Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

naughto wrote: »
    Though leeroy was poor enough at 4 today that pace isn't what it used to be

Surely 30 is a bit young for the legs to be going? But he hasnt looked great in a while alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Any knockmore boys playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

Surely 30 is a bit young for the legs to be going? But he hasnt looked great in a while alright.

He has some mileage in them legs though over the yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Do we think Tyrone will appeal the Brennan red card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Doesn’t everyone appeal red cards nowadays?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

With it being a straight red I cannot see the refs report being for anything other than making contact with the ref.
    On that they can appeal all the like but I cannot see it making much difference.
    In fairness to Brennan the contact was very minimal and there didn`t look to be any malicious intent, but I cannot see how it could be overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

thesultan wrote: »
    There was a Chris Barrett played midfield for Mayo in an U21 final in 04. He is not the current defender?

He was a Lahardane lad. Tough as Nails, grew up in England actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Any idea what's the story with Barrett, McLoughlin, Boyle

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Any idea what's the story with Barrett, McLoughlin, Boyle

Barrett was on the bench yesterday. The other 2 played in the challenge game vs Donegal two weeks ago

McLoughlin was on call for baby arrival over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So our game isnt listed on gaago? I thought it would be on as its not live on TV :confused:

So our game isnt listed on gaago? I thought it would be on as its not live on TV :confused:

Is that due to the deferred coverage on TG4?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Tg4 will be showing the game live on their player, which is fantastic news.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

It's live on the tg4 player. Also deferred coverage on tg4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

RedDevil55 wrote: »

Ah right, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Brilliant stuff.

I was bulling when I didn't see it up on GAAGO.

RedDevil55 wrote: »

We would have damn all coverage of club and very little inter-county league without them.
    Great education as to family surnames in the native tongue as well :)

charlie14 wrote: »
    We would have damn all coverage of club and very little inter-county league without them.
    Great education as to family surnames in the native tongue as well :)

There's been a thread for years extolling the virtues of TG4.

The channel does a splendid job covering gaelic games.

Suil eile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Same team hopefully. No need for tinkering. Go at them with with the pace and enthusiasm we showed on Sunday.

Some great analysis on the OTB GAA and the GAA hour podcasts.

Fulsome in their praise whilst rightly owner beware in bolded print.

Poor Colm Parkinson mixed up his Oisin Mullin's and Oisin Gallen's.

Common theme the need to leave Aidan inside,persist with same in the way that's never been done before irrespective of whither it's working out initially.

Ensure his hugely destructive potential is maximised with quality deliveries and thus nullifying his inherent need to drift out to be involved in the action.

Tad worried re Tyrone.

We've a poor record against them in Castlebar and if they are likely to be inclined to revert to type with many men behind the ball.

We've historically struggled with same.Kieran Mc Donald's scan long scan short mantra is a real positive.Quick delivery of the ball into the full forward line if same is on.

Our historically laboured lateral build ups will not suffice.Patience will be required on occasion.Retention of possession while probing for an opening if the quick delivery is not available.

Donegal on paper are IMO a more complete team than Tyrone.Not sure if Peter Harte will be available on Sunday and Conor Mc Kenna will likely be a real handful for our full back line if he starts inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

seligehgit wrote: »
    Common theme the need to leave Aidan inside,persist with same in the way that's never been done before irrespective of whither it's working out initially.

Ensure his hugely destructive potential is maximised with quality deliveries and thus nullifying his inherent need to drift out to be involved in the action.

I've always thought that we should have left AOS in full forward since was it 2014 when he destroyed Galway Sligo, and Donegal inside. He has the potential to cause havoc at 14 with proper ball played into him!

I've always thought that we should have left AOS in full forward since was it 2014 when he destroyed Galway Sligo, and Donegal inside. He has the potential to cause havoc at 14 with proper ball played into him!

Proper ball being the important part. Aimless, high, floaty rubbish was often thrown into him with little chance of succeeding.

Even if he never gets a ball played into him but he causes two players to "mind" him that leaves plenty of room for our running game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

But haven't Dublin dealt with him and Donaghy although illegally at times

thesultan wrote: »
    But haven't Dublin dealt with him and Donaghy although illegally at times

They have but he's only been tried inside very sporadically.

Never a full 70 minutes against Dublin nor the vast majority of contests thus far.

The Connacht final versus Sligo he ran amok,he was very effective inside v Donegal in 2015.

In those games he has gone inside to mix things or towards the games death when he's been running on empty or Mayo were chasing the game.

Donaghy argues his previous positioning for Mayo has failed to get us across the line ( fine margins ) so it's requiring of something innovative.

It does normally require a sweeper in front to deal with his threat leaving options further out.

The mark should theoretically be advantageous to his deployment inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Proper ball being the important part. Aimless, high, floaty rubbish was often thrown into him with little chance of succeeding.

Even if he never gets a ball played into him but he causes two players to "mind" him that leaves plenty of room for our running game.

Exactly, and there was no one playing off him for the knock downs and scraps. Leave him in there with proper ball and some support and he'll clean up.

Some great analysis on the OTB GAA and the GAA hour podcasts.

Fulsome in their praise whilst rightly owner beware in bolded print.

Poor Colm Parkinson mixed up his Oisin Mullin's and Oisin Gallen's.

Tad worried re Tyrone.

We've a poor record against them in Castlebar and if they are likely to be inclined to revert to type with many men behind the ball.

We've historically struggled with same.Kieran Mc Donald's scan long scan short mantra is a real positive.Quick delivery of the ball into the full forward line if same is on.

Our historically laboured lateral build ups will not suffice.Patience will be required on occasion.Retention of possession while probing for an opening if the quick delivery is not available.

Donegal on paper are IMO a more complete team than Tyrone.Not sure if Peter Harte will be available on Sunday and Conor Mc Kenna will likely be a real handful for our full back line if he starts inside.

For whatever my tuppence is worth. Conor Mc Kenna is a real handful. He is as strong as a bull.If he starts or moves inside he is a two man job. My advice to any keeper under a high ball going up with McKenna would be punch it as far away as you can. Petr Harte if he plays is another handful. Donegal mess him up by putting Ryan Mc Hugh on him. Ryan is not the greatest marker in the world, but he keeps Harte honest in that he is afraid to lose Mc Hugh. Stick Keegan on him. Better marker Ryan Mc Hugh and dangerous if you lose track of him. Harte can get very frustrated if things are not going his way.

Playing Tyrone you need the patience of a saint when they get their wall up. But attempting to carry ball into the tackle is suicide. 9 out of 10 times they will strip you and they are gone. If you can knock over a few from distance you will pull them out a bit and leave pockets. But do not kick short. Score or put it dead. Kicking it short will get uou the same as being stripped.
    Ye have your own version of of McKenna in O`Shea. Leave him in there and another nippy forward to play off him, but if you want to use his height and physicality you need to get the ball in early. If they have their wall in place they are pretty good at dealing with the high ball. They just get bodies around you and do not foul.
    Anyway, best of luck. I`ll be shouting for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭flasher0030

charlie14 wrote: »
    For whatever my tuppence is worth. Conor Mc Kenna is a real handful. He is as strong as a bull.If he starts or moves inside he is a two man job. My advice to any keeper under a high ball going up with McKenna would be punch it as far away as you can. Petr Harte if he plays is another handful. Donegal mess him up by putting Ryan Mc Hugh on him. Ryan is not the greatest marker in the world, but he keeps Harte honest in that he is afraid to lose Mc Hugh. Stick Keegan on him. Better marker Ryan Mc Hugh and dangerous if you lose track of him. Harte can get very frustrated if things are not going his way.

Playing Tyrone you need the patience of a saint when they get their wall up. But attempting to carry ball into the tackle is suicide. 9 out of 10 times they will strip you and they are gone. If you can knock over a few from distance you will pull them out a bit and leave pockets. But do not kick short. Score or put it dead. Kicking it short will get uou the same as being stripped.
    Ye have your own version of of McKenna in O`Shea. Leave him in there and another nippy forward to play off him, but if you want to use his height and physicality you need to get the ball in early. If they have their wall in place they are pretty good at dealing with the high ball. They just get bodies around you and do not foul.
    Anyway, best of luck. I`ll be shouting for ye.

I think Lee Keegan is living a little on reputation. He’s still effective and deserves his place on the team, but I don’t think he can automatically be our go-to man to take care of the opposition danger-man. From what I saw, he fouled a lot in the Galway match, and that was without much pressure being put on.
    If I was doing a match-up, I’d have Oisin Mullen on Peter Harte, I think. Harte like to roam around a bit. Mullen would be tight on him, but would not be shy in spotting a potential overlap further up the pitch.

I think Lee Keegan is living a little on reputation. He’s still effective and deserves his place on the team, but I don’t think he can automatically be our go-to man to take care of the opposition danger-man. From what I saw, he fouled a lot in the Galway match, and that was without much pressure being put on.
    If I was doing a match-up, I’d have Oisin Mullen on Peter Harte, I think. Harte like to roam around a bit. Mullen would be tight on him, but would not be shy in spotting a potential overlap further up the pitch.

What I have seen of Oisin Mullen he looks well capable. Only worry I would have on Harte is not so much his roaming, it`s his ghosting into the scoring area and his ability to draw players allowing others to ghost in.Harte is clever, he has been doing this for some time. No disrespect to young Mullen, but if I wanted to keep an eye on an old dog I`d send an old dog to watch him. I would not be overly worried about Lee Keegan`s performance the last day out. That game was gone after 10 mins and if he decided to have a lazy day I would not hold that against him. God knows he has earned a few at this stage.

Tyrone is a do or die. That has always been the days we have seen the best off Keegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

They have but he's only been tried inside very sporadically.

Never a full 70 minutes against Dublin nor the vast majority of contests thus far.

The Connacht final versus Sligo he ran amok,he was very effective inside v Donegal in 2015.

In those games he has gone inside to mix things or towards the games death when he's been running on empty or Mayo were chasing the game.

Donaghy argues his previous positioning for Mayo has failed to get us across the line ( fine margins ) so it's requiring of something innovative.

It does normally require a sweeper in front to deal with his threat leaving options further out.

The mark should theoretically be advantageous to his deployment inside.

The times that Dublin dealt with Aiden in full forward the delivery to him was atoricous and without support. Its no good leaving him in full forward on his own and a ball sent into him when he is already double marked and no other Mayo player with 20 or 30 yards of him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone else heard whispers of a covid cluster associated with Knockmore's club victory? Surprised it hasn't got into the media if true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement