. James horan will be managing galway next year :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Clare down on the tight (well it seemed tight when we were there!) pitch will be a tough encounter but we surely have too much for them.

Are there more lads out injured to comeback aside from DOC and Harrison?
    EOD has had a really strong league and Conroy looks fitter. I had hoped Towey would have got longer yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭muddle84

Squatman wrote: »
    Agreed, with a lot of the players having left the panel, i think joyce is facing a revolt. Playing as poorly as they do is a sure sign of contempt in the camp. James horan will be managing galway next year :D

Rumour has it he has lost the dressing room. Thats coming from someone who knows one or two on the panel! Still just a rumour though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Squatman

muddle84 wrote: »
    Rumour has it he has lost the dressing room. Thats coming from someone who knows one or two on the panel! Still just a rumour though!

Stevie wonder can see that:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

.I have full confidence in Horan though and think we will sort out the concession of goal chances come championship.

I just can't see it, this mayo team has been way too porous at the back for far too long , and I don't think it's going to be magically better in a month's time ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭spakman

yop wrote: »
    Clare down on the tight (well it seemed tight when we were there!) pitch will be a tough encounter but we surely have too much for them.

Are there more lads out injured to comeback aside from DOC and Harrison?
    EOD has had a really strong league and Conroy looks fitter. I had hoped Towey would have got longer yesterday.

EOD has had a really strong league? The Meath match was the first we've seen of him this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭flasher0030

spakman wrote: »
    EOD has had a really strong league? The Meath match was the first we've seen of him this year!

He must have meant Ryan O'Donoghue. Have seen little of Eoin O'Donoghue. And maybe it was just me, but I didn't think he had a good game on Sunday. Seemed to stand well of his man several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Maybe he meant Ryan o Donoghue?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sunday was the first we seen of EOD plus he looks quite underdeveloped in the physical sense now compared to some of the others. Know he is considered tough as nails but he now seems to be lacking in physical size.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sunday was the first we seen of EOD plus he looks quite underdeveloped in the physical sense now compared to some of the others. Know he is considered tough as nails but he now seems to be lacking in physical size.

He's clearly a strong lad but the lack of bulk does stand out among others. The S&C of the team (and especially the development of younger players in this sense) is something that has to be given huge credit imo, it has given us a real edge over most other counties over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Overall you'd have to be happy with how the league has gone so far. We've looked comfortable for most parts and now seem to have a panel with plenty of competition. We were long overdue a rebuild and now it seems we're going well with it. You also have the likes of AOS, Doherty and Harrison to come back and add experience and more depth.

Clare won't be an easy game. We were given a game down there a few year's back in a qualifer and I'd expect the same this time around.

• Advertisement

Ya ROD sorry!

Overall you'd have to be happy with how the league has gone so far. We've looked comfortable for most parts and now seem to have a panel with plenty of competition. We were long overdue a rebuild and now it seems we're going well with it. You also have the likes of AOS, Doherty and Harrison to come back and add experience and more depth.

Clare won't be an easy game. We were given a game down there a few year's back in a qualifer and I'd expect the same this time around.

2017,scorcher of a day,Clare 6 up at ht.
    There seems to be a good bit of complacency around this game,I hope it doesn't get through to the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There seems to be a good bit of complacency around this game,I hope it doesn't get through to the players.

No, 2 points up at half time iirc.

Mayo V Sligo on Sky Sports Sat June 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

A lot can happen in a week in gaa never mind 4yrs if we can't take a team like Clare apart like we did meath then it's time to forget about it.

Re joyce I still think he will get the team back to where they where pre covid it might take awhile if he gets it that is.there is always going to be meant cu1ts on a team who think he has lost the dressing room could it be that there not in his plans or not starting and are pissy about it.

No, 2 points up at half time iirc.

Mayo V Sligo on Sky Sports Sat June 26th

Yes sorry,had that wrong,8-6 at ht,i was way off there!

A lot can happen in a week in gaa never mind 4yrs if we can't take a team like Clare apart like we did meath then it's time to forget about it.

Re joyce I still think he will get the team back to where they where pre covid it might take awhile if he gets it that is.there is always going to be meant cu1ts on a team who think he has lost the dressing room could it be that there not in his plans or not starting and are pissy about it.

Big difference between taking the Meath B team apart in McHale Park in a dead rubber game (then losing the 2nd half when they brought on their top players) to playing a very well drilled Clare on their tight home pitch in a winner takes all.

I wouldn't be worrying what Joyce is or isn't doing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Big difference between taking the Meath B team apart in McHale Park in a dead rubber game (then losing the 2nd half when they brought on their top players) to playing a very well drilled Clare on their tight home pitch in a winner takes all.

I wouldn't be worrying what Joyce is or isn't doing at the moment.

Ah I don't know, you have to think that Mayo will have way too much for Clare and pull away. It is not good and I can't see it, if we are getting into a dog fight with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Glenamoy Sheep Farmer

I am not happy at all this morning lads

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I am not happy at all this morning lads

Mod Note

This is the Mayo GAA thread.

Kindly only post regarding that only from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Is the senate gone from twitter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement