Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding guests not giving gifts (Mod note in 1st post!)

Options
  • 04-03-2019 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

I got married in the first few weeks of 2019 and going through the wedding cards and gifts there were at least 15 couples out of 300 people who didn't give a gift.

On the day we had a system in place that the groommen and bridesmaids give the cards directly to the mothers of the bride and groom and all people involved here were very responsible people and all cards went directly to the bride and grooms safe in the room. The system of cards going missing didn't occur because everyone was on the ball and I know that with the bridesmaids and groomsmen and both mothers.

However there were 15 couples in total that gave no gifts. Out of these 15 couples, 5 of them said they had gifts for us, which we haven't received yet (not going to, receive now).

1 or 2 guests turned up on the day with just picture frames (10 euro job) . I am not trying to sound like I'm miserable but it's bad form that 17 couples couldn't even cover the cost of having them there. People know the cost of things these days. At the end of the day we paid for them. They don't have to give anything I know but most people know thats pretty miserable thing to do and rude especially if they are going to drink eat and enjoy the entertainment at the bride and grooms expense.

Anyone have similar experience? And to those who say guests don't have to give anything. Have you got married recently and if so did you mind the experience of forking the bill for guests that didn't cough up the cash?

I'm sure there are many people on here who have experienced this and I know exactly what I'm talking about.

What did people do as a result as a matter of interest?

————————————————

Mod note: Why do threads like this get started in the middle of the night while I’m sleeping?! I’ve tidied up a couple of nonsense posts, and possibly against my better judgement, I’m leaving the thread open. But please remember to attack the post, not the poster!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

teednab-el wrote: »
    They don't have to give anything I know

I don't see what the problem is.

You invited them, they came, you all enjoyed yourselves, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

OU812 wrote: »
    I don't see what the problem is.

You invited them, they came, you all enjoyed yourselves, right?

Most people don't see it that way. Have you had a wedding recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

When I got married I did not analyse whether or not all guests had given gifts.

Their presence was a gift to us.

Some of them paid 157.50 for B&B, and I was ashamed and somewhat embarrassed that people paid that much.

Forget about it, focus on the love that is at the centre of marriages.

Gifts, etc. are all transient.

Love is permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

You simply shouldn't invite people who you are not happy to cater for end of story.
    Maybe they wanted to enjoy the day with you and having forked out on travel accommodation clothes and childminding couldn't afford a gift, but foolishly thought you wanted to share your day with them and that that was more important than your gift

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did the gig make a profit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We're they family or friends who didn't give, miserable so and sos,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

1 or 2 guests turned up on the day with just picture frames (10 euro job)
    but it's bad form that 17 couples couldn't even cover the cost of having them there.
    I am not trying to sound like I'm miserable
    But you are. You're picking examples of how you are. Were they able to drive home to where they came from, or did they have to rent a room?

I find miserable people think only of themselves, and not of the money the people had to pay to go to your wedding; the babysitters, the cost of fuel, staying at your wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would have to agree with above points. I wouldn’t attend a wedding and not give a gift, but wouldn’t be offended if any guests didn’t give one either (this happened) It’s not a business.
    The trick is to invite the people who mean something to you and your partner - Inviting 300 people means there are a lot of filler guests, and not all will want to fork out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Big Words

And the oh I’m getting married and I love my guests and don’t want gifts but now it’s all different when the hotel bill arrives. Op running a wedding on a profit isn’t possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I think it's bad manners not to bring some token or gift to a wedding you've been invited to, however small, although as others have said, attending a wedding can be a very expensive process in itself nowadays with the cost of clothing, accommodation, childcare, drinks, travel costs etc.

1 or 2 guests turned up on the day with just picture frames (10 euro job) . I am not trying to sound like I'm miserable but it's bad form that 17 couples couldn't even cover the cost of having them there. People know the cost of things these days. At the end of the day we paid for them. They don't have to give anything I know but most people know thats pretty miserable thing to do and rude especially if they are going to drink eat and enjoy the entertainment at the bride and grooms expense.

Anyone have similar experience? And to those who say guests don't have to give anything. Have you got married recently and if so did you mind the experience of forking the bill for guests that didn't cough up the cash?

However, I think the bolded comments above are bad manners on your part. At the end of the day, ye got married to the person you love, presumably had a lovely day and shouldn't be looking to make a profit off your friends and family on what should be one of the happiest days of your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paddy The Pirate

This post would make me take second thought as to the intentions of anyone who invited me to their wedding.

As previous posters have said, many of your guests may have already forked out decent chunks of cash.

Are you genuinely so petulant and shallow, that you would go as far as to figure out each guest who didn't contribute adequately to your feast?

Genuinely felt sick reading your post. How could you call yourself a friend to these people ?

If they saw this post, how would they feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

'Cough up the cash'

I love it...the mask slips

This post would make me take second thought as to the intentions of anyone who invited me to their wedding.

As previous posters have said, many of your guests may have already forked out decent chunks of cash.

Are you genuinely so petulant and shallow, that you would go as far as to figure out each guest who didn't contribute adequately to your feast?

Genuinely felt sick reading your post. How could you call yourself a friend to these people ?

If they saw this post, how would they feel?

+1 op totally fractious

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

it's bad form that 17 couples couldn't even cover the cost of having them there.

No it's not. The day is special to you, not them. They've probably been to five other weddings in the past year.

I give generous gifts at weddings, but I only go to weddings of people I'm actually still close to.

I wouldn't invite people to my wedding if I was relying on their cash donations to fund it - I'm very aware not everybody has a spare couple of hundred quid floating around.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

couples couldn't even cover the cost of having them there.

Why should they , at the end of the day it cost them to be there to make up your numbers so ye look like a popular couple, the fact your moaning says alot about u:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

And this is why I don't go to weddings.

Son - if you are reading this - you have been warned.
    Mammy of the groom will be washing my hair that day.
    What ever date you decide. Hair washing. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

that you'd comment or even notice and sound very dismissive of the picture frames means i lost any sympathy or empathy i may have had.

bad form.

weddings arent done for profit whetger monetary or otherwise.
    they are supposedly a happy day to share with people who are happy to be there to see a couple marry.

a gift shouldnt have to cover the expense the couple went to to put on the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    And this is why I don't go to weddings.

Son - if you are reading this - you have been warned.
    Mammy of the groom will be washing my hair that day.
    What ever date you decide. Hair washing. :cool:

Hope your joking , if ye were my ma id let ye rot in your old age

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

So you invited 300 of your beloved family and closest friends (!) and only 15 couples or so didn't give gifts? You did quite well tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I don't know 300 people never mind 300 I'd invite to a wedding.
    Sorry your wedding cost ya a few quid OP but you're coming across very petty here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jaysus this says a lot about you... talk about a bloody money grabber/gift checker.

You decided to get married. Your guests were invited as “friends”, or were they invited due to the amount you could get from them?

Be happy with what you got. Your partner in life!

It ain’t all about money/gifts. I think you will find that in life money may be important, but it is not THE most important thing in life.

Your “special” day is now an audit of what you got or didn’t get from people. That’s a great way to start a marriage. Imagine having to divvy up this in the divorce!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Dayo93 wrote: »
    Hope your joking , if ye were my ma id let ye rot in your old age

If I was your Ma I'd die of shame that a son of mine would write such a badly constructed sentence.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

However there were 15 couples in total that gave no gifts. Out of these 15 couples, 5 of them said they had gifts for us, which we haven't received yet (not going to, receive now).

I'm sure there are many people on here who have experienced this and I know exactly what I'm talking about.

What did people do as a result as a matter of interest?

Couple of questions if you don't mind.
    How many of the 120 other couples over exceeded the cost of having them there on the day? How much did they exceed the cost by? ( would it cover much of the cost of those that did not pay)

Surely out of 300 people they can't all be close close friends and will not deem it justifiable to put in what you feel would cover the costs of them being there.

All seems a bit like a money making exercise. Almost like an election vote.

€10 frames comment is bit of a low blow to some who might be feeling they have to attend because of invitation.

I'd be more inclined to get on with the business of being married and accepting genuine good wishes from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

that 17 couples couldn't even cover the cost of having them there.

You're not an event promoter, if you expect to cover costs like Akon Productions its not an invitation.

From Cavan per chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

ED E wrote: »
    its not an invitation.

From Cavan per chance?

Its a fcukin summons ;)

Who on Earth has a 300-person wedding and then expects everyone to "cough up the cash" to be there.

All you did with your popularity exercise was make the thing less intimate for the people you actually wanted there. Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Poor planning on your behalf OP. You should have been upfront and not send intvites, but instead sold tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Who on Earth has a 300-person wedding and then expects everyone to "cough up the cash" to be there.

All you did with your popularity exercise was make the thing less intimate for the people you actually wanted there. Waste of time.

Red neck wedding/collection.

The boom is back, we have to have a prodigious wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

On the day we had a system in place that the groommen and bridesmaids give the cards directly to the mothers of the bride and groom .The system of cards going missing didn't occur because everyone was on the ball and I know that with the bridesmaids and groomsmen and both mothers.

Op even the way you describe this system you had arranged for cards /money. You make it sound like you were organising someone to take the entrance fee at a nightclub. Most ppl don't consider the gift aspect never mind prempt a chain of authorised ppl to get it from guest to brides safe! I've seen random uncles and brothers hand over crumpled envelopes that were given to them to pass on. I've never heard of anyone so obsessed about the money from the off. Says a lot about you tbh. Also I note you aren't asking if you're 'right' to be annoyed. You're asking what did other ppl do in same position. So basically you want ppl to advise you how to get your 'fee' back is it ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement