Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circle K to slash fuel prices by 7c a litre this weekend

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ah this explains why they bumped their prices in the last month or so.

Applegreen did the same thing a few months ago. They can go %%%%% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

L1011 wrote: »
    The E5 produced in Whitegate is 99.2RON already. "95" specified is a bare minimum, most fuel sold is higher.

I don't doubt you, but have you any link reference for this.
    I was told by a friend who owns a few petrol stations in cork, that all the petrol is 95+ , probably about 97 or 98

I'd genuinely be interested in seeing some documentation stating that it is 99.2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

OmegaGene wrote:
    Loads of people buy premium fuel without the savings otherwise cidcle k and Apple green wouldn’t be introducing it to the market

We had premium fuel for decades. We all paid extra for it because it was a higher octane, cleaned the engine, gave us better mpg etc, etc. Which the consumer magazine eventually tested these fuels. Turns out the premium fuel did none of the things promised. The fuel might make a slight difference if you were driving a ferrari. Us regular Joe's were being conned. They removed premium from the Irish market after the test results came out because people stopped buying it.

It's amazing that people are willing to throw money away like this

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Us regular Joe's were being conned. They removed premium from the Irish market after the test results came out because people stopped buying it.

It's amazing that people are willing to throw money away like this

I've a golf gti and when driving in France the difference is very noticeable. Even the missus commented the difference in the exhaust note.
    In fact I came home with a full tank of 98 and after filling up here I thought there was a problem with the car, then I remembered in was back on the 95ron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

I've a golf gti and when driving in France the difference is very noticeable. Even the missus commented the difference in the exhaust note.
    In fact I came home with a full tank of 98 and after filling up here I thought there was a problem with the car, then I remembered in was back on the 95ron.

It a 2.0 t not a Lambo :p

• Advertisement

snowcat wrote: »
    It a 2.0 t not a Lambo :p

Correct, point to where I said other wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

mikeecho wrote: »
    The big monolith at the front of the station would have been a hint.. and then the price on the pump was another hint.
    They also had it up on social media, and there was an article in the newspaper as well.

.. hopefully they'll learn, and next time they'll send someone around to your house to personally inform you

It's the least they can do.

*Sigh*...The price on the big monolith was 138.9 for plus...130.9 for regular. No mention of it in the shop or on the forecourt. This was 7.45 this morning...You'll have to get up a bit earlier to get me there lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

Correct, point to where I said other wise?

Even in a 500bhp lambo you would be doing well to notice the difference, your passenger, i dont think so.

go4it wrote:
    @BrownFinger : octane booster is what you're after : comes in 350-440ml for a normal 50-60L tank ; some of the cheap ones are using other tricks to deliver more power boost . beside additives, they clean/erode the injectors heads to deliver more fuel , giving the impression of the power. Don't take my word for it. Do some fuel consumption calculation on your own ( not onboard pc numbers) - fill fullest to the petrol pump, do 600km and do a full fill at the pump again

I can get 45mpg to 70mpg. It differs week by week depending on how much city driving or Motorway driving I do. Even the motorway driving can differ by 10mpg depending on my speed. I honestly can't see how you can tell the difference based on the test above. When which magazine proved that premium fuel was nonsense they tested in a controlled test with each test they had the exact same speed, acceleration etc

OmegaGene wrote:
    This is becoming like a playground argument about Santa clause

Don't you dare say he's not real!

• Advertisement

Even in a 500bhp lambo you would be doing well to notice the difference, your passenger, i dont think so.

I bet you've never even been in a 500bhp car.
    I'd say you have a quashqi or a juke, 1.5 diesel 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

In fairness, anyone that has driven a semi perfomant car on 98 Ron vs 95 usually notices a fair difference in performance. Honestly just sounds like you haven't experienced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭deezell

It's difficult to test additives using your own driving, as traffic, temperature, weather will all influence your mpg. Having said that, I've seen definite mpg improvements from the Irish made product ' dipetane', a litre costs a tenner+, treats 190l just over 5c a litre. You probably get a good bit back in mpg, and it should save on longer term maintenance, at least that's the idea. If you're buying diesel for 125-126, you've got premium for very little extra.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’ve tested it myself on my car and it benefits me for mpg I’m averaging 5.6 in a c220 and not a hope of doing this using the other alternative in town so I’m happy to pay the extra, people can buy what they want wether it’s lidl beans or Heinz beans who cares
    If you don’t like the thread click unfollow and forget about it

I don't know about lidl beans, but the regular Aldi beans (not the super cheap white lable beans) come from batchelors..

That's good enough for me.

deezell wrote: »
    It's difficult to test additives using your own driving, as traffic, temperature, weather will all influence your mpg. Having said that, I've seen definite mpg improvements from the Irish made product ' dipetane', a litre costs a tenner+, treats 190l just over 5c a litre. You probably get a good bit back in mpg, and it should save on longer term maintenance, at least that's the idea. If you're buying diesel for 125-126, you've got premium for very little extra.

I usually run milesplus Diesel, but from doing some online reading, they seem to suggest that only a few tanks of premium a year is good enough to provide cleaning effect.

So . I was passing a Circle K that was doing a 10¢ off offer, and decided that I would fill the car with regular Diesel ( availing of the additional 4c off with a fuel card) and also filled a few Jerry cans.
    I bought close to 200L of regular CK Diesel fuel.

After a week or so.. I can notice the difference from when the car was running on the plus fuel compared to the regular Diesel.

Personally, I'll stick to the milesplus Diesel... If anything the engine is quieter, and unscientifically I fell that the needle doesn't drop as quick.

Each to their own.. but even when I'm in the UK, I'll try and get BP ultimate, which is a GTL based fuel with a higher cetane value.

CK have told me that their plus fuel has is on average + 3 cetane numbers.

Wifey avoids CK because she finds the extra options confusing, so she goes to maxol, but if I'm driving her car I'll always go to CK and get the +

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

1zgsx8p.jpg

Saved 3.76 euros

Did you not save €1.88? They have the discount down twice, but subtracted once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Yes, AA gave me extra 1.88 off on top of 1.88 saved from discounted rate of Miles Plus.

For some reason AA discount is mentioned twice.
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Did you not save €1.88? They have the discount down twice, but subtracted once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Something to note that I haven't seen before was 97ron wrote on the pumps of both miles and miles plus when I dropped into a circle k yesterday. Took a pic but cant post on the phone but like anyone with a turbo petrol I'm happy to see a bump from 95.

5500 wrote: »
    Something to note that I haven't seen before was 97ron wrote on the pumps of both miles and miles plus when I dropped into a circle k yesterday. Took a pic but cant post on the phone but like anyone with a turbo petrol I'm happy to see a bump from 95.

Did you take a pic ? Because all the circle k's I've been to say E5 95ron for petrol and B7 for diesel.

Although it is generally believed that E5 petrol coming from the Whitegate refinery in cork is 99.2ron.

This might be why there is a reluctance to introduce 97 or 98 Ron, when the locally produced petrol that is sold as a minimum 95ron is actually 99.2

They would be selling something as a minimum 98ron , when it is still the same Ron as regular min 95.

No chance of missing the offer here anyway

What about the Irish speakers. How are they gonna know about it. ;D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Unfortunately that was queried with Circle K and found to be a case of incorrect labeling on the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

294jqxl.jpg

Just remembered similar being posted in motors before, the garage I was in only had a recent rebrand so youd think they would have caught up on the labels by now

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

294jqxl.jpg

Just remembered similar being posted in motors before, the garage I was in only had a recent rebrand so youd think they would have caught up on the labels by now

Which garage is that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Get the app and you can enter the monthly draw and the free treat are worth collecting every month

You'd need to be burning through 200L/month to enter the draw and get the free treat every month. That would be doing 48,000km/year @ 5L/100km, for example... much heavier than average use. You'd want to be driving for work.

That said - it's still worth building up the points and getting the benefit every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭deezell

J o e wrote: »
    You'd need to be burning through 200L/month to enter the draw and get the free treat every month. That would be doing 48,000km/year @ 5L/100km, for example... much heavier than average use. You'd want to be driving for work.

That said - it's still worth building up the points and getting the benefit every few months.

At 1.389/litre your 2400 l would cost you €312 more than cheaper alternatives. 5l/100km is 56mpg, theres no high milage driver averaging that in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

not sure where you get those figures from regarding the points for the app but you may want to do some research, i got 25 litres of fuel and a paper on sunday which cost me €34 and change and i got 75 points towards my next entry for the prize or reward.

I got my figures from the Circle K's Play or Park website when doing my research before posting....
    "You get 1 point for every litre of petrol or diesel and 4 points for every €1 spent on eligible purchases at Circle K stores."

You get much more points for buying stuff in the shop than you do from fuel... but I thought it was buying fuel we we talking about....?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

J o e wrote: »
    I got my figures from the Circle K's Play or Park website when doing my research before posting....
    "You get 1 point for every litre of petrol or diesel and 4 points for every €1 spent on eligible purchases at Circle K stores."

You get much more points for buying stuff in the shop than you do from fuel... but I thought it was buying fuel we we talking about....?

But if you use the shop for fuel you'll scan the tag for other items at the same time, coffee etc.
    A lot of months I would have 3 entries, but would not burn 600l of petrol... (I hope :eek:)

I play every month... How much do I spend ..

Screenshot-20190312-181342-01.jpg

Anyway... This offer has expired, it was only valid sat and sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was this in all forecourts?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was this in all forecourts?

Just the 50 forecourts that sell the plus fuel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement