Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding guests not giving gifts (Mod note in 1st post!)

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Im sure the fees for the wedding photos from VIP magazine or Farmers Journal will cover the shortfall in takings.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

teednab-el wrote: »
    I have to say the amount of bandwangoners on here is something astounding. I know if I had to pick 10 of you who had a wedding of similar scale ye would be the first to complain if money wasn't given. Ireland is a funny owl country.

But almost every single person here has told you the opposite. Why are you so determined to call us all liars?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Yes but are a bit foolish it seems also to think that.

?? That makes no sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

I have to say the amount of bandwangoners on here is something astounding. I know if I had to pick 10 of you who had a wedding of similar scale ye would be the first to complain if money wasn't given. Ireland is a funny owl country.

The scale of your wedding is surely proportionate to what you can afford. If you held a big wedding, surely you could afford it and therefore shouldn't need you "insulting" friends to pick up the tab, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This is why I detest going to weddings, the guests are expected to cover the costs.
    Why don’t people just go and get married and take their two families for a meal and then feck off on their honeymoon?
    No, instead they want to put people to the trouble of taking a day off work, pay for babysitters, pay b&b and put a few hundred euro in an envelope.
    Get over yourselves. Big weddings should be a thing of the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

How was I to know they wouldn't pay for their dinner?

YOU invited them, they wouldn’t have been there unless YOU had asked them.

When YOU invite someone out for dinner YOU pay for it

I’m presuming this is a wind up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

red petal wrote: »
    @ OP, I'm just curious, having read 13 odd pages of people's opinions, do you still feel the same as when you started the thread?

By the looks of things he's actually gotten more entrenched in his position. Anyone who disagrees with him is now a bandwaggoner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Big Words

Dial Hard wrote: »
    By the looks of things he's actually gotten more entrenched in his position. Anyone who disagrees with him is now a bandwaggoner.

Didn’t realize there was that many lakers baseball fans here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

red petal wrote: »
    @ OP, I'm just curious, having read 13 odd pages of people's opinions, do you still feel the same as when you started the thread?
    The Fortress of Entitlement is defended by the Moat of My Special Day.

Tell us, OP. Did the well behaved guests give enough to cover the cost of your fantasy? T’would be a pity if you didn’t get the honeymoon out of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This is exactly the type of attitude that appalls me.

OP we got married 15 months or so ago. We did keep a list of who gave what simply so we could mention it in the thank-you cards. I know there are a load of our friends and family who either are not flush with cash or saving for something, or about to start a family. I'd be MORTIFIED if they thought they couldn't come to our wedding, which is a party we wanted to throw for our friends to celebrate something lovely happening to us. We had a present list available if people wanted it (with stuff from a fiver in Ikea etc. that we really wanted) so folks could get us something small that they knew we wanted and would appreciate without breaking the bank. I was a bit embarrassed having the list but it went down a storm.

Honestly one of the best presents we got was a star trek themed pizza cutter. It's AWESOME and every time we have pizza I think of the lovely friend who got it for us.

I would always try and bring something to a wedding if we are lucky enough to be invited ( I LOVE a good wedding but most of my bloody friends are commitment-phobes or you know, have only been allowed get married since 2015!). Having said that I was invited to my friends wedding when I was unemployed and on the dole. I had no money to spare, I couldn't even afford to stay in the hotel for the night or to drink anything but water when I was there. So he got a piece of art that i could afford.

You'd want to cop yourself on, OP.
    Lots of people here would say having a wedding list is a bit presumptuous, especially when the justification is "oh there's cheap stuff on the list too!".

Well done to the OP though, lots of little triggers within that post that were bound to set off the masses on these forums.

You ask what can you do about the people who did not give you a gift. Apart from asking them or letting it colour your judgement of them in future, not a lot I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Lads, I know I'm going to be incredibly unpopular here, but I think this thread has run its course.

I'm undecided whether the OP is trolling or not, but assuming they aren't, the opinion/advice on the thread has been pretty much unanimous. However the OP hasn't indicated that they've taken any of it on board, so I'm going to close the thread before it gets more out of hand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement