Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Up on the Mayo GAA twittern account.

Following today's game James Horan confirmed Colm Boyle suffered a bad knee injury last weekend against Dublin and is already working hard with the medical team on his rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

McLoughlin turn-over was for the goal was from some pretty impressive tackling

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

McLoughlin turn-over was for the goal was from some pretty impressive tackling

Which was noticeable as it happened so little
    This was also a pattern last year

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

When it came down to it vs Donegal last year our tackling was very impressive. Even the 1st half against Dublin in the semi-final. The 2013 days of swarming around players to win turnovers are gone. Every team now practices retaining possession and not bringing the ball into contact.

On Sunday Sport now.

• Advertisement

Pat Spillane unfortunately calling a spade a spade.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Pat Spillane unfortunately calling a spade a spade.

Ara now he was way over the top. Sure we were terrible today but we still won. Conroy’s second game?! I really hope we stuff that down his throat and make a league final.

Ara now he was way over the top. Sure we were terrible today but we still won. Conroy’s second game?! I really hope we stuff that down his throat and make a league final.

TBF you're right.

Young Ryan O Donoghue was very good when we most needed him today.A very clever footballer.

Young Tommy Conroy was playing his second game and has oodles of talent.

Eoin O Donoghue was a tad below the standards I'd expect of him but then again I'd always consider him a more natural corner back so in spite of his ability to finish off a rampaging run with a point he's out of position in the half backs.

Conor Loftus IMO does not look he's going to really make the step up at this stage.

Young Carr is capable of moments of brilliance amongst spells of an apparent lack of involvement.

To a degree Spillane amongst his hyperbole has a valid point re forwards winning the All Irelands and only our winning an All Ireland will soften his cough.

What's the story with Donie Vaughan??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Spillane has been spouting the same dated drivel for the last 25 years

On about All-Ireland’s in the height of a storm in the middle of February? He also mentioned the dreaded ‘marque forward’ Christ how are we supposed to find the famous forward if we don’t play some different players? No idea that it was probably the youngest Mayo team that ever went out in a serious league game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Thou

Haven't seen Sunday Sport yet, but was never one to buy into Spillane's or Brollys views on Mayo football. Mayo fans too sensitive to what outsiders think. Doubt if Horan or players are this way, why should supporters. Just sounds like usual hyperbole this time of year, from some pundits and fans alike. Truth is it was very poor conditions today, it's the start of the year, half Mayo squad still train in Dublin, new players get a run out and we still won.

Crazy stuff bit of perspective required.
    Admittedly I think goalkeeping situation is a worry, but overall it looks like Horan is building something good, with alot of very promising young players. Management and players need to be given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Eoghan McLoughlin appeared out of nowhere. Living outside the county, I've never heard of him before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Panrich wrote: »
    Eoghan McLoughlin appeared out of nowhere. Living outside the county, I've never heard of him before.

Is he not from Westport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Panrich wrote: »

He seemed a bit raw when he came on, but hopefully he can use the game time to grow into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Is he not from Westport?

Yes. Younger brother of Oisín who was on Mayo panel last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Is he not from Westport?
    Haha, I think they were saying they were living outside the county, not Eoghan.

One of the up and coming Westport crop James would have worked with recently. Has shown well in underage the last few years, though hadn't heard much hinting at him joining the senior panel so soon relative to the chat around folk like Oisin.

Big vote of confidence in his potential blooding him in with the way the game was going today. Not a cameo he'll be putting on the highlights reel I'd imagine. Better to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

seligehgit wrote: »
    Up on the Mayo GAA twittern account.

Following today's game James Horan confirmed Colm Boyle suffered a bad knee injury last weekend against Dublin and is already working hard with the medical team on his rehab.

There's a pretty strict timeframe for proper recovery from a cruciate, I hope he doesn't do anything too hasty or he'll just break down again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Bees Tea

padd b1975 wrote: »
    There's a pretty strict timeframe for proper recovery from a cruciate, I hope he doesn't do anything too hasty or he'll just break down again.

We need Hennelly to perform and Boyle to be healthy to have any chance. I have a bad feeling I won’t be getting my traditional brekkie in Feericks on the way to Croker this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I watched the match yesterday but was at the previous two, had commented that I'd seen nothing from Ryan O'D to impress me. He then did well for the goal but other than five minutes yesterday I've been very underwhelmed. Yet its Carr who is taken off at HT in all three games? To me hes showing a lot better, a bit erratic with his shooting but that should improve with experience.

I'd like to see himself and Conroy on the pitch for a full game where the wind isnt such a big factor. The tactic against Dublin to kick it long to them was good but one dimensional, with both on the pitch it makes it a lot harder for the opposition to mark them

Fair play to McLoughlin, I was roaring at the telly to not take that free but he nailed it. First time in a couple of years we've seen him at the level he was yesterday, great to see.

Keegan is a massive worry, he just hasnt been the same player since that injury

Hennelly - gets way too much abuse, thought his kickouts yesterday and against Dublin were good. Lads holding onto them would help him out a lot

Worrying how we got opened up so easily for both goals and the chance in the first half. Surprised more wasnt made of that, I'm not sure what the exact rule is. It isnt a foot block cause he didnt kick it but I doubt you're allowed kick the ball as someone else drops it to kick it, very unusual case.

Why are my posts being deleted ?

• Advertisement

Bees Tea wrote: »

Why have you not been banned after your "contributions" is more of a mystery.

You called 2 players a disgrace after the game yday. That was the entire post. What exactly did you think would happen a post of that nature?

km79 wrote: »
    Why have you not been banned after your "contributions" is more of a mystery.

You called 2 players a disgrace after the game yday. That was the entire post. What exactly did you think would happen a post of that nature?

That’s sports analysis. I felt they played incredibly poorly. This is the problem with us as a county, we constantly accept mediocrity from our team

Perhaps you should have a look at the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That’s sports analysis. I felt they played incredibly poorly. This is the problem with us as a county, we constantly accept mediocrity from our team

Do the players owe you something? Do you think that it's for your entertainment that they put their lives temporarily on hold whilst they train 3 times a week and abstain from the vices in life that the rest of us take from granted.

There's definately a disgrace in our midst - but it's not the Mayo team.

X and x were a disgrace today is not analysis

And one of the players you named is a player I have been critical of in the past in analysis of certain games
    He was fine yday. He certainly wasn’t a disgrace

The other player you named did not have a great game . You could have pointes out why as I believe some posts before you did
    That’s analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

How is that sports analysis?
    The Joe Brolly effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Green&Red wrote: »
    I watched the match yesterday but was at the previous two, had commented that I'd seen nothing from Ryan O'D to impress me. He then did well for the goal but other than five minutes yesterday I've been very underwhelmed. Yet its Carr who is taken off at HT in all three games? To me hes showing a lot better, a bit erratic with his shooting but that should improve with experience.

I'd like to see himself and Conroy on the pitch for a full game where the wind isnt such a big factor. The tactic against Dublin to kick it long to them was good but one dimensional, with both on the pitch it makes it a lot harder for the opposition to mark them

Fair play to McLoughlin, I was roaring at the telly to not take that free but he nailed it. First time in a couple of years we've seen him at the level he was yesterday, great to see.

Keegan is a massive worry, he just hasnt been the same player since that injury

Hennelly - gets way too much abuse, thought his kickouts yesterday and against Dublin were good. Lads holding onto them would help him out a lot

Worrying how we got opened up so easily for both goals and the chance in the first half. Surprised more wasnt made of that, I'm not sure what the exact rule is. It isnt a foot block cause he didnt kick it but I doubt you're allowed kick the ball as someone else drops it to kick it, very unusual case.

I disagree on O'Donoghue. I think he has shown improvements game on game. I thought he did more than just the 5 minutes towards the end setting up McLoughlin twice. He scored a very good point at one point and it seemed to me he was reading the game very well and was picking out decent passes to keep the play moving in the right direction. Just my opinion, but i think he has something but is taking time to build his confidence at this level.

I do agree that he seems to take Carr off too early though!

Either way, Horan is putting his faith in the youth in every game so far, they all need the game time.

Onwards now and i reckon that we need another 4 points from our last 4 games to guarantee safety! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for giving the young bucks a decent run out. The point was more that I had seen more from Carr and even Tommy goals than I had from ROD before those last five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Green&Red wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for giving the young bucks a decent run out. The point was more that I had seen more from Carr and even Tommy goals than I had from ROD before those last five minutes.

I think the problem will be trying to fit ROD into the same team as Boland and Kev Mc. Yesterday's half forward line was very light. Come Championship you'd expect a team with more size and strength. James Durcan will also struggle with that in mind.

Agree fully with you regarding Carr and Conroy, not sure why they were hooked. Carr in particular, I was surprised he was taken off against Dublin at half-time, seemed to be holding his own in there. Maybe Horan is asking more of him or it's a fitness issue?

• Advertisement

Carr simply must have some kind of injury fitness issue and is being eased back in
    Not even Horan is this mad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement