Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Even Ewan MacKenna has jumped on the bandwagon slating the executive.

He's on the money. Pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Is the Wonderful World of Willie on lock down? How come there's nothing about all this over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Is the Wonderful World of Willie on lock down? How come there's nothing about all this over there?

I'd imagine he is afraid of his sh!te of a legal issue with the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Schlingerman has left the panel according to ahref.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'd imagine he is afraid of his sh!te of a legal issue with the comments.

Yeah. Mad isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I'm not the greatest fan of the blog for many reasons, but in fairness if he didn't censor comments on the whole saga, people would be discussing it ad nauseum on posts about Ballintubber, Tooreen, etc. I'm glad he's just keeping it to GAA, people can discuss the political goings on of MayoGAA on twitter/facebook to their hearts content

He's no eejit, some of the posters on that blog are 'extreme' to say the very least, he could do without the hassle of lunatics coming on ranting and raving posting untrue and/or potentially libellous information

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

jr86 wrote:
    He's no eejit, some of the posters on that blog are 'extreme' to say the very least, he could do without the hassle of lunatics coming on ranting and raving posting untrue and/or potentially libellous information

Yeah he's the only one on the site allowed to rant and rave and post untrue information.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Yeah he's the only one on the site allowed to rant and rave and post untrue information.

What untrue information has he posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://mayogaablog.com/?p=26171

He has posted his reasons (seems perfectly reasonable ) and hinting he may not continue
    This would be a shame imo
    On the whole it’s reasonable over there most of the time
    Good place to have a bit of discussion with a few after a game as opposed to the troll fest here when mayo lose and sometimes even when they win

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

km79 wrote: »
    https://mayogaablog.com/?p=26171

He has posted his reasons (seems perfectly reasonable ) and hinting he may not continue
    This would be a shame imo
    On the whole it’s reasonable over there most of the time
    Good place to have a bit of discussion with a few after a game as opposed to the troll fest here when mayo lose and sometimes even when they win

I never understood the abuse he gets here and elsewhere. The blog is a great service to have. The only thing I dislike about it are the handful of head banger posters which you're unable to mute.

• Advertisement

I never understood the abuse he gets here and elsewhere. The blog is a great service to have. The only thing I dislike about it are the handful of head banger posters which you're unable to mute.

As someone who was exiled up in east galway it was invaluable for me
    A real link to home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

Did I hear correctly that a member of the board said that he would rather give the 150000 back than continue the partnership with the supporters foundation? I thought I heard that on the 8pm sport bulletin but I figured I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

statto25 wrote: »
    Did I hear correctly that a member of the board said that he would rather give the 150000 back than continue the partnership with the supporters foundation? I thought I heard that on the 8pm sport bulletin but I figured I was wrong.

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/revealed-details-mayo-gaas-behind-closed-doors-meeting-924424

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

Niallers87 wrote: »

Well Rooney doesn't cover himself in any glory if he did indeed did send an email using that sort of phrasing. What a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

he's an asal!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Niallers87 wrote: »

Rooney doesn't come across well in that email but that's an outrageous statement by Kevin O'Toole. He'll pass up on 250k but continue levying the clubs thousands of Euro every year!

Given its so easy to write a comment on it its just a goldmine for trolls and nutjobs.

If possible a facility where users have to create accounts like here and were on pre-moderation for their first 10 posts or something, would definitely help to weed out some of the headcases. I can't see him going to the trouble though, when its not even his livelihood, just a voluntary service

The blog has gotten too big in recent years really, I can see why it may be too much of a hassle for him to manage it going forward. Aswell as that some of his entrenched views like that Newbridge issue and his vendetta against Shanahan for kerry, he might get away with when it was a smaller core, mainly Mayo-based, audience, but given its got large national traffic now, its just not as suited

jr86 wrote: »
    Given its so easy to write a comment on it its just a goldmine for trolls and nutjobs.

If possible a facility where users have to create accounts like here and were on pre-moderation for their first 10 posts or something, would definitely help to weed out some of the headcases. I can't see him going to the trouble though, when its not even his livelihood, just a voluntary service

The blog has gotten too big in recent years really, I can see why it may be too much of a hassle for him to manage it going forward. Aswell as that some of his entrenched views like that Newbridge issue and his vendetta against Shanahan for kerry, he might get away with when it was a smaller core, mainly Mayo-based, audience, but given its got large national traffic now, its just not as suited

I think that’s it’s in a nutshell
    It’s gotten too big
    Will probably drop back if we enter a less successful period though.........

km79 wrote: »
    I think that’s it’s in a nutshell
    It’s gotten too big
    Will probably drop back if we enter a less successful period though.........

Yeah, around 2011-13 was ideal really, a good solid core audience, but nothing too small or too massive

Like anything it would ideally need to evolve as the audience grows, but I wouldn't blame him one bit for not doing so - as I've said this isn't his livelihood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Alan Flynn a interesting appointment by Castlebar Mitchels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

OTB discussion on the leaked minutes of last week's meeting and the whole saga

btw anyone know how to embed a YT video??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Big slap on the knuckles for the Co Board after Connolly saying they didn't require Croke Park. Suspect something bigish will come out at some stage.

Yet according to the leaked minutes the meeting unanimously voted for mediation :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Yet according to the leaked minutes the meeting unanimously voted for mediation :confused:
    Sure Knock is only down the Road . Didn’t the Pope tog a Mayo Jersey .

if Knock can’t fix this then I’m worried about Heaven .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Did anyone read joe brolly's piece on mayo? It is more centric on the players. I have no issue with players getting criticism when it is deserved, or even approaching deserved. But the whole article is painfully disingenuous.
    'Pat and Noel' are apparently the saviours, if only our troublesome players didnt pole-axe them.
    They would have done what gilroy did with dublin, and this change of ethos is what is missing in mayo, and why we didnt win any all irelands. How he knows what they as a management team were planning to do and how that would have played out isnt specified - a mere minor detail sure!

So, we can take from that, obviously brolly thinks that individually, mayo were in fact better than dublin, since he believes they would have toppled dublin had we the same type of management. Right?

Also, he seems to have forgotten who it was that did in fact topple gilroys dublin team, new ethos and all...

He slates individuals with inaccurate points. Apparently rory ocarroll put it up to aidan oshea and he didnt like it. Im just wondering if this actually happened in coppers or something since aos played in midfield in those days? While mcmahon and omahoney might have more of a claim, it is only fair to point out that our delivery to him, compared to say kerrys to donaghy, was pretty awful, and the guy was being marked by 2 and 3 people. Im not saying he never made a mistake or anything like that, but at least call it straight.
    That horrible word of his 'wilted' made another appearance on this front also. Oshea has also never performed against dublin it seems, yet he was excellent against them in the 2017 final. He has been quiet in games against them, but mainly because dublin have built several gameplans around stopping him. Whether it be opening up space in the middle third and getting osullivan to run him, or double marking him inside, or starting ogara at ff to get mayo to put oshea back on him, or mcmahons obligatory attempts to get him sent off. In reality dublin have paid oshea more heed than thay do for pretty much anyone.

I could go on, and there is more, but Im sure people get the idea. I just dont get how people take him as a serious analyst when his input to debate is this poorly put together. It is akin to something a child would write, to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Did anyone read joe brolly's piece on mayo? It is more centric on the players. I have no issue with players getting criticism when it is deserved, or even approaching deserved. But the whole article is painfully disingenuous.
    'Pat and Noel' are apparently the saviours, if only our troublesome players didnt pole-axe them.
    They would have done what gilroy did with dublin, and this change of ethos is what is missing in mayo, and why we didnt win any all irelands. How he knows what they as a management team were planning to do and how that would have played out isnt specified - a mere minor detail sure!

So, we can take from that, obviously brolly thinks that individually, mayo were in fact better than dublin, since he believes they would have toppled dublin had we the same type of management. Right?

Also, he seems to have forgotten who it was that did in fact topple gilroys dublin team, new ethos and all...

He slates individuals with inaccurate points. Apparently rory ocarroll put it up to aidan oshea and he didnt like it. Im just wondering if this actually happened in coppers or something since aos played in midfield in those days? While mcmahon and omahoney might have more of a claim, it is only fair to point out that our delivery to him, compared to say kerrys to donaghy, was pretty awful, and the guy was being marked by 2 and 3 people. Im not saying he never made a mistake or anything like that, but at least call it straight.
    That horrible word of his 'wilted' made another appearance on this front also. Oshea has also never performed against dublin it seems, yet he was excellent against them in the 2017 final. He has been quiet in games against them, but mainly because dublin have built several gameplans around stopping him. Whether it be opening up space in the middle third and getting osullivan to run him, or double marking him inside, or starting ogara at ff to get mayo to put oshea back on him, or mcmahons obligatory attempts to get him sent off. In reality dublin have paid oshea more heed than thay do for pretty much anyone.

I could go on, and there is more, but Im sure people get the idea. I just dont get how people take him as a serious analyst when his input to debate is this poorly put together. It is akin to something a child would write, to my mind.

I don’t know why people bother with Brolly. Now that our licence fee no longer supports his soapboxing, he is of no relevance whatsoever. He offers nothing now and he never offered anything before so I pay him no heed.
    The best you can do with Joe is to treat him with the attention he deserves and that is to completely ignore him and his personal agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

To say mayo supporters are celebrating mediocrity is a bit much.......they’re up there with Galway in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Blackjack wrote: »
    I don’t know why people bother with Brolly. Now that our licence fee no longer supports his soapboxing, he is of no relevance whatsoever. He offers nothing now and he never offered anything before so I pay him no heed.
    The best you can do with Joe is to treat him with the attention he deserves and that is to completely ignore him and his personal agendas.

I agree completely. The problem is there is a lot of people out there who think he is a well researched pundit and believe what he has to say. In reality he is a poor mans roy curtis. Furthermore, why should his disingenuous attitude be ignored? It should be called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I agree completely. The problem is there is a lot of people out there who think he is a well researched pundit and believe what he has to say. In reality he is a poor mans roy curtis. Furthermore, why should his disingenuous attitude be ignored? It should be called out.

He just craves the oxygen of attention and controversy. I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction.

• Advertisement

Fact checking wouldn't exactly be Joseph's strong point when it comes to his articles, interviews or rants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement