Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Didn't get to see the Tubber v Stephenites game at the weekend.

I thought Akram really stood out on Sunday. He was always quick and naturally stocky but I think his ball skills have improved. He played several nice kick passes into Andy during the game. I would say adding scores to his game is all that's lacking now. Hanley was good linking play but as a forward he needs to be more of a scoring threat. I'd still have him behind the likes of Boland, McDonagh and Treacy in terms of playing county. Kuba Callaghan is a livewire but a bit raw. He's still U20 next year I think along with Ciaran Gavin from Ballintubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayo v Leitrim

London v Roscommon

New York v Galway

If Mayo win,to play winners of London v Roscommon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mayo v Leitrim

London v Roscommon

New York v Galway

If Mayo win,to play winners of London v Roscommon
    Are Sligo going to get a game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

blinding wrote: »
    Are Sligo going to get a game ?

Sligo get a bye into the SF where they play the winner of NY v Galway.

From a Mayo POV they should get past Leitrim ok but after that it would be tough away to Roscommon and possibly away to Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Sligo get a bye into the SF where they play the winner of NY v Galway.

From a Mayo POV they should get past Leitrim ok but after that it would be tough away to Roscommon and possibly away to Galway

Yeah, going to be very tough to win a Connacht title next year. Think needed Sligo/Leitrim in the semi, but as you say two away matches in a row v Ros and Galway will be very tricky indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭boosabum

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Very good interview with McStay. Some good insights into our problems at board level from his perspective.

Came across somewhat bitter i felt.

Talked about need to understand people can't be dismissed and throw under the bus and then goes and throws two men under the bus with flippant remarks.

All the talk of a CEO if grand but its not that straight forward in terms of stumping up the cash to pay a good one seems to be glossed over.

Currently two full time admin roles in Mayo Gaa and neither would make a person rich so would have to have an awful love for the game to taken them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

boosabum wrote: »

Talked about need to understand people can't be dismissed and throw under the bus and then goes and throws two men under the bus with flippant remarks.

All the talk of a CEO if grand but its not that straight forward in terms of stumping up the cash to pay a good one seems to be glossed over.

Currently two full time admin roles in Mayo Gaa and neither would make a person rich so would have to have an awful love for the game to taken them on.

I'd agree with the last 2 paragraphs. There aren't many qualified CEOs around mayo looking for a job. It's also hard to predict how things will be financially in 4 or 5 years so any prospective CEO could only be offered a short term rolling contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

boosabum wrote: »

Never got a bitter feel from McStay, more his disappointment of not getting the job and the lack of a process around the recruitment. These are all valid and not bitter in my eyes. I think he feels that he wanted the job while the guys that got it were made/forced/sounded up to take it but that went belly up as well. There were no winners!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

I'm not surprised seeing as they money they had probably earmarked has been held by the foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Never got a bitter feel from McStay, more his disappointment of not getting the job and the lack of a process around the recruitment. These are all valid and not bitter in my eyes. I think he feels that he wanted the job while the guys that got it were made/forced/sounded up to take it but that went belly up as well. There were no winners!!!

I think Mayo county board were prepared to give McStay the job if he joined up without McHale and he wasn't going to do that. In his own words Mayo didn't particularly need Kevin McStay as manager but they absolutely needed Liam McHale a a coach.

I think Mayo county board were prepared to give McStay the job if he joined up without McHale and he wasn't going to do that. In his own words Mayo didn't particularly need Kevin McStay as manager but they absolutely needed Liam McHale a a coach.
    McHale has too much Jaw Jaw for everybody !

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

2020 NFL

Saturday January 25 Donegal Away
    Saturday February 1 Dublin Home
    Sunday February 9 Meath Away
    Sunday February 23 Monaghan Away
    Saturday February 29 Kerry Home
    Sunday March 15 Galway Away
    Sunday March 22 Tyrone Home

ureds wrote: »
    2020 NFL

Tough enough schedule. Would have much preferred Kerry and Tyrone early on. Definitely not advisable to be in the mix for relegation with those last 3 fixtures as they are, even if 2 are at home.

Donegal away is a very tricky start and Dublin is basically a write off anymore even if it may be better in theory to play them early. Monaghan and Meath games are definitely the most winnable and will probably define the campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BandMember

I have to say that I'm very surprised that either nobody here or the County Board have commented on the financial implications of next years Championship draw - it means no home games in the Connacht Championship at all in 2020. Apart from the loss of home advantage and going on the road for the entirety, there's big loans to be repaid that depend on these games... Remember 2010 and how they got bailed out by Sligo having to take Castlebar as the neutral final for the final?

Best. Joke. Ever. "absolutely needed Liam McHale as a coach". That's the funniest thing I've read on here in ages! :pac:

jr86 wrote: »
    Tough enough schedule. Would have much preferred Kerry and Tyrone early on. Definitely not advisable to be in the mix for relegation with those last 3 fixtures as they are, even if 2 are at home.

Donegal away is a very tricky start and Dublin is basically a write off anymore even if it may be better in theory to play them early. Monaghan and Meath games are definitely the most winnable and will probably define the campaign

That's a very tough schedule.

With the likely experimentation and team transition I think as usual we'll have a real fight to stay up.

That's a very tough schedule.

With the likely experimentation and team transition I think as usual we'll have a real fight to stay up.

Agree! I'm pretty sure our first 3 games in 2019 were Roscommon, Cavan and Tyrone who only get going in the latter rounds. All extremely winnable

Think it's extremely likely we'll lose our first 2 next year, giving us basically zero margin for error against Monaghan and meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Given our form in McHale Park, I don't fancy us in any of our home games. Kerry at home could be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

2020 NFL

Thanks for that, Breaffy booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Best time to play Dublin is in the earlier rounds. They are basically still in pre-season mode and monaghan getting them early this year and beating them was key to keeping them up by the skin of their teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

BandMember wrote: »
    I have to say that I'm very surprised that either nobody here or the County Board have commented on the financial implications of next years Championship draw - it means no home games in the Connacht Championship at all in 2020. Apart from the loss of home advantage and going on the road for the entirety, there's big loans to be repaid that depend on these games... Remember 2010 and how they got bailed out by Sligo having to take Castlebar as the neutral final for the final?

Best. Joke. Ever. "absolutely needed Liam McHale as a coach". That's the funniest thing I've read on here in ages! :pac:

There was no championship games in McHale part in 2015 either. The difference is now we have a chance of a home super 8's games should we get that far. Nothing like that in 2015.

Best time to play Dublin is in the earlier rounds. They are basically still in pre-season mode and monaghan getting them early this year and beating them was key to keeping them up by the skin of their teeth.

Best time to play them alright

In any case - maybe we can get the fog machine out in Castlebar again and get it cancelled and resulted in a draw?

Oh wait... this isn't that other farce of a sport :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭spakman

Best time to play them alright

In any case - maybe we can get the fog machine out in Castlebar again and get it cancelled and resulted in a draw?

Oh wait... this isn't that other farce of a sport :D

The game that was abandoned due to fog got rescheduled and we hammered them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Unrest in the Mayo ladies co.board.Assitant Secretary has resigned ,allegedly financial issues, unpaid charity fundraising and discontent amongst delegates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Unrest in the Mayo ladies co.board.Assitant Secretary has resigned ,allegedly financial issues, unpaid charity fundraising and discontent amongst delegates.

We’re a laughing stock at this stage. We make Trump look competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone watching the Underdogs this year and/or going to the match in Castlebar in a couple of weeks?

Can't make it myself but would be interested to see what kind of team Mayo put out...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Panrich wrote: »
    We’re a laughing stock at this stage. We make Trump look competent.

Arragh we are not really

The crowd over the border are in all sorts of bother with money and the hurling team (which as they tell us after their footballers fall flat year after year is what most of them are interested in anyway) can't even gather nominations for a new manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Did any read the back page of yesterdays Indo? "O'Leary eyes sponsor bid in new twist to Mayo dispute". What I'm reading is that he wants the sponsorship of Mayo GAA over Elverys and has put his bid in for it. I dont know about ye but I would hate to see Elverys gone from the front of any Mayo jersey. Its part of the green and red at this stage. Correcr me if Im wrong but this is the same chap who is in dispute with Mayo CB over all the funds he gave them....and now he is asking them to consider him for sponsorship?? Christ on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Did any read the back page of yesterdays Indo? "O'Leary eyes sponsor bid in new twist to Mayo dispute". What I'm reading is that he wants the sponsorship of Mayo GAA over Elverys and has put his bid in for it. I dont know about ye but I would hate to see Elverys gone from the front of any Mayo jersey. Its part of the green and red at this stage. Correcr me if Im wrong but this is the same chap who is in dispute with Mayo CB over all the funds he gave them....and now he is asking them to consider him for sponsorship?? Christ on a bike

The highest bidder with the best package should get it. If that's O'Leary then fair enough.

• Advertisement

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    I thought you were talking about the Ryanair Horror Man there for awhile .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement